Is Kim qualified?

I don't think Brandon was a good president, far from it. But even I think he has more qualifications than Kim. Kim is just a fan who happens to be the owner of the team. Just because you are the owner doesn't mean you are qualified to handle football decisions, you leave that up to people who have dedicated their lives to the sport. 

Edited by 100DollarBills

Just now, Limeaid said:

Proof that there could be a worse choice; they could also make Barbarian in charge of trades.

I'm in !!!

After the Skelton failure I redeemed myself by trading up for Wentz and we win our first super bowl, yeah good times :beer:

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not Photoshopped:

44OPJY3NXVG6PHRU7HXUVVC6GE.jpg

8 playoff appearances, including a Superbowl and 2 conference championship games in the first decade she owned the team

3 Superbowl appearances during her ownership, including a Superbowl win, "Greatest Show on Turf"

What have most of the other owners achieved that worked out so much better?

This isn't about equality, let's not go off topic.

Personally I think the pegulas had more to do with the quarterback we drafted then I would like.

Still hopeful/excited for the prospects of our new draft class, but personally I would prefer the pegulas to stay out of it.

They remind me of Jerry Jones -- a little too "involved". I hope it works out though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Personally I think the pegulas had more to do with the quarterback we drafted then I would like.

Still hopeful/excited for the prospects of our new draft class, but personally I would prefer the pegulas to stay out of it.

They remind me of Jerry Jones -- a little too "involved". I hope it works out though.

Any facts to support?

1 minute ago, Dalton said:

Any facts to support?

It's been commented by several that they flew around the country to various pro days and private workouts.

I think it was reported they sat in on Senior Bowl interviews?

Josh Allen in his initial interview commented about meeting the Pegulas and having a chance to get to know Terry at his workout

Beane commented that they had "helpful input" from the Pegulas on the QBs or words to that effect - he quickly offered that they weren't telling them who to draft, but gave opinions on character

That's all I remember at the moment

Bean was asked directly how involved they were on WGR. He dodged a bit but acknowledged of course they were involved on the future face of the franchise.

He downplayed how much and accepted ultimate responsibility for the pick. 

There is also evidence since they traveled personally with the coaches to meet them.

And of course the congratulatory phone call from Kim to Josh where she said she made up her mind after their first visit.

It's all anecdotal, but it does support the case. None the less, just a little too involved for my tastes leave the football and the draft to the football guys is how I would prefer it be

FWIW maybe those football guys were leaning towards Allen anyways whose to say but again, I prefer some separation there so it's not even a question.

Edited by BillsFan692

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This isn't about equality, let's not go off topic.

???

I'm responding to a post:

Seems very topical to point out that Georgia Frontiere's ownership worked out to a Superbowl victory, 2 other Superbowl appearances, several conference championship games, and playoffs 8x in her first decade of ownership.  In otherwords, not so badly especially relative to other owners.

I'm not sure where "equality" comes into it.  The fact is Frontiere heard a lot of crap talk when she inherited the Rams, some of which sounded a lot like the stuff in this thread (what does she know, she's unqualified, she slept her way into it, etc etc).  To the point where she famously quipped during her first press conference "There are some who feel there are two different kinds of people — human beings and women."[4]

And she still gets sort of knee-jerk disrespect like sarcastic "worked out so well for the Rams", yet under her ownership the record shows the Rams achieved as well or better than many other teams

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's been commented by several that they flew around the country to various pro days and private workouts.

I think it was reported they sat in on Senior Bowl interviews?

Josh Allen in his initial interview commented about meeting the Pegulas and having a chance to get to know Terry at his workout

Beane commented that they had "helpful input" from the Pegulas on the QBs or words to that effect - he quickly offered that they weren't telling them who to draft, but gave opinions on character

That's all I remember at the moment

Exactly, it's Jerry Jones esque. Just because you are a rich fan doesn't mean you know jack about scouting. You let your football staff make football decisions and sit back and watch like the rest of us, and if you don't like the outcome, fire and rehire. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yep. Jerry Jones Esque that's exactly what I said.

But I am biased I wanted Rosen and I think Allen was drafted over him for reasons that have little to do with throwing the football.

Still, I'm buying an Allen jersey and rooting for success.

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

just words..

All words are just words. 

To maintain a civil forum, words that are judged as insults, baiting, politicized terms are considered as not positively contributing to discussion here.

Shouting at the mod in the forum or poking 'em with a sharp stick also tends to be viewed kind of negatively

I am HOPEFUL that people will listen and the thread can stay unlocked for more-or-less civil discussion of this hot-button current issue

But I'm gonna go to sleep with the thread-lock handy right under my pillow.

G'night!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The busier they are kept in business ops, less time for football decisions. Just wishful thinking.

I understand an owners temptation to meddle, I'd probably be lying if I said I wouldn't if I was in there shoes. Yet they've just appeared bad when they meddle or even have to make decisions only an owner can make.

I follow the Sabres by proxy, just because you'll get bombarded with them on WGR and by friends. Yet I never get the impression they meddle over there as much. Can any Sabres fans tell me is that's an accurate assessment or is it just Hockey doesn't undergo the scrutiny that NFL teams do, even in a good hockey market? I just don't hear about them being as involved day to day as much in hockey decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News said other ex-player hockey presidents were "laughing" at Kim Pegula's promotion. Well Russ was equally qualified to be a hockey president as Kim.

EDIT: Harrington deleted the tweet.

Lol the NHL is run like a roadhouse tavern show. Any of those idiots laughing at her is only a plus in my book. Those retards have been trying to break hockey out of being a regional niche sport for how long? F them

what have these anonymous chuckleheads done for the sport of hockey in this country? Kept failing franchises in florida and arizona for wayyyyy past their expiration date. Failed to secure lucrative tv deals. Yeah. I think those are the last MFers that should be laughing.

Edited by JoPar_v2

If she isn't qualified, then she certainly is bright enough to know that she will need a 'coach' or two to get up to speed.

Half the country has either an MBA or lawn care company. 

I'm sure she'll hire a few MBAs and get up to speed.

3 minutes ago, hemma said:

If she isn't qualified, then she certainly is bright enough to know that she will need a 'coach' or two to get up to speed.

Half the country has either an MBA or lawn care company. 

I'm sure she'll hire a few MBAs and get up to speed.

If she wasn't married to Mr. Pegula, do you think her resume would be enough to qualify her for president of a NFL team? Be honest. 

1 minute ago, 100DollarBills said:

If she wasn't married to Mr. Pegula, do you think her resume would be enough to qualify her for president of a NFL team? Be honest. 

If you look at the NFL, do you think the resume of a bunch of high NFL execs and presidents would qualify them if they weren't related to the owner?

Nepotism is a thing.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

She doesn't seem like someone who is being propped up and sleeping through meetings as I've heard of some others.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

Probably true but hopefully being around the team for few years now will help her avoid the mistakes of the past.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Probably true but hopefully being around the team for few years now will help her avoid the mistakes of the past.

I mean I'm not saying she couldn't be a good president some day. But there are people out there that have dedicated their lives to football and football operations, the Pegula's should hire football people. Honestly I can't stand controlling owners, they think they know football better than the professionals. It's akin to people who read internet medical advice and think they can diagnose like a doctor. 

Edited by 100DollarBills

2 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

I mean I'm not saying she couldn't be a good president some day. But there are people out there that have dedicated their lives to football and football operations, the Pegula's should hire football people. Honestly I can stand controlling owners, they think they know football better than the professionals. It's akin to people who read internet medical advice and think they can diagnose like a doctor. 

She is a business person 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd say 75% of hard working Americans could easily handle this job. It's NOT that hard to be an executive and they often make tons of mistakes and in the end get fired or quit just like Russ.

Being a garbage man is hard. Single mothers providing for children that is hard. Being an executive of a billion dollar sports complex? That's highly rewarding and honestly easier. They don't actually DO the work, they are just responsible for the results. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

I mean I'm not saying she couldn't be a good president some day. But there are people out there that have dedicated their lives to football and football operations, the Pegula's should hire football people. Honestly I can stand controlling owners, they think they know football better than the professionals. It's akin to people who read internet medical advice and think they can diagnose like a doctor. 

God. Then F off root for another team. These football “lifers” that you pine after, guys like bruce allen, bill polian, are frigging drunks who can’t read an excel sheet. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not Photoshopped:

44OPJY3NXVG6PHRU7HXUVVC6GE.jpg

8 playoff appearances, including a Superbowl and 2 conference championship games in the first decade she owned the team

3 Superbowl appearances during her ownership, including a Superbowl win, "Greatest Show on Turf"

What have most of the other owners achieved that worked out so much better?

Pesky things, facts.

34 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

I don't think Brandon was a good president, far from it. But even I think he has more qualifications than Kim. Kim is just a fan who happens to be the owner of the team. Just because you are the owner doesn't mean you are qualified to handle football decisions, you leave that up to people who have dedicated their lives to the sport. 

Are you aware that Brandon's claim to fame when he joined the Bills a several years before taking over as defacto boss of the team was cutting the Florida Marlins' payroll from one of the highest in MLB to one of the lowest ... and turning the Marlins from World Series winners into cellar dwellers in a single season, MLB's biggest first-to-worst  turn around ever?   That's a positive qualification for a sports team's president/ceo?  I suppose it is if the president's forte coincides with the owner's desire to maximize profits regardless of how the team performs on the field, which it did while Ralph Wilson was the owner, but new owners, new rules, new expectations.

In general, an organization's president is someone who provides a philosophy or vision that guides the organization.  He or she also manages competing interests by setting priorities, delegates authority, and is the public face of the organization.  Depending upon the organization, he or she may do much more or somewhat less, but are usually not particularly involved in the business's day-to-day operations.  Being a "people person", as Kim Pegula has been described as being, is a plus for any organization's president because they are expected to deal with a wide range of individuals, from other employees to government officials to the media, and any/all of these may include individuals who are difficult to deal with.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 100DollarBills said:

That's all fine and dandy, let's keep it that way. As soon as she has input on who to draft, she needs to step away. 

Agreed that's why I said I actually prefer her on that side of the operations... it's the football stuff they need to steer clear from and they haven't been.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Please don’t douse the misogynists with facts all at once. Idiots should be spoon fed until they learn to feed themselves.

I'd be saying the same thing if Terry named himself president. Rich fans aren't qualified like football professionals. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

The biggest issue with Kim isn't her lack of experience rather a lack of real accountability... what's Terry gonna Do, fire her?

They brought this on themselves. They will have to answer to the fans. If we aren't getting results, they will have hire a real football president. 

I really think this thread is veering off course.

She's not president of football's ops specifically, she's just been given a title. As far as the NFL goes, pardon my ignorance, but it seems like a joke job. That league prints money like the treasury. Hockey, I'm far more ignorant on and it seems to be a niche sport where management and marketing skills could have a direct impact on the bottom line.

But like I said, all we know is that it is a title. She won't be fired, but I don't think she'll fail either. If the Pegulas feel she's not handling part of her responsibilities well or needs help, then they'll just hire someone to do that and adjust what her role is as president. As a competent owner would.

This doesn't change anything in my opinion regarding football or hockey operations, and the level of their involvement in them. Be it too much or too little. She didn't need the president title to do that, she's the effing owner. Her and Terry will do that if they please regardless. 

• Like (+1) 2

What does it matter if Kim Pegula is "qualified" for the job of Bills president?   How much worse a job can she do in leading the team than her predecessors over the last two decades?  :angry:

• The last time the Bills won a playoff game was in 1995.
  • The last time the Bills won more than 9 games in the same season was 1999.
  • The Bills have had 6 GMs -- John Butler, Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy, Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley, and Brandon Beane -- plus a two year stretch without one -- since 2000.
  • The Bills have had 8 HCs (excluding temp HCs) -- Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan, and Sean McDermott -- since 2000.
  • The Bills have had only 3 winning seasons since 2000.
  • The Bills have made the playoffs only once since 2000, and that was only by literally lucking into them.
  • The Bills mistakes on player personnel have been infamous, including trading away a future All Pro LT and a future All Pro RB for almost nothing to whiffing on draft picks like Aaron Maybin and John McCargo.
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

I'd be saying the same thing if Terry named himself president. Rich fans aren't qualified like football professionals. 

That’s a fair opinion then. I just have less faith in most of those guys. No doubt there are some great “lifers” out there. Ozzie comes to mind. But i really can’t crown most of the guys that get regularly cited here.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

That’s a fair opinion then. I just have less faith in most of those guys. No doubt there are some great “lifers” out there. Ozzie comes to mind. But i really can’t crown most of the guys that get regularly cited here.

I agree with this. I said it in another thread, "football guys" or whatever you want to call them are nothing more than glorified gym teachers in my opinion for the most part.

Look at gettleman, listen to polian talk now and I think he could still get a job. Then you have fishers, dorseys, idziks, tannenbaums, and hurneys littered thought out the league. Top it off with some Fox's, and Grudens. I'm sure some franchise could be fooled into taking on Dungy or Cowher now. It's a joke at times.

Guys like Sashi Brown or Sam Hinkie never get a chance to complete their vision. They'd rather recycle the safe "football guy". I feel like I sound like Schopp and it's gross. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

What does it matter if Kim Pegula is "qualified" for the job of Bills president?   How much worse a job can she do in leading the team than her predecessors over the last two decades?  :angry:

• The last time the Bills won a playoff game was in 1995.
  • The last time the Bills won more than 9 games in the same season was 1999.
  • The Bills have had 6 GMs -- John Butler, Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy, Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley, and Brandon Beane -- plus a two year stretch without one -- since 2000.
  • The Bills have had 8 HCs (excluding temp HCs) -- Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan, and Sean McDermott -- since 2000.
  • The Bills have had only 3 winning seasons since 2000.
  • The Bills have made the playoffs only once since 2000, and that was only by literally lucking into them.
  • The Bills mistakes on player personnel have been infamous, including trading away a future All Pro LT and a future All Pro RB for almost nothing to whiffing on draft picks like Aaron Maybin and John McCargo.

I understand the awards and emoji reactions but this should be quoted 1000000000 times. 

I dont have any idea if she will do a good job. But look at the history with experts. If she runs it like a business, and if she makes winning a goal, than that’s her job. 

I like that it won’t be a moronic boys club. And she’s local. 

Go get em Kim. 

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree with this. I said it in another thread, "football guys" or whatever you want to call them are nothing more than glorified gym teachers in my opinion for the most part.

Look at gettleman, listen to polian talk now and I think he could still get a job. Then you have fishers, dorseys, idziks, tannenbaums, and hurneys littered thought out the league. Top it off with some Fox's, and Grudens. I'm sure some franchise could be fooled into taking on Dungy or Cowher now. It's a joke at times.

Guys like Sashi Brown or Sam Hinkie never get a chance to complete their vision. They'd rather recycle the safe "football guy". I feel like I sound like Schopp and it's gross. 

Yes. I hope she brings in the analytics people for real. Run a business. Not a boys club of jocks. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John in Jax said:

Hey, I totally agree, and my skin is as thick as anybody's.....BUT, besides the fact that it's a low class/disgusting move, I'm pretty sure the rules in here don't allow for people to namecall/personally attack other posters because they have a differing opinion.

I think they're more like "loose guidelines variably enforced depending upon which mods are around and what they notice" but yes, civility in discussion is desired.

No, insulting people because they have a differing opinion does not align with that

The way an opinion is expressed often has some impact on the motivation to hurl insults, so there's that.

6 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

The biggest issue with Kim isn't her lack of experience rather a lack of real accountability... what's Terry gonna Do, fire her?

That's a point.  But if you look around the league, I think you'll see there are a lot of relatives employed high-up in football FO.  And I don't hear people yelling "OMG we've got nepotism just like Team Y", they're yelling about qualifications.  Maybe there was similar yelling in these other towns, IDK.

6 hours ago, 100DollarBills said:

They brought this on themselves. They will have to answer to the fans. If we aren't getting results, they will have hire a real football president. 

As opposed to the accountability, what the owner of the team "brought on himself" and what he "had to do" over the last 20 years or so or football results with Russ Brandon as president ?  :blink:

8 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

She will be the voice of the organization when the county and city sit down with her and discuss how much of the taxpayers (property) dollars "she/they "want for the new stadium.

Ok if that is what the job description is then yes she is qualified based off what she has already been doing for the NFL

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

who knows but I don't care about other teams.

look I'm not against Kim but is she the best person for the job? I'm not saying she isn't just that What makes her qualified , to which no one has answered except that she owns the team which is not good enough.

remember when Terry 's daughters wanted that hockey player (forgot his name) and he ended up sucking, I don't want a repeat of things like that.

Again what is the job description?  Until someone can accurately list that then there is no wat to judge her qualifications 

• Like (+1) 1