Bills would have “strongly considered” Mason Rudolph at 22

On 4/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, NewEraBills said:

Yep, this solidifies it for me.

Their top 3 were:

Darnold

Allen 

Rudolph

I doubt that was their overall top 3 ranking though on the board, maybe targets based on where they might get them, but I seriously doubt that Baker was not in their top 3.  They met with Baker a lot, in fact, I think Baker was their top target personally, more so than Darnold.  Just my opinion of course, but just going on what went down pre draft.

I suspect their Board likely went:  Baker, Darnold, Allen.  Could have even been Baker, Allen, Darnold as they seem to have been very high on Allen.  My bigger question is who they had at #4, 5, and 6 between Rudolph, Rosen, and Lamar.  

So I think with the Mason stuff, it was more about they would have strongly considered him at 22 if they didnt trade up and decided to go Edmunds at 12 then grab a QB at 22 where they would have expected Mason to still be on the board but maybe not the guys they had ranked ahead of him.  I don't think it means he was the 3rd ranked QB on their actual draft board because Allen was certainly ranked ahead of him since they drafted him, and I don't see how they could possibly have Mason ahead of either Darnold or Baker either.  

8 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If Ben actually commits to 3-5 more years the Rudolph selection was worth it to eliminate his annual waffling on continuing to play.

....good point......3-5 more years is an eternity with him whining last year about possibly retiring.......so Colbert calls his bluff and picks Rudolph who I think certainly has some potential......sure Landry Jones was thought to be THE guy post Ben, but no comparison vs Rudolph IMO.....

10 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Any reason you'd take Fumbles over someone like Rosen?

I was only talking about the QB's that the Bills liked (Darnold, Allen, Rudolph). 

I would've definitely taken Rosen over Allen. 

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I suspect their Board likely went:  Baker, Darnold, Allen.  Could have even been Baker, Allen, Darnold as they seem to have been very high on Allen.  My bigger question is who they had at #4, 5, and 6 between Rudolph, Rosen, and Lamar.  

If my source is right and Baker and Rosen were off their board and Rudolph was 3rd... but with a gap in where they valued him as compared to Darnold and Allen and Lamar was not 4th..... then the interesting question is who did the Bills like 4th? Kyle Lauletta? Mike White? Luke Falk?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Being willing to take a guy 22nd overall who the rest of the NFL deemed a 3rd round pick is a major concern in my eyes. 

By that same logic, you'd have been appalled at a team selecting Dak Prescott in the 1st round too--and you'd have been wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

By that same logic, you'd have been appalled at a team selecting Dak Prescott in the 1st round too--and you'd have been wrong.

You're right. I would have. 

I told people the talk of picking Mason Rudolph in round 1 was insane, and that he was more comparable to former 4th round picks like Bryce Petty and Landry Jones. He's a mediocre talent with hardly any upside, so the talk of picking him in the first round is extremely bothersome. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

You're right. I would have. 

I told people the talk of picking Mason Rudolph in round 1 was insane, and that he was more comparable to former 4th round picks like Bryce Petty and Landry Jones. He's a mediocre talent with hardly any upside, so the talk of picking him in the first round is extremely bothersome. 

It's not bothersome to me...I personally wouldn't have picked Rudolph before round 3, but there are some of us that recognize that we aren't always right about QBs.

Comparing what the rest of the NFL thought to what NFL Network says that Buffalo's GM would have considered really doesn't mean much.  The rest of the NFL thought Dak Prescott was a 4th round pick and Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

It's not bothersome to me...I personally wouldn't have picked Rudolph before round 3, but there are some of us that recognize that we aren't always right about QBs.

Comparing what the rest of the NFL thought to what NFL Network says that Buffalo's GM would have considered really doesn't mean much.  The rest of the NFL thought Dak Prescott was a 4th round pick and Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick.

Right. And for every Russel Wilson and Dak Prescott there are ten 3rd/4th round QBs who are complete crap. 

Just because they picked a guy there doesn't make them "smart".

If Dallas knew what they were getting from Prescott, they'd have picked him a lot earlier than the end of the 4th round. Ditto for the Seahawks picking Wilson in round 3. 

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Being willing to take a guy 22nd overall who the rest of the NFL deemed a 3rd round pick is a major concern in my eyes. 

I'm going to go ahead and take the Steelers' scouting team's opinion over yours, no offense.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I'm going to go ahead and take the Steelers' scouting team's opinion over yours, no offense.

I have no issue with the Steelers having picked Rudolph in round 3. 

That's exactly where he should have been picked.

It's the talk on this board of us picking him 22nd, or in some extremely stupid cases 12th overall that was completely insane. 

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think Dak is very overrated, but still a lot better than Rudolph. I don't think he is a first round quarterback, but I would have taken him in the second or third. Rudolph is a 3-4 to me. I posted this a couple weeks ago: 

Popular thought is that Dak is really good. He really isn't. He is ok. He is totally reliant on having a good supporting cast and can't really make plays when he is the man. I think he does still have some upside because he has the physical ability. If he doesn't make a huge jump, the Cowboys will be drafting another in a couple of years. 

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article192404149.html

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Dak-Prescott-isnt-even-a-game-manager-110956037

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Right. And for every Russel Wilson and Dak Prescott there are ten 3rd/4th round QBs who are complete crap. 

Just because they picked a guy there doesn't make them "smart".

If Dallas knew what they were getting from Prescott, they'd have picked him a lot earlier than the end of the 4th round. Ditto for the Seahawks picking Wilson in round 3. 

Yeah... that's the point

Despite how much you yell and tout your QB-related genius, you don't know how Rudolph will end up. If he ends up being a franchise guy, then the team that would've picked him at 22 looks smart.

It's the talk on this board of us picking him 22nd, or in some extremely stupid cases 12th overall that was completely insane. 

They had him graded as a top QB prospect is what I mean. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I would post the "he's right" Morgan Freeman meme if I knew what I was doing. But yes. That is the issue. There has to be something to getting good value and those who wanted to draft this guy at 12 or 22 and are still clinging to the idea that he should have been picked in the first are just being illogical. 

The article does not say they "would have picked" it says they would have "strongly considered"

You want to know WHY they would have strongly considered....THEY NEED A QB.....which is why they DIDNT wait and then reach for Mason.

More then likely what would have happened is we come out of the draft without a 1st round qb which in many eyes would be a absolute disaster because at the 22nd pick there would have been a player rated higher on their boards (and then we would not have Edmunds)

On 5/3/2018 at 9:38 AM, Chuck Wagon said:

If Ben actually commits to 3-5 more years the Rudolph selection was worth it to eliminate his annual waffling on continuing to play.

Hilarious and true.   Nailed it. :lol: :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would post the "he's right" Morgan Freeman meme if I knew what I was doing. But yes. That is the issue. There has to be something to getting good value and those who wanted to draft this guy at 12 or 22 and are still clinging to the idea that he should have been picked in the first are just being illogical. 

We just don't know how Rudolph was rated by the organization. If the Bills rated him as a second round prospect from a value standpoint but were determined to come out of this draft with a qb then it isn't crazy to believe that they  would have taken him with their second first round pick out of fear that he wouldn't be available in the second round. We now know that Rudolph was taken in the third round but most prognosticators pegged him as very likely to be taken in the second round. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We just don't know how Rudolph was rated by the organization. If the Bills rated him as a second round prospect from a value standpoint but were determined to come out of this draft with a qb then it isn't crazy to believe that they  would have taken him with their second first round pick out of fear that he wouldn't be available in the second round. We now know that Rudolph was taken in the third round but most prognosticators pegged him as very likely to be taken in the second round. 

Agreed, but I would not feel good about the idea that all of the other teams in the league determined he was a third round pick (despite what the Steelers are telling us). 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If my source is right and Baker and Rosen were off their board and Rudolph was 3rd... but with a gap in where they valued him as compared to Darnold and Allen and Lamar was not 4th..... then the interesting question is who did the Bills like 4th? Kyle Lauletta? Mike White? Luke Falk?

Yeah if your info is correct, would be interesting to see who they had at 4

On 5/1/2018 at 6:53 AM, SouthNYfan said:

Ben contemplated retirement this off-season.

I doubt he plays more than 2 years.

I see no reason to pass on him if you think so highly of him.

It's Rudolph fans trying to act like he was higher rated than a third, even to the Steelers.

I have no doubt they are happy drafting him, but if they had a first round grade, and thought he could be the heir to Ben, they would have taken him sooner than they did.

Do you have any examples of this happening? What the Steelers normally do is let the draft fall to them, especially in the first couple rounds. I think they have gone up for Polamalu, Santionio holmes and maybe Kendrell bell in the last 20 or so years? They evaluate the players and take guys who will help them win in the next year. I think the Rooney's learned the value of player evaluation between the 60's and the 70's and still see that as the most important factor in the draft. I think this is why Whaley was not all that concerned about getting a qb first and foremost.

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Do you have any examples of this happening? What the Steelers normally do is let the draft fall to them, especially in the first couple rounds. I think they have gone up for Polamalu, Santionio holmes and maybe Kendrell bell in the last 20 or so years? They evaluate the players and take guys who will help them win in the next year. I think the Rooney's learned the value of player evaluation between the 60's and the 70's and still see that as the most important factor in the draft. I think this is why Whaley was not all that concerned about getting a qb first and foremost.

I'm not talking about trading up.

I'm talking about not waiting until the third round for a guy they supposedly had a "first round grade" on.

Letting a draft "fall to you" would be grading a guy, and not trading up higher than where you think he should go.

If they felt he was a "first round grade" then why not take him in the second?

I understand passing on the first because they might have had edmunds higher than Rudolph, for example, but it's extremely unlikely they had their second round pick as a first round grade as well, which meant Rudolph was rated below their second round guy, aka not a "first round grade"

14 minutes ago, wppete said:

Not looking like a good situation for Rudolph. Big Ben is acting like a Diva.

Yep I've said it a few times, but replacing a legend when you have marginal talent is not an ideal place to be. Especially if said legend does not want you there. Rudolph will be on waivers in three years. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, wppete said:

Not looking like a good situation for Rudolph. Big Ben is acting like a Diva.

Ben has pretty much always been a jerk.

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yep I've said it a few times, but replacing a legend when you have marginal talent is not an ideal place to be. Especially if said legend does not want you there. Rudolph will be on waivers in three years. 

Seems like favre-rodgers, only Rudolph isn't even half the prospect Rodgers was 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Wow this just shows this regime is completely clueless.

Pittsburgh had a first round grade on Rudolph too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/29/steelers-ranked-mason-rudolph-alongside-first-round-quarterbacks/

http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-4/Labriola-on-Day-2-of-the-NFL-Draft/e9d81eb3-73ec-4413-80f5-7be05c73f237

" They found they liked Rudolph so much that they placed a first-round grade on him, but when it came time to make their No. 1 pick they went with another guy with a first-round grade who filled a more pressing need: safety Terrell Edmunds. Rudolph wasn’t picked in the first round, and the Steelers believed it was prudent to fill their hole at wide receiver when their turn came around in the second round. When Rudolph wasn’t picked in the second round, either, and things moved into Round 3, the Steelers started to believe they had to find a way to capitalize on this unexpected opportunity." - Steelers.com

Does Pittsburgh suck?

How do they build, through the draft or fancy F/A signings?

This regime has gotten the salary cap back in line next year, got rid of malcontents and found a way to motivate a lackluster roster into breaking a 17 year playoff hiatus

but they 'are clueless' according to you

On 4/30/2018 at 5:18 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m on record that I would have been okay at 53 or 56 if the other 5 QBs were gone. I would have hated 22. This isn’t hindsight coming from me. It’s documented.

Ive also said I would be surprised if he was picked in round one by anybody as he’s a completely normal day 2 prospect and after a huge free agency and first round run I’d be shocked if there were enough holes left for teams to go nuts overdrafting a lower upside guy like this