Seattle postpones Kaepernick workout b/c of kneeling?

Jobot

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926234/article/seahawks-postpone-workout-for-colin-kaepernick

So I read this article that Seattle had planned to bring in Kaepernick for a workout, but they are postponing because they want to know if he will continue his kneeling during the anthem...

Regardless of where you stand on for or against what he's doing....This sounds like it will seriously bolster any case Kaepernick has about being black-balled... Not sure what they were thinking with letting this information get out.  As an employer, this would clearly be seen as discrimination based on a constitutional right.

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

Regardless of where you stand on for or against what he's doing....This sounds like it will seriously bolster any case Kaepernick has about being black-balled... Not sure what they were thinking with letting this information get out.  As an employer, this would clearly be seen as discrimination based on a constitutional right.

No it wouldn't. He is not an employee of theirs and they can choose not to employ him for any reason that they want. It doesn't violate any rights.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

No it wouldn't. He is not an employee of theirs and they can choose not to employ him for any reason that they want. It doesn't violate any rights.

Not true... you can't legally discriminate based on religion, sex, age, race, etc.... the problem is proving that this had occurred.  Seattle basically said they aren't going to work out Collin because of his stance during the anthem.

That would be like me saying I'm not going to hire any 'gun owners' to my business because I don't believe in the second amendment (this is not true, just an example)

Edited by Jobot

Just now, Jobot said:

Not true... you can't legally discriminate based on religion, sex, age, race, etc.... the problem is proving that this had occurred.  Seattle basically said they aren't going to work out Collin because of his stance during the anthem.

None of those things are being discriminated against. The Seattle Seahawks are not obligated to hire someone who's actions once they are an employee may hurt their sales or reputation. They didn't cancel because of his thoughts, they canceled because he wouldn't promise to control his actions.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Why would Seattle want to answer questions after every game about the back up QB who didnt play?  Does he want to be a justice warrior or play football?  Personally, his kneeling has no affect on me.  It does not bother me in the slightest.  However, when you start something like that and has now cut down party lines there is some accountability and consequence for your media whirlwind that follows.  Its a multi billion dollar industry that makes there living and money off advertisements and public viewership.  If those actions results in 1 fan not watching or one advertiser to drop out that has now cost the organization money.  No team wants to have a media circus following them to every city and every game because of there backup QB. 

Edited by Mat68

No issue with him protesting on his time, his dime.

Big issue with any employee protesting when they are working in an official capacity during work hours.  If this was not the NFL there would not be a debate that it is inappropriate in a business environment.

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, Mat68 said:

Why would Seattle want to answer questions after every game about the back up QB who didnt play?  Does he want to be a justice warrior or play football?  Personally, his kneeling has no affect on me.  It does not bother me in the slightest.  However, when you start something like that and has now cut down party lines there is some accountability and consequence for your media whirlwind that follows.  Its a multi billion dollar industry that makes there living and money off advertisements and public viewership.  If those actions results in 1 fan not watching or one advertiser to drop out that has not cost the organization money.  No team want to have a media circus following them to every city and every game because of there backup QB. 

You know they have Russell Wilson right?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Choosing to kneel does not make you a member of a protected class, therefore it does not provide him any special rights.

People have a pretty wide misunderstamding of how this works...basically in almost all states you can be fired for "any reason or no reason, just not an illegal reason."

Employer doesnt like your haircut. They can fire you. Doesnt like what you are wearing. They can fire you(unless its soemthing that makes you part of a special class like a religious garment). Dont like your cologne or perfume...fired.

These are extreme examples but they illustrate that you dont have a right to just keep a job because you are currently employed.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Jobot said:

That would be like me saying I'm not going to hire any 'gun owners' to my business because I don't believe in the second amendment (this is not true, just an example)

More like if someone applied to your company but said they would publicly protest during business hours about something political.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

None of those things are being discriminated against. The Seattle Seahawks are not obligated to hire someone who's actions once they are an employee may hurt their sales or reputation. They didn't cancel because of his thoughts, they canceled because he wouldn't promise to control his actions.

Okay so i guess the ongoing lawsuit of him being black-balled has no basis???  Proving the collusion has been the issue all along.  Seattle just blatantly admitted to this.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yes Kaepernic would not play a single snap.  After every game Pete Carrol's first question will be, how do you feel about Colins kneeling?  The media circus is not worth it for a player that is noting more than an insurance policy to Russell Wilson.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Choosing to kneel does not make you a member of a protected class, therefore it does not provide him any special rights.

People have a pretty wide misunderstamding of how this works...basically in almost all states you can be fired for "any reason or no reason, just not an illegal reason."

Employer doesnt like your haircut. They can fire you. Doesnt like what you are wearing. They can fire you(unless its soemthing that makes you part of a special class like a religious garment). Dont like your cologne or perfume...fired.

These are extreme examples but they illustrate that you dont have a right to just keep a job because you are currently employed.

I wrote an example up further, but would someone be legally be allowed to not hire a gun owner if he didn't believe in the second amendment?

17 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

The type of people concerned about Kaepernick's "rights" suddenly become capitalists when Youtube, Twitter, FB, etc. Start censoring people they disagree with. 

But we're to believe a football team asking it's players to do their political protesting when they're not on company time offends their deeply held principled support of free speech.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

More like if someone applied to your company but said they would publicly protest during business hours about something political.

I get this but in a league where winning should be your top concern and you have a bunch of scumbags on Nfl rosters (hi Rueben Foster on Kap’s old team), it’s a bad look to ban a guy for kneeling quietly. IMO.

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Gotta love it. You can cost your employer millions of dollars with your actions and some people will still say that it's wrong that you can't get your job back!

Awesome.

Take names off the jerseys if you don't want it both ways.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Yes Kaepernic would not play a single snap.  After every game Pete Carrol's first question will be, how do you feel about Colins kneeling?  The media circus is not worth it for a player that is noting more than an insurance policy to Russell Wilson.  

I doubt it especially in Seattle. Maybe if it was in Mississippi or Alabama.  Kaepernick barely talks now.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

First and last sentence I said back up Qb.  If Colin wants to play football ever again, he will need to sign onto a team and be a non story.  He isnt good enough to carry the kneeling controversy everywhere he goes the rest of his career.

I find it somewhat ironic that the entire reason he decided to take a knee was to try to honor in some way members of the armed services, rather than just sit.  

"Life is crazy and people are insane", my boy, Langhorne Slim

13 minutes ago, Jobot said:

None of those things apply to kneeling during the National anthem.

By the way, gun ownership is a constitutional right. Protesting during company hours is not. If someone were to choose to wave an NRA flag on the football field during a game, they could be fired for that.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

Just now, Jobot said:

Take names off the jerseys if you don't want it both ways.

You hit it into the woods off of the tee and now you just threw the ball in the water.

The players want to build their own brands, they want the names on those jersey more than anyone else. 

10 minutes ago, Jobot said:

That's a terrible analogy. A better one would be you refusing to hire someone who insists on carrying his gun to work.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I doubt it especially in Seattle. Maybe if it was in Mississippi or Alabama.  Kaepernick barely talks now.

Every game they play the camera will zoom on him kneeling.  There will be national media fueling the story the beat writers will ask Football questions the CNN ESPN and other national media outlets will ask the non football questions and will as long as half the country doesnt like it.  

Funny thing about wearing a uniform of a company.

In the airline business, pilots are not allowed to purchase alcohol or be in a bar in uniform, nor is any employee in uniform allowed to wear anything political.

Seattle is completely OK with not interviewing him in this instance.

2 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I wrote an example up further, but would someone be legally be allowed to not hire a gun owner if he didn't believe in the second amendment?

You do get that this goes beyond that and would be akin to insisting on wearing an NRA shirt and carrying that gun at work, right?

i think most are being highly dramatic in how they are reacting to the act of kneeling... people act like it’s the highest treason they have ever seen, which is silly. but it’s actions in the workplace and not simply a thought crime here. He is in his workplace, in uniform and making political statements. If your checkout person at the grocery store lectures everyone about how great Trump is, I’d venture he might get fired and struggle to get an interview too. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

You hit it into the woods off of the tee and now you just threw the ball in the water.

The players want to build their own brands, they want the names on those jersey more than anyone else. 

...And the NFL makes $0 off of their star players?? Not sure you're on the right course bud.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Besides kneeling 2 seasons ago and suing the NFL this guy has been virtually invisible.  I thought maybe last year he would take some time to promote his cause.  Literally the only thing I read about him was his girlfriend called Ray Lewis an "Uncle Tom" for posing in a picture with the Ravens owner when Lewis insisted they were getting ready to make him an offer.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Every game they play the camera will zoom on him kneeling.  There will be national media fueling the story the beat writers will ask Football questions the CNN ESPN and other national media outlets will ask the non football questions and will as long as half the country doesnt like it.  

If the president doesn’t interject it likely disappears. Remember when no franchise could possibly handle the media pressure of signing Ritchie incognito? It’s pretty much always exaggerated

You'd think they would have ironed all this out well in advance. 

"Hey Col, we were thinking of bringing you in for a tryout.  Just wondering, are you still going to kneel during the Anthem?"

"Yes."  Click.

"No."  "Come on in on X date."

:rolleyes:

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

My understanding, and this has been pretty thoroughly covered on local radio, is that the Carroll wanted Colin to have a plan about how to deal with the kneeling as opposed to just winging it. And Colin would not respond.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Okay so i guess the ongoing lawsuit of him being black-balled has no basis???  Proving the collusion has been the issue all along.  Seattle just blatantly admitted to this.

You do understand that his grievance has nothing to do with discrimination against protected classes, right? It's a case for collusion, one that has very little evidence at this point.

33 minutes ago, Jobot said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926234/article/seahawks-postpone-workout-for-colin-kaepernick

So I read this article that Seattle had planned to bring in Kaepernick for a workout, but they are postponing because they want to know if he will continue his kneeling during the anthem...

you don't have a right to pick the job you want

it can be very very unfair, just ask..... practically EVERYBODY....

it was very brave of him to basically piss away his lottery-pick life of getting millions to play sports