Two Weeks Out, What do you Currently want to happen?

Virgil

Two weeks until possibly the most exciting draft in the past 20 years for the Bills, possibly NFL.  With that, he's what we know......NOTHING.  

With that, with the loss of two of our offensive starters on a line that wasn't that great; with a missing 2/3's of our goal starting linebackers, I can't get on board with completely throwing away all of our picks for one QB.  

So, as of right now, I would be willing to trade both of our 1st's this year and our 1st next year to move up to at least 4.  I know we need a trade partner first and some things to fall our way, but if any of the big 4 are there from pick 4 on, then I'm making that trade to get one of them.  I think we need the remaining picks to fill some holes.  However, I'm not making any trades pre-draft.  I'm waiting and seeing.  If the Giants don't go QB at 2, then I'm happy and assume one will make it to the 5-8 range.   If that's the case, then we may be able to move up just trading #12 and a 2nd rounder.  

If we can’t get our guy, then offer our 2nd next year for Foles and plug all those other holes. 

Ideally, I want our QB and McDermott to get his starting MLB as I believe that's the main piece to his defense.  I'm not horribly worried about the offensive line and will settle for BPA in that category.  McDermott liked Ducasse at RG, we have Groy for LG, and we signed the starting Center from the Bengals.  It's not a world beating line, but we know it can work.  If we can upgrade in the draft our FA, then great.  But we have more pressing needs.

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2

We had a good draft with solid contributors last year and I am looking forward to seeing that again. I too am very hesitant with throwing away much of the draft for a QB, especially since I don't see a ton of difference among the top 4. I think we should let the draft come to us. 

Agreed. Great teams know how to make great lineman. They don't have to all be first round picks like Dallas. Castillo has done a lot for some later round draft picks in the past. Get the quarterback and linebacker and the rest will work itself out. 

i don't think any of the top 5 teams wants to fall back to 12, if they even want to trade at all.  move up to 7 now if that helps get a deal done.  you can't be nonchalant with the QB position.  sitting back and waiting to see how it falls is not a viable option

What do I want to happen?  Well, this is not grounded in reality but since you ask what i want to happen, I want Rosen to fall to 12 and then we also take Vander Esch at 22.  That's what I want to happen.  Then start rebuilding the OL and add to the WR unit.

My hope is that we trade up to #2, possibly by use of a 3rd team such as the Bucs, and select Rosen or Darnold. Whether all the pieces required for that to happen fall in place is an entirely different matter, but I don't expect much action until the Browns officially make their selection.

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

i don't think any of the top 5 teams wants to fall back to 12, if they even want to trade at all.  move up to 7 now if that helps get a deal done.  you can't be nonchalant with the QB position.  sitting back and waiting to see how it falls is not a viable option

I get where you're coming from, but there are plenty of examples of teams that have paid mightily for being wanton with their pursuit of a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I get where you're coming from, but there are plenty of examples of teams that have paid mightily for being wanton with their pursuit of a QB. 

who has recently?  Washington?  because they still did pretty well by having Cousins as a backup

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

Two weeks until possibly the most exciting draft in the past 20 years for the Bills, possibly NFL.  With that, he's what we know......NOTHING.  

With that, with the loss of two of our offensive starters on a line that wasn't that great; with a missing 2/3's of our goal starting linebackers, I can't get on board with completely throwing away all of our picks for one QB.  

So, as of right now, I would be willing to trade both of our 1st's this year and our 1st next year to move up to at least 4.  I know we need a trade partner first and some things to fall our way, but if any of the big 4 are there from pick 4 on, then I'm making that trade to get one of them.  I think we need the remaining picks to fill some holes.  However, I'm not making any trades pre-draft.  I'm waiting and seeing.  If the Giants don't go QB at 2, then I'm happy and assume one will make it to the 5-8 range.   If that's the case, then we may be able to move up just trading #12 and a 2nd rounder.  

Ideally, I want our QB and McDermott to get his starting MLB as I believe that's the main piece to his defense.  I'm not horribly worried about the offensive line and will settle for BPA in that category.  McDermott liked Ducasse at RG, we have Groy for LG, and we signed the starting Center from the Bengals.  It's not a world beating line, but we know it can work.  If we can upgrade in the draft our FA, then great.  But we have more pressing needs.

Virgil McBeane is the name, and I served on the Buf Bills train
'Till Pegula's cavalry came and tore up the roster again
In the winter of 2018, we were hungry, just hardly could wait.
By April the 26th, Dallas had fell, it's a time I remember, oh so well
The night they brought ol Darnold down, and the bells were ringing
The night they brought old Darnold down, and the people were singin' they went
Na na na na na na na na, na na na na hey ho let's go buffalo...
Edited by gobills1212
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For me, it's really important for these Bills to at least match the 7-9 seasons, year in and year out. It's humiliating to finish at the bottom. 7-9, 8-8...these are good, entertaining seasons, that allow me to hold my head up with pride in my Buffalo Bills. It pains me when our O-line is noticeably worse than the rest of the league's. Or when our linebacker corp is terrible. Patriot fans make fun of my team,

Finding a QB MUST take a back seat to 7-9 seasons. We can't let this team fall back to the bottom, even for one season.

Edited by OJABBA
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

who has recently?  Washington?  because they still did pretty well by having Cousins as a backup

Do you mean this guy?  

He played college football at Michigan State, where he was the Spartans' starter from 2009 to 2011, and was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Washington, Exactly. They did pretty well because their 4th round pick ended up being better than the 2nd overall who they sold the farm for. Also, they failed to win a playoff game with him even though he was playing pretty well throughout his tenure and you could definitely wonder if they had had all those other pieces that were essentially traded away, if they would have been better. 

The Jets with sanchez also come to mind, though they did do a little bit with him, he was never really a franchise QB. 

There's just not, as a whole, a great statistical correlation between first round QB's and guaranteed success. Everyone is a risk.  The reason that trading up seems so appealing these days is because the most recent example seems to have gone over pretty well for the teams (Eagles and Rams).

We trade 12 / 53 / 56 for ~6 and get one of Rosen or Darnold

We trade 22 (used on Lamar Jackson) to one of the Saints or Steelers for ~27 & ~91

We draft one of Hernandez / Daniels / Price / Wynn / Williams at ~27

One of Goedert / Gesicki / Hurst is available at 65

So we get a good young lineman to replace one of the Wood / Incognito holes and a rookie TE to grow with our QB as their security blanket.

5 more picks in the draft to use to find LBs, add another olineman, WR 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not anti-trading up, but I am also not going to pretend that anyone of these QB's is a sure thing. I further am not going to think that there really is any significant separation between any of the 4. They are all risks in one manner or another and should be treated as such. 

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

We trade 12 / 53 / 56 for ~6 and get one of Rosen or Darnold

We trade 22 (used on Lamar Jackson) to one of the Saints or Steelers for ~27 & ~91

We draft one of Hernandez / Daniels / Price / Wynn / Williams at ~27

One of Goedert / Gesicki / Hurst is available at 65

So we get a good young lineman to replace one of the Wood / Incognito holes and a rookie TE to grow with our QB as their security blanket.

5 more picks in the draft to use to find LBs, add another olineman, WR 

I think if we get a QB early and Jackson is there at 22 we will be in prime position to get something for that pick. That being said, I would rather get a first next year, or a second this year. It's a QB. People will pay if they think NE is taking him at 23. 

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Washington, Exactly. They did pretty well because their 4th round pick ended up being better than the 2nd overall who they sold the farm for. Also, they failed to win a playoff game with him even though he was playing pretty well throughout his tenure and you could definitely wonder if they had had all those other pieces that were essentially traded away, if they would have been better. 

The Jets with sanchez also come to mind, though they did do a little bit with him, he was never really a franchise QB. 

There's just not, as a whole, a great statistical correlation between first round QB's and guaranteed success. Everyone is a risk.  The reason that trading up seems so appealing these days is because the most recent example seems to have gone over pretty well for the teams (Eagles and Rams).

well by your own admission both teams still ended up doing pretty well, which is what my point was.  it doesn't hurt the team as bad as you are making it seem

All I want is for this staff to take a swing at getting one of the top 3 QBs in Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.

Everything else can be worried about later. This is the year of the QB, IMO this draft tells me who this staff is. Are they go getters and get one of the top 3 or are they waiters thinking the Whaley way of waiting for one to fall from the sky. I am willing as a fan to wait for this team to be built for the next 2 seasons  as long as they start with getting a top talent at QB this year first to build around, the wait for the sky Whaley way works once in a lifetime, to bad for him it ended early.

IMO they are go getters if not this draft is a fail and so will this staff come 2020. All about who the QB is that is drafted to lead this next era.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

For me, it's really important for these Bills to at least match the 7-9 seasons, year in and year out. It's humiliating to finish at the bottom. 7-9, 8-8...these are good, entertaining seasons, that allow me to hold my head up with pride in my Buffalo Bills. It pains me when our O-line is noticeably worse than the rest of the league's. Or when our linebacker corp is terrible. Patriot fans make fun of my team,

Finding a QB MUST take a back seat to 7-9 seasons. We can't let this team fall back to the bottom, even for one season.

I think getting the QB has to be the priority for that reason.  The Bills have had it bad at QB but not Limbo status.  By Limbo status I mean a guy that doesn't do anything and has you picking in the top 3-5 picks every year.  The Browns are the only team who understand QB Limbo.  We need to go ahead and get the QB because while we do not have franchise guys, we have guys that do just enough to keep us out of position of selecting a franchise guy.  Face it, we are in a rebuild.

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I'm not anti-trading up, but I am also not going to pretend that anyone of these QB's is a sure thing. I further am not going to think that there really is any significant separation between any of the 4. They are all risks in one manner or another and should be treated as such. 

It's all about getting a franchise worthy QB and the top 3 in this draft are projected to be franchise worthy.  Any position in the draft is a risk and I would rather them for once have a legit shot at a top talent prospect at QB over a later round projected project QB in hopes he can fix footwork, accuracy and everything else that has plagued said QB in college that made him a late round project.

I have no clue what I want to happen.... I know it involves a qb and that's about it. I've talked myself in and out of about every possible scenario involving that position at this point. 

just gonna try to sit down after work, grab a big glass of "process" to sip on, and enjoy the draft night hopefully.

it just so happens to be my birthday on the 26th so baker Mayfield jumping out of a cake for the bills first round selection would be kinda cool.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

I understand wanting to trade up we really need a franchise QB.  The problem is you have to be sure there is one there.  I just don't see any of them being a sure thing so take the D QB from Boise st at 12 and CB or OT at 22, Notre Dame WR and the Richmond QB in round 2.  

Just now, xRUSHx said:

It's all about getting a franchise worthy QB and the top 3 in this draft are projected to be franchise worthy.  Any position in the draft is a risk and I would rather them for once have a legit shot at a top talent prospect at QB over a later round projected project QB in hopes he can fix footwork, accuracy and everything else that has plagued said QB in college that made him a late round project.

I get the idea behind this, but at the same time, there is definitely care that needs to be taken before mortgaging the future. There actually is such a thing as overpaying for a potential franchise QB. 

With that said, the fact that we're walking in the door with a ton of extra assets, I am fine with us trading. I personally (and this is just my opinion) think that if we do not leave this draft with a pick in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, that we have overpaid to get the QB. Just because the market is hot does not mean these guys are worth more. 

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I get the idea behind this, but at the same time, there is definitely care that needs to be taken before mortgaging the future. There actually is such a thing as overpaying for a potential franchise QB. 

With that said, the fact that we're walking in the door with a ton of extra assets, I am fine with us trading. I personally (and this is just my opinion) think that if we do not leave this draft with a pick in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, that we have overpaid to get the QB. Just because the market is hot does not mean these guys are worth more. 

It's a QB driven league so the market is not going to stop being aggessive at spending for a QB IMO.

I do not see a mortgage of the future by trading away this year's draft picks. We will have draft picks left this year and will get more next year, we also will have plenty of money to spend next season on FAs. A QB needs some time to learn and grow, a QB also needs to find the guys that work best with him. Sometimes a later round player will play incredible with one QB but horrible with another. Build around a QB first iMO because the QB can pick who he wants as his guys. That friendship will create a bond and will make a better unit IMO if the leader is the one to pick who is here for years to come. IMO a top talented QB picking his unit over a less talented QB will create a scoring machine over a group just looking to make a paycheck and play good enough to stick around over 3 years. Also a top talented QB will have other players from around the league and draft wanting to play with said top QB over players not wanting to come here and play with a Tuel.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

The Broncos don't draft a qb allowing the Bills to get one between 6-10 and not have to trade 22.  I want Rosen or Mayfield.

With QB secured, trade 22 for a first next year.

Edited by section122