Is it fair to judge Josh Allen based on tweets?

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I 100% think it's a team that wants him to fall and is hoping teams above them don't do as deep media scouting as they do, or are more swayed by public perception.

Agreed. And I think it says more about the team than it does about Allen. What a douchey move to sand bag the kid the night before the draft. 

There are a handful of TBD posters who now have him at number 1 on their boards!!

Allen was a kid and said some dumb stuff. I don’t know if things said in high school should hinder your ability to get drafted. It clearly feels like someone set him up though. 

At the same time his words won’t sit well in a locker room that is 80% black (or whatever the number is). Some people may be okay with it but not everyone. That’s the wrong foot to get off on. Allen has to have scared off some teams as a result. 

59 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Is it fair to make another thread because you feel your take is so important you wouldn't want it to get lost in the other threads already about this topic?

i totally agree== this tweet was just reported less then 12 hours ago and already 3 maybe more threads on the same topic. but this board is packed with people who need to start new threads about the same topic so they get some type of gratification.  

32 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I don't judge him cuz he was clearly just an immature kid but I don't think you folks would be extending the same courtesy to let's say a Lamar Jackson lol

Is this sarcasm?  Guys talks like an idiot,  tests like an idiot, hires agents like an idiot.  

Some of these tweets in question are literally from when he was 15 and a sophomore in high school.  

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are a handful of TBD posters who now have him at number 1 on their boards!!

Allen was a kid and said some dumb stuff. I don’t know if things said in high school should hinder your ability to get drafted. It clearly feels like someone set him up though. 

At the same time his words won’t sit well in a locker room that is 80% black (or whatever the number is). Some people may be okay with it but not everyone. That’s the wrong foot to get off on. Allen has to have scared off some teams as a result. 

People seemed to be OK with Richie Incognito, who said the most vile, racist words you could possibly imagine, as a full grown adult.   

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

If the Bills pick him at 12 or move up to get him, he was either hacked or at least we feel that our process will help him immediately.  If we wait and get him at 22 or later, he would fall into the category from the paragraph above.

If he is selected by NYJ, Mia or NE he is clearly a racist nazi pedophile now and forever unless we pick him up as a free agent in a few years.

This is a very true statement. 

It's likely more of a PR issue than a personal character issue. This happened when he was in high school and 15 years old. People say and do a bunch of stupid things at 15 especially if you are just talking smack with your buddies. The context matters. I obviously do not know him well enough to vouch for his character but I am sure the teams are meticulously going thru all of this to make sure they get it right. 

Young and dumb.  We all did stupid stuff when we were younger, and not under the microscopes of all microscopes of the NFL Draft.  

I will say, I do prefer the good ole days of gas-mask bong rips being released night of draft instead of old tweets.

Edited by stony

18 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If you want to pass judgment based on a few random texts/tweets, sent when he was 15/16 years old, and with absolutely no context to them - feel free. For me, it is a non-issue.

I mostly agree. My only rankle here is one of Allen's adherents' arguments for overlooking his ridiculous amount of red flags is his leadership qualities. How he was on social media at 15 or 16 barely means anything wrt how he acts as a leader now, but it does put a small dent into one of his defenses.

KZWS_MGC_normal.jpg mike freeman (@mikefreemanNFL)
Some of the things I'm hearing from around the league on racist Josh Allen tweets:
1. He was kid, give him a break.
2. He was more than old enough to know better.
3. Black player texted me saying he thinks Allen will initially have problem in locker room.
24 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If you want to pass judgment based on a few random texts/tweets, sent when he was 15/16 years old, and with absolutely no context to them - feel free. For me, it is a non-issue.

And for the NFL its not 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:
KZWS_MGC_normal.jpg mike freeman (@mikefreemanNFL)
Some of the things I'm hearing from around the league on racist Josh Allen tweets:
1. He was kid, give him a break.
2. He was more than old enough to know better.
3. Black player texted me saying he thinks Allen will initially have problem in locker room.

And for the NFL its not 

Carry on your crusade...

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He wasn't hacked, but I think it's worth bearing in mind that these tweets are from 5 years back (2013), when he was what? a Sr in HS?

I personally think people are allowed to grow, change, and mature, including HS boys.

We are seeing yet another societal failure when it comes to social media...

Just wait until we all have a chip in our head, and we can all hear each others thoughts all the time.  Everyone will be considered a racist, misogynist, yadda... 

And no, no one is allowed to grow up and mature, 3rd wave feminist will tell you all boys are born rapists etc.

• Like (+1) 1