We May Need to Resign Ourselves to Allen at 5

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I admittedly don’t wish for the Bills to take him BUT I would love to see him do well whatever he goes. He has really been bashed throughout the predraft process (not just here - everywhere!) more than any qb I can remember. I feel bad for him because I know he will get booed when he’s drafted. He seems like a great kid and will root for him to succeed wherever he lands (unless it’s our division)

People who boo are the lowest form of pond scum!

Just my opinion but:

Josh Allen > Patrick Mahomes

I know I will get flamed for this comment, but just my honest opinion based off tape. Maybe I am a "projection" guy like Kiper, but i see big things from Allen a few years down the road. Reminds me a lot of Ben Roethesburger.

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Traded away all those talented players and passed on Patrick Mahomes for Josh Allen. I can't believe I've waited a year for this day.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I want to make it clear that I like Allen and have been a proponent for him. But I'm not willing to invest the same amount of assets for him that I would for Rosen or Darnold. The issue is value judgment. There are qbs who when you judge them on their attributes they are off the charts. But how you play doesn't always rise to the level of one's parts. Again, I like Allen but what I would give up to get Allen is less than what I would give up to get Darnold or Rosen. That's basically my point. 

I understand. Beane showed his hand by sitting patiently in FA and then trading away Taylor. He has to be prepared to overpay. As long as they get their guy I’m not worried about the price. 

I wouldn’t feel any different if it’s Allen at 5 than if it’s Rosen/Mayfield. It’s Beane’s guy and each of them has enough talent that I could get behind the decision. 

Edited by Commonsense

39 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

No.   You draft potential in the late 2nd round at the earliest.   At #12 you get a lineman or linebacker who will be a starter for a decade and several times an all pro.

35 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Because all-pro linemen and LBs are always the key pieces to winning Super Bowls

Of course I'd prefer to stick at 12 and get him, but that's very, very unlikely to happen.  You need to feel really comfortable that your grade between Allen and the guy you can get at 12 (which may or may not be Jackson) is close enough to wait.

bandit got to you first....I just can't with this Draft anymore....dear God it's like reading War and Peace....just skip to the final page and be done. 

Allen has played one game in his career against a top 25 college team.  (2017 #18 Iowa where he had a 20 QB rating.)  He has never beaten a top 50 college team.      He is a PROJECT.  He has never proven that he can play and succeed against the top college players or NFL quality defensive backs.  There is almost NO film of him competing against such players.

If we had an established QB, AND a roster without gaping holes, we could take a gamble on him in the second round. We are not in that situation.

We also have a 2nd year coaching staff,. They need to rebuild the team and get it competitive in the next two years or they will probably be looking for new jobs.  Regardless of what we fans feel, they need to show fast progress.   They can not gamble their career on somebody without a know track record.   Remember that Allen played 2 years of college football and 2 years at a tiny college that you have never heard of.

I think if Whaley was picking Allen would be the selection. We don’t really have a big sample size on Beane, I don’t know what he is going to do. I think Rosen is more likely to be his guy if I had to guess.

19 minutes ago, Acattack15 said:

Just my opinion but:

I know I will get flamed for this comment, but just my honest opinion based off tape. Maybe I am a "projection" guy like Kiper, but i see big things from Allen a few years down the road. Reminds me a lot of Ben Roethesburger.

I think they are pretty equal prospects. 

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

We are generally in agreement; I guess I'm more willing to both (a) give up assets and (b) be wrong about the kid.

You are very discerning. The difference between us is that I am more parsimonious. :)

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Majority of whom are just clinging to completion percentage

Completion percentage is not accuracy. That's not what we mean. His inaccuracy shows up on the tape, not just the stat sheet. He doesn't even have good ball placement on simple throws. The only things he does well are throw the ball fast and shake off sacks. Everything else is a major work in progress.

It's obvious there's a huge sway between what teams see and what fans see with Allen.

Baker is never going to grow 4 inches.  Rosen is likely going to need protected with a higher risk of injury.  Allen profiles as a big rugged QB who'll be on the field and who has the arm to make plays down field like Luke / Cam / Big Ben.

Frankly for me it comes down to the price I need to pay.  If It's just #12  and two picks between 53-65, I pay that price to get any of the "Big 4".  That leaves us with pick 22 for an impact defensive player or legitimate prospect on our OL and still with picks in each round remaining.

36 minutes ago, Acattack15 said:

Just my opinion but:

Mahomes does everything you think Josh Allen does well better

11 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's obvious there's a huge sway between what teams see and what fans see with Allen.

Baker is never going to grow 4 inches.  Rosen is likely going to need protected with a higher risk of injury.  Allen profiles as a big rugged QB who'll be on the field and who has the arm to make plays down field like Luke / Cam / Big Ben.

Frankly for me it comes down to the price I need to pay.  If It's just #12  and two picks between 53-65, I pay that price to get any of the "Big 4".  That leaves us with pick 22 for an impact defensive player or legitimate prospect on our OL and still with picks in each round remaining.

Josh Allen broke his collarbone in 5 different places and that was the second time he broke it and has 5 screws in it. This is the same injury that Rodgers has been dealing with and ended Romo's career.

He's also suffered from two serious shoulder injuries but why is Rosen the one who gets called brittle?

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

Don't quite agree with the Ben comparisons (except for size/weight). If he reaches his potential he looks more like Elway to me. 

And if he is on the board at #5 I think  Elway will draft him. Denver has a good 2 year bridge QB and I don't think Paxton Lynch is the guy.

Edited by starrymessenger

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

All aboard the Allen@5 train. Chooo choo. Watch a bit of him instead of just mindlessly bashing because you want YOUR guy. He is very much an option and should be. 

We have watched him tf? 

And on another note where are these Cam Newton comparisons coming from? Allen is a really good athlete but not the freak that Cam is/was and Newton dominated the best conference in college and led his team to a National Title. Josh Allen has looked poor v Mountain West teams

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

18 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Mahomes does everything you think Josh Allen does well better

Josh Allen broke his collarbone in 5 different places and that was the second time he broke it and has 5 screws in it. This is the same injury that Rodgers has been dealing with and ended Romo's career.

He's also suffered from two serious shoulder injuries but why is Rosen the one who gets called brittle?

I would much prefer Rosen, but lets not pretend the guy gets 4-5 more hits to the head, more information comes out about head trauma in football and he hangs it up at 27 is not a real possibility.

34 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We have watched him tf? 

And on another note where are these Cam Newton comparisons coming from? Allen is a really good athlete but not the freak that Cam is/was and Newton dominated the best conference in college and led his team to a National Title. Josh Allen has looked poor v Mountain West teams

I made a reference to Newton NOT because there are striking similarities, only that I think McBeane (with their Carolina history/connection) could see elements of Allen's abilities (size, arm strength, athleticism, and escapability) that Newton possesses, to varying degrees (less arm strength but clearly more athleticism and size).

1 minute ago, Midwest1981 said:

I made a reference to Newton NOT because there are striking similarities, only that I think McBeane (with their Carolina history/connection) could see elements of Allen's abilities (size, arm strength, athleticism, and escapability) that Newton possesses, to varying degrees (less arm strength but clearly more athleticism and size).

Didn't even see your post was mainly Twitter people I'm subbing on a message board. This Draft has driven me up the wall and I can't wait for it to be over.

2 minutes ago, PastorMKC said:

What if the Broncos trade with the Browns and move up 1 spot for their 2nd Rd. pick (#40)? You could lose out on any of the top 4 ...

What if the Browns trade 1 & 4 for pick 32 and nothing else? You could lose out on any of the top 4...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

What if the Browns trade 1 & 4 for pick 32 and nothing else? You could lose out on any of the top 4...

lol Dorsey isn't crazy no team would ever make that deal. The trade I proposed was feasible yours is a joke   ... :)

Edited by PastorMKC

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Point me to anything based in reality that suggests your 'what if' is remotely plausible.

Denver may be looking for their next QB and is afraid Buffalo, Arizona, Miami etc ... may be looking to move ahead of them ...

1 minute ago, PastorMKC said:

Denver may be looking for their next QB and is afraid Buffalo, Arizona, Miami etc ... may be looking to move ahead of them ...

So your own speculation? Nothing concrete whatsoever? Not even a tweet?

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I fear the Browns will go Allen or Mayfield at #1. This would greatly screw us because then the Giants will go QB (Darnold) and then 3 of top 4 QBs would be gone before Bills even got a fair shake at any of them.

We are boxed out of top 3 picks, so we NEED a non QB to be selected at #2 overall. Think about it. Darnold going #1 actually helps us. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We have watched him tf? 

Allen isn't the runner that Cam is but he can still be a good read option guy. Beyond that, he has roughly the same physical build, same ability to shake off tackles, similar arm strength (though Allen's is better), similar issues with footwork, and similar ability to make throws with velocity without stepping into the pass.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I think the good news is this...

If the Bills are to choose one of Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen or Allen, there’s a 75% chance the Bills don’t select Allen.

So there’s that.

So the main issue with Allen is completion % 

because all I’ve been hearing is that it will NOT improve in the NFL , correct me if I’m wrong it’s somewhere between 56% - 57 % , was there ever a QB drafted with the same completion % that had success in the NFL ? 

Can someone check what was Dan Marino completion % when he got drafted ? 

Thank you !

50 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Allen isn't the runner that Cam is but he can still be a good read option guy. Beyond that, he has roughly the same physical build, same ability to shake off tackles, similar arm strength (though Allen's is better), similar issues with footwork, and similar ability to make throws with velocity without stepping into the pass.

Allen didn't do read option.

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Josh Allen ran quite a bit of RPO in 2017 at Wyoming.

Additionally, they ran zone-read style concepts routinely.

Serious question: did you watch him?  Because these are items that anyone that watched a few of his games would know beyond doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

Charles Davis and Troy Aikman were both just on "The Rich Eisen Show" within the last hour and both- when pressed- agreed that Allen has the highest bust potential, both citing accuracy concerns (not just in general- and not purely encapsulated in completion percentage- but even on throws near the line of scrimmage).

I'm not mentioning that because I particularly care how Aikman and Davis feel about it, only to repudiate the thought that only "draft twitter" or misinformed NFL fanbases believe Allen has to improve his accuracy.  Even Allen has conceded that much.

Like I've written within this thread, I've approached Allen with a fairly open mind and a result I can certainly see a pathway for success- and I can get on board with what so many like out of him.  And I actually wouldn't hate a trade up for him, even if I wouldn't like it.  But we can't pretend the accuracy concerns are totally fabricated and represent a misplaced criticism/concern.

44 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

He absolutely did. Roughly 3-5 times per game and that's not even counting RPOs and other QB Keepers that they ran.

Edited by DCOrange