Will the 2018 Bills be better then the 2017 Bills???

Scorp83

I ask this cause I want to get a sense on where the fanbase is at right now? Has the plan change for you??? ("Staying competitive while building for the future")

It seems like every move McBeane tries to make, we end up going in reverse. They trade Darby & Sammy... both Gaines & Matthews gets hurt, they trade Dareus & then trade for Benjamin, KB gets hurts & the run game suffers, Tyrod has a bad game, gets bench & Peterman comes in, throws 5 picks. We make the playoffs by the skin of our teeth after that decision, all seems forgiven & McDermott knee jerk reaction to Tyrod's bad game doesn't come back to haunt him...Cool

Fast forward to the off-season, we trade Tyrod without a sure fire plan, & we're stuck with McCarron on a minimum deal, not even legit backup money. We sign Star L...& Kyle comes back...cool! Wood retires, Then we don't bring Preston back (maybe cause of scheme fit). We trade Cordy to the Bengals & move up to 12...Great! Then the Jets move up to 3, & put a stink our strategic  gameplan to trade up & draft a top QB...because regardless of what the Bills do...the Jets will have a guy at QB also for possibly the next 10-15 yrs Ughhh. We sign Russell Bodine to patch up the lost of Wood...we figure Bodine should do well lining up next to Richie...who now retires along with Wood. 

As of right now we have No QB, No LB's, outside of KB no legit WR's, No O-line, & we need CB, TE & RB depth. Last year's team finish better then expected, & it felt like we were only a QB & WR away from improving.

I guess MY feeling is, it's hard to remain confident in 2018, with NO QB, our division all wanting a QB, & our roster not looking no where close to last year's...with Free Agency pretty much over with, & only the draft to improve this team. How do we maintain McDermott & Beane plan of "Staying competitive while building for the future"???

Edited by Scorp83
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I ask this cause I want to get a sense on where the fanbase is at right now? Has the plan change for you??? ("Staying competitive while building for the future")

It seems like every move McBeane tries to make, we end up going in reverse. They trade Darby & Sammy... both Gaines & Matthews gets hurt, they trade Dareus & then trade for Benjamin, KB gets hurts & the run game suffers, Tyrod has a bad game, gets bench & Peterman comes in, throws 5 picks. We make the playoffs by the skin of our teeth after that decision, all seems forgiven & McDermott knee jerk reaction to Tyrod's bad game doesn't come back to haunt him...Cool

Fast forward to the off-season, we trade Tyrod without a sure fire plan, & we're stuck with McCarron on a minimum deal, not even legit backup money. We sign Star L...& Kyle comes back...cool! Wood retires, Then we don't bring Preston back (maybe cause of scheme fit). We trade Cordy to the Bengals & move up to 12...Great! Then the Jets move up to 3, & put a stink our strategic  gameplan to trade up & draft a top QB...because regardless of what the Bills do...the Jets will have a guy at QB also for possibly the next 10-15 yrs Ughhh. We sign Russell Bodine to patch up the lost of Wood...we figure Bodine should do well lining up next to Richie...who now retires along with Wood. 

As of right now we have No QB, No LB's, outside of KB no legit WR's, No O-line, & we need CB, TE & RB depth. Last year's team finish better then expected, & it felt like we were only a QB & WR away from improving.

I guess MY feeling is, it's hard to remain confident in 2018, with NO QB, our division all wanting a QB, & our roster not looking no where close to last year's...with Free Agency pretty much over with, & only the draft to improve this team. How do we maintain McDermott & Beane plan of "Staying competitive while building for the future"???

Yes, I know this is the time for breaking each others' heads open and feasting on the goo inside, but methinks you might be exaggerating a bit here.  First off, a lot of these "two steps forward, three steps back" moves happened last year, before we made it to the playoffs. I'm not sure how you're spinning the fact that we're paying McCarron very little as a bad thing--that was actually a savvy move to get a solid backup with starter potential after everyone else got one. And, if you've been around here regularly, you might have heard from the occasional thread about it that there's more than one major QB prospect out there and the Jets move does not completely shut them out (nor ensure the Jets pick a guy who will be there any longer than our guy--see 1983 draft). We hardly have zero LBs. Milano played quite well in his rookie season, Humber's not great, but he played decently last year, Lorax was near back to 2016 form at the end of the season. We could use more depth and a better middle linebacker, but we don't have "No LB's." As for WR, it's bad, but Zay could still come on, Holmes had his moments. O-line: again not "No O-line"...Dawkins looked like he might be on his way to being a top-level left tackle. O-Line is a question mark. Our CB depth is not discernibly worse than last year and there's ample time to get Leonard Johnson/Shareece Wright level players (including Leonard Johnson himself). I don't really get this supposed need for "TE & RB depth" Ivory is better than Tolbert. Travaris Cadet looked good when he played. Nick O'Leary and Logan Thomas had flashes of greatness and are both very early in their career.

As you said, last year's team finish(sic) better than expected, and the likely reason for that was coaching. (1) there's every reason to believe that they could surprise again and (2) we haven't even had the draft yet, free agency is not completely done, and there's June 1st cuts. Let's all bring it down a notch. Incognito retiring suddenly sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

• Like (+1) 2

There's definitely a very legitimate chance that we are worse this year, but i think that was part of the plan.  We free up a ton of cap space next year and i expect us to be a playoff team again in 2019-2020

23 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Yes, I know this is the time for breaking each others' heads open and feasting on the goo inside, but methinks you might be exaggerating a bit here.  First off, a lot of these "two steps forward, three steps back" moves happened last year, before we made it to the playoffs. I'm not sure how you're spinning the fact that we're paying McCarron very little as a bad thing--that was actually a savvy move to get a solid backup with starter potential after everyone else got one. And, if you've been around here regularly, you might have heard from the occasional thread about it that there's more than one major QB prospect out there and the Jets move does not completely shut them out (nor ensure the Jets pick a guy who will be there any longer than our guy--see 1983 draft). We hardly have zero LBs. Milano played quite well in his rookie season, Humber's not great, but he played decently last year, Lorax was near back to 2016 form at the end of the season. We could use more depth and a better middle linebacker, but we don't have "No LB's." As for WR, it's bad, but Zay could still come on, Holmes had his moments. O-line: again not "No O-line"...Dawkins looked like he might be on his way to being a top-level left tackle. O-Line is a question mark. Our CB depth is not discernibly worse than last year and there's ample time to get Leonard Johnson/Shareece Wright level players (including Leonard Johnson himself). I don't really get this supposed need for "TE & RB depth" Ivory is better than Tolbert. Travaris Cadet looked good when he played. Nick O'Leary and Logan Thomas had flashes of greatness and are both very early in their career.

As you said, last year's team finish(sic) better than expected, and the likely reason for that was coaching. (1) there's every reason to believe that they could surprise again and (2) we haven't even had the draft yet, free agency is not completely done, and there's June 1st cuts. Let's all bring it down a notch. Incognito retiring suddenly sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

I wasn't saying signing McCarron was a bad move but in no way does his contract shows savviness. It says...he's just a guy.  Potential starter...is a reach.

Wasn't saying this either, I was stating the point that the Jets could have a stud QB along with us. You can't be too closed minded... the Jets could hit on a QB just as much as the Bills. 

Milano & Humber... please. Your reaching & we're still in the off-season... which was my point too... right now, those 2 are not legit answers. Milano did play well but not to justify getting better. As of now, we have no legit starting LB's... Alexander is running from father time too.

To put so much stock in the draft, with this many holes is concerning to me. Yes, I believe in drafting more then signing Free Agents... what I don't believe in is trading away talent without a plan & that's what we've done. You don't quit your job until you have another one lined up. I get your optimism... I love that!

But we would have to almost hit on every pick to probably be better then last year

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, The Drought said:

Are we defining better by record or by whether they have their QB .

Oh come on!! It’s defined by record, and ALWAYS will be. Nobody wants a QB more than me but don’t kid yourself. It is NOT the answer to everything. It just isn’t.

• Like (+1) 1

The record will likely be worse IMO. The future is wide open. I can't remember the last time it felt like the coach/GM had a plan. These guys obviously have a plan. Will it work is another story.

• Like (+1) 1

No. They will finish with a worse record because they will be starting a rookie QB.

BUT....you sometimes have to take a step back to make a leap forward.  Manning, Kelly, Aikman, and more recently Goff and Wentz...all finished their first seasons with losing records. But then year two of their careers happened, and none of their teams cared much about that first year.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, HappyDays said:

I think it's likely we are worse which is why I'm against trading our 2019 1st.

Agreed - I have a difficult time thinking that they might trade 12, 22, 53, 65 and next year's first for any of these QBs.  Sure, I'd like a shiny new QB in the draft for hope, but I am thinking that given the price to move up for one of the "big 4" would preclude the ability to build a competitive roster.  

I think there really are 3 QBs that are very good prospects: Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.

Beyond that, I would not trade any picks to move up for Allen or Jackson.  I'm not very confident that either of them is better than Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lauletta or Mike White.

If they trade up for a QB, 2018 will need to be a red-shirt year for the rookie QB, otherwise he could easily lose confidence or get hurt in a significant way behind this OL.

• Like (+1) 4

I could easily see us having double digit losses this year. Just way too many holes to fill. OL, LB, WR along with a big ? at QB.  Multiple holes on the OL.  After this season KW will be done and Shady will be another year older. So we’ll need a replacement in both of those positions as well. At this point, call me greedy but I’d rather move up to the 6-7 spot and keep the majority of my picks. With the current roster, not sure it’s wise to start any rookie QB this year. Keeping next years #1 is a must.

• Like (+1) 2

They traded a QB who took them to the playoffs, fired the OC, and lost two starters on the o-line. I think the defense will be good, but I expect the offense to suck. 8-8 is likely their ceiling. Hopefully they show improvement by the end of the year, but September and October are going to be rough. You can't expect so many new guys to gel right away, irregardless of who they draft. And even if they get a top QB prospect, they would be insane to play him right away, especially since they will have at least two rookies on the OL.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think it's likely we are worse which is why I'm against trading our 2019 1st.

YES! That's another thing I meant to mention! Great point!

38 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

They traded a QB who took them to the playoffs, fired the OC, and lost two starters on the o-line. I think the defense will be good, but I expect the offense to suck. 8-8 is likely their ceiling. Hopefully they show improvement by the end of the year, but September and October are going to be rough. You can't expect so many new guys to gel right away, irregardless of who they draft. And even if they get a top QB prospect, they would be insane to play him right away, especially since they will have at least two rookies on the OL.

& that's my point. It's crazy to put alot of stock in the draft to have a better season then last. Again, we would have to hit on every pick...which is unlikely given the uncertainty of the draft

Who knows... IF they land one of the big 4 I dont think they need to be. As I mentioned in another thread, one of the circumstances of this being a unique year is that the fan base seems more willing to provide a 'pass' in the name of future success and progress. Other things include a strong qb draft class, a ton of ammo, and dead cap/future cap room. If it is a step back to make a step forward - Bills fans seem smart enough to realize and accept this (in general of course) and can deal with a year of learning with out being idiots and calling for heads to roll. Maybe last year helped prepare them to a degree and who knows - maybe they can have their cake and eat it too again this year. But, if a step back is necessary for future winning I'd hope last year gave this duo a bit more rope. Years from now who knows what they do with said rope but in the mean time last year seems to have served them well into fans buying in and understanding they are trying to build a winner which sometimes means addition by subtraction. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My belief is that we played above our talent level last year and now have unproven QB to boot. We'll get a few wins, but not very many and I'm OK with that. Even with all of our draft picks we are still a couple offseasons away. Beane has made some good moves and at least 1 questionable move in overpaying Lotulelei. If he has a good draft, gets the righr QB and spends next year's cap space wisely, we could be contenders in 2019.

2 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Who knows... IF they land one of the big 4 I dont think they need to be. As I mentioned in another thread, one of the circumstances of this being a unique year is that the fan base seems more willing to provide a 'pass' in the name of future success and progress. Other things include a strong qb draft class, a ton of ammo, and dead cap/future cap room. If it is a step back to make a step forward - Bills fans seem smart enough to realize and accept this (in general of course) and can deal with a year of learning with out being idiots and calling for heads to roll. Maybe last year helped prepare them to a degree and who knows - maybe they can have their cake and eat it too again this year. But, if a step back is necessary for future winning I'd hope last year gave this duo a bit more rope. Years from now who knows what they do with said rope but in the mean time last year seems to have served them well into fans buying in and understanding they are trying to build a winner which sometimes means addition by subtraction. 

LOL!  You actually believe that? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed - I have a difficult time thinking that they might trade 12, 22, 53, 65 and next year's first for any of these QBs.  Sure, I'd like a shiny new QB in the draft for hope, but I am thinking that given the price to move up for one of the "big 4" would preclude the ability to build a competitive roster.  

I think there really are 3 QBs that are very good prospects: Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.

Beyond that, I would not trade any picks to move up for Allen or Jackson.  I'm not very confident that either of them is better than Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lauletta or Mike White.

If they trade up for a QB, 2018 will need to be a red-shirt year for the rookie QB, otherwise he could easily lose confidence or get hurt in a significant way behind this OL.

Dead on about starting a rookie QB behind our OL. McCarron could be in for a long season. Richie and Cordy were our 2 best OL by far and I don't expect all 5 OL positions to be filled by capable starters even if Dawkins makes big strides in his 2nd season. Besides, who is he going to throw to? Our WR's were dead last in gaining separation last year according to PFF.

3 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Our LB corps and OL don't suck? Sorry to break it to you, but they do. Also, Humber was AWFUL last year and Dawkins is nowhere near a "top" LT yet. The rest of the OL consists of backup caliber players. Lorenzo will probably lose his startind job if they bet a replacement in rd 4 or sooner. Milano, at least made progress and still may have upside, but still has along way to go.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate

I’m expecting 2018 to be the what I thought 17 would be..... bad. 

Usually the more we get through the offseason and the more I think about it. The more I always talk myself into a good year. I’m feeling the exact opposite for this offseason. The more it goes along and the more I reflect on it the worse I feel about 2018. 

Oh well. Got a playoff bid in there. Now grab our qb. Take the same lumps we’ve been used to for almost 20 years now and I still think the future is bright. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

Probably not. The Bills managed a 9-7 record withTyrod ( who had several bad games btw, including the WC ) , and a dearth of talent on offense. Usually that record isn't good enough for a playoff berth in the AFC , but the stars aligned. The FO has greater goals than Taylor is capable of achieving, so hence the trade. It's likelybthe team takes a few steps back before they take another one forward. That's what you have to do to get to the top of the heap. 

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Do you not? 

Seriously, though... there are some straight up nut balls on here, but that isnt indicative of the fan base as a whole - nor should it be. The internet is a weird place. For some people, THIS is essentially their social interaction. We remember the crazy posts because they are off the wall and some even poorly informed BUT message boards attract that. They also attract some excellent conversation and debates. I dog the folks who dont want to trade up, or even worse trade back - but at the very least I respect them in the sense MOST of them have reasoning for feeling or thinking that way EVEN if it's only sound and sensible to them and are able to convey it in a way that can be considered sensible.

If you are out and about and engage in conversation of course you will find some stinkers... but for the most part I find Buffalo sports fans to be very passionate and from that comes intelligent conversation. Disagreements dont have to be solved, and disagreements dont always equal stupidity... just differing POV. 

So yes, as a whole I'd argue Buffalo sports fans are mostly passionate and well informed. Trading up or standing pat is small picture stuff in the big picture anyway. Right now its front and center, but just because a few idiots on here tend to be persistent isnt the full picture. There aren't a ton of sports cities that have all day sports programming on the radio for example. That isnt the case of no one pays attention and no one cares. There is a market for it, and it isnt because everyone is dumb and needs to be informed.... This board is sssssooooooo much better and sssooo much more utilized and traveled than most of the opponents teams sites. By and large it's because people as fans care, want to be involved, and maybe they even learn something. Naturally there will be something positive to come from it. 

Again, the stupid posts stick out but even those eventually turn into a decent thought provoking conversation or at least get pretty funny before they die their natural death. That isnt the case in other places and it's just kinda sad. Like when the Bills traded Dareus. Jags fans seriously were posting and agreeing with statements like ' who cares if he is expensive, it's only the salary cap'. Seriously? Even if someone said that here, there wouldn't be pages of people agreeing with it...

Edited by gobills1212

5 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

So you sell this year's draft and next years to draft a QB who might be a bust 50% of the time.  He makes everyone look so good that 4th string o-linemen become pro bowlers and your next 3 years of 9 top 3 round picks all become pro-bowlers.   2 guys signed as long-snappers as UFA become the same guys as Paup, Biscuit and Talley.  THAT IS THE PLAN. ...... geesh.

3 hours ago, KHAN said:

The record will likely be worse IMO. The future is wide open. I can't remember the last time it felt like the coach/GM had a plan. These guys obviously have a plan. Will it work is another story.

You know,, I see a LOT of  guys who were decent starters being shown the door with no effort to keep them around for a while.  Some guys who were aging but still good starters deciding they have had enough.   No trouble making these trades or releasing them to get snatched up by the pasties and others.  Hogan is a starting WR for the SB runner up. Hmmmmmmm what is not adding up here?  How many ex-Bills were in the playoffs or the SB ?  Is the plan to tank for 3 years?   It is late at night. I just got back from a blown 1-2 Orioles loss on a cold night.  Is darkness creeping in?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

10 hours ago, KHAN said:

KHAN!!

Another former BB Msg board member right here! ?

18 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Hey... I'm optimistic too on that post ?

18 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m expecting 2018 to be the what I thought 17 would be..... bad. 

Usually the more we get through the offseason and the more I think about it. The more I always talk myself into a good year. I’m feeling the exact opposite for this offseason. The more it goes along and the more I reflect on it the worse I feel about 2018. 

Oh well. Got a playoff bid in there. Now grab our qb. Take the same lumps we’ve been used to for almost 20 years now and I still think the future is bright. 

Understood. See I was a little more optimistic about this season. Now with all these holes... we minds well draft a QB, take the step back & fill our holes next year

Edited by Scorp83
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Or this board will be calling for Sean and McBean's head before September is out

I suspect this year we feel the effects of the roster turnover that the FO has been making in order to mold us into their vision. Couple steps back record-wise. But I think we will be in a good position moving into 2019 with a QB in place to build around, a top 16 pick in the draft, and a lot of cap space to spend on filling out our roster with some of the pieces we are missing.

• Like (+1) 1

We were the beneficiary of some timely turnovers last year and the defense capitalized on them. We basically have the same defense outside of Preston Brown and the oft injured EJ Gaines. Gaines was replaced with Vontae Davis, who has the track record of being one of the better CB's in the league if healthy. Now it comes down to the LB's on that side of the ball. You will see at least 2 brought in and one of those will be our starting MLB in rounds 1 or 2 of the draft. 

On offense it's likely a rookie QB and a rookie or two on the OL. Coaching will be the key here. There will obviously be a learning curve, but the Castillo, Culley, and Daboll are going to have to earn their $$$. If our coaches do their jobs and the QB settles within the offense quickly we will exceed expectations. Right now I see us as a 7 win team. With some good fortune injury wise and catching a break here or there we could win 9 or 10. With some bad fortune injury wise and rookies starting in 4 or 5 spots we could only win 4. I hope for the best, but understand it could be worse. 

Edited by H2o

14 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

i'm more confident this year.  a.j. upgrades the qb spot.  as far as p. brown, he was a fa and wanted to play for his hometown team.

this year we will get more pressure and sacks up front and as i posted in another thread...we were facing a retool of the oline, so i think we are better off facing it this year rather than next.

i'm confident they will draft well and take care of the lbs and add some speed to the wr corp. i predict we will at least command a wc and i think we finally have a qb that can go toe to toe with ne and maybe get us a w against them.

14 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

The only way they'll be better is if they draft Lamar Jackson <very thick sarcasm>

• Haha (+1) 1

Definitely a worse record than last season.  Two reasons:

1) Last season’s Bills team overachieved/got lucky (were not as good as their record indicated)

2) There’s less talent on this season’s roster

This season is about building for the future - and that starts with finding our QB. 

12 hours ago, Logic said:

No. They will fini

12 hours ago, Logic said:

No. They will finish with a worse record because they will be starting a rookie QB

i don't think we will see our draft pick start this year. i think a.j. will do good so we can afford to wait til 2019 for the qb competiton or trade.

17 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm more confident this year.  a.j. upgrades the qb spot.  as far as p. brown, he was a fa and wanted to play for his hometown team.

this year we will get more pressure and sacks up front and as i posted in another thread...we were facing a retool of the oline, so i think we are better off facing it this year rather than next.

i'm confident they will draft well and take care of the lbs and add some speed to the wr corp. i predict we will at least command a wc and i think we finally have a qb that can go toe to toe with ne and maybe get us a w against them.

I don't think A.J will be an upgrade, especially if the Oline is worse. He's just a game manager, and he's getting paid like one.The QB play is going to drop off.

Edited by MURPHD6