Where are the HOLES on this Team???

Punt75

I keep reading about all the "HOLES" the Bills have to fill in '18 to be play-off contenders again and trading away 3,4 or 5 good draft picks for a top college prospect QB would be insane.  I believe the HC & GM wouldn't do this unless they knew they had a young QB who could dominate on the field right away - now!  If they believe that (and I trust their football knowledge) then go for it.  AND - - what Major Holes on the team are we talking about??

This coaching staff took a bunch of 2nd line players and won 9 games.  Something worked with their COACHING & SCHEMES and not with the players overall skill sets?

• Ryan Davis & Eddie Yarbrough were better than #1 pick Shaq Lawson!     Both are back this season
  • Kevin Benjamin, Deonte Thompson, Zay Jones, Brandon Reilly, Charles Clay, Nick O'Leary & Logan Thomas are all back this season!
  • All the DB's are back with Vontae Davis replacing the oft injured EJ Gaines with the erratic Shareece gone!  An upgrade overall
  • McCoy comes back with Chris Ivory a MAJOR upgrade over Mike Tolbert.  Remember Travaris Cadet & Taiwan Jones?  Both back also!
  • The D-Line added Starlite Lotulelei who's a big improvement stopping the run over Adolphus Washington. 
  • Trent Murphy is better than Shaq Lawson and will help Jerry Hughes with the pass rush!

SO - we need a couple of LB's  (Middle LB especially) and an OT!  IF we go for the big trade up in the draft and get that dominating QB maybe our 2 third round picks would do the job?

I trust this GM &HC - - - we'll have a better team in 2018!!

Edited by Punt75

Agreed!  Get a MLB and keep improving the roster.  I would like improve at RG and RT too.

You forgot to mention our improve at OC!

And, keep improving depth.  The biggest need for depth to me in CB #3.  Ours were bad last year.

Champions have depth.  If we don't get a franchise QB, our boat load of picks will fill holes and make us stronger across the board.  I like our chances of making the playoffs with AJ and these picks.  I'm not so sure if we give up the picks and start a rookie QB.  

Gaines is a big loss.  We were far worse without him.  Depth beyond White is questionable at best. 

We were picked apart over the middle of the field without a MLB that could cover.  Zo wasn’t great in coverage or in the 4-3 OLB position. 

The right side of the line was better, but still below par.  

We don’t have a WR after Kelvin, especially in light of the Zay saga. 

Our Front 7 is mediocre and has no depth or up and coming players. LB depth is non-existent. 

OLine is thin after Wood retirement and Glenn trade. Still no answer at RG or RT. Incognito is well into his 30’s now. 

No backup RB with juice in his legs. 

Little to no WR depth. 

No QB. 

Tight End has been lacking the entire duration of this Franchise. 

One corner that we can count on Day One. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Our Front 7 is mediocre and has no depth or up and coming players. LB depth is non-existent. 

OLine is thin after Wood retirement and Glenn trade. Still no answer at RG or RT. Incognito is well into his 30’s now. 

Little to no WR depth. 

No QB. 

Oh good, you're here and you brought your sunny optimism with you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Little to no WR depth. 

No QB. 

Sounds like The Bills are gunning for first overall pick next year.

35 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

As Yogi said: "It's deja vu all over again."

Deja vu all over again, haha 

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Oh good, you're here and you brought your sunny optimism with you. 

so agree!  This staff did miracles with the same situation last year and I think we're better going into '18!!!

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Deonte Thompson is still a FA and is visiting the cowboys 

He's back here in Bflo just waiting - - -

8 hours ago, Punt75 said:

I keep reading about all the "HOLES" the Bills have to fill in '18 to be play-off contenders again and trading away 3,4 or 5 good draft picks for a top college prospect QB would be insane.  I believe the HC & GM wouldn't do this unless they knew they had a young QB who could dominate on the field right away - now!  If they believe that (and I trust their football knowledge) then go for it.  AND - - what Major Holes on the team are we talking about??

This coaching staff took a bunch of 2nd line players and won 9 games.  Something worked with their COACHING & SCHEMES and not with the players overall skill sets?

• Ryan Davis & Eddie Yarbrough were better than #1 pick Shaq Lawson!     Both are back this season
  • Kevin Benjamin, Deonte Thompson, Zay Jones, Brandon Reilly, Charles Clay, Nick O'Leary & Logan Thomas are all back this season!
  • All the DB's are back with Vontae Davis replacing the oft injured EJ Gaines with the erratic Shareece gone!  An upgrade overall
  • McCoy comes back with Chris Ivory a MAJOR upgrade over Mike Tolbert.  Remember Travaris Cadet & Taiwan Jones?  Both back also!
  • The D-Line added Starlite Lotulelei who's a big improvement stopping the run over Adolphus Washington. 
  • Trent Murphy is better than Shaq Lawson and will help Jerry Hughes with the pass rush!

SO - we need a couple of LB's  (Middle LB especially) and an OT!  IF we go for the big trade up in the draft and get that dominating QB maybe our 2 third round picks would do the job?

I trust this GM &HC - - - we'll have a better team in 2018!!

No reason to think that the QB has to be ready to dominate right away. Just doesn't make sense.

You get a QB in hopes he's good for 15 years. The first year is one when he's going to be learning. Was it a bad move to draft Peyton Manning? He wasn't very good the first year. Goff didnt exactly dominate his first year and neither did Wentz. Were they bad picks.

Again, no reason to think they are going to insist on that. Having McCarron could well allow them to bench the guy for a year and give him a shot at figuring out the league and filling in his weaknesses.

As for weaknesses, the OL has problems. The LBs too. QB, honestly. WR. How good will Zay Jones be this year? Who'll be the #3 or the slot? The DL looks acceptable now but Lotulelei is a bit of a question mark. Will he play great the way he started out or a bit flat as he has recently. How will Kyle's age affect him? How much of a pass rush are we likely to have?

Too early to say right now, especially before the draft, but we'll have some holes. They seem to be headed in the right direction, though. Also seem to be the smartest FO we've had in a very long time.