Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

LMAO...57 pages for a guy on the roster bubble since they won't carry 3 QB on active roster.  He will keep rotating with ones until at least 1 preseason game is completed.  AJ and Allen have been better overall since TC has started...NP has an ok day today and all of a sudden people want to start the NP will start week 1 train as if its inevitable again.  

Is it possible...absolutely.  Is it likely...not really.  He has mostly struggled in camp under pressure so far, didn't carry his momentum from OTA's, and still lacks consistency.  AJ is going to be the safer more conservative QB and Allen is going to be the immense upside QB.  One will start, one will sit.  NP will go to PS or someone else. 

Prediction, NP will be the 3rd QB to enter the 2nd preseason game and won't get any more reps with the ones after that.

8 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

you're purposely ignoring the reporting out of sheer ignorance

When Peterman gets his feet set in pocket there is a noticeable difference in zip on the ball from last year. But as he’s rolling out and can’t set-up (throwing on the run) it’s still too late getting there giving DBs opportunities.

— Sal Capaccio ? (@SalSports) July 26, 2018

Also from the first day of practice:

Perhaps day one of training camp served as evidence of things needed to be fine tuned by each QB versus proof of permanent limitations. 

I’ll say this today I feel pretty good about my bet on the opening day starter. Allen vs. Peterman with McCarron as a no bet. I have a decent chance to win (Allen) and a very small chance to lose (Peterman). The likely scenario is McCarron (which doesn’t cost me anything). 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll say this today I feel pretty good about my bet on the opening day starter. Allen vs. Peterman with McCarron as a no bet. I have a decent chance to win (Allen) and a very small chance to lose (Peterman). The likely scenario is McCarron (which doesn’t cost me anything). 

That's a good bet. But Peterman is not starting. 

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's a good bet. But Peterman is not starting. 

That’s why I like it. I think it’s almost impossible for me to lose at this point. I MAY win with Allen and at worst it is no bet. It’s house money at this point.

In fact, I’m going to offer @BurpleBull the opportunity to buy his way out of this bet. For this hat: https://www.shopthebills.com/buffalo-bills-hat---heather-hype-fitted.aspx and an admission that Peterman will never be good I will let him out. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Are you still predicting that he will be the week one starter? Do you feel there is something you've seen that would indicate he will overtake McCarron, and not be overtaken by Allen?

I'm holding to Peterman as starter although I believe McCarron has a good chance.

The competition will come down to McCarron and Peterman...I really believe this.

I feel good about Peterman taking control of this thing.

• Haha (+1) 1

This thread reminds me of the Michael Jasper hype from years ago on BBMB, a small contingency of people incredibly excited for a guy who ultimately gets cut. Not saying NP will be cut, but I highly doubt he ends up the starter. He will have more pages on this thread then he will TD's in his career.

45 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

This thread reminds me of the Michael Jasper hype from years ago on BBMB, a small contingency of people incredibly excited for a guy who ultimately gets cut. Not saying NP will be cut, but I highly doubt he ends up the starter. He will have more pages on this thread then he will TD's in his career.

much like  The Chroise  

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's between McCarron and Allen for the starting QB job.

This thread has reached such bizarre lows.

If this were true, Peterman wouldn't still be getting 1st team reps. McDermott doesn't waste time. If Peterman were definitively out of contention he would be relegated to the 2nd and 3rd string for the remainder of camp.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If this were true, Peterman wouldn't still be getting 1st team reps. McDermott doesn't waste time. If Peterman were definitively out of contention he would be relegated to the 2nd and 3rd string for the remainder of camp.

They will wait until the 1st preseason game for that. That is also when Allen will be elevated from the 3’s. They will eliminate one of Peterman or McCarron by the conclusion of the 1st preseason game. Then it will be dependent on Allen’s development as to whether or not he is ready for opening day. It’s 2 different things going on. Allen’s development is independent of the competition between Peterman and McCarron.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Murph needs to check with the lost and found booth. He seems to have lost his neck? :ph34r:

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s why I like it. I think it’s almost impossible for me to lose at this point. I MAY win with Allen and at worst it is no bet. It’s house money at this point.

In fact, I’m going to offer @BurpleBull the opportunity to buy his way out of this bet. For this hat: https://www.shopthebills.com/buffalo-bills-hat---heather-hype-fitted.aspx and an admission that Peterman will never be good I will let him out. 

You are vindictive and merciless. Let your gambling partner go and show grace. Didn't you go to a Catholic College? Playing the odds it would be McCarron starting with Allen as the backup. The real bet is predicting what game will Allen get the starting nod or not? :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Murph needs to check with the lost and found booth. He seems to have lost his neck? :ph34r:

You are vindictive and merciless. Let your gambling partner go and show grace. Didn't you go to a Catholic College? Playing the odds it would be McCarron starting with Allen as the backup. The real bet is predicting what game will Allen get the starting nod or not? :devil:

I don't think Allen will start before week eight. But, I would be willing to bet a Bills hat that he doesn't start before week five.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:54 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

you're purposely ignoring the reporting out of sheer ignorance

When Peterman gets his feet set in pocket there is a noticeable difference in zip on the ball from last year. But as he’s rolling out and can’t set-up (throwing on the run) it’s still too late getting there giving DBs opportunities.

— Sal Capaccio ? (@SalSports) July 26, 2018

Burple, I think that's great if Peterman has more zip, but the question raised by the above quote is will that difference in zip translate to actual game situations, under pressure?

It's not unique to Peterman; Allen has been working on fixing some issues with his lower body mechanics and with accuracy on short throws, and the big question unanswered during practices is "will that translate to games?"

In other words, the tweet you're quoting above both acknowledges Peterman's "improved zip", and suggests that in more realistic situations (throwing on the run), that doesn't translate into being able to hit tight windows.

My question about Peterman is wholly different.  I think he's got too much "hero ball" in his blood and that circuit in successful QB brains that says "you can't do that" appears to be underdeveloped. 

• Like (+1) 1

the mods need to make sure this thread doesn't end up in the archives by mid October.  

there will be a lot of humble pie / eating of crow by then.  

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If this were true, Peterman wouldn't still be getting 1st team reps. McDermott doesn't waste time.

If Peterman were definitively out of contention he would be relegated to the 2nd and 3rd string for the remainder of camp.

this is so true.  

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It's just a statement of the inevitable.

Peterman will shoot himself in the foot and/or McCarron and/or Allen will be significantly better than Peterman.

Just call me soothsayer  :flirt:

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Burple, I think that's great if Peterman has more zip, but the question raised by the above quote is will that difference in zip translate to actual game situations, under pressure?

It's not unique to Peterman; Allen has been working on fixing some issues with his lower body mechanics and with accuracy on short throws, and the big question unanswered during practices is "will that translate to games?"

In other words, the tweet you're quoting above both acknowledges Peterman's "improved zip", and suggests that in more realistic situations (throwing on the run), that doesn't translate into being able to hit tight windows.

My question about Peterman is wholly different.  I think he's got too much "hero ball" in his blood and that circuit in successful QB brains that says "you can't do that" appears to be underdeveloped. 

Yeah. 

This exactly.

Favre was a hero ball guy, for example.

That works when you have an arm like favre (or Allen, who seems to like hero ball too).

It doesn't work when your arm isn't that strong, like Peterman.

The further along we get into camp the more I see Allen as the starter and AJM as the backup.  Allen is not making huge mistakes and he's flashing enough big play potential to make me think he can handle the job.  AJM is, I think, the perfect backup -- he can manage a team if needed, won't make big mistakes, and won't force the issue.  He'll also help Allen in practice and games; I see it like a Kelly/Reich relationship.

Peterman is the odd man out.  While he knows the offense he's not consistent, and he's a bit too much of a gunslinger given the lack of arm talent.  I fear he would make the crushing mistake when it mattered most.  Oddly enough, I look at him as Fitz-like, which is not what this team needs.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the mods need to make sure this thread doesn't end up in the archives by mid October.  

there will be a lot of humble pie / eating of crow by then.  

this is so true.  

A lot of humble pie eating because Peterman is the entrenched starter?

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Are you equivocating? Didn't you say that he was going to start right from the start? :)

I said I think it is very possible he starts week 1.  Still believe that.  I think he is the Quarterback in Green Bay - week 4.  If I was betting that is where I would bet.  

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

There is no odd man out. The same bozos that hate Nate are the same  ones that said a.j. couldn't beat out Dalton. Well guess what...one of the two will start. I hope we keep three because we  may need those options starting next week.

Thinking a guy is bad and hating him are different. I think Peterman is a bad QB. AJ couldn’t beat out Dalton. The offense actually declined quite a bit when AJ took over for Dalton. AJ is a decent game manager that isn’t going to make a lot of mistakes or plays. He’s like having Brian Hoyer or someone of that quality. If they have to play for a month they won’t kill you.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Thinking a guy is bad and hating him are different. I think Peterman is a bad QB. AJ couldn’t beat out Dalton. The offense actually declined quite a bit when AJ took over for Dalton. AJ is a decent game manager that isn’t going to make a lot of mistakes or plays. He’s like having Brian Hoyer or someone of that quality. If they have to play for a month they won’t kill you.

For that reason I don't care if a.j or Nate starts. I think Nate has a quicker, sharper release, so I'm 50/50 on that. I'm in the crowd of not starting Josh ...day one...and for the last fing time, Dalton is Cincy,s guy. A.j. was never gonna get a chance to unseat him. When people use that argument, that just shows bias and/or ignorance.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

For that reason I don't care if a.j or Nate starts. I think Nate has a quicker, sharper release, so I'm 50/50 on that. I'm in the crowd of not starting Josh ...day one...and for the last fing time, Dalton is Cincy,s guy. A.j. was never gonna get a chance to unseat him. When people use that argument, that just shows bias and/or ignorance.

I’ve never seen anyone use that argument here. Maybe I’m not paying attention? The league spoke pretty loudly on their opinion of McCarron this offseason. He got half of what guys like Bridgewater and McCown did. He can be a decent placeholder.

I don’t believe that Peterman can. He isn’t an NFL QB. He has horrendous pocket presence and terrible decision making. When pressure comes he is at his worst. That’s why he always does well on shorts and a t shirt but not when the bullets fly. It has been that way since his time at Pitt. They called him “Nervous Nate.” 

Allen needs to be viewed independently of the other 2. He’s on his own schedule. When he starts is dependent on Allen, not the other 2. He’s going to get the job at some point. We just need to hope that when he does he is the guy that we all hope he is. If not, we will be looking again in 2020.

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

A lot of humble pie eating because Peterman is the entrenched starter?

more like  Allen will be the starter and has improved most 

or J Allen will be redshirted 

I don't think Peterman will be the starter.  

also imo don't think he'll be cut by week 1 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Are you equivocating? Didn't you say that he was going to start right from the start? :)

I think this is  called  -- covering all his bases.

No offense meant to gunner   

just a bit of levity 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with both.

I'm waiting to see how Peterman will fare from last season in live game action as well.

I'm hopeful that he's learned the things he shouldn't do this time around, seeing how much is riding on it.

I can't imagine that he would dive head-first to end a scramble or try to throw the out route so casually without knowing that he can actually get the ball to the receiver this time around.

I think he'll be fine...but we'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I think this is  called  -- covering all his bases.

No offense meant to gunner   

just a bit of levity 

Gunner is an all-star on this board. No one is beyond making misjudgments especially when one is  so willing to enter the ever shifting arena of opinions. His batting average is at the top, or near the top, in this league made up of opinionated speculators. The only problem I have with him is his over the pond accent. He needs to Americanize it more so he can be understood. He's a good fellow who drinks that dark drudge called Guinness. That is an ugly brew! :)

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

I agree with both.

I'm waiting to see how Peterman will fare from last season in live game action as well.

I'm hopeful that he's learned the things he shouldn't do this time around, seeing how much is riding on it.

I can't imagine that he would dive head-first to end a scramble or try to throw the out route so casually without knowing that he can actually get the ball to the receiver this time around.

I think he'll be fine...but we'll see.

Check out the Astro-Notes.  He often has a different perspective on Bills TC.

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Gunner is an all-star on this board. No one is beyond making misjudgments especially when one is  so willing to enter the ever shifting arena of opinions. His batting average is at the top, or near the top, in this league made up of opinionated speculators. The only problem I have with him is his over the pond accent. He needs to Americanize it more so he can be understood. He's a good fellow who drinks that dark drudge called Guinness. That is an ugly brew! :)

Guinness is good for you!  Why is American Beer like "making love in a canoe?"

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Guinness is good for you!  Why is American Beer like "making love in a canoe?"

I have tried. I just can't hack the wretched stuff. My first experience with that thick fluid was in an Irish bar filled with brogue accented alcohoholics. I nearly puked. The Irish inhabitants at the pub snickered and sneered at such amateurish behavior. I am forever biased against it. :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have tried. I just can't hack the wretched stuff. My first experience with that thick fluid was in an Irish bar filled with brogue accented alcohoholics. I nearly puked. The Irish inhabitants at the pub snickered and sneered at such amateurish behavior. I am forever biased against it. :ph34r:

Oh, Man!  And the Irish stuff tastes smoother than the stuff that crosses the ocean, too!

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Man!  And the Irish stuff tastes smoother than the stuff that crosses the ocean, too!

I know I am opening myself to ridicule but I usually drink Light Beer. Amstel Light is in my fridge.  I'm well aware that I am a minor league drinker who will never make it to the majors.  I'm a peasant who will never be bumped up to a higher class. Not only do I know the lane I am driving in I'm also very comfortable with my downtrodden status.