Week One Starter?

H2o

With the selection of Allen last night and the flaws many of us see in his game, who do you think is the week one starter? 

McCarron is a backup QB with an arm like Pennington. Nate? The same. In steps Josh Allen and his Howitzer. McCarron has starting experience and didn't fair too bad in Cincy when the opportunity arose. Peterman? Well, we all saw the outcome of that. If Josh Allen can't beat out McCarron in camp what will your mindset be? Right now the way things are I expect a defense that keeps us in games, but an offense that can't put up the points just like in years past. Even though I don't like him, I would hope the guy we traded up for is good enough to beat out both of these guys and show us all something. In my gut I feel we are headed for a long season with sub-par QB play once again. A season that will be like many of the drought where we are talking about the draft by November. 

McC starts for sure IMO. Peterman will be his backup IMO this is all about the two other QBs in the 2018 spotlight..

Allen needs to sit and be more ready for his start so IMO if the two others do well enough Allen will be shelved all of 2018.

I want Allen to start day one.  This team doesn't have the luxury of letting him  learn for 3 years like he needs, but they knew that when they took him .

Play him Immediately and let him sink or swim.  Let's go 1-15 and get some other talent in here.  

Showwhatyou got kid.  

• Like (+1) 1

McCarron or Peterman is a wash for me. Honestly, I've watched McCarron's starts and just don't see anything better than Peterman.

Peterman had that horrible start against the NFL's best pass defense, but then he bounced back in the snow game. He did the same thing in college, when he had a horrific first game, but then bounced back to be a decent college QB. It's like he just purges his jitters by figuratively puking all over the field his first game and then he's good to go.

McCarron was just...meh...in his starts. He tossed it up for AJ Green effectively. He also threw a horrible interception if I remember correctly.

I don't think Josh Allen can win a QB competition in his first year, but I'd be delighted if he did. Ideally, I want him to sit the year out and learn from Daboll and the other QBs.

I believe that Allen will start week one, it'd be great if we had a Bret Favre or Eli Manning or whatever, for Allen to sit behind, but the fact is that neither of our 2 guys has any more experience than All, if the coaches decide that starting him won't have any negative impact on his development then hell yeah, we don't need to see McCarron or Peterman on the field, get All out there and get reps.

Just now, greeneblitz said:

I believe that Allen will start week one, it'd be great if we had a Bret Favre or Eli Manning or whatever, for Allen to sit behind, but the fact is that neither of our 2 guys has any more experience than All, if the coaches decide that starting him won't have any negative impact on his development then hell yeah, we don't need to see McCarron or Peterman on the field, get All out there and get reps.

Please stop calling him "All."

What is that?

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

I don't think Allen will start week 1. He should be brought along. The offensive line is going to give up a ton of pressure and the WR core is anemic. I expect to see something similar to what the Rams did with Goff and we'll see Allen later in the year.

Allen had a terrible line and was always under pressure his whole career in college

2 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Allen had a terrible line and was always under pressure his whole career in college

Is that a reason to start a guy week 1? His stats performing behind a bad line in college don't suggest doing the same at a higher level of football.  

I'm torn. I believe this guy is going to be a huge bust. So maybe we should start him now, let him flame out so we can start the QB search process again without burning three to four years. Or do you play AJ and try to have some semblance of a good team for the next two years. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

With the selection of Allen last night and the flaws many of us see in his game, who do you think is the week one starter? 

McCarron is a backup QB with an arm like Pennington. Nate? The same. In steps Josh Allen and his Howitzer. McCarron has starting experience and didn't fair too bad in Cincy when the opportunity arose. Peterman? Well, we all saw the outcome of that. If Josh Allen can't beat out McCarron in camp what will your mindset be? Right now the way things are I expect a defense that keeps us in games, but an offense that can't put up the points just like in years past. Even though I don't like him, I would hope the guy we traded up for is good enough to beat out both of these guys and show us all something. In my gut I feel we are headed for a long season with sub-par QB play once again. A season that will be like many of the drought where we are talking about the draft by November. 

He won't start in 2018, period. He'll be a redshirt #3 behind Peterman. This is not a knock. It's a fact that McDermott made fairly clear yesterday without coming out and saying it. He's got to be coached up.

He’ll be starting over Peterman when it comes to clipboard holding. Peterman would fumble it, Allen has the stronger arm to hold it for more hours. 

No way he sees the field this year. 

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

I'm torn. I believe this guy is going to be a huge bust. So maybe we should start him now, let him flame out so we can start the QB search process again without burning three to four years. Or do you play AJ and try to have some semblance of a good team for the next two years. 

If you want him to flame out, start him. If you want him to succeed down the road, sit him.

Not a chance.

He's a huge project. This is like drafting an NBA player out of high school. We need to teach him how to play the game for a couple years before he'll be properly prepared to compete on an NFL field.

This guy needs to sit on the bench as long as possible. 2 years on the bench would be ideal. 

Edited by jrober38

9 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

If you invest in a project QB, do the right thing by him with development.

I don’t see any point in rushing him in unless he somehow can’t be denied in camp.

I agree, let him sit this year.  It’s not just about picking the right qb, it’s about putting him in a situation to succeed.  Wait a year, shore up the roster with your cap space money next year ($100MM+) and another solid draft.  Then bring him in and have him play with a roster that can support him, not one that he will have to carry.  

We just made a big investment in Allen.  Let’s not Peterman him.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

22 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I want Allen to start day one.  This team doesn't have the luxury of letting him  learn for 3 years like he needs, but they knew that when they took him .

Play him Immediately and let him sink or swim.  Let's go 1-15 and get some other talent in here.  

Showwhatyou got kid.  

Why don't they have the luxury of sitting him?

Allen might be able to start right away.  They need to simplify an offense, make it one read, a lot of roll outs, etc., similar to what Dallas did with Prescott.

I was certainly on the Rosen bandwagon, but it would be much harder to run this type of offense with any of the other QBs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you want him to flame out, start him. If you want him to succeed down the road, sit him.

What I really want is for him to be gone have our two second round picks back. I would have taken any quarterback in the draft other than this guy.

51 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

I don't think Allen will start week 1. He should be brought along. The offensive line is going to give up a ton of pressure and the WR core is anemic. I expect to see something similar to what the Rams did with Goff and we'll see Allen later in the year.

I see this being the most accurate assessments. You definitely do not want to rush him into play. Now if he completely blows away McCarron and Peterman then maybe he starts, but i hope not. I would like to see him mature a bit and get used to the Pro game before he starts.

FWIW. I was hoping for Rosen, but that said, I will trust the FO decision and believe they picked the right guy. Only time will tell. Here's to hoping....:beer:

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Cause they have two ****ty QBs in competition with him.

So why do we need three then?

4 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Because we don't have a starting quarterback.  

If you start him now, you still won't.

30 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

What I really want is for him to be gone have our two second round picks back. I would have taken any quarterback in the draft other than this guy.

No take backs.

I don't think it's a good idea to start him this year at all. If you put him in a game and he struggles you get roasted. I want to see if the kid can play ball but it comes with a cost. A heavy one. Unless he is absolutely undisputed the best QB on the roster coming out of camp. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

AJ this season and maybe Allen in 2019.....give him time

I don't think so man.  I've expressed being down on the Allen pick, yet I'll be open enough to see what transpires.  When I think about our team, I was thinking we needed tp draft a QB that was ready to play right now because AJ and Nate don't really inspire a great deal of confidence.  I also thought that Josh Allen needed at least a season and a half to two seasons.  These were huge reasons why I did not want us to draft him.  My biggest fear is that because his competition does not instill a great deal of confidence that he's going to have to play earlier than I (we) initially thought.  I mean even though Allen has his flaws, is it really going to take much for him to beat out AJ and Nate?  And if the offense is stagnant out of the gate, fans are going to be calling for it.  If we are out of it by week 8 I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen starting before the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I don't think it's a good idea to start him this year at all. If you put him in a game and he struggles you get roasted. I want to see if the kid can play ball but it comes with a cost. A heavy one. Unless he is absolutely undisputed the best QB on the roster coming out of camp. 

That's going to be the problem.  His competition is AJ and Nate, not really very inspiring to keep him on the bench.  I think he's going to play this year at some point.

I think you're underrating McCarron's arm.  No, he's not Brett Favre, but he's got quite a bit more than Pennington, the quintissential "noodle arm."  I expect McCarron will start, but would not rule out Peterman.  Allen is the last QB I would expect to start, unless it it is some yet to be signed "camp arm."

I think it will come down to TC and the preseason, but you would hope the #7 pick could show enough to be on the field week one. It will be interesting to see the offense Daboll is running and how Allen does when the bullets start flying. 

Would love to have him sit a year, though if history is any indicator it's highly unlikely that it happens... practically no first round QB gets an actual "redshirt" year no matter what the team claims the plan is in April.

image.thumb.png.68ae59917542448cde1988b6b281525c.png

Josh Allen could use a year to sit but unless the team is competitive with McCarron at the helm, the pressure's going to be on to see what the kid has got.

Week 1 (0-0): "AJ's our starter."

Week 4 (0-3): "We believe AJ gives us the best chance to win right now."

Week 8 (2-5): "We evaluate the situation every week." ***ESPN pans to Josh Allen on the sideline every time McCarron makes an incompletion***

Week 9 (2-6): "Josh will get some first team reps in practice." ***Allen plays the 4th quarter and eeks out a win***

Week 10 (3-6): "This isn't just about winning, it's about the future." ***Allen vs. Darnold***

Week 12 (3-7): "We feel the bye week has given Josh the preparation he needs to be the starter the rest of the way..."

...and scene.

Not a chance they will ruin his developement and start him right away. Allen would have to be a super stud in preseason and I defintiely do not see him developing over night

He needs to develop some and if you throw him in there and things go South he'll never recover, and fans will crucify him and Beane.

I think Allen has a good enough mental grasp of the game that experience will benefit him more than learning theory on the bench. So I think he should start early, learn, and take his lumps as they come. But please do not mistake that as me being disappointed if he doesn't start early.