Is Kim qualified?

It is amazing how many people know so much on this message board without knowing her skills and the job requirements. 

They assume much and create a view based on their bias and perception.  She may or may not do a good job but I am willing to see the results vs pre-judging.

25 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

They bought a team, together, with the $$ from the sale of the company which THEY owned.

I think you were wronged by a woman, or angry your boss is a woman.

A lot of men hate women, the world over.  

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

First of all, the last person in the position wasn't qualified. He was a failed GM that was allowed to hang around in the hallway because our aging owner didn't have the vigor for the full front office rebuild that was so needed at the time.

Is Kim one of the top 20 people qualified for the position? No. Will she flourish in the position? My guess is she will.

The amount of success she has at this job will be inversely proportional to the amount of meddling she does in football operations. If she sticks to facilities improvements, amenities, ticket sales, fan interaction, training camp, etc, etc, and keeps at distance from football ops (as much as a partial owner can) then this will be a home run. 

Would you rather have some Ralph Wilson retread that's been in that front office for the past 17 years get this job?

This has been a great week for both Buffalo teams.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John in Jax said:

Again, IF they forced out RB because of inter-office "romance", the irony & hypocrisy would be just too good to ignore.

Now, if RB was a "sexual harasser", then that's a totally different story.

Do we now know (not rumors) the "real story" as to why RB was forced out?

I think this was explained pretty clearly in the locked thread

1) if you're the CEO,  it doesn't matter if you're in a consensual "romance" with a subordinate, you're the face of the business and you're compromising your integrity.  The intrinsic power imbalance clouds consent and creates a huge liability risk for the company.  JoeF gave a really good "been there made that mistake" honest explanation of this.

2) if you now see something you once did (and stopped) as causing problems, it may be ironic when you tag someone else for it, but it's not hypocrisy unless you're still doing it.

The analogy I used was ....let's say as a dumb teen you got drunk, put a tree in your hood, and received a DWI.  You then stopped drinking and driving.

Would you call it hypocrisy if you take the keys away from your kid if he drives home drunk after prom, because years ago you did it? 

I would call it you learn over time and implement what you learn.  People do have a right to change over time, including their standards and values.

It was pointed out to me off-line that there is one critical difference between the Pegula's romance and Brandon's rumored thing:

-Pegula was the owner.  If he's creating a liability risk with his actions, he owns the risk, it's his assets he's risking (because, owner)

-Brandon was an employee.  He created a liability risk, but it's NOT his assets he's risking, it's PSE (the Pegulas)

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

It's kind of an empty honor. It's not like she worked her way up and got the job. Her husband bought her the team and she appointed herself. A bit of a pyrrhic victory for feminism.

I don't get what "pyrrhic" "victory" or "feminism" have to do with the situation here.

Now if folks asked "what are the qualifications and background of every president of a major league sports team?" "what is the job description and what skills does it require?" and compared them to Kim Pegula's background and skill set before deciding if she is or isn't qualified, that might represent a small victory for feminism, but I don't see that here.

Georgia Frontiere heard much the same stuff back in 1979, plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I really don't much about her business skills and am not trying to say she can't do it but is Kim qualified to be president?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

What are the qualifications and background of other major sport team presidents?

What is a description of the sport team president job?

Meh, what is she really going to be doing?  The football ops people run the football part of things; that's the most important part.  Kim will make decisions such as giving out Bills logo whoopee cushions for opening day, etc.  My guess is there is little Russ did that Kim couldn't do.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What are the qualifications and background of other major sport team presidents?

Asked thag a bunch already and have yet to get an answer 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't get what "pyrrhic" "victory" or "feminism" have to do with the situation here.

Now if folks asked "what are the qualifications and background of every president of a major league sports team?" "what is the job description and what skills does it require?" and compared them to Kim Pegula's background and skill set before deciding if she is or isn't qualified, that might represent a small victory for feminism, but I don't see that here.

Georgia Frontiere heard much the same stuff back in 1979, plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

They have nothing to do with it. That's the point. 

20 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I didn't know so many people wanted Kim Pegula to replace Russ Brandon? 

Probably mostly people just defending their favorite team, but still interesting. 

No, we are saying that she is just as qualified to have the job as he was.

4 hours ago, Lfod said:

Truthfully, it's none of my business. I'm guessing she wouldn't have to work another day in her life if she didn't want to. So the fact she is taking on the responsibility because she has a desire to be involved, a willingness to learn the position. I respect it. 

I also believe in equality even if I don't think many people will achieve true potential, I do believe everybody has the potential to achieve anything. 

Now let me go to your wife and tell her that she belongs in a kitchen and she's not qualified to do anything and tell me how you feel after. I think this is very disrespectful topic but that is just how I feel. 

Yea I think she can be capable and qualified. Yea I think she is involved because it interest her. Yea I think having the name Pegula attached to her gives her the power to do so. No I don't think having the name Pegula handicaps her capability to be successful in this adventure. Haters to hate. 

its not disrespectful, it a matter of facts; does she or does she not have the qualifications to this job. More importantly is she the best person to do the job?

The kitchen argument is tired and lame and has nothing to do with this subject.

A Better subject would be is this nepotism?

2 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

What is this Kim is co owner stuff?

From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Pegula

" Kim S. Pegula (maiden name Kerr, born June 7, 1969)[1] is an American businesswoman and, along with her husband, Terry Pegula, one of the principal owners of the Buffalo Bills in the National Football League. ...... Along with Shahid Khan, Pegula is one of only two people of non-European descent to own a franchise in the NFL. "

Not that Wikipedia is 100% definitive, but this was obviously edited recently to reflect Kim Pegula's new role and many public figures edit/maintain or have a personal assistant edit/maintain their online profiles.  So if Kim Pegula is NOT an owner of the Bills, it's surprising it wouldn't be edited to reflect that.

That said, the Buffalo Bills Front Office lists Terry Pegula as Owner/CEO and Kim Pegula as President.

Maybe only their accountants and their prenup know for sure

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

...A Better subject would be is this nepotism?

If she had made her daughter the President it probably would have been. Her being the owner of the Bills, however, it's more like a demotion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

What is a president? Once someone can explain that then I might be able to explain how Russ Brandon’s former BOSS can also do Russ Brandon’s former job. 

She will be the voice of the organization when the county and city sit down with her and discuss how much of the taxpayers (property) dollars "she/they "want for the new stadium.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

More qualified than we are to judge.

Are we qualified to judge players or coaches or anybody else for that matter but yet we do because we want to be assured the franchise is going in the right direction. Since the McDermott hiring things have been going well and want them to continue that way, before that not so much.

What if Kim wants to get involved in drafting players and bringing in free agents?

2 hours ago, Manther said:

Russ Brandon sold out a Team in a League that sells out in a City that always sells out and was thought of being impressive by some.  Not I.  

Kim will do better as she will do things for the right reason for the City, fans and Team!  She will not have alterier motives sacrificing one for the other and her personal best interests firsts.

A good leader listens to their team and talents that surround them.  Kim does that!!

We are in a better position today than two days ago!

Go Bills!

I hope your right.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What if Kim wants to get involved in drafting players and bringing in free agents?

I'd hope that is where Beane and McD put their collective foot down.  

We'll see how she does but yeah I'd rather she and and her husband nominate someone else, for sure. And I do find it ironic that Terry hired her and then it led to them becoming husband & wife...

Anyway, as usual, let's not shoot down a decision before we let it have some time to unfold. But it's normal to be worried when owners meddle too much in day-to-day operations. It's rarely their strengths

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

who knows but I don't care about other teams.

look I'm not against Kim but is she the best person for the job? I'm not saying she isn't just that What makes her qualified , to which no one has answered except that she owns the team which is not good enough.

remember when Terry 's daughters wanted that hockey player (forgot his name) and he ended up sucking, I don't want a repeat of things like that.

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

We'll see how she does but yeah I'd rather she and and her husband nominate someone else, for sure. And I do find it ironic that Terry hired her and then it led to them becoming husband & wife...

Anyway, as usual, let's not shoot down a decision before we let it have some time to unfold. But it's normal to be worried when owners meddle too much in day-to-day operations. It's rarely their strengths

I agree to be that person! 

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

she is the owner ??

Yes, part owner.  But good owners don't meddle in football ops.  They leave that up to the football people.

• Like (+1) 1

If I wanted a meddling owner/president and borderline Tsar regime, I would have been a Jerry Jones Cowboy fan. We go from one extreme to another, from an owner who was cheap and didn't care about the product, to overly involved owners who probably aren't nearly qualified to direct football or hockey decisions. Why can't we just have normal owners who hire the best of the best to make football decisions. 

Edited by 100DollarBills

11 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

(...)

I’ve had a number of employees who told me I didn’t know what I was doing and I showed them the door.  I’ve had others who offered great insight and guidance and they have been promoted and have done very well.  As a result, I can tell you that one of the most important ingredients when you are an owner is trust. 

Terry obviously trusts Kim. If she wasn’t capable, she would not have achieved the status that she is currently at. I have peers with spouses in their biz (female owners and male owners).  I have very rarely seen a spouse who IS successful hand over some control to their significant other if they are not capable

I agree with those that say Kim initially achieved her status because she married Terry.  However, she may have well achieved a similar status without him -we will never know.  In my years of starting and growing companies, experience and pedigree is waaaay overrated.  I’ve had employees with Ivy League degrees that were terrible and interns from no name schools with little experience turn into superstars very quickly. Don’t tell me the dude with 20 years experience is always better, that’s simply not true. After she married Terry, I’d surmise the rest she has achieved is because she is capable.

Kim is a people person and from my vantage point, is making some great moves. Give her a chance and stop bashing her. If ultimately she fails, we can call for her to be replaced. I’d just ask that you have some perspective. It takes an awful lot to achieve what Terry and Kim have. Most people aren’t willing to take the risk. Those that do get to call the shots.  

Amen!  Some of my best reports and teammates had no degrees, or degrees from Obscurity College, and not necessarily "relevant" degrees, but they were focused and energized and opened themselves to learning as much as they could and they rapidly improved over people who had been there for years and were more or less coasting on past accomplishments...still working hard but no longer as engaged and focused.

Unspoken in this whole thread is....how many people get their first opportunity because of who they know, not what they know?  Sons or cousins or connections of people in power?  Seems to me there are quite a lot of them.  What were their qualifications?  Sometimes they are unfit for the position.  Sometimes they aren't.

We have folks here virtuously proclaiming "this would never be tolerated in any other team in the AFC East" well......

New England Patriots*** Owner: Robert Kraft  President: Jonathan Kraft

New York Jets Owner: Woody Johnson    Chairman/CEO:Christopher Johnson

(and so on around the league)

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

But it's those meddling kids :lol: (Scooby doo reference :D )

:thumbsup:  Yeah, hopefully the Pegulas realize their limitations.  From what I can gather, they are casual fans who are learning on the job.  I would suspect that being present in the draft room, and various other football situations made them realize that they don't know what they don't know.  If so, this could be a good thing.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Can anyone tell me what in particular Kim Pegula has the capability to screw up as president? What is the worst case scenario for the Bills that people are up in arms about?

As long as she stays away from football decisions than I don't care what she does. It is why I had issues with Brandon. Just let the GM and coach do their thing, and evaluated accordingly. If Kim has final say on who we draft, then she is already unqualified. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

its not disrespectful, it a matter of facts; does she or does she not have the qualifications to this job. More importantly is she the best person to do the job?

The kitchen argument is tired and lame and has nothing to do with this subject.

A Better subject would be is this nepotism?

Actually my comment about the disrespect wasn't really directed at you. Asking the question innocently out of genuine curiosity is ok.

In a way it's calling out the credibility of a person. That in a way could be disrespectful. What if behind the scenes she really was becoming an influencing figure. What if she was taking over duties Russ was slacking on and learning the position. 

What if they did plan ahead before they canned Russ Brandon and already had her installed in many ways before they fired him.

The only person I think really should ask if some one is qualified for the job is the person hiring them. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I really don't much about her business skills and am not trying to say she can't do it but is Kim qualified to be president?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

She is already pretty much acting like the President...with the way they've envigorated downtown and basically everything they have done has turned to gold I'd have to say yeah they know how to run a business.

Just now, Lfod said:

Actually my comment about the disrespect wasn't really directed at you. Asking the question innocently out of genuine curiosity is ok.

In a way it's calling out the credibility of a person. That in a way could be disrespectful. What if behind the scenes she really was becoming an influencing figure. What if she was taking over duties Russ was slacking on and learning the position. 

What if they did plan ahead before they canned Russ Brandon and already had her installed in many ways before they fired him. The only person I think really should ask if some one is qualified for the job is the person hiring them. 

There is obvious bias in Terry 's assessment, I hope your right and she does a good job.

3 minutes ago, Mij yllek said:

Two words...Georgia Frontiere...worked out so well for the Rams.

Not Photoshopped:

44OPJY3NXVG6PHRU7HXUVVC6GE.jpg

8 playoff appearances, including a Superbowl and 2 conference championship games in the first decade she owned the team

3 Superbowl appearances during her ownership, including a Superbowl win, "Greatest Show on Turf"

What have most of the other owners achieved that worked out so much better?