RUMOR - Agent claims NE wanted Mayfield at #2

1 hour ago, section122 said:

The Patriots are known for bringing in QBs they have no intention of drafting to get inside their mind.  It gives them information and helps them in game planning.  I'll try to dig up the article.  This makes sense then when the smoke was there for Mayfield at 3 to the Jets.  Hopefully the Bills did likewise as you stated with Darnold.  One of those tricks that the Patriots* use to get a leg up and it is a pretty good one imo.

This is exactly right.  Kirwan just said as much on Sirius.  Also, you can't talk to a player while he's under contract with another team.  So you speak with them during the draft process to garner a feel for the player for if/when they hit free agency.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Gettleman said he wast moving. Said he got no real offers, and the Bills did make an offer. And no way could the Pats outbid us if the pick was up for grabs.

Maybe they wanted to, but it was never going to happen.

Gettleman was saying teams were calling and offering a "box of popcorn, a hot pretzel and a hot dog for number two overall." He wanted a first rounder in 2019 before he even considered trading and we know now for certain that Beane wasn't keen on giving up any 2019 picks... likely because they expect to finish with a pretty rough record which could put them in the top five.

Belicheck trolling his former employer. Drumming up a bunch of hype around the guy he liked the least so the Browns would jump all over him. I mean, if the Pats like him he MUST be the next one? Right? RIGHT?!

Read it carefully.  I have no trouble believing NE considered it, called, asked how much it would cost to move up and 'nope'ed out of that immediately.  Like when you see something nice in the store, pick it up, check the price tag, go white and walk away... :D

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Why would Mayfield’s agent make that up? Why would Breer back it up? They have two firsts and two seconds and could have offered up the big oaf at TE. 

It’s great. Belichick didn’t want Jimmy G. in the conference so he wouldn’t deal with the Browns and then the Browns end up taking his next target.

The end is near NE. Finally.

If you are seriously asking why and not being facetious - where do I start? 1. Cleveland is getting killed for the pick and he's trying to soften the blow. 2. Why would they trade with the Pats and not the Bills? 3. The Pats didn't have enough capital with both 1sts and two seconds. 4. The Giants sprinted to take Barkely and didn't answer the phone. 5. Many teams had him as their 3rd or 4th best QB. 

8 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Gettleman is Rex Ryan. All talk. I have no idea what kind of offer he would have accepted but I’m glad it didn’t go down. I would have hated seeing Baker in NE.

Me too i dont think hes that good and 

7 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don't really care what the Patriots do, they lucked into Brady and that story is about to end. All I care about is how the Bills build this team and get better every year. I can't wait for the Patriots to suck for 10 years.

they didnt luck into brady, go read about dick rehbine. The patriots where very intrested in brady before the draft and may have selected him earlier than 199. But they didnt have a need a qb, they had 3 on the depth chart before brady. They finally took him when it was too good to pass up.  

1 hour ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Me too i dont think hes that good and 

they didnt luck into brady, go read about dick rehbine. The patriots where very intrested in brady before the draft and may have selected him earlier than 199. But they didnt have a need a qb, they had 3 on the depth chart before brady. They finally took him when it was too good to pass up.  

Of course they lucked into Brady.  You don't wait until the 6th round to take a QB you think will be even backup-quality QB good, much less starter-quality, much much less HOF material.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

Just wanted to say I am SO !@#$ING GLAD the Patriots didn't draft Baker Mayfield.

That would have been beyond obnoxious. I would have had to stop watching the NFL for the next 15 years.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean Gettleman said he wasn’t moving.

If Gronk was a part maybe but he wasn’t moving from 31 and the high 20s to #2 only with picks

thats not enough capital 

Gettleman didn't say he wasn't moving. He said he never seriously considered any of the offers. Might have ended up considering an offer for more than he received.

Said he received a "very reasonable offer." Might have accepted a really really good offer.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/New-York-Giants-had-a-very-reasonable-offer-for-No-2-pick-117858343

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Gettleman didn't say he wasn't moving. He said he never seriously considered any of the offers. Might have ended up considering an offer for more than he received.

Said he received a "very reasonable offer." Might have accepted a really really good offer.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/New-York-Giants-had-a-very-reasonable-offer-for-No-2-pick-117858343

Thats more what I meant I just sent it fast and didn’t edit 

he said he wasn’t moving for peanuts and hotdogs.

no way the patriots had enough capital at 31 and 23 or wherever to go to 2

they would need a good amount more imo

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Of course they lucked into Brady.  You don't wait until the 6th round to take a QB you think will be even backup-quality QB good, much less starter-quality, much much less HOF material.

They didn't luck into Brady.

He didn't walk into their camp and say give me a tryout and they said we never heard of you but what the heck.

They first handled their FAs so that they would receive a comp pick in the 6th. And they then used that comp pick and drafted him higher than anyone else was willing to. That's a pair of really good decisions.

Edited by Thurman#1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thats more what I meant I just sent it fast and didn’t edit 

he said he wasn’t moving for peanuts and hotdogs.

no way the patriots had enough capital at 31 and 23 or wherever to go to 2

they would need a good amount more imo

Ah, understood. Fair enough. 

But they had two firsts and two seconds, correct? And their entire draft classes of 2019, 2020 and 2021. They had enough if they wanted, certainly enough to try.

Not sure they wanted it or would have done it either, but it's all possible.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody I have talked to said that the majority of NFL teams did have Baker #1

Some said Darnold

and 2 said Allen

0 votes for Rosen , Jackson or Rudolph 

Do you think the Bills had Allen number 1?

Edited by billspro

Remind me why people think Gronk is worth anything in a trade. He is getting older, has more injuries than I can count, and seriously considered retiring this year.

So no, I don't think you could get more than a 3rd or 4th for him, and that team would know he is only a 1 year rental.

NE didn't have the capital to get to #2. Period. This has to be a false rumor.

6 minutes ago, billspro said:

Do you think the Bills had Allen number 1?

I don’t believe so but idk for sure. They obviously coveted Allen and had a high grade on him

i did hear Allen over Rosen but I’m not sure if they had Allen or Baker/Darnold or how close it was

Ive heard it was Darnold, Allen, Baker But it’s speculation 

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They didn't luck into Brady.

He didn't walk into their camp and say give me a tryout and they said we never heard of you but what the heck.

They first handled their FAs so that they would receive a comp pick in the 6th. And they then used that comp pick and drafted him higher than anyone else was willing to. That's a pair of really good decisions.

Please stop with this nonsense.  You don't take a QB in the 6th round if you think he's any good.  It was luck, plain and simple.

20 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Talking to Andrew Brandt, the Patriots told us he is in for a big surprise if he doesn’t go number one. Breer’s response, so this can be told now. Seems to confirm what the Agent said.

Pretty crazy stuff. Makes me even happier that the Browns took him.

dont believe everything you read--- just like everyone else stated-- no way would they move down to low end of first rd

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t believe so but idk for sure. They obviously coveted Allen and had a high grade on him

i did hear Allen over Rosen but I’m not sure if they had Allen or Baker/Darnold or how close it was

Ive heard it was Darnold, Allen, Baker But it’s speculation 

That would be my guess. I think Darnold and Allen were the top two. Their grades must have been pretty close between the two otherwise I think they would have mortgaged the future and traded up to two.

14 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

I dont buy it either.  They would have had to give me way too much to get up there.  Altho Brady definitely doesnt seem all that happy with the organization anymore.  But if they wanted a QB why didnt they just keep Jimmy G. 

Players also count as collateral.  I could have easily seen them trade Gronkowski + another player + their first and second rounders for #2.

The concept is ludicrous. NE might have liked to have traded up, but why the heck would the Giants move from 2 to the end of the 1st rd? You're talking about a GM in Gettleman who has never traded back in the 1st and next year's first rounder wasn't going to help him win now. That's like me saying I would have dated Jennifer Lawrence were I not with my current gf, it's so far-fetched it's ridiculous.  

On draft day I had the top 4 QB's rated like this.

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold 

3. Allen 

4. Falk

5. Rosen

I was not surprised to hear that the Patriots were interested in Mayfield, thank god they didn't get the chance to draft him and neither did the Jets. We dodged two major bullets in Jimmy G getting traded and Mayfield not being in the division. 

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Please stop with this nonsense.  You don't take a QB in the 6th round if you think he's any good.  It was luck, plain and simple.

Tell you what, I'll stop with the nonsense if you stop with the utter crap.

If you don't think a QB is any good, you don't draft him. The Patriots ... drafted Tom Brady. The other 31 teams ... didn't. That's the opposite of luck, it's making a decision better than anyone else did.

It wasn't a lottery. Nobody was throwing darts at a dartboard. It was a draft, where teams select guys. The Patriots put Brady's name on a card, and nobody else did.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Tell you what, I'll stop with the nonsense if you stop with the utter crap.

If you don't think a QB is any good, you don't draft him. The Patriots ... drafted Tom Brady. The other 31 teams ... didn't. That's the opposite of luck, it's making a decision better than anyone else did.

It wasn't a lottery. Nobody was throwing darts at a dartboard. It was a draft, where teams select guys. The Patriots put Brady's name on a card, and nobody else did.

They were lucky no one else lucked into him.  Thanks for making my point.

• Like (+1) 2

And if the Bills hit on Allen, you could easily say they got some luck in that none of the 6 teams drafting before them took him/traded out of their spots so someone else could, and that the Bucs took their offer instead of the Cards'.  Waiting until the 6th round to take a QB?  Please. 

17 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

I dont buy it either.  They would have had to give me way too much to get up there.  Altho Brady definitely doesnt seem all that happy with the organization anymore.  But if they wanted a QB why didnt they just keep Jimmy G. 

I don't know what the reason is but I doubt it will be good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I don't know what the reason is but I doubt it will be good enough. 

They couldn't keep him.  Brady wanted to keep playing and JG was an UFA adn turned down a lowball offer from them to stay.  They would have had to franchise him or give him a gigantic deal, probably bigger than Brady's, to keep him, and they weren't going to do that.

4 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Players also count as collateral.  I could have easily seen them trade Gronkowski + another player + their first and second rounders for #2.

Thats true but they didnt do it.  If they were looking to address the QB position then why did they wait till the end of the draft to do it.  We heard all this talk about how much they liked KL but they didnt take him either.  Im sorry i just dont buy it.

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Looks like the Pats told his agent this in order to schedule a visit. 

I had surmised a few weeks ago that the Bills did the same to get the late stage private workout with Darnold 

Makes me wonder if maybe Belichick was doing it so he had some intel on Mayfield in case he ended up in the AFCE, as there were a lot of rumors at that time that the Jets wanted him bad.