Rams trying to trade for OBJ per NYDN

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s already throwing to Landry and Gordon. Beckham is going to be a whiny diva no matter where he goes. 

there are not enough balls to go 'round for that situation. nevermind the fact Tyrod will sit on the majority of those footballs.

If I were a Giants fan, I would be hoping beyond hope that the Giants can pull off a good deal and get rid of this guy,

IMO he is trouble and will lead to more trouble, not worth the headache and the cap money.  If he is a clown now, how will he be with unlimited guaranteed money to set him up for several lifetimes?

I know NYC and Giants fans though and they will riot.

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

To recap the great WR class of 2014:

Watkins:  Traded; not resigned; now on 3rd team

Landry:  Not resigned; headcase; now in Cle 

Cooks:  Traded.  Demanded one.  Fantastic decoy now in New England 

Robinson:  Hurt.  Not resigned.  Now in Chi 

Benjamin:  Traded.  

Jordan Matthews:  Traded.  Will soon be on 3rd team

Martavis Bryant:  likes weed

John Brown:  Injury plagued 

Lee:  Resigned.  He's meh.

Moncrief:  Near bust status

OBJ: Now on trading block.  Also, headcase.  

Davante Adams:  New no.1 in GB.  We'll see.

Evans---the best of all of them imo.  Staying with Bucs locked up with extension.  

And yet lots of these WRs are getting paid. Big $$$. These NFL people must not know what they are watching. 

5 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

I didnt miss anything. Watkins pay has nothing to fo with actual production. Its still based on potential; thats rich and synonymous with bust and unemployed gms. OBJ will continue to clearly outperform the disappointing underachieving Watkins. The Rams knew exactly what Watkins was and are now going after someone else..

Nothing? Lol, I'm sure they hated the 8 TDs ( on a mere 70 targets) and his YPC was also tops among Rams WRs . If SW had a decent QB his whole career and an OC that fed him the ball he'd have much better overall " production". That's why he got paid. NFL types know what they are seeing. And " busts" generally don't end up getting lucrative second contracts in the NFL. If they get a second contract at all. The Rams are looking for a replacement that's less expensive right now. OBJ fits that , even if he ends up being a rental. Nothing the Rams are doing right now is for the long term. They're going all in to win now. They couldn't pay Watkins and do much else. They have weapons, but not a WR with SWs skill set. 

6 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

OBJ, Landry and Gordon, Ohh MY

What will Tyrod do?

Run around like a chicken with his head cutoff and not throw it.

Or just check down to Landry, who will finish the season with 285 receptions for 325 yards.

I'm just glad that the Bills won't be one of the teams paying these two (Watkins & OBJ) the ridiculous amounts of money they are asking for. Mike Evans was clearly the class of that years draft. His production speaks for itself. Don't be surprised when both these head cases are with new teams again in a couple of years. "Skill Sets" don't win football games. Players that PRODUCE win football games...

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

And yet lots of these WRs are getting paid. Big $$$. These NFL people must not know what they are watching. 

That wasn't the point of my post....not saying they were "busts."  No they're (most of them) are very good.  2 of them are elite.  

Just found it crazy.  That half on that list are still with the team that drafted them (those teams know them best).  And OBJ might be dealt and Bryant was almost released.  Still might.  

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

That wasn't the point of my post....not saying they were "busts."  No they're (most of them) are very good.  2 of them are elite.  

Just found it crazy.  That half on that list are still with the team that drafted them (those teams know them best).  And OBJ might be dealt and Bryant was almost released.  Still might.  

I think this might be the new normal at the skill positions. FA WR salaries are escalating. Windows of opportunity to win championships are shrinking. Drafted players are cost controlled and you get 5 years at a decent rate for 1st rounders. Then you start the cycle again with new drafted skill guys. QBs , elite pass rushers, elite pass protecting OLs and the top few WRs will be retained. The rest are rotated through every few seasons. 

14 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I'm just glad that the Bills won't be one of the teams paying these two (Watkins & OBJ) the ridiculous amounts of money they are asking for. Mike Evans was clearly the class of that years draft. His production speaks for itself. Don't be surprised when both these head cases are with new teams again in a couple of years. "Skill Sets" don't win football games. Players that PRODUCE win football games...

Evans may be the most productive, but that doesn't make everyone else JAG. If you hit on a pick like Evans , you keep him if you can. I don't think Tampa has a great winning tradition while they've had Evans, though. Other WRs can win games too. 

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

To recap the great WR class of 2014:

Watkins:  Traded; not resigned; now on 3rd team

Landry:  Not resigned; headcase; now in Cle 

Cooks:  Traded.  Demanded one.  Fantastic decoy now in New England 

Robinson:  Hurt.  Not resigned.  Now in Chi 

Benjamin:  Traded.  

Jordan Matthews:  Traded.  Will soon be on 3rd team

Martavis Bryant:  likes weed

John Brown:  Injury plagued 

Lee:  Resigned.  He's meh.

Moncrief:  Near bust status

OBJ: Now on trading block.  Also, headcase.  

Davante Adams:  New no.1 in GB.  We'll see.

Evans---the best of all of them imo.  Staying with Bucs locked up with extension.  

Agree with you. Mike Evans is a monster. Last year was disappointing but IMO he's still the most dependable of the bunch.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wanna say this is all posturing by the Giants to knock some $$ off the contract OBJ feels like he deserves. However, they may just see his departure as inevitable if they don't feel like he is worth being the highest paid player in the league. He can change an entire team, for better or worse. Would it be unreasonable to think the Giants could've been behind these recent pictures of doobie smacks and booger sugar being leaked? Are NFL teams so dubious that they'll throw another player under the bus to save some cash? How would Eli feel knowing the Giants are trading away their best player with unlimited potential, who is in his prime as Eli's window begins to close?

Questions that circle my mind as this saga begins. 

Idk man... I just don't know.

I think the rams are making a big mistake by going all in to buy a "window" of superbowl contention. How much of winning the superbowl is actually, at the end of the day, just luck? You want to be able to contend year after year and then hope one year that the luck falls in your lap. 

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think the rams are making a big mistake by going all in to buy a "window" of superbowl contention. How much of winning the superbowl is actually, at the end of the day, just luck? You want to be able to contend year after year and then hope one year that the luck falls in your lap. 

They'll be competitive for a long time.. look how young that team is.

May run into cap trouble when Goff needs to get paid but that's awhile from now. 

47 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think this might be the new normal at the skill positions. FA WR salaries are escalating. Windows of opportunity to win championships are shrinking. Drafted players are cost controlled and you get 5 years at a decent rate for 1st rounders. Then you start the cycle again with new drafted skill guys. QBs , elite pass rushers, elite pass protecting OLs and the top few WRs will be retained. The rest are rotated through every few seasons. 

Evans may be the most productive, but that doesn't make everyone else JAG. If you hit on a pick like Evans , you keep him if you can. I don't think Tampa has a great winning tradition while they've had Evans, though. Other WRs can win games too. 

Granted that Tampa is not much of a team in terms of wins but I'd hardly blame Evans for that... He's got 32 career TD's and averages over 1000yds each of his 4 seasons...  He's got that consistency that a QB can depend on... I don't recall him making a fool of himself either as opposed to how OBJ does...

Edited by DefenseWins

27 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

They have a really tough schedule this year, too. I personally don’t think Goff is that good but that’s an unpopular opinion. They can certainly win with him if the defense is as advertised and Gurley stays healthy.

Edited by YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You can contend year after year by adding young, elite players. 

If OBJ could be had for the 1st rounder, you make that trade right away. 

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have a really tough schedule this year, too. I personally don’t think Goff is that good but that’s an unpopular opinion. They can certainly win with him if the defense is as advertised and Gurley stays healthy.

He's like a Tannehill to me.  Their line was great last year, they were incredibly healthy, and gurley showed that he's really good.  

28 minutes ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

They'll be competitive for a long time.. look how young that team is.

May run into cap trouble when Goff needs to get paid but that's awhile from now. 

2020 is the big year - its pre-goff's extension but they have a lot of players contracts up.  They need to draft players this year and next i think, especially after trading so many picks.  

Whitworth
Brockers
talib
Sullivan
Gurley
Peters
Zeurlin

That's all after paying Donald more than Dareus in 2019.  Their window doesn't close in 2020, but they need to draft smart to fill these gaps because you can't extend everybody, and players get old/injured.  Seattle didn't draft well and they basically fell off a cliff.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

You can contend year after year by adding young, elite players. 

If OBJ could be had for the 1st rounder, you make that trade right away. 

nah. you'd run out of cap space real quick that way.

20 hours ago, ThunderGun said:

No way Beane is staying at 12 and hoping to land his guy.  This isn't just about finding a starting QB, this pick is basically Beane's career on the line.  You hit on a franchise QB, instant job security... You miss on a QB, or hitch your wagon to the wrong guy, and your career as an NFL GM is likely over just as quick as it began.

We do not need another QB thread but it is only job security if you mortgage the future using multiple first round picks.  Elway did it last year and is not being let go but he did not sacrifice a lot of picks for his Lynch pin.

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nothing? Lol, I'm sure they hated the 8 TDs ( on a mere 70 targets) and his YPC was also tops among Rams WRs . If SW had a decent QB his whole career and an OC that fed him the ball he'd have much better overall " production". That's why he got paid. NFL types know what they are seeing. And " busts" generally don't end up getting lucrative second contracts in the NFL. If they get a second contract at all. The Rams are looking for a replacement that's less expensive right now. OBJ fits that , even if he ends up being a rental. Nothing the Rams are doing right now is for the long term. They're going all in to win now. They couldn't pay Watkins and do much else. They have weapons, but not a WR with SWs skill set. 

How about we revisit this topic at the end of next year and we can see what new excuse watkins will have that will excuse him from meeting that giant potential that I keep reading about. I mean Robert Woods......

I'll do it, we get him on the cheap for 1 year, with a final prove-it season for the contract he wants right? He'll ball out at least before he gets paid. Easily makes us playoff contenders, and I'm all for getting this team in the playoffs as often as possible, until the roster really starts shaping up.

Beane won't do it.