Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Just to be clear: you're arguing for Peterman?

Yes. Peterman has accuracy in line with traditional NFL success. Many, many , many players have had his level of accuracy and fall way short. it's not an indicator of success, but not having it is a strong metric that rules in favor of failure.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not really. I just like what Peterman offers. 

Hahaha.

You are vastly underrating the talent that Allen is bringing to the team. 

Why people project things on to a guy like Peterman is beyond me. I don't know if they see some of themselves in them, like they want to support the underdog, or some such, but he ain't gonna play ahead of Allen. Like, your dreaming. This early camp ranking is all standard "veteran's first"-type jazz.

But I like to see these kind of posts, it adds to the fun. 

Just now, OJ Tom said:

Hahaha.

You are vastly underrating the talent that Allen is bringing to the team. 

Why people project things on to a guy like Peterman is beyond me. I don't know if they see some of themselves in them, like they want to support the underdog, or some such, but he ain't gonna play ahead of Allen. Like, your dreaming. This early camp ranking is all standard "veteran's first"-type jazz.

But I like to see these kind of posts, it adds to the fun. 

What talent? Be specific. Everyone talks about talent and potential, but those are just empty words unless you say what they're talented in.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Yes. Peterman has accuracy in line with traditional NFL success. Many, many , many players have had his level of accuracy and fall way short. it's not an indicator of success, but not having it is a strong metric that rules in favor of failure.

He blows.

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What talent? Be specific. Everyone talks about talent and potential, but those are just empty words unless you say what they're talented in.

So we're clear, you don't believe in the talent of Allen, who's never thrown an NFL pass...but you do believe in Nate Peterman, whose skill we've seen on display. 

And we're talking about Nate Peterman, the Bills QB right? 

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

So we're clear, you don't believe in the talent of Allen, who's never thrown an NFL pass...but you do believe in Nate Peterman, whose skill we've seen on display. 

And we're talking about Nate Peterman, the Bills QB right? 

I don't know what "talent" you're referring to. I've never heard it described on these boards with the exception of a strong arm.

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We weren’t talking straight WC. We were talking RPOs, moving pockets, wheel routes, etc... Tyrod is way better fit in Daboll’s offense than Dennison’s. 

As you well know I wasn't a Taylor fan. From my perspective he served a useful purpose while here but it was time to move on. But regardless what anyone thinks of him how he was handled was stupid. Denison had a philosophy and he was stubbornly sticking to. That is a dumb approach to take not only in the pros but also in college, high school and Pop Warner football. Rigidity as opposed to flexibility and adaptability is the hallmark of small minds and mediocrity. . 

McCarron and Peterman are qualitatively different talents than Allen. If they are handled the same way and the game plan is the same for each of then then this offense, as challenged as it seems to be, will stagnate even more than it should.

Leslie Frazier did a terrific job of utilizing the talents he had to work with. Make no mistake that the talent level on that unit was sub par. The defensive backfield was high quality but the LBing and DL had deficiencies. Without question he maximized the talent he had.. Hopefully, this year the OCe will be smarter in his utilization of the talent that he has to work with. 

• Like (+1) 5

Things don't bode well for Peterman (or McCarron, for that matter) to win the starting job.

There's only 1 QB on the roster who's consistently trended up through the entire offseason from OTAs to Minicamp to the first 3 days of Training Camp.

It's not Peterman.

It's not McCarron.

I said all along the first week of Training Camp would be the biggest indication of who our starting QB would eventually be.

Well, right now, 3 days in, there's a clear winner so far.

Allen will start.

tenor.gif?itemid=9151673

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I've already said it 30 times across various threads. There is EXTREMELY limited historical evidence of inaccurate strong armed QBs being successful int he NFL. There are 2 "successful" QBs I've found over the last 35 years that raised their compeltion percentage rating by 3 or more points from college (Favre and Moon). The way they play the game - Allen is a traditional gunslinger that whips it down the field while staring down a receiver and hopes for the best (Favre, Cutler). Peterman is more of a gamer that moves around in and out of the pocket and looks for a play. If Peterman succeeds int he NFL I think he looks something like Fitz or Garcia.

Most realistically, I think the Bills are drafting another 1rst round QB in 3 years.

I would take Favre

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Things don't bode well for Peterman (or McCarron, for that matter) to win the starting job.

There's only 1 QB on the roster who's consistently trended up through the entire offseason from OTAs to Minicamp to the first 3 days of Training Camp.

It's not Peterman.

It's not McCarron.

I said all along the first week of Training Camp would be the biggest indication of who our starting QB would eventually be.

Well, right now, 3 days in, there's a clear winner so far.

Allen will start.

tenor.gif?itemid=9151673

Maybe we're reading different reports. From what I've read, McCarron has been the most consistent. Have you read otherwise?

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When I read the evaluation of McCarron the first thought that popped into my head was Trent Edwards. That overly cautious mind-set is tough to break. 

That’s what it sounds like (and Edwards is my least favorite Bill ever). With that being said McCarron has been a winner throughout his life. I’d like to think that he has a tough competitive spirit. I’m not sure that he’s too physically gifted but he will make good decisions. He did, and still does, feel like a good backup to me. He’s the kind of guy that can play for a few weeks and not hurt you. He isn’t going to elevate anyone though.

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Maybe we're reading different reports. From what I've read, McCarron has been the most consistent. Have you read otherwise?

The Joe B post earlier said that Allen has been the best of the 3 so far. It’s up in the thread earlier.

38 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Strong analysis. I think we're done here.

Yes, I'm succinct...it's obvious that he blows. 

I'm more interested in why people latch on to guys that obviously blow.

Does he look like a close relative of yours? An old coach, or school chum? Maybe you have a similar haircut? 

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

yea, me with my facts and rationale and all, and you with a bunch of nondescript adjectives. Did someone leave the gas on?

Bro Peterman sucks get over it

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s what it sounds like (and Edwards is my least favorite Bill ever). With that being said McCarron has been a winner throughout his life. I’d like to think that he has a tough competitive spirit. I’m not sure that he’s too physically gifted but he will make good decisions. He did, and still does, feel like a good backup to me. He’s the kind of guy that can play for a few weeks and not hurt you. He isn’t going to elevate anyone though.

The Joe B post earlier said that Allen has been the best of the 3 so far. It’s up in the thread earlier.

I agree on the Edwards comparison. This is his job to lose, and today is only day 3 of camp so I am taking a wait and see approach to Allen. 

Peterman is not going to win this camp, he will be on PS by end of preseason.

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I've already said it 30 times across various threads. There is EXTREMELY limited historical evidence of inaccurate strong armed QBs being successful int he NFL. There are 2 "successful" QBs I've found over the last 35 years that raised their compeltion percentage rating by 3 or more points from college (Favre and Moon). The way they play the game - Allen is a traditional gunslinger that whips it down the field while staring down a receiver and hopes for the best (Favre, Cutler). Peterman is more of a gamer that moves around in and out of the pocket and looks for a play. If Peterman succeeds int he NFL I think he looks something like Fitz or Garcia.

Most realistically, I think the Bills are drafting another 1rst round QB in 3 years.

This is hilarious.

I was just asked if we are the same person using two different user names and I swear Jeff Garcia was the other QB whose game I thought Peterman's could end up resembling based on physical ability.

I wanted to be a bit modest though, because I think Garcia was a different breed of undersized QB's.

Very underrated but extremely productive.

Can't honestly put Peterman in Garcia's class because Garcia had a lot of backyard football in his game that I don't see in Peterman and I don't see the same moxie.

I think Peterman could excel at making the quick reads consistently and getting the ball where it needs to be with accuracy.

I'm really hoping Peterman sees these early training camp jitters as another obstacle he needs to get pass and quickly in order to take that next step in proving himself.

Can't wait to see his new throwing mechanics at work for myself in preseason.

Edited by BurpleBull

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 3

1) The Josh Allen Experience

...However, his next round of reps was with the first-team and went well. His lone missed attempt went for an interception on paper, but it was on a throw that you'd want your quarterback to try in that situation. Allen threw a jump ball to the 6-foot-5 Kelvin Benjamin, to which most times the receiver will come down with the ball. It was tight coverage and went off his hands not once, but twice, and hung up in the air -- to which Jordan Poyer came over and caught the pass right before it hit the ground. That throw is one that was not made enough over the last three years, so I'm not going to fault him for it. All in all, his day ended 5-of-8 with one touchdown and two interceptions, with only one being his fault. He had the best practice of the group on Saturday and has been the best quarterback at camp thus far.

2) McCarron playing it safe
- It's a bit frustrating with A.J. McCarron. Every once and again he'll see his first read and make a great throw down the field that makes you want to see more, but the remainder of the time shows a version of McCarron that is playing not to lose the job... Even though McCarron is completing the most passes, he has not been the most impressive quarterback.

3) Peterman looks nervous
- Training camp is three days old which is enough of a sample size to conclude that Nathan Peterman has not looked like the same player that he was during spring practices... In his first three days, Peterman has panicked in the pocket a bit and looks a little nervous to my eye. As a result, his accuracy has suffered, completing only 6-of-14 pass attempts over the last two days.

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

How and where did you look to find those 2 QB?  Asking because I just had a look at last year's top-10 passers.

Matt Stafford  Det: 62.0 % completions  Georgia (college): 57.1%  increase:  4.9%

Russ Wilson Sea: 64.0% completions  NC State: 57.8% increase: 6.2% Overall: 60.9% increase: 3.1%

Drew Brees 66.9% completions Purdue; 61.1% increase 5.8%

Matt Ryan 64.9% completions Boston College: 59.9% increase 5%

Kind of odd that you make a definitive pronouncement about EXTREMELY limited historical evidence and only 2 successful QB over 35 years that raised their completion % by 3 or more points, as though you've got knowledge or have done research, when I can just scan down last year's top-10 passers and find 4 QB who've done so without breaking a sweat.

Aside: why put "successful" in quotes as though there's some doubt?  Moon and Favre were successful NFL QB by any metric.  I believe the 4 guys listed above would also be widely considered as such.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 3

1) The Josh Allen Experience

...However, his next round of reps was with the first-team and went well. His lone missed attempt went for an interception on paper, but it was on a throw that you'd want your quarterback to try in that situation. Allen threw a jump ball to the 6-foot-5 Kelvin Benjamin, to which most times the receiver will come down with the ball. It was tight coverage and went off his hands not once, but twice, and hung up in the air -- to which Jordan Poyer came over and caught the pass right before it hit the ground. That throw is one that was not made enough over the last three years, so I'm not going to fault him for it. All in all, his day ended 5-of-8 with one touchdown and two interceptions, with only one being his fault. He had the best practice of the group on Saturday and has been the best quarterback at camp thus far.

2) McCarron playing it safe
- It's a bit frustrating with A.J. McCarron. Every once and again he'll see his first read and make a great throw down the field that makes you want to see more, but the remainder of the time shows a version of McCarron that is playing not to lose the job... Even though McCarron is completing the most passes, he has not been the most impressive quarterback.

3) Peterman looks nervous
- Training camp is three days old which is enough of a sample size to conclude that Nathan Peterman has not looked like the same player that he was during spring practices... In his first three days, Peterman has panicked in the pocket a bit and looks a little nervous to my eye. As a result, his accuracy has suffered, completing only 6-of-14 pass attempts over the last two days.

A different perspective...

Peterman started Day 1 of camp as Buffalo’s first-team QB. After McCarron started Day 2 as QB1, Peterman went back to the top of the depth chart on Saturday. All three have rotated in-and-out of the first-team lineup. Allen’s flashed, but been inconsistent to this point. The same can be said for McCarron. No ones taking the bull by the horns… yet.

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

A different perspective...

Peterman started Day 1 of camp as Buffalo’s first-team QB. After McCarron started Day 2 as QB1, Peterman went back to the top of the depth chart on Saturday. All three have rotated in-and-out of the first-team lineup. Allen’s flashed, but been inconsistent to this point. The same can be said for McCarron. No ones taking the bull by the horns… yet.

That's not a different perspective at all.

What you just posted accounts merely for the depth chart so far and says nothing about performance.

Allen was the one who was going into camp taking almost primarily 3rd team reps and then suddenly McDermott said now they're going to be split evenly. 

You're talking Apple's, I'm talking Zucchini.

13 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Got it. You're a troll. Been nice chatting with you. Sorry I didn't notice before. 

Right-o.  Bull Buchanan is a troll because he isn't bowing down to worship the fantasies that you and other gullible Bills fans spin about Allen, McDermott, Beane, etc based on nothing but wishful thinking.

Carry on proving your ignorance.

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's not a different perspective at all.

What you just posted accounts merely for the depth chart so far and says nothing about performance.

Allen was the one who was going into camp taking almost primarily 3rd team reps and then suddenly McDermott said now they're going to be split evenly. 

You're talking Apple's, I'm talking Zucchini.

I agree that you just may be talking Zucchini.

"Allen's flashed, but been inconsistent to this point".

"No one's taken the bull by the horn...".

Sounds very much like the opinion of a reporter who sees things from a different perspective and it sounds very much performance-based.

Allen or Peterman needs to be the opening day QB. AJ came here to be a starter. I don't think he's going to take it well if he's relegated to a back up roll again. 

That is why I'm hoping Allen blows away everyone, or Peterman beats out AJ. 

Best case: Allen starts, Peterman is back up. AJ is traded.

Case 2: Peterman starts, Allen is the back up and takes over mid-year, AJ is traded. 

Case 3: AJ starts , is awesome and plays lights out, Allen is the back up and is traded 3 years down the road. Peterman fades into obscurity. 

Worst case: AJ starts is nothing special and Allen takes over mid-season. AJ is PO'ed and wants out of buffalo. Peterman was let go before season started.

Of course I expect someone to say that all 3 are fantastic and we all dance off into fairytale land, but I don't see that happening. 

Which case makes the best sense for you? Rhetorical question BTW.

15 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

yea, me with my facts and rationale and all, and you with a bunch of nondescript adjectives. Did someone leave the gas on?

So far we have a Peterman who looks OK with no pads in minicamp, bad with pads in training camp, and we all know how he looks in a game. 

We have no idea how Allen will do yet as it’s early. I expected Peterman to be the starter this season but I’m under no illusions that the guy may suck, given his level of suckitude to date. We will see if McD is quick to pull the plug if he doesn’t start playing well. I expect he will be. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

2 hours ago, MikeSpeed said:

Allen or Peterman needs to be the opening day QB. AJ came here to be a starter. I don't think he's going to take it well if he's relegated to a back up roll again. 

That is why I'm hoping Allen blows away everyone, or Peterman beats out AJ. 

Best case: Allen starts, Peterman is back up. AJ is traded.

Case 2: Peterman starts, Allen is the back up and takes over mid-year, AJ is traded. 

Case 3: AJ starts , is awesome and plays lights out, Allen is the back up and is traded 3 years down the road. Peterman fades into obscurity. 

Worst case: AJ starts is nothing special and Allen takes over mid-season. AJ is PO'ed and wants out of buffalo. Peterman was let go before season started.

Of course I expect someone to say that all 3 are fantastic and we all dance off into fairytale land, but I don't see that happening. 

Which case makes the best sense for you? Rhetorical question BTW.

Here, I believe you are totally misreading McCarron's character.  There is nothing in him past or present that suggests he is anything but a good teammate, always.

He wanted a chance to compete for a starting job, which he clearly did not have in Cincy.  He didn't pout, he worked hard during the season and filed a grievance which he won.  The Bills were open and honest about it being a competition and about looking to draft a potential franchise QB.  It wouldn't surprise me if they made AJ an informal offer early on, but also told him "take your time, see if a team offers you a shot to 'be the man', we're offering competition, no more".  Teams didn't, his other offer was reportedly from the Pats*** who *seem* to have an entrenched starter.

AJ does not seem like the guy to pout or "not take it well".  He seems like he's a team guy first, and if he gets a fair shot and is out-competed I expect he will recognize it and continue to be a team guy.  I also don't think he's the guy to start and play "lights out".  He seems like the guy to start conservatively, not get you beat, and possibly start opening it up with coaching and encouragement after a few games.

If AJ starts and keeps the team "in the hunt", I expect the Bills to stick with him and not make a change until/unless they are "out of the race" for playoffs.

In other words, none of your scenarios make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 3

Just to be clear there is only one “best case scenario.” If Allen starts and looks like Watson did last year that is “best case scenario.” There are many other acceptable outcomes but that is the only “best case.” Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just to be clear there is only one “best case scenario.” If Allen starts and looks like Watson did last year that is “best case scenario.” There are many other acceptable outcomes but that is the only “best case.” Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

There are only terrible reruns on this channel.  Continue watching for any insomnia issues. 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here, I believe you are totally misreading McCarron's character.  There is nothing in him past or present that suggests he is anything but a good teammate, always.

He wanted a chance to compete for a starting job, which he clearly did not have in Cincy.  He didn't pout, he worked hard during the season and filed a grievance which he won.  The Bills were open and honest about it being a competition and about looking to draft a potential franchise QB.  It wouldn't surprise me if they made AJ an informal offer early on, but also told him "take your time, see if a team offers you a shot to 'be the man', we're offering competition, no more".  Teams didn't, his other offer was reportedly from the Pats*** who *seem* to have an entrenched starter.

AJ does not seem like the guy to pout or "not take it well".  He seems like he's a team guy first, and if he gets a fair shot and is out-competed I expect he will recognize it and continue to be a team guy.  I also don't think he's the guy to start and play "lights out".  He seems like the guy to start conservatively, not get you beat, and possibly start opening it up with coaching and encouragement after a few games.

If AJ starts and keeps the team "in the hunt", I expect the Bills to stick with him and not make a change until/unless they are "out of the race" for playoffs.

In other words, none of your scenarios make sense to me.

...certainly agree.....people staying up late at night to dream this crap up should know it can be hazardous to one's health.....AJ went in the 5th (STILL don't know why the OBD brain trusts never took a flyer on him), so I'm sure he's well grounded as well as being a Saban pupil......was probably SHOCKED at the rumors Bflo may take a QB in the 1st (COUGH)....