Is it fair to judge Josh Allen based on tweets?

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Smart, good kid who made a stupid mistake.  Key words:  Kid and Mistake.

Non-issue.

It's a non issue to white people who don't have to deal with racism on a daily basis. But is it a non issue to all the black players he'll be in the locker room with? That's really what's important and I don't know the answer to that. Maybe it's no big deal to them, but it's not my place to say.

• Like (+1) 3

Its worth asking him and his teammates and coaches about,  but I think its likely not a major issue and can be chalked up to a high school kid saying something he shouldn't have and probably regrets now.  It happens. 

I'm not a huge Josh Allen fan, but if the draft shakes out the way they are talking this morning (Mayfield #1, Darnold #2, Rosen #3) and this causes Allen to drop to #12, I'm all for it.

I would prefer any of those 3 over Allen, but if we can get one of the top 4 QBs in this draft at the 12 spot, it is the best case scenario. 

31 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I think that although it is unfortunate, today's world of social media makes it necessary for us to judge people quickly.  Context is important but Allen has literally had 8 or more hours to provide it.  It is now time to judge.

I think it is right to be fair and as such my judgement will be based on what I see from teams in the NFL.

If he goes to Cleveland, Denver, NYG or a team like Arizona moving up I think we should take a wait and see attitude and at least give him until he speaks to the press after his selection.  I think that 3 minutes, although nerve wracking for all of us, is fair to give him.

If a team stays put and he is selected at pick 13 or after this is a giant red flag and that team will have to put a lot of effort into rehabbing this kid's reputation.

If the Bills pick him at 12 or move up to get him, he was either hacked or at least we feel that our process will help him immediately.  If we wait and get him at 22 or later, he would fall into the category from the paragraph above.

If he is selected by NYJ, Mia or NE he is clearly a racist nazi pedophile now and forever unless we pick him up as a free agent in a few years.

lol..nicely done

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I 100% think it's a team that wants him to fall and is hoping teams above them don't do as deep media scouting as they do, or are more swayed by public perception.

Sounds like something a certain team from NEW ENGLAND might do....

10 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

I'm not a huge Josh Allen fan, but if the draft shakes out the way they are talking this morning (Mayfield #1, Darnold #2, Rosen #3) and this causes Allen to drop to #12, I'm all for it.

I would prefer any of those 3 over Allen, but if we can get one of the top 4 QBs in this draft at the 12 spot, it is the best case scenario. 

If the other three do go early and the Bills want him, they still can’t sit there and wait til 12.  Too much of a risk that someone else takes him.

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I 100% think it's a team that wants him to fall and is hoping teams above them don't do as deep media scouting as they do, or are more swayed by public perception.

Wonder what Ernie Adams was up to last night? Seems like a Cheats type subterfuge activity.

I think it's ok to judge Allen based on that Tweet, just like it's ok to judge Mayfield for his tweeted pic last night. Why on earth would he suggestively lay back in a bed with tight jean shorts? These kids need to get a handle on life and stop concerning themselves with matters of the flesh.

45 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I think that although it is unfortunate, today's world of social media makes it necessary for us to judge people quickly.  Context is important but Allen has literally had 8 or more hours to provide it.  It is now time to judge.

I think it is right to be fair and as such my judgement will be based on what I see from teams in the NFL.

If he goes to Cleveland, Denver, NYG or a team like Arizona moving up I think we should take a wait and see attitude and at least give him until he speaks to the press after his selection.  I think that 3 minutes, although nerve wracking for all of us, is fair to give him.

If a team stays put and he is selected at pick 13 or after this is a giant red flag and that team will have to put a lot of effort into rehabbing this kid's reputation.

If the Bills pick him at 12 or move up to get him, he was either hacked or at least we feel that our process will help him immediately.  If we wait and get him at 22 or later, he would fall into the category from the paragraph above.

If he is selected by NYJ, Mia or NE he is clearly a racist nazi pedophile now and forever unless we pick him up as a free agent in a few years.

I think you summed it up well...  

by the way tweeting edgey language that wasn’t even directed at insulting someone at 16 hardly does a racist make. Young Dumb kid trying to impress someone.... 

if he truely is a racist person, I’m sure someone from his college squad would have picked up on it, and brought it to the forefront. 

Allen is the one I have wanted, and I like everything else I have heard about the kid.  Nevertheless, those tweets are not good.  Always an excuse for a white athlete - he is a kid, it was a mistake.  Words matter.  And while I don't think these words necessarily mean he is a racist, they were uttered in 2013 not 1953.  And as such even at 16 he should have known better.  So while I would not judge him a racist based on these tweets they do reflect bad judgment.  Having said that the reaction seems about right - he deserves some criticism and to apologize and that should be the end of it.