Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree that everything was with an eye to the future. They were still 5-4 at that point and it was a “winnable game” on paper (at least at that point). 9 weeks in the Bills were right in the middle of the playoff conversation. 

We were 4-2 when we traded Dareus and our run defense at that time was 4th in YPC. McDermott made every decision last year without worrying about its immediate impact on wins, and I commend him for it. So I can excuse his decision to start Peterman because all he really needed to know in that moment was if Dennison was worth keeping around, and if Peterman could show a flash of starter material.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. But that was a guess. A guess and an evaluation are different aren't they. I had spent hours watching Nathan Peterman. I hadn't spent hours reading Dave Gettleman's mind (wish him a fast recovery by the way).

Don't worry if I am wrong on Nathan Peterman you will all have plenty of time to dance on my reputation. I wouldn't bother buying new ballet shoes though.....

I always respect your evaluations. While I assume you've already posted it somewhere, could you give a quick summary of your take on Peterman?

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

And 90% of us already know TT was not our best option.   

And we are all glad he’s gone.  

Not all of us.  Lots of folks around here thought Tyrod was great.

In fact, some folks here are still waiting for EJ to turn the corner.  

LMFAO.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would rather the Bills win than be right about Nathan Peterman. But I am right about Nathan Peterman. I was right before the 2017 draft, right before he got on the field and I am right now. 

In other words the Bills are wrong

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't want to put words in his mouth but "He stunk. He stinks. He will stank in the near, middle and extended future."

Now I see why you are no longer fair and balanced. Give the kid a shot. It was one game.

5 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Now I see why you are no longer fair and balanced. Give the kid a shot. It was one game.

As a day 3 pick your opportunities are few and you need to make the most of them to get more. With only so many shots to go around this year he has not shown enough in college or the pros to warrant much more. If he lights it up maybe he earns some practice reps this year....

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

As a day 3 pick your opportunities are few and you need to make the most of them to get more. With only so many shots to go around this year he has not shown enough in college or the pros to warrant much more. If he lights it up maybe he earns some practice reps this year....

You're forgetting one thing. Jesus wants him to start.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I always respect your evaluations. While I assume you've already posted it somewhere, could you give a quick summary of your take on Peterman?

Sure. The summary is I think he has a limited arm and as a result benefited from the cliche that seems to follow limited arm strength Quarterbacks "he is smart and accurate". But I don't think a proper evaluation of his college tape really demonstrates that accuracy. 

He played in a gimmick offense, his ball placement was bad, his arm strength not NFL level and he panicked under pressure, tends to stare down the rush and let the ball go. The INT he threw over the middle in the Chargers game that is behind his receiver and sailed.... that throw is on his college tape multiple times. 

5 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

In other words the Bills are wrong

I think they were 100% and totally wrong to draft Nathan Peterman, yes. But that doesn't mean I hope he throws 5 picks every game to prove me right. I have zero interest in being right. But this is a forum for opinions. 

I gave my opinion on Peterman before the 2017 draft happened, before he was a Bill. It is up to him to do something to change it. Even his biggest supporter would have to accept that a good OTA and mini camp is not that. 

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure. The summary is I think he has a limited arm and as a result benefited from the cliche that seems to follow limited arm strength Quarterbacks "he is smart and accurate". But I don't think a proper evaluation of his college tape really demonstrates that accuracy. 

He played in a gimmick offense, his ball placement was bad, his arm strength not NFL level and he panicked under pressure, tends to stare down the rush and let the ball go. The INT he threw over the middle in the Chargers game that is behind his receiver and sailed.... that throw is on his college tape multiple times. 

I think they were 100% and totally wrong to draft Nathan Peterman, yes. But that doesn't mean I hope he throws 5 picks every game to prove me right. I have zero interest in being right. But this is a forum for opinions. 

I gave my opinion on Peterman before the 2017 draft happened, before he was a Bill. It is up to him to do something to change it. Even his biggest supporter would have to accept that a good OTA and mini camp is not that. 

Given your strong views on Peterman, I assume that you would be surprised about the media reports we are all reading of late..,

Im curious to know what level of performance would be required to change your opinion you made from his college days back in 2016...

Would winning the QB battle be enough and starting Week 1 .. this would require trusting McD’s and Daboll’s judgement...

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Given your strong views on Peterman, I assume that you would be surprised about the media reports we are all reading of late..,

Im curious to know what level of performance would be required to change your opinion you made from his college days back in 2016...

Would winning the QB battle be enough and starting Week 1 .. this would require trusting McD’s and Daboll’s judgement...

No. He would have to produce at a level of a serviceable NFL quarterback. Not necessarily look like an established starter... just produce at a level that makes me think "he could make a reliable backup".  That has to happen on the field in real games with real live bullets. He could go some way by doing it in real games in pre-season, but ultimately to change my mind that he has no place in the NFL he has to show on the field that he has a place in the NFL.  And my opinion isn't fixed in 2016.... it is based on his 2017 pre-season (50% passer despite playing against the backups in every game) and his 2017 regular season performances (plenty said already).  I don't understand where the optimism for this guy comes from.... because it isn't based on anything he has put on tape at either the college or the NFL level.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. He would have to produce at a level of a serviceable NFL quarterback. Not necessarily look like an established starter... just produce at a level that makes me think "he could make a reliable backup".  That has to happen on the field in real games with real live bullets. He could go some way by doing it in real games in pre-season, but ultimately to change my mind that he has no place in the NFL he has to show on the field that he has a place in the NFL.  And my opinion isn't fixed in 2016.... it is based on his 2017 pre-season (50% passer despite playing against the backups in every game) and his 2017 regular season performances (plenty said already).  I don't understand where the optimism for this guy comes from.... because it isn't based on anything he has put on tape at either the college or the NFL level.

The optimism is coming from media reports from the Minicamp thread...I find it hard to imagine you wouldnt be aware of these comments but feel free to refer  to the thread on the subject... 

With all respect, if McD and Daboll thinks he has won the job in preseason than I will go with their opinion...Obviously we are still a long way from that... would be a nice story regardless of how unlikely...

25 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The optimism is coming from media reports from the Minicamp thread...I find it hard to imagine you wouldnt be aware of these comments but feel free to refer  to the thread on the subject... 

With all respect, if McD and Daboll thinks he has won the job in preseason than I will go with their opinion...Obviously we are still a long way from that... would be a nice story regardless of how unlikely...

Well this thread was started before OTAs.... but regardless.... Dez Lewis ripped up OTAs and mini-camp 3 years ago. The serious stuff doesn't even start until camp.  This phase is all install.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well this thread was started before OTAs.... but regardless.... Dez Lewis ripped up OTAs and mini-camp 3 years ago. The serious stuff doesn't even start until camp.  This phase is all install.  

Cool.. just trying to put some context around “where the optimism is coming from”.., 

Joe Buscaglia

Nathan Peterman shines again

- "Don't look now, but Nathan Peterman is putting together a pretty solid spring. For the second straight practice that the media was allowed to see, Peterman was slinging the ball around incredibly well and both his accuracy and knowledge of the playbook has been evident.  Several times on Tuesday, he would help instruct the receivers where they should be, or what they should have done on a given play. That part of his approach has to be music to the Bills ears at this point, with nothing set in stone at the quarterback position. It's only the offseason workouts, and you should take everything with a grain of salt, but Peterman has been impressive -- as shocking as that may be for some fans to read. In the four practices we've seen, Peterman has been more impressive than veteran quarterback A.J. McCarron".

That's huge for any offensive coordinator.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Not all of us.  Lots of folks around here thought Tyrod was great.

In fact, some folks here are still waiting for EJ to turn the corner.  

LMFAO.

I did say 90%.  

There are still some that will say that EJ minus his INT's scored almost as many points with the Bills as TT.  

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But Gunner watched a lot of tape on him in his college career and gives serious, reasoned critiques based on actual performance, and not just he's no good because I think he's no good. 

Kudos' to the guys who love to watch college football, but it was college football and not NFL football.  

a lot of QB's look good in OTA's when there is no pass rush.  We won't get any hint until preseason practice games on how they handle that aspect of the game. 

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Dennison made no attempt to adjust offense to work with Tyrod which is why Tyrod looked as bad as he did.  He was ok in previous years and Lynn was able to get a lot more out of him.

Well, with that said, Nate Peterman was NOT calling his own plays in the Chargers game!

Dennison was inflexible and was unable to make adjustments before or during a game.

Lets pray that DaBoll is not more of the same. 

• Like (+1) 2