Do you find the "Saints" name/logo offensive?

Do you find the Saints logo/name offensive?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. The name "Saints" is offensive to me because

• It is a religious theme which has no part in the NFL
    • It is a name that evokes violence and death
    • It is a name that symbolizes a weapon
    • I don't find it offensive but will stand behind anyone who is offended by it

Do you find the name offensive and should New Orleans change the name of their team? Various possible responses 

Is the name Saints related to religion which has no place in the NFL

Is the name Saints synonymous with death and violence in history?

Is the name Saints and their logo similar to a weapon?

Is the name Saints acceptable but you will stand behind anyone who feels it is offensive?

Edited by BringBackFergy
  • Sad 4
  • Haha (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I voted for all four since I feel a whirlwind of emotions every time I hear the name. As a proud mormon, I am immensely offended. I'm glad Fergy is here to provide this safe space. 

Well said. I’m interested to see if others share the same sentiment. 

13 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I guess you fellas are just confused or sad. 

I know you’re fighting hard to be the board’s top troll, but this reeks of trying just a little too hard.

”It represents a weapon”? What weapon?

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Option 5 - It’s just a name 

Yep, not offended at all but I am not religious.

And I am not offended by a fleur-de-lis either.

Glad camp starts in 2 days.

15 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I know you’re fighting hard to be the board’s top troll, but this reeks of trying just a little too hard.

”It represents a weapon”? What weapon?

Yeah. Weapon. Ever watch “Wizard of Oz”?

1EF90485-7FA1-465B-96A7-66F3F7AE61EB.jpeg

9879F14E-9EC8-409C-81F4-AA1043FB96C2.jpeg

Edited by BringBackFergy
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, MDFan said:

Is the off-season over yet?

Start of training camp more important than offending those who disagree with such symbolism? And before you say “Relax”, I don’t care about Indians or cowboys, but this Saints thing really rubs me the wrong way. Needs to change. 

The Fleur de Lis was used in Louisiana, and New Orleans in particular, to brand slaves and blacks accused of criminal conduct (such as "insufficient obedience to whites") well in to the 1890s.

It's a far more oppressive symbol than the Confederate flag.  No one was ever physically mutilated with that.

(No, I'm not making any of that up.)

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Start of training camp more important than offending those who disagree with such symbolism? And before you say “Relax”, I don’t care about Indians or cowboys, but this Saints thing really rubs me the wrong way. Needs to change. 

You're pathetic.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The Fleur de Lis was used in Louisiana, and New Orleans in particular, to brand slaves and blacks accused of criminal conduct (such as "insufficient obedience to whites") well in to the 1890s.

It's a far more oppressive symbol than the Confederate flag.  No one was ever physically mutilated with that.

Quite the juxtaposition with the name “Saints”. 

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I should have added response #5. Thx. Equally offensive

5 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

You're pathetic.

Your contributions to this board are well reasoned and german to the issue at hand. 

Just now, Augie said:

Quite the juxtaposition with the name “Saints”. 

Not really.  Christian missionary zeal was a significant component of Western slavery, just as Islamic "evangelicalism" was in Eastern, Middle Eastern, and Mediterranean slavery.

But c'mon...a black player signs with New Orleans, and they're required to wear a symbol used to brand slaves?  We're complaining about the "Washington Redskins," but not this?  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Not really.  Christian missionary zeal was a significant component of Western slavery, just as Islamic "evangelicalism" was in Eastern, Middle Eastern, and Mediterranean slavery.

But c'mon...a black player signs with New Orleans, and they're required to wear a symbol used to brand slaves?  We're complaining about the "Washington Redskins," but not this?  

Again. Well said. 

3 hours ago, rodneykm said:

I appreciate your profound commentary. 

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Obviously, I’m talking in today’s local context. However, I might go in half- sies with you if you want to blackmail that Saints with this potential faux pas. It could be a bonanza! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Obviously, I’m talking in today’s local context.

You're not allowed to do that these days.  Language and symbols can only evolve to become more offensive, not less.  If a statue of Stonewall Jackson must stand for racism and abuse for all eternity, so must the fleur de lis.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

You've teetered over the line of being the most pathetic poster I've ever seen on a message board. 

Can you use a word other than pathetic? Call me lame, goofy, asinine, dopey....but pathetic has been used three times now. Go to www.thesaurus.com