Josh Rosen’s coach said he would take Darnold 1st

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed about the Bills and Rosen. I have a hunch they don't like him or want him.

I keep asking around and I keep on getting Josh Allen thrown back at me. Either this is a nailed-on certainty or Terry is paying a lot of people to build a narrative :D

47 minutes ago, BrotherChazz said:

This thread title is taking what he said out of context, as are most of the tweets. What he's saying is situational and directly related the Browns. 

EXACTLY!

Even guys on my home forum are having trouble properly understanding this. He isn’t saying that Rosen won’t be good or has issues ..he’s saying the Browns culture fits Darnolds personality better as far as their fan base is concerned.

From the article I posted you can see where Mora clearly says he think Rosen will be the better pro 

Edited by Patriot Killa
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

I keep asking around and I keep on getting Josh Allen thrown back at me. Either this is a nailed-on certainty or Terry is paying a lot of people to build a narrative :D

That's my gut feeling too. I think they love Darnold but realize he's not a realistic option. 

12 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I appreciate your honesty. I was lucky enough to talk to Dion about it during the draft process. I was satisfied with the answer he gave me and it seems as though the team was okay with it as well.

Back on the topic of Josh Rosen,  I don't think he's the personality type that the Bills will want. I don't particularly agree with it myself but I can see the logic in it from McDermott's side of affairs. When you're trying to establish a culture, you might not appreciate a guy questioning your methods while you're trying to establish them.

I do wonder if some of this stuff does come from scouts resenting Rosen for his background, considering they do long hours for a fairly measly salary (at least most of the entry-level area scouts). You certainly see it among wider society.

I agree on Rosen and culture, and that plus concussions equals not worth it for me. The scouts might do that but it's far more likely he gave them a reason to think he is an arrogant rich kid. I tend to believe where there is smoke there is a fire. It's up to Beane and mcd to understand if it's the Ryan leaf type of arrogance or the Tom Brady type.

18 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Wow, he is basically reinforcing the narrative that Rosen is spoiled and not likable.

Duh, I've been saying this forever. Mora got sick and tired here at UCLA protecting and coddling Josh from the local media. The red flags are there. If you choose to ignore them, that's your problem. Between injuries and personality,  there's a big risk. And yes he's got the best arm in the draft. Buyer Beware?

A guy just called into Bull & Fox out of Cleveland and claimed to be a family friend of the Rosens. He said that what Mora said is calculated because Rosen wants to go to NY and he is working that angle behind the scenes talking to both NY teams. No idea if true but he seemed like a level-headed caller. Anyway, they are trying to get Jim Mora to come on the show but he won’t come on. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

A guy just called into Bull & Fox out of Cleveland and claimed to be a family friend of the Rosens. He said that what Mora said is calculated because Rosen wants to go to NY and he is working that angle behind the scenes talking to both NY teams. 

Guaranteed McBeane already knows this and Rosen is not on their radar. Mayfield or Allen.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

A guy just called into Bull & Fox out of Cleveland and claimed to be a family friend of the Rosens. He said that what Mora said is calculated because Rosen wants to go to NY and he is working that angle behind the scenes talking to both NY teams. No idea if true but he seemed like a level-headed caller. Anyway, they are trying to get Jim Mora to come on the show but he won’t come on. 

I really thought about this this morning.  In my mind, I thought Mora might have said this on purpose for this very reason.

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

I appreciate your honesty. I was lucky enough to talk to Dion about it during the draft process. I was satisfied with the answer he gave me and it seems as though the team was okay with it as well.

Back on the topic of Josh Rosen,  I don't think he's the personality type that the Bills will want. I don't particularly agree with it myself but I can see the logic in it from McDermott's side of affairs. When you're trying to establish a culture, you might not appreciate a guy questioning your methods while you're trying to establish them.

I do wonder if some of this stuff does come from scouts resenting Rosen for his background, considering they do long hours for a fairly measly salary (at least most of the entry-level area scouts). You certainly see it among wider society.

Exactly how I feel. I don't think questioning the coach is part of the process.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Duh, I've been saying this forever. Mora got sick and tired here at UCLA protecting and coddling Josh from the local media. The red flags are there. If you choose to ignore them, that's your problem. Between injuries and personality,  there's a big risk. And yes he's got the best arm in the draft. Buyer Beware?

I was about to call you out since you obviously didnt listen to what Mora actually said, or even bothered to read the thread.

But instead, I'm blaming @YoloinOhio for his hot-take thread title.

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Really starting to think Josh Rosen is going to drop on Draft Night and maybe we should wait before trading up.

Can't see the Giants taking him. Jets love Allen and Broncos love Mayfield. 

I think it'll turn out the other way around. 

4 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I get this point, but I've heard this broken down a couple times and explained that it's not that he questions in that he disagrees or would do it different, but rather he is very smart and in order to fully understand or learn he simply isn't satisfied with the direction but rather wants to understand why and the dynamics of it. I perceive that as a type of learning. Some people are hands on, some people are text book, me personally, I understand bc I understand something better when I get the context. He sounds like a bright dude so maybe it's next level BUT it also sounds like why it is the way it is would introduce a broader understanding. Like the type of qb who knows his role as well as everyone else's.  That excites me bc the special ones seem to have that trait. I guess I'm just saying there seems to be a misunderstanding and some context to it where it doesn't have to be a bad thing and maybe is a good thing!

18 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

I get this point, but I've heard this broken down a couple times and explained that it's not that he questions in that he disagrees or would do it different, but rather he is very smart and in order to fully understand or learn he simply isn't satisfied with the direction but rather wants to understand why and the dynamics of it. I perceive that as a type of learning. Some people are hands on, some people are text book, me personally, I understand bc I understand something better when I get the context. He sounds like a bright dude so maybe it's next level BUT it also sounds like why it is the way it is would introduce a broader understanding. Like the type of qb who knows his role as well as everyone else's.  That excites me bc the special ones seem to have that trait. I guess I'm just saying there seems to be a misunderstanding and some context to it where it doesn't have to be a bad thing and maybe is a good thing!

Good point. Herm Edwards talks about this in his book as well. His early coaches were always annoyed by him because they thought he was questioning their methods, but really he wanted to know the logic behind the drill so he could learn even more. Once they figured that out, he was off to a long career. Wanting to build and broaden your football IQ is not a bad thing.

• Like (+1) 2

"He needs to be intellectually challenged": he has a brain and wants to know why things happen to actually understand them, being a better person and football player in the process 

"He has a lot of interests in life": he is a normal person and not some sociopath who eats/sleeps/breathes football with nothing else in his life

What I find funny is 

1) Mora admitted teams arent calling him directly to find out about Rosen. That more or less tells me no one values the man's opinion. Especially on a player he was hands on with.

2) Who the .... would find it bad that a young mind wants/needs to be challenged to excellence. That's a positive not a negative.

5 minutes ago, Will-GM-for-food said:

"He needs to be intellectually challenged": he has a brain and wants to know why things happen to actually understand them, being a better person and football player in the process 

"He has a lot of interests in life": he is a normal person and not some sociopath who eats/sleeps/breathes football with nothing else in his life

It's much easier to hold leverage over young players if they feel that, without football, they have little-to-zero expectations of a well-paying career. Smart people are wanted until they exhibit that their intelligence might lead them to pursue paths that don't concur with ownership/coaching.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:24 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, I love that guy who got everything because of his dad isn’t sticking up for his qb.  Mora with his recruiting and awful coaching killed Rosen’s chances to be a winner in college.  It’s like that saying that the only one who could stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith.

seriously, check out where UCLA players get drafted in the nfl.  The amount of big time talent that they had under Mora playing in the Rose Bowl in LA is embarrassing. What a joke of a coach he was.

According to Rosen, UCLA had a terrible football team because of the university's high academic standards, lol.

Edited by Sky Diver

8 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

If I understand this situation correctly,  Rosen need to be challenged intellectually.

And Mora is  intellectually challenged. Do I have that right?

Rosen is a little brighter than average. I don't get the notion that he's a super genius.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:25 PM, Awwufelloff said:

Wow, his own coach is saying this a month before the draft. Pretty telling stuff right here. No way the bills draft him. Mayfield is more likely.

I’m not a big fan of Tyrod but I’d rather have him back for another 3 years then Rosen 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen is a little brighter than average. I don't get the notion that he's a super genius.

You also think the University of Alabama is a good academic school.

19 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

According to Rosen, UCLA had a terrible football team because of the university's high academic standards, lol.

And you completely misunderstood the quote.  It’s a million times easier to get a player into Alabama than Stanford and to a lesser extent, Notre Dame.  

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wrong. It's a very good academic school that attracts a lot of high achieving students. 25% have an ACT score 32 or above and 40% have an ACT score of 30 or above.

Former Alabama QB Greg McElroy had a 48 on the Wonderlic. Rosen had a 29.

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Wrong. It's a very good academic school that attracts a lot of high achieving students. 25% have an ACT score 32 or above and 40% have an ACT score of 30 or above.

UCLA ranks 21st and Alabama 110th.

Don't ever use a wonderlic as a measuring stick for an entire university.

Edited by BillsFan17

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It's a very good school academically yes....if you're just a student.  If you're an All American football player.....you basically just have to be literate.  It's not just Alabama, it's a lot of powerhouses.  

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And you completely misunderstood the quote.  It’s a million times easier to get a player into Alabama than Stanford and to a lesser extent, Notre Dame.  

"UCLA can add another record-breaker to its list of sports statistics: largest SAT score gap between athletes and non-athletes. According to a new survey of 54 public universities released by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the average athlete at UCLA scored 247 points lower on the SATs than the average non-athlete, a greater difference than at any other university surveyed."

http://dailybruin.com/2009/01/06/emucla-should-not-lower-admission-standards-athlet/

Maybe UCLA has cracked down admitting low stat athletes. I haven't seen any recent data.

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It's no wonder that McElroy couldn't play a lick of football. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's a very good school academically yes....if you're just a student.  If you're an All American football player.....you basically just have to be literate.  It's not just Alabama, it's a lot of powerhouses.  

Where is your data to support that claim?