Did the Jets trade screw us?

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Absolutely not and the irrational panic is almost getting comical at this point

Not so sure it's irrational.

If the Giants know were desperate to move up they can basically demand whatever the hell they want.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Klaista2k said:

If the Giants know were desperate to move up they can basically demand whatever the hell they want.

Or, we can just not panic and trade up to 2.

So, there’s that.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Success said:

Or, we can just not panic and trade up to 2.

So, there’s that.

Yeah it's probably going to take a **** load of draft picks though. 

If Beane thinks the asking price is too much then were pretty much !@#$ed. 

2 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Just now, Green Lightning said:

In a real sense it did screw us. It's set an enormous price to move up.

The Giants have all the cards now and if we want to move up it's going to cost us big time. Can we still do it? Yep. Should we do it ? 

I'm thinking yes.

So the cost to three would have been fine but the cost for two is astronomical?  

Stop and think.  The Jets blinked.  They now get 3.  For the Bills to want to move up and get a guy, they have to have a guy they feel is well worth it.  If they do, they can offer what is needed to get ahead of the Jets and get him.

Let’s say they are screwed (it feels like it.)

it all started when the Bills decided to stick with Taylor and not bring in a Brian Hoyer or worse.  That was the one move that was a catalyst to which brought us to today.

no Tyrod...we could have not pushed Kyle to return...and still executed all the other moves.

a team with no Taylor, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Sammy Watkins...etc would have effectively delivered a 5-11 record.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

So the cost to three would have been fine but the cost for two is astronomical?  

Stop and think.  The Jets blinked.  They now get 3.  For the Bills to want to move up and get a guy, they have to have a guy they feel is well worth it.  If they do, they can offer what is needed to get ahead of the Jets and get him.

I get what you're saying OMF. I just can't help but think the Giants will be influenced by the bevy of picks the Jets gave to move up just a couple of spots. Dropping down to 12, I don't know. But I do find it hard to believe that this is a scenario that Beane wouldn't have anticipated. Also possibly the Broncos moving up to two or somebody else. So I don't know. I guess we'll see what we see. The process has its emotional ups and downs.

13 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Let’s say they are screwed (it feels like it.)

it all started when the Bills decided to stick with Taylor and not bring in a Brian Hoyer or worse.  That was the one move that was a catalyst to which brought us to today.

no Tyrod...we could have not pushed Kyle to return...and still executed all the other moves.

a team with no Taylor, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Sammy Watkins...etc would have effectively delivered a 5-11 record.

And the playoff drought would have hit 18 years. 

Ill take the playoffs! 

10 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I get what you're saying OMF. I just can't help but think the Giants will be influenced by the bevy of picks the Jets gave to move up just a couple of spots. Dropping down to 12, I don't know. But I do find it hard to believe that this is a scenario that Beane wouldn't have anticipated. Also possibly the Broncos moving up to two or somebody else. So I don't know. I guess we'll see what we see. The process has its emotional ups and downs.

It comes down to whether Beane thinks it's guy he has to have.  He has more ammunition to move than anyone else.  

It comes down to whether Beane thinks it's guy he has to have.  He has more ammunition to move than anyone else.  

he can get there if Gettleman allows it. Giants really own the draft right now. if you want the QB that is. ha ha.

• Like (+1) 1

I think I'm feeling low because in my heart of hearts, I think the Giants are going to take Rosen or Darnold whoever's remaining. I can't believe we're just going to stick with Eli and not think about the future in this quarterback rich draft. So I really do think we're boxed out.

1 minute ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

No. There’s still plenty of opportunities available to grab a top QB.

or

Stay at 12, get Lamar Jackson, and use the rest of our picks to fill some holes.

We’re still in a Win/Win situation here.

Thank you. :  }

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Who cares. No shot at a SB without a QB....bad take

And you know for 100% sure now that the Bills won't get a good QB just because the Jets traded to #3? 

What id the #3 pick only gets you the 3rd QB off the board this year and that QB doesn't end up being worth trading the farm for?

What if in the long run we end up with just as good (or better) a QB at 12? 

Is the 2nd or 3rd best QB off the board ALWAYS better than the 3rd/4th/5th? 

What if we we end up with a Carr/Brees/Wilson etc? 

Oh, and Sorry but i dont see making the playoffs and not tanking a seaosn season as a bad take... I see it as something I've been waiting 17 years for! And I see it as a good sign that we finally have the right front office and coaching staff in place. 

Just now, Green Lightning said:

I think I'm feeling low because in my heart of hearts, I think the Giants are going to take Rosen or Darnold whoever's remaining. I can't believe we're just going to stick with Eli and not think about the future in this quarterback rich draft. So I really do think we're boxed out.

We're not boxed out.  We can even move to 1, again if Beane sees it as a guy he has to have.   Or to4 if he's happy with any of 4 QBs.

It would cost more more or less than moving to 3, depending.  But again by waiting we have more options whereas the Jets blinked earlyearmarks 

Assuming the Giants want anything but a QB....If I was the Jets I'd just call the Giants and tell them "if anyone calls you for #2, we'll pay you  X for you to move ONE spot back with us and we'll promise not to take the guy you want"

Hell I might do that NOW if I was the Jets.

I can't see the Giants going back to 12. I can see them  flopping with the Jets.

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

And you know for 100% sure now that the Bills won't get a good QB just because the Jets traded to #3? 

What id the #3 pick only gets you the 3rd QB off the board this year and that QB doesn't end up being worth trading the farm for?

What if in the long run we end up with just as good (or better) a QB at 12? 

Is the 2nd or 3rd best QB off the board ALWAYS better than the 3rd/4th/5th? 

What if we we end up with a Carr/Brees/Wilson etc? 

Oh, and Sorry but i dont see making the playoffs and not tanking a seaosn season as a bad take... I see it as something I've been waiting 17 years for! And I see it as a good sign that we finally have the right front office and coaching staff in place. 

Successful QBs greatly diminish as you move down the draft. I don't want a good QB, I want a great one - the longer you wait the harder it gets. In the past, QBs would fall more because of the contract that you had to pay them, teams weren't as willing to take risks. It is different now. McD and the Pegs took the risk last year of bypassing the QBs and winded up with a CB and capital to go get one this year, we have the picks. You can't be overly passive, because you may lose out on what you want. Tom D was sent to the pasture because he didn't act quick enough to move up for Pig Ben.

IMO #3 isn't high enough, but it gets you in a good position to swap with the Giants if necessary and have most of the blue chip prospects there (Nelson in their case)...

Yes I liked being in the playoffs, but the outcome was expected and that team was never going to be good enough to do any damage. When you are going through a multi-year tear down/rebuild like us, you forgo short-term thinking and play the long...

Just because the FO and Coaching staff is better than what we are used to so far - it doesn't matter if they can't address QB...

I'm also pissed we let the Jets (the one team who could really screw us) actually screw us. Not to mention, I want them too continue to suck....

Edited by Reed83HOF

47 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

So don't get desperate.  Desperation got us JP Losman.  Desperation got us EJ Manuel.  Beane's moves to this point have been measured and rational.   I don't expect anything less from him moving forward.

Edited by jkeerie
  • Like (+1) 2