Jags' owner buying Wembley Stadium

The Jags Owner is the owner of the Fulham Football Club, whose stadium is just a few miles south of Wembley. The sale probably has as much to do with that as it does the Jaguars.

Tottenham has played at a borrowed Wembley while their new stadium has been under construction about 10 miles to the east.

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Jags Owner is the owner of the Fulham Football Club, whose stadium is just a few miles south of Wembley. The sale probably has as much to do with that as it does the Jaguars.

Tottenham has played at a borrowed Wembley while their new stadium has been under construction about 10 miles to the east.

There are only a handful of clubs that would fill Wembley on a weekly basis.  Fulham is not one.  I can't see them moving there.  

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I agree, but the same can easily be said for the Jaguars in Jacksonville!! ?

Ha, very true.  

I'm a big EPL fan and can't see a use that doesn't involve more football (American) at some point in the future.   Interesting for sure.  

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Maybe just for a few games? 

I mean, it's possible.  Fulham has one of those classic urban English stadiums that probably can hold a max of 30,000.  

Shad might want to sell more tickets, so who knows.  I'd expect some push back from the teams supporters if this was the case.  I don;t know if this is a perfect analogy, but it would kinda be like losing a few games to Toronto every year. 

Just now, stony said:

I mean, it's possible.  Fulham has one of those classic urban English stadiums that probably can hold a max of 30,000.  

Shad might want to sell more tickets, so who knows.  I'd expect some push back from the teams supporters if this was the case.  I don;t know if this is a perfect analogy, but it would kinda be like losing a few games to Toronto every year. 

Yea that stadium is big and beautiful in wembley. I was there for the bills game. I know how those English soccer fans have pockets all over England 

22 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

No NFL team is moving to London.

If you read Peter Kings MMQB he has hinted the NFL has seriously considered expanding or adding there. The market is insanely rich with potential and fans already and I believe he said within ten years he thinks a team will be there. The biggest issue is travel and training and they have talked that for away games they would possibly setup a quasi home base in the US on the east coast to train at so they didn't have to keep going back and forth. The other issue is money for players because of the taxes in the UK and that would put them at a bit of a disadvantage.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This news has not gone down all that well over here as you might imagine..... selling our national stadium off to a foreign investor. But yep, it is another step towards the London Jags. 

The FA are seriously a joke if they sell.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

No way Fulham fans fill Wembley, it's a massive stadium.

7 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

Maybe he wants to move his Fulham FC to Wembley????

Not sure why 

It's a 90,000 seat stadium... I just don't see that happening. They are currently in the Championship League, possibly getting promoted, but they would have the largest stadium in the Premiership if Fulham FC moved in. They would never fill it, imo, Fulham is a smallish club.

2 hours ago, stony said:

Craven Cottage is the best place I've ever watched a game of any sport. Giving that atmosphere up to play in a half-empty cauldron would be a strange move.

4 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Craven Cottage is the best place I've ever watched a game of any sport. Giving that atmosphere up to play in a half-empty cauldron would be a strange move.

It is up there with the best of the old stadia.  I still love Goodison.  When commentators say a place is "rocking" it is normally a turn of phrase but when Goodison is full and Everton are right up and at it Goodison does actually rock.

9 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Very cool.  Haven't made it over for a game outside of Liverpool.  Hoping Fulham makes the jump this year.  

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When you read the statements they basically say that Khan is trying to get dibs on the market............Bills fans would be jumping off bridges if that was our team owner.

London Jag-you-were's.   

Yea that is exactly what he is doing Badol.  When the NFL is ready Khan will be so far ahead of everyone else there will be no question about establishing new teams or anything of that nature.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

If you read Peter Kings MMQB he has hinted the NFL has seriously considered expanding or adding there. The market is insanely rich with potential and fans already and I believe he said within ten years he thinks a team will be there. The biggest issue is travel and training and they have talked that for away games they would possibly setup a quasi home base in the US on the east coast to train at so they didn't have to keep going back and forth. The other issue is money for players because of the taxes in the UK and that would put them at a bit of a disadvantage.

They would have to do something like having a base in the US during extended road game slogs, and make their schedule such that they're doing 4 or more home games at a stretch, with the visiting teams either coming off or entering their bye week. It would be a logistical nightmare.

Imaging being a west coast team traveling ~6,000 miles and 8 time zones without sufficient time to adjust to playing on London time (especially if a London team were hosting a playoff game.) That's not including how to time the start of game so that it's not so early that no one in the US will watch, and not so late that the English crowds won't attend.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is up there with the best of the old stadia.  I still love Goodison.  When commentators say a place is "rocking" it is normally a turn of phrase but when Goodison is full and Everton are right up and at it Goodison does actually rock.

When they say Edgeley Park is rocking, it's because the foundations are giving way :D

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When you read the statements they basically say that Khan is trying to get dibs on the market............Bills fans would be jumping off bridges if that was our team owner.

London Jag-you-were's.   

Meh...rich American NFL owner  bought a soccer stadium.  Big deal.  Another one already owns Manchester United and it's huge soccer stadium.

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh...rich American NFL owner  bought a soccer stadium.  Big deal.  Another one already owns Manchester United and it's huge soccer stadium.

Yeah but that was Malcolm Glazer's thing and he is dead...........Khan is alive and pushing his agenda.

Heirs often lack the interest or the assets to further Dad's plans...........see the Rogers family...........Ted seemed to have a direct line on the Bills until Ralph outlived him.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah but that was Malcolm Glazer's thing and he is dead...........Khan is alive and pushing his agenda.

Heirs often lack the interest or the assets to further Dad's plans...........see the Rogers family...........Ted seemed to have a direct line on the Bills until Ralph outlived him.

Not sure what the bolded has to do with the Glazers, who very much run their sports empire as their father did--including Man U.

Also, what is Khan's stated "agenda" here?

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

They would have to do something like having a base in the US during extended road game slogs, and make their schedule such that they're doing 4 or more home games at a stretch, with the visiting teams either coming off or entering their bye week. It would be a logistical nightmare.

Imaging being a west coast team traveling ~6,000 miles and 8 time zones without sufficient time to adjust to playing on London time (especially if a London team were hosting a playoff game.) That's not including how to time the start of game so that it's not so early that no one in the US will watch, and not so late that the English crowds won't attend.

The NFL would have to adjust their schedule some for the West coast but truthfully I am not sure how much they really care with rest. A lot of teams play after London anyway and I think they would make it a forced adjustment. The other thing is I am pretty sure if a team was added or moved they will be in an AFC South or NFC South type division to cut travel across the US.

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The NFL would have to adjust their schedule some for the West coast but truthfully I am not sure how much they really care with rest. A lot of teams play after London anyway and I think they would make it a forced adjustment. The other thing is I am pretty sure if a team was added or moved they will be in an AFC South or NFC South type division to cut travel across the US.

I was more referring to playoff games, like the Wildcard round. You have the potential for a west coast team having to be 8 hours out-of-whack after finishing a 16 game season. It would be a tremendous competitive disadvantage for a team like the 49ers or Chargers to have to prepare for the game, do the travel, then play with little notice or time to adjust to an additional 5 hour difference (over and above the 3 hour difference between West and East coast games.)