Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

I think anyone who recognizes QB talent, realizes that Peterman has some, but almost none.

He will throw 6 INTs in Q1 if McDermott is stupid enough to start him, but McD will see that in camp or game 1 of preseason.

NP  is definitely odd man out - practice squad?  Maybe, but I doubt it .  mcBeane can find someone better.

Josh Allen starts against the Ravens

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve never seen anyone use that argument here. Maybe I’m not paying attention? The league spoke pretty loudly on their opinion of McCarron this offseason. He got half of what guys like Bridgewater and McCown did. He can be a decent placeholder.

I don’t believe that Peterman can. He isn’t an NFL QB. He has horrendous pocket presence and terrible decision making. When pressure comes he is at his worst. That’s why he always does well on shorts and a t shirt but not when the bullets fly. It has been that way since his time at Pitt. They called him “Nervous Nate.” 

Allen needs to be viewed independently of the other 2. He’s on his own schedule. When he starts is dependent on Allen, not the other 2. He’s going to get the job at some point. We just need to hope that when he does he is the guy that we all hope he is. If not, we will be looking again in 2020.

Good post Kirby.  I would only add that AJ has a "chance" of being better than a placeholder.  If Allen is the #2 that means he has to be ready to replace AJ

at any time.  If they don't like that chance Peterman will stay on as an active QB at least for a while.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Burple, I think that's great if Peterman has more zip, but the question raised by the above quote is will that difference in zip translate to actual game situations, under pressure?

It's not unique to Peterman; Allen has been working on fixing some issues with his lower body mechanics and with accuracy on short throws, and the big question unanswered during practices is "will that translate to games?"

In other words, the tweet you're quoting above both acknowledges Peterman's "improved zip", and suggests that in more realistic situations (throwing on the run), that doesn't translate into being able to hit tight windows.

My question about Peterman is wholly different.  I think he's got too much "hero ball" in his blood and that circuit in successful QB brains that says "you can't do that" appears to be underdeveloped. 

Thanks for the heads-up.

Really enjoyed his reporting. Detailed and felt unbiased.

A lot of times based on the overwhelming tweets you get on Allen and the very few highlight plays you get tweeted on Peterman, it can really leave one believing that Peterman just isn't doing enough to warrant any shine.

Very good to know that Peterman was doing a lot of the little things right that would ordinarily go unreported.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Check out the Astro-Notes.  He often has a different perspective on Bills TC.

Guinness is good for you!  Why is American Beer like "making love in a canoe?"

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Really enjoyed his reporting. Detailed and felt unbiased.

A lot of times based on the overwhelming tweets you get on Allen and the very few highlight plays you get tweeted on Peterman, it can really leave one believing that Peterman just isn't doing enough to warrant any shine.

Very good to know that Peterman was doing a lot of the little things right that would ordinarily go unreported.

Astro is Awesome!  All Astro's stuff about looking the safety off and the like.  Thought you'd enjoy that.

I think what really intrigues our coaches about Peterman is what a head he reportedly has for the game.  He "gets" stuff about the D, he has a deep understanding of the  offense.  What remains to be seen is if he can learn to handle pressure, to understand his limitations, and to tone down his "hero" gene and take the sack or throw the ball away.  It's a tough one, because sometimes the D is just that tough and if the QB doesn't try to stand in there and sling it, the O will go nowhere.

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

I think anyone who recognizes QB talent, realizes that Peterman has some, but almost none.

He will throw 6 INTs in Q1 if McDermott is stupid enough to start him, but McD will see that in camp or game 1 of preseason.

NP  is definitely odd man out - practice squad?  Maybe, but I doubt it .  mcBeane can find someone better.

Good to see you, Senator!  The unanswered question is, if McD can see that in camp or preseason, why wasn't it seen last year?

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I know I am opening myself to ridicule but I usually drink Light Beer. Amstel Light is in my fridge.  I'm well aware that I am a minor league drinker who will never make it to the majors.  I'm a peasant who will never be bumped up to a higher class. Not only do I know the lane I am driving in I'm also very comfortable with my downtrodden status. 

If you're a peasant, you should be drinking gruit - medieval ale flavored with bog myrtle, yarrow, etc and no hops.

A friend of mine asked for a light beer in Ireland.  They brought her a Killian Red - "that's as light as we get here, Lassie!"

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Astro is Awesome!  All Astro's stuff about looking the safety off and the like.  Thought you'd enjoy that.

I think what really intrigues our coaches about Peterman is what a head he reportedly has for the game.  He "gets" stuff about the D, he has a deep understanding of the  offense.  What remains to be seen is if he can learn to handle pressure, to understand his limitations, and to tone down his "hero" gene and take the sack or throw the ball away.  It's a tough one, because sometimes the D is just that tough and if the QB doesn't try to stand in there and sling it, the O will go nowhere.

Good to see you, Senator!  The unanswered question is, if McD can see that in camp or preseason, why wasn't it seen last year?

If you're a peasant, you should be drinking gruit - medieval ale flavored with bog myrtle, yarrow, etc and no hops.

A friend of mine asked for a light beer in Ireland.  They brought her a Killian Red - "that's as light as we get here, Lassie!"

Yes, it's good knowing that he has some of the nuances of the passing game down at this stage in his career.

Peterman seems a lot more matured with his understanding of what needs to happen on the field then might be expected for a second-year player.

I think he's worked too hard at his game this offeseason to not apply it when it counts. 

I feel bad, because the poor guy was thrown to the wolves before he was ready against the Chargers.  I think that Peterman can be better than that game but still has a ceiling as a backup.  Also, the other two options are the top 10 pick and a sought after established backup who wants to prove that he can be a starter.   

Take away the bias of that Chargers game, and i still don't see it happening unless someone is injured or he dominates preseason while the others are horrible.

Edited by dgrochester55

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As I said before:  

My Prediction:  Peterman will be the 3rd QB to enter the 2nd preseason game and wont take any first team reps rest of preseason after the 2nd preseason game.  

My guess is it will be Allen.

19 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

I feel bad, because the poor guy was thrown to the wolves before he was ready against the Chargers.  I think that Peterman can be better than that game but still has a ceiling as a backup.  Also, the other two options are the top 10 pick and a sought after established backup who wants to prove that he can be a starter.   

Take away the bias of that Chargers game, and i still don't see it happening unless someone is injured or he dominates preseason while the others are horrible.

Thrown to the wolves??? It was week 11 against a team that was 3-6 and had just lost to the Jags. How long do you wear the uniform before the opposing team stops looking like big, bad wolves?

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

My guess is it will be Allen.

You don’t think that the Bills want Allen to get more reps vs. better competition? At some point soon they are going to slide him up the depth chart. Maybe it won’t be after preseason game 1 (I suppose it could be game 2) but it won’t be more than that. The Bills want him out there for the experience.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You don’t think that the Bills want Allen to get more reps vs. better competition? At some point soon they are going to slide him up the depth chart. Maybe it won’t be after preseason game 1 (I suppose it could be game 2) but it won’t be more than that. The Bills want him out there for the experience.

Absolutely they want him to get work vs. better competition, I just don't think it happens by the second game, with Allen as the first or second QB entering the ballgame.

Allen getting those early reps will depend on McCarron and Peterman's performances.

I think people underestimate this regime's steadfastness and patience.

If Allen jumps anybody on the depth chart assuming he's QB3 when preseason starts, I could see it happening by the third game.

25 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Absolutely they want him to get work vs. better competition, I just don't think it happens by the second game, with Allen as the first or second QB entering the ballgame.

Allen getting those early reps will depend on McCarron and Peterman's performances.

If Allen jumps anybody on the depth chart assuming he's QB3 when preseason starts, I could see it happening by the third game.

That’s where we disagree. McCarron and Peterman have nothing to do with Allen. He is their concern. They aren’t trying to identify who is “the guy” moving forward. They already did that. It is Allen. Their plan is to develop him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/1/2018 at 6:45 PM, The Senator said:

Nope. AJM.
Allen is still too rough.
we can hope though : )

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s where we disagree. McCarron and Peterman have nothing to do with Allen. He is their concern. They aren’t trying to identify who is “the guy” moving forward. They already did that. It is Allen. Their plan is to develop him.

I know they aren't trying to identify 'the guy' moving forward, they feel like they've found him in Allen.

But how do figure that the play of  McCarron and Peterman have no bearing on Allen?

If Allen just plays 'okay' in the preseason but McCarron and Peterman both have off-the-charts preseason performances, then their play will impact the coaches, leading them to the likely decision of having Allen remain third in the QB pecking order---effectively affecting Allen's chances of being named opening day starter. 

On the flip side, if Allen plays just 'okay' and both McCarron and Peterman play horrendously, then chances are Allen gets by on his 'okay' showing and improves his chances of being named starter.

I think each guy is trying to look his best and win the starting job, I don't think either McCarron or Peterman is trying to ward off Allen in particular or losing sleep over nightmares of Josh Allen leapfrogging the two of them on the depth chart.

Allen getting on the field sooner rather than later depends on how good he looks when measured against both McCarron and Peterman.

30 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I know they aren't trying to identify 'the guy' moving forward, they feel like they've found him in Allen.

But how do figure that the play of  McCarron and Peterman have no bearing on Allen?

If Allen just plays 'okay' in the preseason but McCarron and Peterman both have off-the-charts preseason performances, then their play will impact the coaches, leading them to the likely decision of having Allen remain third in the QB pecking order---effectively affecting Allen's chances of being named opening day starter. 

On the flip side, if Allen plays just 'okay' and both McCarron and Peterman play horrendously, then chances are Allen gets by on his 'okay' showing and improves his chances of being named starter.

I think each guy is trying to look his best and win the starting job, I don't think either McCarron or Peterman is trying to ward off Allen in particular or losing sleep over nightmares of Josh Allen leapfrogging the two of them on the depth chart.

Allen getting on the field sooner rather than later depends on how good he looks when measured against both McCarron and Peterman.

I’ll point to KC last year. Alex Smith was a legit MVP candidate. He is not there. Neither Peterman nor McCarron is in that league. Teams are looking for their guy to play. The Bills aren’t evaluating 3 guys. They are preparing Allen. This is way different than the last time 3 QBs we’re battling for the Bills job. They have already decided on the guy.

Allen’s timeline isn’t impacted by the placeholders in front of him. He is the guy as soon as he is ready. The Bills intentionally left  the path clear. They didn’t get a temporary guy until everyone else did. They don’t want any sort of controversy. They wanted to bring him along without roadblocks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll point to KC last year. Alex Smith was a legit MVP candidate. He is not there. Neither Peterman nor McCarron is in that league. Teams are looking for their guy to play. The Bills aren’t evaluating 3 guys. They are preparing Allen. This is way different than the last time 3 QBs we’re battling for the Bills job. They have already decided on the guy.

Allen’s timeline isn’t impacted by the placeholders in front of him. He is the guy as soon as he is ready. The Bills intentionally left  the path clear. They didn’t get a temporary guy until everyone else did. They don’t want any sort of controversy. They wanted to bring him along without roadblocks. 

It would be hard to state it any better than that. Any talk about the “other guys” is relegated to who could be a back up or what could we trade him for. It’s a matter of when.  Josh will be the guy, for better or worse. If they whiffed (as I fear they may have, but pray I’m wrong), I hope they get another shot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Thrown to the wolves??? It was week 11 against a team that was 3-6 and had just lost to the Jags. How long do you wear the uniform before the opposing team stops looking like big, bad wolves?

-Chargers were top 5 in sacks last year

-Chargers were top 3 in takeaway differential last year

-The Bills haven't won in LA/San Diego since 1985

-Had only a few days to practice with 1st team

-Chargers Head Coach was Anthony Lynn in his first year...a guy who knew our players VERY well having been a former coach here

-Chargers were 3-2 in their last 5 games, with their 2 losses being: a close game in NE against the Pats, and a 3 point loss to the Jags in Jacksonville in OT...the 2 teams who played in the AFC Championship Game

-Traveling across the country to start your first game ever is NOT conducive to a good performance

-Joey Bosa & Melvin Ingram = Bad opponents for a 5th Round Rookie

-Kelvin Benjamin got injured on the opening drive after catching a 20 yard pass...out for the game (we were already down Jordan Matthews)

Also taking into account everyone knew the Chargers were playing much better football at that point (after having loss their first 4 games), eventually finishing 9-7 on the year, it might as well be called "being thrown to the wolves" for a 5th round rookie with a few days to prepare.

It was one of the worst possible matchups for a rookie starting his first game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

-Chargers were top 5 in sacks last year

-Chargers were top 3 in takeaway differential last year

-The Bills haven't won in LA/San Diego since 1985

-Had only a few days to practice with 1st team

-Chargers Head Coach was Anthony Lynn in his first year...a guy who knew our players VERY well having been a former coach here

-Chargers were 3-2 in their last 5 games, with their 2 losses being: a close game in NE against the Pats, and a 3 point loss to the Jags in Jacksonville in OT...the 2 teams who played in the AFC Championship Game

-Traveling across the country to start your first game ever is NOT conducive to a good performance

-Joey Bosa & Melvin Ingram = Bad opponents for a 5th Round Rookie

-Kelvin Benjamin got injured on the opening drive after catching a 20 yard pass...out for the game (we were already down Jordan Matthews)

Also taking into account everyone knew the Chargers were playing much better football at that point (after having loss their first 4 games), eventually finishing 9-7 on the year, it might as well be called "being thrown to the wolves" for a 5th round rookie with a few days to prepare.

It was one of the worst possible matchups for a rookie starting his first game.

Good points, sure. (Although, were I more cynical, I might call it a list of excuses). Of course, that one stat line-- turnover differential (Chargers were +12)-- has a lot to do with Peterman. 

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Good points, sure. (Although, were I more cynical, I might call it a list of excuses). Of course, that one stat line-- turnover differential (Chargers were +12)-- has a lot to do with Peterman. 

But these aren't excuses, I just laid out all the information to present a fuller picture of why "being thrown to the wolves" is a fair assessment.

Whether or not Peterman contributed to their turnover differential, every team has a few games where they pick apart a QB (I know we did), so it's not like the Chargers were the only team playing that week & got an unfair stat boost while everyone else took the week off. Hell, they even forced a TO from Tyrod, simply because their pass rush was that good with Bosa & Ingram. Our O-line was outmatched play after play...remember all the threads whining about their "mic'd up" stuff, with the Chargers players laughing & joking about how easy it was to tear apart our O-line?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

But these aren't excuses, I just laid out all the information to present a fuller picture of why "being thrown to the wolves" is a fair assessment.

Whether or not Peterman contributed to their turnover differential, every team has a few games where they pick apart a QB (I know we did), so it's not like the Chargers were the only team playing that week & got an unfair stat boost while everyone else took the week off. Hell, they even forced a TO from Tyrod, simply because their pass rush was that good with Bosa & Ingram. Our O-line was outmatched play after play...remember all the threads whining about their "mic'd up" stuff, with the Chargers players laughing & joking about how easy it was to tear apart our O-line?

The embarrassing Bosa quote: "He didn't even try to block me."

?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

The term “being thrown to the wolves” is the very definition of a subjective statement. That being said, I understand that the line between “reasons” and “excuses” is also subjective, and I’m not going to challenge a single one of your points. (But, I do feel it’s fair to point out that 5 out of 12 points of the Charger’s turnover differential came from Peterman)

But, all that being said, I will say this (as I have said many times on this forum), Peterman’s five picks only tell half the story. When Tyrod came out the second half, to the exact same defense (who did NOT turn vanilla), the Bills looked like a different team. I was there. After TC, preseason, and ten weeks of the regular season, Peterman did not have enough of a grasp of the offense to lead that team in an actual game. 

And yet, he had given Dennison, and McDermott reason to believe he had. No one threw him to the wolves. He went willingly. 

On 8/1/2018 at 6:08 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

the mods need to make sure this thread doesn't end up in the archives by mid October.  

there will be a lot of humble pie / eating of crow by then.  

this is so true.  

Who the hell is eating humble pie?

Anyone like the OP who thought Peterman would start?

It will be McCarron or Allen.

Isn't this obvious to everyone, yet?

On 8/1/2018 at 7:09 AM, JohnC said:

Are you equivocating? Didn't you say that he was going to start right from the start? :)

I still think Allen will start right away, but McCarron might, which I'm fine with.

Peterman won't.

On 8/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, billsredneck1 said:

There is no odd man out. The same bozos that hate Nate are the same  ones that said a.j. couldn't beat out Dalton. Well guess what...one of the two will start. I hope we keep three because we  may need those options starting next week.

Soooooo.... you actually think Peterman still has a better chance of starting than Allen? :huh:

On 8/1/2018 at 11:24 AM, JohnC said:

Gunner is an all-star on this board. No one is beyond making misjudgments especially when one is  so willing to enter the ever shifting arena of opinions. His batting average is at the top, or near the top, in this league made up of opinionated speculators. The only problem I have with him is his over the pond accent. He needs to Americanize it more so he can be understood. He's a good fellow who drinks that dark drudge called Guinness. That is an ugly brew! :)

I thought Gunner was English, not Irish... doesn't that make him more of a Newcastle guy? 

Not that it matters much, but I like Guinness...

I like Newcastle...

I like Heineken...

I like Sierra Nevada...

I like Kirin Ichiban.

Nothing wrong with being a worldwide beer lover :beer:

On 8/1/2018 at 11:30 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

As I said before:  

My Prediction:  Peterman will be the 3rd QB to enter the 2nd preseason game and wont take any first team reps rest of preseason after the 2nd preseason game.  

Agreed 

7 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

No, not according to, ya know... our GM...

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/bills-gm-first-preseason-game-could-be-pivotal-for-rookie-qb-josh-allen

"I think you give everybody the fair amount of reps now. Right now we’re going with Nathan and A.J. with the majority of the ones and twos, but giving Josh at least a period a day – at least. And we’ll do that through the first preseason game, and then we’ll adjust from there and decide, Are we going to keep it the same? Are we going to give him more reps? Or are we going to give him less? Everything is earned here. And again, right or wrong, we’re not going to say that by this day we have to have a starter, or by this day we’ll know if Josh is going to be the No. 1, the No. 2 or the No. 3. We’re just going to let these guys compete."

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I thought Gunner was English, not Irish... doesn't that make him more of a Newcastle guy?

Not that it matters much, but I like Guinness...

I like Newcastle...

I like Heineken...

I like Sierra Nevada...

I like Kirin Ichiban.

Nothing wrong with being a worldwide beer lover :beer:

Just because the Brits have an antipathy toward the Irish that doesn't mean that they don't relish their Hibernian beer. Not having an affinity for certain people doesn't exclude you from having a taste for their brew. :)

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I still think Allen will start right away, but McCarron might, which I'm fine with.

Are you aware that you are equivocating? :)

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No, not according to, ya know... our GM...

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/bills-gm-first-preseason-game-could-be-pivotal-for-rookie-qb-josh-allen

"I think you give everybody the fair amount of reps now. Right now we’re going with Nathan and A.J. with the majority of the ones and twos, but giving Josh at least a period a day – at least. And we’ll do that through the first preseason game, and then we’ll adjust from there and decide, Are we going to keep it the same? Are we going to give him more reps? Or are we going to give him less? Everything is earned here. And again, right or wrong, we’re not going to say that by this day we have to have a starter, or by this day we’ll know if Josh is going to be the No. 1, the No. 2 or the No. 3. We’re just going to let these guys compete."

I've read this before and I wasn't talking practice reps, I was talking game reps, with Allen as the first or second QB to take the field.

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Watch the interception Peterman threw in the playoff game last year.

The ball was thrown way late, but it was thrown so weakly.  He just doesn't seem to have an NFL arm.

Yea, everyone is saying the Peterman has a noodle arm, but his legs really didn't get set on that play.  I want to see his zip in pre-season to see if the off-season program helped him.  I like his quick release, and I like his football cognitive mindset.  He's not afraid to throw it.  Regardless of what the haters say, we haven't seen enough plays to write him off.  The coach's must see something, because they've could've let him go and no one would've questioned it.  I bet we could name a dozen great QBs with average arms (Montana, Griese, Tarkenton come to mind).  Let's see how he plays in August.  

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Always been fine with McCarron if he wins the job, I just think (and prefer) Allen will end up winning it because he'll just progress and outshine the other 2 guys.

Ultimately, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Allen sitting for a little while. I think the speed of the game will catch up to him in the preseason and McD will opt for the safer choice in AJM at least for now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

So we should definitely base what might happen to Peterman and McCarron off of how KC's QB situation played out?

KC's handling of their QB situation doesn't serve as a rulebook on when a switch from one QB to another is to be made for every team, because the circumstances are different.

We know that Josh Allen was brought in to take the reins at QB eventually, the goal of every team who newly drafts a QB in the early rounds is to play its QB, with the best case scenario being sooner rather than later.

You can turn to Mahomes' situation in KC, but it doesn't do away with the fact that how soon Allen is inserted in the lineup, is at least partly predicated on how both McCarron and Peterman perform.

Lastly, you mention how Allen will take over as soon as he is 'ready', while making mention of Mahomes' deal in KC; are you insinuating that Mahomes was given the keys at the correct time? Because from early camp reports, it sounds as though Mahomes is struggling mightily.

Alex Smith may have been a legit MVP candidate last season, but he was also a seven-year vet upon signing with KC, who was able to get KC out of the first round of the playoffs only once in four tries as QB, and would be turning 34 years old.

I think this was more an understanding by the Chiefs org. that Smith could take them but so far and a moving away from him in favor of a younger, much more dynamic QB, versus Mahomes being absolutely ready for the moment.

As I stated earlier, I think this regime is far more patient and steadfast in how they do things then people would like to believe. I don't believe they will insert Allen into the mix unless they feel he's absolutely ready to enter, but I also don't believe they would abruptly disrupt the flow of things possibly to the detriment of the team for the sake of finally showcasing Josh Allen to the world.

We more or less agree with one difference. I believe as soon as they think Allen is ready he will play. It isn’t about showcasing him as much as his development. The KC situation is just an example of how teams handle top 10 picks. KC was ready to move on from a guy playing really good football in hopes of getting great play. That’s the same thing that the Bills are trying to do with Allen. The difference is that McCarron/Peterman will NEVER play at the level Alex Smith was. If they were ready to move on I can’t imagine that the Bills would hesitate to move on from worse QB play.

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So we should definitely base what might happen to Peterman and McCarron off of how KC's QB situation played out?

KC's handling of their QB situation doesn't serve as a rulebook on when a switch from one QB to another is to be made for every team, because the circumstances are different.

We know that Josh Allen was brought in to take the reins at QB eventually, the goal of every team who newly drafts a QB in the early rounds is to play its QB, with the best case scenario being sooner rather than later.

You can turn to Mahomes' situation in KC, but it doesn't do away with the fact that how soon Allen is inserted in the lineup, is at least partly predicated on how both McCarron and Peterman perform.

Lastly, you mention how Allen will take over as soon as he is 'ready', while making mention of Mahomes' deal in KC; are you insinuating that Mahomes was given the keys at the correct time? Because from early camp reports, it sounds as though Mahomes is struggling mightily.

Alex Smith may have been a legit MVP candidate last season, but he was also a seven-year vet upon signing with KC, who was able to get KC out of the first round of the playoffs only once in four tries as QB, and would be turning 34 years old.

I think this was more an understanding by the Chiefs org. that Smith could take them but so far and a moving away from him in favor of a younger, much more dynamic QB, versus Mahomes being absolutely ready for the moment.

As I stated earlier, I think this regime is far more patient and steadfast in how they do things than people would like to believe. I don't believe they will insert Allen into the mix unless they feel he's absolutely ready to enter, but I also don't believe they would abruptly disrupt the flow of things possibly to the detriment of the team for the sake of finally showcasing Josh Allen to the world.

First , I want to say that I am an Allen supporter ,before the draft , during the draft , and now. I don't think they are going to rush him  and I believe that he will see starting  after 8- 10 games if at all this year.. Secondly ,I think that Peterman would be a better backup than AJM , because of the football IQ. and AJ,s proclivity to want to be #1. Not that Peterman doesn't  want that but Peterman i think would be a better "Reich "  to Allen  than AJ.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We more or less agree with one difference. I believe as soon as they think Allen is ready he will play. It isn’t about showcasing him as much as his development. The KC situation is just an example of how teams handle top 10 picks. KC was ready to move on from a guy playing really good football in hopes of getting great play. That’s the same thing that the Bills are trying to do with Allen. The difference is that McCarron/Peterman will NEVER play at the level Alex Smith was. If they were ready to move on I can’t imagine that the Bills would hesitate to move on from worse QB play.

My only issue with this is that it sounds as though you believe that the perceived readiness of Allen, would trump everything else going around him and I just don't believe that's how this regime operates.

The timing of the move, I think, would have to coincide with the direction the team as a whole was moving in at the time.

13 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

My only issue with this is that it sounds as though you believe that the perceived readiness of Allen, would trump everything else going around him and I just don't believe that's how this regime operates.

The timing of the move, I think, would have to coincide with the direction the team as a whole was moving in at the time.

I 100% believe that. I have no idea when Allen will be ready though. It could be week 1 and it could be next year. I don’t think Peterman or McCarron have any impact on Allen. 

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I 100% believe that. I have no idea when Allen will be ready though. It could be week 1 and it could be next year. I don’t think Peterman or McCarron have any impact on Allen. 

YES !!!

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

8 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I've read this before and I wasn't talking practice reps, I was talking game reps, with Allen as the first or second QB to take the field.

Dude, you're all over the place. :doh:

You say you've seen Beane's quote where he states, very directly, that Allen's going to be the 3rd QB in the depth/rep "through the first preseason game, and then we’ll adjust from there and decide, Are we going to keep it the same? Are we going to give him more reps? Or are we going to give him less? Everything is earned here."

I mean that's Beane very directly saying that, in fact, Allen's 1st preseason performance matters and if he plays really well in that game they might give him more significant reps than previously.

He says absolutely nothing about Peterman or McCarron there.

I think you overestimate your ability to distinguish what is said from what is meant.

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Dude, you're all over the place. :doh:

You say you've seen Beane's quote where he states, very directly, that Allen's going to be the 3rd QB in the depth/rep "through the first preseason game, and then we’ll adjust from there and decide, Are we going to keep it the same? Are we going to give him more reps? Or are we going to give him less? Everything is earned here."

I mean that's Beane very directly saying that, in fact, Allen's 1st preseason performance matters and if he plays really well in that game they might give him more significant reps than previously.

He says absolutely nothing about Peterman or McCarron there.

I think you overestimate your ability to distinguish what is said from what is meant.

Lol. Pretty sure I know exactly what was said.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3602072

"People overestimate this regime's steadfastment and commitment"

Please don't overestimate that steadfastment and commitment are good things. How about.. "flexibility when their master plan doesn't work"