SB Nation: Are the Bills rebuilding, or trying to win now? No one seems to know, not even the Bills

4 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I had to call that guy out for that. That was an awful piece of conjecture and way off.

There is a direct quote from Beane in regards to where he views the team currently, yet there is still uncertainties? 

Any GM would say this:

“[Bills GM Brandon] Beane said that in his mind, this is still a team that is rebuilding,” NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala said days prior to the 2018 NFL Draft. “The way he phrased it was, ‘We have not yet arrived.’”

What is he supposed to say?  No, I think our team is perfect and we should go undefeated this year."

I agree, this is pretty weak premise for article.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills can’t seem to decide if they’re rebuilding or trying to win right away

Trades to land Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds struck a puzzling mix of rebuilding and ‘win now’ strategies.https://www.sbnation.com/2018/5/7/17319572/buffalo-bills-rebuilding-2018-nfl-draft

....McBeane is OBD's Phil Ivey....check.........

5 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

I feel the exact opposite of this article. For the first time in a long time I feel like there is a plan in place that the entire organization has embraced.

Right.  

Article demonstrates broad ignorance of what the Bills are doing and of McD's philosophy.   McD intends to make the playoffs in 2018, and his plan is to do it with an improved offense and a much better defense.   

46 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Any GM would say this:

“[Bills GM Brandon] Beane said that in his mind, this is still a team that is rebuilding,” NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala said days prior to the 2018 NFL Draft. “The way he phrased it was, ‘We have not yet arrived.’”

What is he supposed to say?  No, I think our team is perfect and we should go undefeated this year."

I agree, this is pretty weak premise for article.  

Theres a difference betwewn building and rebuilding.  Rebuilding involves tearing down.  Bills are essentially done with that.  They're still building.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

I feel the exact opposite of this article. For the first time in a long time I feel like there is a plan in place that the entire organization has embraced.

I agree with you.

I think Beane and McDermott didn't necessarily expect the team to perform as well as it did.  When they started playing better than predicted, what I like is that Beane didn't waste any time wailing about how they failed to tank, he rolled up his shirtsleeves and got to work.  He looked at the roster, and tried to figure out which players could productively be turned into draft capital. 

Then he built up the draft capital, and substituted extra picks/trades for the draft position we would otherwise have had.

I think the one who's confused is the author of the article, but maybe that's just me

47 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

They are not mutually exclusive.

IK, right?  Why do people try to frame everything as either/or?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills can’t seem to decide if they’re rebuilding or trying to win right away

Trades to land Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds struck a puzzling mix of rebuilding and ‘win now’ strategies.https://www.sbnation.com/2018/5/7/17319572/buffalo-bills-rebuilding-2018-nfl-draft

"Both to win now, and to build for the future". 

McBeane circa 2017

Its not an either or situation. It is absolutely part of Beane's job to build for the future and it is absolutely part of his job to win games now. If he mortgaged the entire future of the franchise he would be justly pilloried for it as he would if he totally ignored trying to win the next game in order to win games in the future. There is a lot of room between tanking and paying for the present by robbing the future. I hate it when journalists ask coaches that question, its a trap that gives them a story to write no matter what answer they give. 

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

A team that is only trying to win now will have to tear down and rebuild five years from now, unless they have a franchise QB.

A team that is only building for the future will have no success in short term, unless they have a franchise QB.

With any business you have to strike a balance between start up success and long term viability, and that's what "the process" is about.   The process in this case was about trading up to #7 to get a quarterback a lot of people thought would go #1 to the Browns, bottom line.   Beane and McDermott understood they could pay a risk adverse QB 16 million a year,  build a strong defense and win 8-9 games a year and hope for the playoffs, but Tyrod wasnt going to win you a championship.  

This isn't about McCaron, Peterman or even Tremaine Edmunds.  This is 100% about Josh Allen.  

I agree...Having a Franchise QB and a sane HC keeps the team in the playoff hunt every year !!!!

Bill and Tom

Ben and Tomlin

Brees and  Peyton 

Wilson and Pete

Those are the constants for successful franchise.

How many times has Beane literally come right out and said it...they are trying to win now and win later.  Those are his exact words.  Every day they are putting in the work to make this team a legitimate contender.  That transformation isn't going to happen overnight and it is going to take some time to do it properly.  Why so many still can't seem to grasp what both the short term and long term plans are yet is mind boggling to me.  

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Dumb article.  Bills are clearly rebuilding and acquiring player's that they love and think are building blocks.

And who can help them immediately....Tremaine Edmunds pick is exactly that.

Yes the article is dumb but it raises an interesting question: 

How many drafts does a new regime get before its roster is filled with players of their choosing? Once a team is at that point we are in No Excuses territory. 

This was definitely a 2 tier draft: if Edmunds and Allen succeed it's a winner. The other picks feel like long shots although I expect Teller to make the roster and start before the end of the 2018 season.