SB Nation: Are the Bills rebuilding, or trying to win now? No one seems to know, not even the Bills

Everyone in the media (and a heluva lot of fans) said the exact same thing last year, when they incorrectly presumed the Bills were "tanking."  Just a stupid, stupid article and take.

That article sucks. An internet hack making about 40k a year for a B league  site expressing their beliefs that the Bills don't know what they're doing is a joke. They cleaned up the trash at OBD, made the playoffs, drafted their franchise QB and stud MLB, and cleared the cap for 2019. WTF else could they do in 1 year? Ffs.

31 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

That article sucks. An internet hack making about 40k a year for a B league  site expressing their beliefs that the Bills don't know what they're doing is a joke. They cleaned up the trash at OBD, made the playoffs, drafted their franchise QB and stud MLB, and cleared the cap for 2019. WTF else could they do in 1 year? Ffs.

Are you saying the hack has a “little job” :ph34r:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

All Tyrods fault.?

Meanwhile we have the worst group of WR's in the league, the new regime seems to value  old RBs like no one else in the league, and a bad offensive line with a career back up at QB starting for us. 

We are in a slight rebuild. Offensively, I expect them to be pretty bad this year. I think the defense can be solid, but this year is really about seeing the progress of the defense and seeing what young players can step up on offense and be part of the team long term.... although we don't have much to offer there. 

Next offseason should be a HEAVY emphasis on offense if they perform how I expect them to this year.

I  wasn't suggesting that it was all Tyrod's fault, but it was clear that it was time to move on. For the record, I was in favor of giving him all of last year to show what he's got. I think we saw it.

Beane's own answer from a year ago was "Yes," that is, both.  They want to win now and in the future.   They are making personnel decisions that they believe will make them somewhat better in the short term, and decisions that will make them much better long term.  It is kind of like walking on a tight rope, and I think looking at it from the outside is a bit confusing, but I think the confusion on the outside looking in is because the Bills are trying to get better long term without sacrificing whatever short term success they can achieve.  If Beane can actually do it, he come out looking like a genius, but there is an inherent risk that by trying to do both, he will fail at both.