ESPN: Josh Rosen isn’t going to just “shut up and throw” and has big plans for his NFL career

That's just not me," Josh Rosen says of the designer labels on offer for his recent photo shoot for this story. Nah, the ex-UCLA signal-caller and projected first-round pick in the 2018 NFL draft is perfectly fine, thank you very much, with his standard wardrobe of tee, jeans and maltreated Chucks. "I'm just a regular dude," Rosen says several times at an LA studio, seemingly forgetting (or remembering all too well?) that roughly half of draft-loving America feels he's a future franchise QB, while the other half fears he's a crap-stirring, system-disrupting locker room poison pill.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

He is a Idiot. This guy will flame out, why not come in humble and listen and learn. Guys like this never work out. Talk about putting pressure on yourself. Even if you believe you will win more championships then Brady you should never say it out loud. We’re is Troy Vincent when you need him. You think the Vets like that kind of talk. This guy will end up like Ryan Leaf, lots of talk and no brains. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

He is a Idiot. This guy will flame out, why not  come in humble and listen and learn. Guys like this never work out. Talk about putting pressure on your self. Even if you believe you will win more more championships then Brady you should never say it out loud. We’re is Troy Vincent when you need him. You think the Vets like that kind of talk. This guy will end up like Ryan Leaf, lots of talk and no brains. 

Hmmm? ;)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 10

5 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Just calling it like I read and here it. I mean really why say that kind of crap. 

He is AN idiot. You simply must add the n and make it "an" when the next word begins with a vowel. He is a idiot is not proper.

Then there is the whole hear here thing

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Just calling it like I read and here it. I mean really why say that kind of crap. 

5 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

He is a Idiot. This guy will flame out, why not come in humble and listen and learn. Guys like this never work out. Talk about putting pressure on yourself. Even if you believe you will win more championships then Brady you should never say it out loud. We’re is Troy Vincent when you need him. You think the Vets like that kind of talk. This guy will end up like Ryan Leaf, lots of talk and no brains. 

"I'm the best decision this franchise ever made"

Tom Brady in 2000.  Before his first training camp.  Sometime people just know they're better. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think some people don’t like him because at age 21, he is more mature than they will even been.  “You won’t successfully get people to stop caring about other people.”  Omg, Josh shut up and throw!!! What a jerk!!!

he has been my qb 1 for a long time and this only cements it.  I think this whole trust the process stuff has been completely overrated.  But if they end up with this guy, I’d fully believe. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

The verb hear means to perceive sound or to listen. Hear also means to receive a message or gain information. The past form of hear is heard. The adverb heremeans at, in, or toward a place or a particular point in a process

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Humility and greatness rarely go together, especially at the start. I wouldn’t subtract too many points from a 20 year old that wants to be the best, as long as the work and drive back it up

• Like (+1) 2

He has a confident personality, I like it. 

Would you prefer someone to walk the line and say they look forward to learning the system, just doing what the coaches ask,  helping AJ McCarron

Man, all of these QBs are such great prospects.  I'll take any of the big 4! 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

The difference between Rosen and Losman is Losman was being arrogant to his own teammates.

Rosen is just setting the bar high for himself.

Jim Kelly was definitely humble when he was drafted by the Bills.  "Would you rather be in Houston or Buffalo...I'll leave it at that" - Jim Kelly.

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Humility and greatness rarely go together, especially at the start. I wouldn’t subtract too many points from a 20 year old that wants to be the best, as long as the work and drive back it up

He doesn't like him because of his politics.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think some people don’t like him because at age 21, he is more mature than they will even been.  “You won’t successfully get people to stop caring about other people.”  Omg, Josh shut up and throw!!! What a jerk!!!

he has been my qb 1 for a long time and this only cements it.  I think this whole trust the process stuff has been completely overrated.  But if they end up with this guy, I’d fully believe. 

I think some on this forum have gone crazy with this process stuff. They act like McBeane doesn't think talent matters. 

If player A is a 9 talent and a 3 character and player B is an 8 talent and 9 character, they are likely taking the player B.

If Player A is a 3 talent and a 10 character and player B is a 10 talent and a 5 charatcer, they are taking player B.

3 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

But does he love the game though????

Lol! kind of puts an end to the chatter about him going to work in finance within 4 years.

• Like (+1) 1

this kid is next level.  he's 21 yrs old and he's more mature than I am.  he is very conscientious and self aware.  that is something you usually don't learn until much later in life.  when i was 21 it was all about me.  he is very advanced for his age to do the type of critical thinking he is doing.  nothing wrong with trying to understand the world and where you can fit in.  isn't that why we are here?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The difference between Rosen and Losman is Losman was being arrogant to his own teammates.

Rosen is just setting the bar high for himself.

Jim Kelly was definitely humble when he was drafted by the Bills.  "Would you rather be in Houston or Buffalo...I'll leave it at that" - Jim Kelly.

He doesn't like him because of his politics.

B.B.BBB but he didn't vote!

He also didn't deny his dislike of Rosens' political views.

I don’t think you can trade up for a guy like this.  I’ll give him credit for honesty, but how can you trust this guy to battle through growing pains if he struggles or stay grounded if he takes NFL by storm.  I’d take him at 12 or if it only costs a 3rd to move up a couple spots.  He did nothing but add fuel to the fire in that interview that football isn’t that high on the priority list but rather a platform for his other interests.  Brady might be a pretty boy, but there’s no doubting first and foremost the guy loves football and winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

this kid is next level.  he's 21 yrs old and he's more mature than I am.  he is very conscientious and self aware.  that is something you usually don't learn until much later in life.  when i was 21 it was all about me.  he is very advanced for his age to do the type of critical thinking he is doing.  nothing wrong with trying to understand the world and where you can fit in.  isn't that why we are here?

I agree he's more mature than you!:D

Just kidding

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t think you can trade up for a guy like this.  I’ll give him credit for honesty, but how can you trust this guy to battle through growing pains if he struggles or stay grounded if he takes NFL by storm.  I’d take him at 12 or if it only costs a 3rd to move up a couple spots.  He did nothing but add fuel to the fire in that interview that football isn’t that high on the priority list but rather a platform for his other interests.  Brady might be a pretty boy, but there’s no doubting first and foremost the guy loves football and winning. 

I mean, he did say he wanted to win more rings than Brady.  So, there's that.

Edited by stony

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

Lol! kind of puts an end to the chatter about him going to work in finance within 4 years.

He's a fiery dude. If people didn't want to see that, they were choosing not to.

The question marks over his health are legitimate and he might have options away from the game if they prove to be too much. I just think his tolerance for pain might be a little higher than people would give him credit for.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I'm with you. Not giving up the bank to take him but maybe up few spots. It'll be interesting to see where he goes because I think it could be anywhere from 3-12.  Something tells me he's the fourth off the board and that could mean he could end up around 8-12. Tough to know at thus point.

20 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

But does he love the game though????

Of all the dumb knocks against him, this is the dumbest and probably made by people who have never played a down of football in their life.  Football practice, offseason workouts are kinda terrible.  Grown men screaming at you sucks.  

Football is is the last sport a spoiled, rich kid would play.  

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imagine having a QB like this:

Tyrod had his strengths but this is the exact opposite of his attitude.

46 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

3 guys in a single draft came out exactly like this and all are in the HOF.

Horrible take....

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm with you. Not giving up the bank to take him but maybe up few spots. It'll be interesting to see where he goes because I think it could be anywhere from 3-12.  Something tells me he's the fourth off the board and that could mean he could end up around 8-12. Tough to know at thus point.

Yes, it is super risky to pay assets to trade up for a QB that history shows is likely a bust anyway.  But if Bills wait, and play it "smart", they may be out of QB options by 12, and then all the fans and writers and media KILL them for that.  

So doing it "right" gets you criticism.  Trading up gets you criticism.  There's no option that someone won't have a defensible critique of.

On this whole "football first" thing, I feel this is all American pseudo patriotic capitalist nonsense.  Does ANYONE here like their job, all the time, regardless of conditions?

Answer this question honestly.  Do you like your job? 

Is it fair to expect a professional football player, one who is under constant scrutiny, constant derision, let alone the massive physical and mental beating he's gonna undertake as the starting QB of the Buffalo Bills, you really think he's gonna be jazzed about coming to work every day, all the time?

At least Ryan O'Reilly admitted the truth, that losing sucks, and it beats you down.  He's a human person.  

I don't need Josh Rosen to LIKE being a QB.  I don't care at all.  I really just need him to be good.  Whether you may think there has to be a link between loving the craft and succeeding in the craft is arguable.  I just choose to reject that argument.  Plenty of people are great at what they hate doing.

It's this sad, American capitalist argument, that we all should just LOVE our jobs, and love work because that's what Americans do.  I don't live to work.  I work to live.  Furthermore, most evidence says we work too much, and earn too little.

If Josh Rosen wants to play football to earn enough money to pursue his actual passions and interests, good for him.  That's what life's about.  No one criticizes the doctor who loves boating, and travel.  Or the lawyer who puts his money and time into charitable causes.  (these are just made up examples).  That a public figure, especially a guy that plays a dumb game for a loving, MUST always be job first, all the time, without consequence, is completely unreasonable.  

Edited by Peevo
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

i don't know. I think some people are conditioned not to think beyond what the guy can do for the football team, because what they really care about is the performance of the football team. anything that can impact that, or take away from the goal, or impede progress is naturally a matter of debate. 

Additionally, some people take it personally when a player voices an opinion that conflicts with theirs.  it's complicated, like spending your money on tickets to see an artist who politics for a candidate you find despicable.  Or like arguing with your best friend who disagrees with you about whatever the political flavor of the day is. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

On the other hand, JR putting it out there works for everyone if he delivers, and he looks like a slapdick numbnut if he washes out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Of all the dumb knocks against him, this is the dumbest and probably made by people who have never played a down of football in their life.  Football practice, offseason workouts are kinda terrible.  Grown men screaming at you sucks. 

Full disclosure - I've never played a down of football in my life. I had a tryout as a punter for my local team if that counts :lol:

I've been there in another sport though. As a naturally lazy slob, staying in shape all year round was torture. Rehab from injuries was a fate worse than death. Maybe you have to be a special breed of crazy to do that for 10-12 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Peevo said:

Yes, it is super risky to pay assets to trade up for a QB that history shows is likely a bust anyway.  But if Bills wait, and play it "smart", they may be out of QB options by 12, and then all the fans and writers and media KILL them for that.  

So doing it "right" gets you criticism.  Trading up gets you criticism.  There's no option that someone won't have a defensible critique of.

On this whole "football first" thing, I feel this is all American pseudo patriotic capitalist nonsense.  Does ANYONE here like their job, all the time, regardless of conditions?

Answer this question honestly.  Do you like your job? 

Is it fair to expect a professional football player, one who is under constant scrutiny, constant derision, let alone the massive physical and mental beating he's gonna undertake as the starting QB of the Buffalo Bills, you really think he's gonna be jazzed about coming to work every day, all the time?

At least Ryan O'Reilly admitted the truth, that losing sucks, and it beats you down.  He's a human person.  

I don't need Josh Rosen to LIKE being a QB.  I don't care at all.  I really just need him to be good.  Whether you may think there has to be a link between loving the craft and succeeding in the craft is arguable.  I just choose to reject that argument.  Plenty of people are great at what they hate doing.

It's this sad, American capitalist argument, that we all should just LOVE our jobs, and love work because that's what Americans do.  I don't live to work.  I work to live.  Furthermore, most evidence says we work too much, and earn too little.

If Josh Rosen wants to play football to earn enough money to pursue his actual passions and interests, good for him.  That's what life's about.  No one criticizes the doctor who loves boating, and travel.  Or the lawyer who puts his money and time into charitable causes.  (these are just made up examples).  That a public figure, especially a guy that plays a dumb game for a loving, MUST always be job first, all the time, without consequence, is completely unreasonable.  

It is completely reasonable when that job requires risking your physical and potentially mental health every time you step on the field and when his first contract will probably guarantee him $20m.  Unless he wins multiple Super Bowls early in his career, I’d put the over/under on the years Rosen plays before he retires at 6 years.  He seems like a guy I’d love to have a beer with, but what’s his motivation to keep playing after his 1st, 2nd, 3rd concussion?