Tebow

I looked up his stats.  It seems like he's been in the news a lot more than necessary for 8 home runs in A ball last year.

I'll give him credit though, he's playing AA now.  It would be pretty impressive if he stuck with it another year and made his way to AAA. It's a shame he's already 30 and can't carve out a nice baseball career, but I'm happy that the guy stuck with this.  He seems like a dedicated guy.

3 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Some of the other potential names were even worse, like the Timber Jockies...:o

The Altoona Curve of the Eastern League whiffed when they didn't name  the team the Fish. 

We here in Manch-Vegas NH are lucky to have our own EL team, the Fishercats. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm sad to say...

The ONLY reason I clicked on this thread was to laugh at someone laying out their half baked plan for the Bills missing out on the top 4, TT quitting the Ponies, and Buffalo taking a flyer and in return He leads us to the Ship. 

Now I'm kinda disappointed- there was potential for the dumbest of the dumb threads.

Maybe there is hope afterall!!;)

Edited by gobills1212

Mets have been using him (whilst paying him) for minor league affiliate ticket/merch sales from day one.  I've hated the little experiment from the beginning and can't wait till it's over.  This guy is as good at pro baseball as he was at pro football.  Get back to calling college football games and making anti-abortion commercials with your mommy.  Fraud.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 homerun... but his stats will be poor there as they accumulate.   a soon to be 31 year old in AA ball isnt normal or a good thing.  last year, in A, he hit .226 with 8 homeruns and 126 strikeouts. 

i tipped my cap at him for trying, and good stunt by the Mets... but calling him up to AA was too far.  he teally doesnt/didnt deserve it other than name.

9 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

I'm sad to say...

The ONLY reason I clicked on this thread was to laugh at someone laying out their half baked plan for the Bills missing out on the top 4, TT quitting the Ponies, and Buffalo taking a flyer and in return He leads us to the Ship. 

Now I'm kinda disappointed- there was potential for the dumbest of the dumb threads.

Maybe there is hope afterall!!;)

I thought it was because we've seen a couple of Johnny Manziel threads...I was thinking /dev/null was providing the 'ying' to counter the 'yang' of Johnny Football's evil ways.

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

Mets have been using him (whilst paying him) for minor league affiliate ticket/merch sales from day one.  I've hated the little experiment from the beginning and can't wait till it's over.  This guy is as good at pro baseball as he was at pro football.  Get back to calling college football games and making anti-abortion commercials with your mommy.  Fraud.

• Certainly don’t disagree with you that he probably doesn’t have the talent for the majors either and that he is being used by the Mets a little. But he imo is certainly no “fraud”. No one is perfect but you can get a pretty good idea of someone’s character by how they live. Tebow at least would take a knee to pray and to give respect and praise to his God. At least showing that he believed by his actions that the world doesn’t revolve around him. So sick of the “Gronks” that take a cheap shot after the play, blame the refs in the locker room, get slapped on the wrist with a one game suspension and then try and appeal it to the league. We all do it to some degree but I’m glad that Tebow is in the spotlight a little. He is a good man!!!
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Ah yes, the world famous Rumble Ponies. I'll admit I hope he gets to AAA. I wonder who the Mets affiliate is

Las Vegas 51s

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

100% agree, nothing but a cash grab but as much as I don't like it, I do understand it.  The lower levels of baseball need any extra revenue that they can get and this has been a huge one for them.  They sold out like every game he played in last year.  The main thing I dislike is that he's taking a roster spot away from someone who deserves it more.  It was easier for me to overlook that when he was in rookie ball or even A ball last year because few if any of those players are legitimate MLB candidates.  As he moves up, it gets harder for me to ignore.  Where do you draw the line between money and fielding the best team possible?  For me, we're at that line now and calling him up to AAA would cross it...unless his play dramatically improves.  1 for 18 with 11 strike outs in spring training does not warrant a spot in AA.

I say all that but if the extra revenue helps the Mets contend in even some small way, I'll be ok with it.

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

So you'd feel better if a minor league team was selling fewer tickets?

Don't really see the harm here, he's doing what he wants and he's apparently good enough to warrant his position on the team.   I never understood why people got so worked up about Tebow.

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Altoona Curve of the Eastern League whiffed when they didn't name  the team the Fish. 

We here in Manch-Vegas NH are lucky to have our own EL team, the Fishercats. 

My local team is the Rockland Boulders.  All of the locals, even Betty and Wilma, come out for games.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

he's apparently good enough to warrant his position on the team.   

I think it is debateable

He is nearly 31 years old, closer to the age of the manager/coaches than he is to the other players.  He hit .220 last season and struck out a lot in A.  He doesn't bring much speed (a requirement from an outfielder) and from what I hear isn't a very good fielder.  He stands about a 0% chance of hitting above .100 against a major league slider (and other movement).    He will probably be exposed in the Eastern League as it is.  

If he wasn't Tim Tebow, he wouldn't be where he is.  Class A I was fine because it is so saturated with players and opportunity.  When you get into AA, you are legit stealing an opportunity from someone else.  

I think he is a good guy, and it is impressive he was even able to hit as well as he did against young, pro-level pitching... but I dunno... kind of hoping this mercifully ends sooner rather than later.

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I think it is debateable

He is nearly 31 years old, closer to the age of the manager/coaches than he is to the other players.  He hit .220 last season and struck out a lot in A.  He doesn't bring much speed (a requirement from an outfielder) and from what I hear isn't a very good fielder.  He stands about a 0% chance of hitting above .100 against a major league slider (and other movement).    He will probably be exposed in the Eastern League as it is.  

If he wasn't Tim Tebow, he wouldn't be where he is.  Class A I was fine because it is so saturated with players and opportunity.  When you get into AA, you are legit stealing an opportunity from someone else.  

I think he is a good guy, and it is impressive he was even able to hit as well as he did against young, pro-level pitching... but I dunno... kind of hoping this mercifully ends sooner rather than later.

Maybe another team in NFL can give him a shot if his baseball career sputters.  

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

didn't he beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs that same year?

Lol sure he did.    

16 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Ah yes, the world famous Rumble Ponies. I'll admit I hope he gets to AAA. I wonder who the Mets affiliate is

Vegas, but moving to Syracuse next year. Might be a chance you get to see Tebow there

Edited by Wideright24
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

You into killing babies, huh?

Rumble Ponies...when did that happen?  When I lived in Binghamton, they were the Mets.  The Binghamton Mets never had a presence as big as Tebow on the team, at least not that I remember.  But Tebow should probably be a college football analyst.

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

So you'd feel better if a minor league team was selling fewer tickets?

Don't really see the harm here, he's doing what he wants and he's apparently good enough to warrant his position on the team.   I never understood why people got so worked up about Tebow.

His stats are pathetic and he's keeping a real baseball player from proving himself.

5 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You into killing babies, huh?

I'm into not telling a woman what to do with her body.  Huh.

Insofar as "keeping" someone else from AA ball, it's not like the Mets organization has tons of players that require being moved up to Bingo. It's an organization devoid of talent below the Major League level and if you know anything about minor league baseball, teams sign washed up veterans to fill out a roster all the time - guys that have no right being on a major league roster. Our best player in the minor leagues is an embarrassment. 

I don't see how he's hurting a soul and he's making less money than a burger flipper. And if he's doing anti-abortion commercials, he's living a life fully true to his principles. At least he's not lying to God.  

Edited by Tyrod's friend