Another former disgruntled *Pat story but I like it :)

A reduced role didn't sit well with Cassius Marsh - not even when the New England Patriots were winning by a considerable margin.

Marsh told the San Francisco Chronicle he confronted Bill Belichick after the Oakland Raiders' game when the Patriots won, 33-8, and Marsh only got three snaps. That wasn't the only drama that stemmed from the game.

Here's what Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported:

"I'm told he pitched a fit over playing time at halftime of the Patriots-Raiders game in Mexico City (he was in on two snaps that week), which contributed to his release days later."

The Athletic's Jeff Howe confirmed Breer's report, and added additional details.  

Hopefully, the bout with Gatorade jug cooled off Marsh.

Although, he still seems to be steaming about his time with the Patriots. He expressed a number of qualms with Bill Belichick's methodology.

"I confronted (coach Bill Belichick) about all the things that were going on," Marsh told the San Francisco Chronicle's Eric Branch. "I won't get into detail, but it was B.S. things they were doing. I just wasn't a fan. And so I, basically, without asking to get cut, I kind of asked to get cut. … I had confidence that I would have an opportunity elsewhere and I would take advantage of it."

Marsh was not the player the Patriots had hoped he'd be. They traded a fifth and seventh round pick to the Seattle Seahawks for him, likely with hopes he'd be at least a role player on special teams and defense. He ended up a jack-of-all-trades but master of none. He struggled to maintain edge discipline as a pass rusher and run defender, and never developed into a coverage linebacker.

"They asked me to do a bunch of stuff that I had never done: covering running backs and receivers and basically almost never rushing the passer, which is what I did in playing defensive line," Marsh told the Chronicle. "They don't have fun there. There's nothing fun about it. There's nothing happy about it. I didn't enjoy any of my time there, you know what I'm saying? It made me for the first time in my life think about not playing football, because I hated it that much."

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sounds like he didn’t #trusttheprocess. Guys like him are replaceable so BB gave him the axe.

Also sounds like BB traded picks for a guy then asked him to do stuff he wasn't good at. Genius move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I read about this last week. I wonder if there's still some animosity from certain players stemming from Belichick's decision to sit Malcolm Butler for the Super Bowl. 

In past years, Brady has always went to every voluntary OTA and always preached about how important it is for him and other players to be there. Then this year he, as well as Gronk, were nowhere near the OTAs this season. And we know Belechick stepped on Brady's toes by telling his personal trainer to take a hike. 

Are some dents starting to appear in the Iron Hoodie? Haha.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Also sounds like BB traded picks for a guy then asked him to do stuff he wasn't good at. Genius move.

I think the same thing is coming for Corradelle Patterson. I’ll be surprised if he makes it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sounds like he didn’t #trusttheprocess. Guys like him are replaceable so BB gave him the axe.

Yep, seems like the younger generation of players don’t understand this concept. BB has always been BB, but we haven’t heard many complaints until recently. They are compensated nicely for their time in New England, and are hired more or less as temp workers. This is the way pro sports work as a whole. Only the superstars stick around for prolonged periods of time. It’s just more blatantly obvious in NE. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have a good friend that played for Saban in college and Belichick in the NFL. He thinks highly of both of them. He spent some time with Rob Ryan as his DC in Cleveland. He didn’t think much of him (at all). 

I have some Urban Meyer stories. He scares the **** out of everyone and is an over intense !@#$. But, he wins. Even the assistants feel this way, but they know the opportunities the program affords them. And the players love their position coaches, who they spend the most time with anyway. And they love to win, have their bodies transformed by Mickey Marrotti,  be on national tv all the time, and get drafted by the NFL. It’s not a ton of fun, but certain kids are willing to sign up for it. Some make it, some don’t. If he thinks a kid can’t mentally or physically  handle it, he tells him to transfer because their is another 4 or 5 star waiting on that scholly who can.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

...and made an example of him for the others to see, as well. 

My reation to all this is that Belichick probably operates with an all business philosophy in dealing with his players.  Obviously, it works for the Patriots, and some players thrive in that atmosphere.  Others aren't going to.  Rex Ryan is the anti-Bill Bellichick, and that obviously didn't work in Buffalo.  Sean McDermott's approach is probably closer to Belichick's with a critical difference - he has created an atmosphere of mutual caring and commitment.  The coaches seem to care about the players.  The players seem to care about the other players and the coaches.  Overall, I like that, and think it is healthy, but there is one drawback - when it becomes obvious that a change in personnel becomes necessary, it always hurts a little more to be dumped by somebody you thought cared about you.  With Belichick, you accept when you sign with New England that the moment you lose your value as a team contributor you're going to be cut or traded.

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......do you think that is the general stance that McBeane & McD take as well?........

I think they want “their kind of guys”, but I don’t think there’s any spite to it. THAT is the difference in my mind. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think they want “their kind of guys”, but I don’t think there’s any spite to it. THAT is the difference in my mind. 

...wholeheartedly agree bud.....they don't want any distractions to their "sense of purpose" or "their way"....ditto for Belichick......."our way or adios"......and it could be a 1st rounder or UDFA.....I like it.......

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s like when coaches are accused of playing “favorites” which I think is hilarious when being played out as a negative agenda. 

Yes, all coaches have “favorites.” They favor competitors. Players who pay attention. Work hard. Take instruction. Lead. Have heart. But, these “favorites” are often held to a higher standard as well by the coaches. 

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love the fact that McD has a process AND the players like him and the Process.

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

If you didn't watch this embedded tweet, do it now! 

That is awesome !!!

Who is the third guy? (Not Brady and Gronk)

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I love the fact that McD has a process AND the players like him and the Process.

That is awesome !!!

Who is the third guy? (Not Brady and Gronk)

Brady’s personal trainer I think.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TigerJ said:

My reation to all this is that Belichick probably operates with an all business philosophy in dealing with his players.  Obviously, it works for the Patriots, and some players thrive in that atmosphere.  Others aren't going to.  Rex Ryan is the anti-Bill Bellichick, and that obviously didn't work in Buffalo.  Sean McDermott's approach is probably closer to Belichick's with a critical difference - he has created an atmosphere of mutual caring and commitment.  The coaches seem to care about the players.  The players seem to care about the other players and the coaches.  Overall, I like that, and think it is healthy, but there is one drawback - when it becomes obvious that a change in personnel becomes necessary, it always hurts a little more to be dumped by somebody you thought cared about you.  With Belichick, you accept when you sign with New England that the moment you lose your value as a team contributor you're going to be cut or traded.

Getting cut is part of the process for some.

19 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Hasn't McD essentially gutted the roster of  the mutually cared for players he inherited---the moment they lost their value....?

Sounds like he is "committed" to getting his own guys in there.  Nothing wrong there, but there's no real difference.

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have some Urban Meyer stories. He scares the **** out of everyone and is an over intense !@#$. But, he wins. Even the assistants feel this way, but they know the opportunities the program affords them. And the players love their position coaches, who they spend the most time with anyway. And they love to win, have their bodies transformed by Mickey Marrotti,  be on national tv all the time, and get drafted by the NFL. It’s not a ton of fun, but certain kids are willing to sign up for it. Some make it, some don’t. If he thinks a kid can’t mentally or physically  handle it, he tells him to transfer because their is another 4 or 5 star waiting on that scholly who can.

Urban Meyer is an elitist Douchebag.   We went to a concert at the house of blues a few years ago, the Tebow years at UF and we had a great spot picked out, we were asked to move so him and his Chadtuckets could come stand there instead drinking Mich Ultras and standing directly in our way.    Eff him and everything about him. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hasn't McD essentially gutted the roster of  the mutually cared for players he inherited---the moment they lost their value....?

Sounds like he is "committed" to getting his own guys in there.  Nothing wrong there, but there's no real difference.

You make a good point, as does switz.  Cutting players is necessary in the NFL, and "McBeane" certainly has done that.  It's impossible to make an objective comparison between the way Belichick does it and the way it happens for the Bills.  I wonder what Belichick would have done with Kyle Williams for instance.  Kyle is still a good player, but his salary cap figure might be higher than his production in the coming season.  One can argue that Belichick would have cut him and signed a cheaper replacement.  Beane did that with Dareus and Lotulelei, but the problem with Dareus seemed to be attitude and commitment, not age.  We'll never know for sure, but it seems like Beane made a choice to keep Kyle for one more season even though it might not have been the most cost effective decision.  One at least gets the impression that it's harder for McDermott and Beane to cut a player who has the right attitude but might not be as productive as hoped than it is for Belichick.  That's not to say McDermott and Beane don't do it.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Urban Meyer is an elitist Douchebag.   We went to a concert at the house of blues a few years ago, the Tebow years at UF and we had a great spot picked out, we were asked to move so him and his Chadtuckets could come stand there instead drinking Mich Ultras and standing directly in our way.    Eff him and everything about him. 

That doesn’t surprise me at all. I have many stories but one is that he lives at Muirfield Village golf course and during the pga Memorial Tournament that is held there, you are not allowed to talk on a cell phone. You will get kicked out. It’s been a rule forever. Oh, except for him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/4/2018 at 5:44 PM, TigerJ said:

Sean McDermott's approach is probably closer to Belichick's with a critical difference - he has created an atmosphere of mutual caring and commitment.  The coaches seem to care about the players.  The players seem to care about the other players and the coaches.  Overall, I like that, and think it is healthy, but there is one drawback - when it becomes obvious that a change in personnel becomes necessary, it always hurts a little more to be dumped by somebody you thought cared about you.  With Belichick, you accept when you sign with New England that the moment you lose your value as a team contributor you're going to be cut or traded.

Football is obviously different than basketball but Steve Kerr runs the Warriors like this.  He is the coach but also one voice among a sea of others.  The players and assistant coaches are allowed to speak and offer up their ideas which are listened to.  I know he caught grief for doing it but at one point had players running the huddle during timeouts.  I thought it was unique but a great way to work with the younger generation.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:47 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Well Beane and he got rid of Sammy and Darby when they still had value once it was determined that they weren't going to contribute to the team concept.  I won't try to compare my select team coaching to professional athletes but I always preferred players that I knew would give it their all to players that were better but I might not get their best unless they feel like it (Dareus).  Football by nature churns the bottom of the roster each year.  That doesn't mean that players, during their tenure, can't feel or be valued.  

I think Marsh hit on the reason the Pats* are so successful while trying to bash them.  "It wasn't fun there"  

I think BB thinks that football is work.  Hard work and putting in that work every day is what separates the Pats*. To BB this is a job and hard work.  That's how he runs his team and it is hard to argue his results.  To Rex Ryan it is a game and his results are not unexpected.  These guys talk about football being there job and the Pats* embrace that ideology.  Not every team does.  Someone like Marsh, a career backup, didn't shut up and do his job so it isn't surprising that he was cut.