Opinions on why we passed on Rosen?

16 minutes ago, 13player said:

4 reasons,

2 concussions

1 bum shoulder

1 arrogant SOB with Ryan Leaf Syndrome

Even if Allen's a bust and Rosen is great, he is 1 concussion away from the end of the line!

^^^^^^ Nuff said !!! ?

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

This is exactly why.  It seems like McDermott and Beane are following the same blueprint they did in Carolina.  Allen gives them a strong armed, athletic QB.  Cam had accuracy issues in college and they were minimized in the NFL, so they think they can do the same with Allen.   

Many of us Bills fans wanted Rosen but it’s clear that the Bills didn’t want him.  This is why we had to overspend at #7, instead of getting him later.  Arizona wanted Allen and our team was not ok with that.

I also think the injury concern was a big factor with why he wasn’t drafted.  

Forget about college, Cam's career NFL completion percentage is 58.5....

When the Bills were on the clock at 7, I wanted Rosen.  Literally seconds before Goodell made the announcement, I thought "I don't want Rosen, I want Allen."

For me, it's attitude, and Rosen demonstrated it again in his comments about making 9 teams pay.   For Rosen, sooner or later it always seems to be about Rosen.   I don't a guy like that.   I want a guy who's always about winning. 

Look, Allen went at 7, Rosen at 10.   Which guy had the right, over his entire football career, to feel slighted?   The guy whose nickname in high school, for heaven's sake, was "chosen."   The guy who went to the glamour football school?   The guy who's been all over the media for the past three years?

Of the guy who played 8-man football in high school, who was recruited by ZERO Division I schools, the guy who went to junior college and sent 1000 emails to coaches, begging for a shot?   

Allen has lived his football life PROVING people wrong.   Rosen has lived his football life reading his press clippings.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

When Beane said... “we couldn’t find a single person who had anything bad to say about him”... I kind of took that as a comparison. As if they did collect some negative feedback on Rosen.

Good point.  There definitely are some people who don't like Rosen. 

Two things ... Honestly I think it was at least in part the Pegulas. They wanted someone that could represent the city properly and fell in love with the aw shucks, just a good ole country boy thing Allen had going on. 

Pretty sure I heard some comments from Kim Pegula just days before the draft emphasizing attitude/character. Right there - I think Rosen lost the Pegulas and lost McDermott.

Second they picked Allen for a reason ... And part of it had to be that our football brain trust acknowledged that he WAS improving on his accuracy, through his work with Jordan Palmer. You gotta know that before he worked out for the team there was a discussion about accuracy. Our coaches say, hey what about this 56% bull ****? That won't fly in the NFL. Allen says, yeah, I got that. Let me show you exactly how I did it wrong in the Boise State game or the game against Oregon. See, Coach McD? And now I do it like this, Coach.

Then the workout. Then they go back to tape at the Senior Bowl. 

Edited by Tyrod's friend

14 minutes ago, eball said:

I was watching the draft and my wife came into the room just before the Bills traded with Tampa.  After the pick I told her I was a little bummed they took Allen over Rosen and she looked at Rosen and immediately said, "he looks like he will break."  :lol:

Made my night.

His neck looked just tiny.  We passed because he holds the ball and can't move which = concussions.  Plus Allen has much, much better upside.  Plus Rosen is a wanker.  What more do fans need?  Geez.

29 minutes ago, colin said:

because he's physically weak and will be hurt in the nfl.

allen was taken because the staff sees someone they can coach up into being a brett favre/cam newton type of player.

Right, b/c QBs with chronic accuracy issues in college are frequently "coached up" into good NFL quarterbacks.

:rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I really don't see how we can have this discussion without taking the gloves off and talking politics, religion, and the fact that California QBs just plain suck.

Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers are from California, aren't they?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Right, b/c QBs with chronic accuracy issues in college are frequently "coached up" into good NFL quarterbacks.

His accuracy issues are caused by his footwork, which can be fixed easily.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Attitude, lack of mobility, and the concussions probably scared them off. 

I definitely preferred him, but finding my way to the Allen side today. 

Well, in my view (which isn't worth much, admittedly) Josh Allen handled himself with more class and professionalism concerning "TweetGate" than Rosen did in sliding to 10. 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Not frequently. But yes, it does happen. Tyrod, Favre, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford and Brady have all been coached up for instance and showed improvement that has carried over onto the field.

Yes, there are plenty who have been coached up and still sucked. But it does go both ways and we don't yet know which way Allen will go.

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Josh Allen is from CA

Yes. I think that was my point, wasn't it? Now I'm getting confused.

Edited by Thurman#1

Pegulas, like many of the owners as evidenced by the audio of their meeting, are afraid of players who will publicly take a stand for positive social justice by taking a knee or speaking out. Fortunately there are a couple, who like the NBA, are not afraid of a crazy tweet or misunderstanding fans and don’t let it cloud their judgement on who’s the best on-field talent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PastaJoe said:

Pegulas, like many of the owners as evidenced by the audio of their meeting, are afraid of players who will publicly take a stand for positive social justice by taking a knee or speaking out. Fortunately there are a couple, who like the NBA, are not afraid of a crazy tweet or misunderstanding fans and don’t let it cloud their judgement on who’s the best on-field talent.

You see,  Politics.  

Shortly I expect SL to come out with McD's anti Jewish conspiracies. 

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not frequently. But yes, it does happen. Tyrod, Favre, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford and Brady have all been coached up for instance and showed improvement that has carried over onto the field.

Yes, there are plenty who have been coached up and still sucked. But it does go both ways and we don't yet know which way Allen will go.

Yes. I think that was my point, wasn't it? Now I'm getting confused.

Haha! No, I'm with you :lol:

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

When the Bills were on the clock at 7, I wanted Rosen.  Literally seconds before Goodell made the announcement, I thought "I don't want Rosen, I want Allen."

For me, it's attitude, and Rosen demonstrated it again in his comments about making 9 teams pay.   For Rosen, sooner or later it always seems to be about Rosen.   I don't a guy like that.   I want a guy who's always about winning. 

Look, Allen went at 7, Rosen at 10.   Which guy had the right, over his entire football career, to feel slighted?   The guy whose nickname in high school, for heaven's sake, was "chosen."   The guy who went to the glamour football school?   The guy who's been all over the media for the past three years?

Of the guy who played 8-man football in high school, who was recruited by ZERO Division I schools, the guy who went to junior college and sent 1000 emails to coaches, begging for a shot?   

Allen has lived his football life PROVING people wrong.   Rosen has lived his football life reading his press clippings.  

Interesting that you switched at the last second. Huh.

I disagree with you about Rosen, but agree about Allen. Both had a right to feel slighted but Allen through his whole career and Rosen through the draft process with the narrative about being spoiled.

I'm hopeful but less so than I would have been with Rosen. Hope you're right but I kinda like the Cards organisation and so I hope Rosen does well too.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Actually, no, they are not.  That is a common yet enduring myth.  Rogers is from Ohio and Carson is also from Ohio.

Edited by Jauronimo

I thought they'd draft Rosen too, but now Allen is a Bill. I hope he hits that very high ceiling and stays stuck to it for the next 20 years. I won't lie, though. I've heard the phrase "accuracy issues" way too often since Kelley retired. Man, I hope he makes it because he is going to need a LOT of coaching up for a top 10 pick. He seems to lack the mental part of the game, so hopefully he can improve there. The 'way off target' throws need to disappear too. Those are at high risk for turnovers. Also, Allen doesn't have anyone to throw to and probably won't until next year. Ditto for blocking in front of him. Let AJ take the hits.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Rosen was talked about as probably the best pure pocket quarterback in the draft. He was available for the Bills to grab but they passed. 

Any options on why exactly we didn't like him?

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

-Concerns about playing in the cold weather?

-Was he just overrated in general?

Thoughts?

Injury history is tops. Attitude second.

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Interesting that you switched at the last second. Huh.

I disagree with you about Rosen, but agree about Allen. Both had a right to feel slighted but Allen through his whole career and Rosen through the draft process with the narrative about being spoiled.

I'm hopeful but less so than I would have been with Rosen. Hope you're right but I kinda like the Cards organisation and so I hope Rosen does well too.

I'm with you.   Second only to Allen succeeding, I want Darnold to bust. 

16 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

The Pegulas have 31 other owners in their peer group, and being still the junior members of the club, they can't be rocking the boat.

25 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Actually, no, they are not.  That is a common yet enduring myth.  Rogers is from Ohio and Carson is also from Ohio.

Could you please shoot me your sources on this?

Way I see it, both were born in Cali and played their high school and college ball there and Palmer spent nearly all his life in Cali before being drafted. Looks like Rodgers spent a while in Oregon but was mostly in Cali.

Edited by Thurman#1

20 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Well, in my view (which isn't worth much, admittedly) Josh Allen handled himself with more class and professionalism concerning "TweetGate" than Rosen did in sliding to 10. 

Can't disagree with you there! 

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Could you please shoot me your sources on this?

Way I see it, both were born in Cali and played their high school and college ball there. Palmer spent nearly all his life in Cali before being drafted. Rodgers spent a while in Oregon but was mostly in Cali.

https://www.50states.com/bio/ohio.htm

suck it!

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Rosen was talked about as probably the best pure pocket quarterback in the draft. He was available for the Bills to grab but they passed. 

Any options on why exactly we didn't like him?

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

-Concerns about playing in the cold weather?

-Was he just overrated in general?

Thoughts?

See his post draft interview. His wanna be Aaron Rodgers persona is pretty bad. I don't know if he would have meshed well with McDermott. 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Just my thoughts but listening/watching some of his interview he comes off as a Tom Brady type person.  Not his football but his attitude.  He sounds competitive but competitive to the point where he would point a finger at someone.  That's not the type of player they want considering they are relieving themselves of "me first" kind of players.

Just my 2 cents.

I get that.  The difference is Brady is the GOAT and has earned the right and Rosen was the 10th pick in the 2018 draft.