Keenum to sign with Denver

If we are trying to get a top 1st round QB, why the hell are fans pushing for guys like Bradford, Foles or Bridgewater when all of them would eat up all of our remaining cap space when the rookie should be starting no matter what???? I just don't understand. We need to be looking at late free agency cheap QBs plain and simple.

• Like (+1) 2

Obviously the money will do the talking as to Denver's approach to the Draft, but it's also possible Elway likes a guy such as Mike White or Lauletta and wants him to ride the pine for a few years while he grows...IF that's the case, it would seem Denver is not going to take a QB in the 1st round, based on the aforementioned numbers of course. Either way, I think this helps the Bills in a variety of ways.

10 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Obviously the money will do the talking as to Denver's approach to the Draft, but it's also possible Elway likes a guy such as Mike White or Lauletta and wants him to ride the pine for a few years while he grows...IF that's the case, it would seem Denver is not going to take a QB in the 1st round, based on the aforementioned numbers of course. Either way, I think this helps the Bills in a variety of ways.

They might take the guard.  Keenum needs a clean pocket.

The odds have probably increased of Kirk Cousins heading to Minnesota.  It always seemed like the Vikings had their pick of the litter.  Now that it's 100% clear they aren't bringing Case Keenum back, one has to assume they are close to locking up a deal with Cousins. 

I don't think Keenum necessarily stops Denver from targeting a Quarterback in the draft.  But it may be a signal they are concerned about the QB they want falling to #5.  They know that Buffalo (at least) is trading ahead of them and the Jets before this whole thing is over with.  Cleveland is definitely taking one.

It would be funny if the Jets somehow get screwed in this whole situation.

6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

No surprise. I take that to mean Cousins to Minny...but you never know 

eventually you will

6 hours ago, switz1610 said:

At this point I like Josh McCown and a rookie. 

Serviceable QB, actually into the idea of grooming a rookie. 

is that all you want, a serviceable QB,.....whatever that means

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Good. Glad we didn’t pay him 20 mill+.  

I suppose they cld still over pay McCarron, but I'd be both shocked and dissapointed if they chose to invest in a FA for those $$

48 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

If we are trying to get a top 1st round QB, why the hell are fans pushing for guys like Bradford, Foles or Bridgewater when all of them would eat up all of our remaining cap space when the rookie should be starting no matter what???? I just don't understand. We need to be looking at late free agency cheap QBs plain and simple.

People like a name? Feel they'll come cheap? Maybe a rookie and a journeyman is unthinkable to some. 

6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

No surprise. I take that to mean Cousins to Minny...but you never know 

Yep. Cousins is an Upper Midwest guy. I think it's been all about Minnesota from the start. Keenum/Broncos? I'm not seeing that as fulfilling Elway's idea (fantasy?) that his team is just decent QB play away from being a Super Bowl contender, and Josh Allen (still obviously the guy they love) won't be ready as soon as some of the others.

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yep. Cousins is an Upper Midwest guy. I think it's been all about Minnesota from the start. Keenum/Broncos? I'm not seeing that as fulfilling Elway's idea (fantasy?) that his team is just decent QB play away from being a Super Bowl contender, and Josh Allen (still obviously the guy they love) won't be ready as soon as some of the others.

Nope Keenum is their guy.  They moved up and took Lynch with the 5th overall and it bombed.  New approach.

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

There is their Bridge QB. 

Cousins to Minny, AZ or NYJ now 

Dahm.  Well, when we see the deal we'll know how likely it is to take them out of the QB hunt.

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If Cousins wants to win,  Minn. makes far and away the most sense, as they're the team that was actually contending for the NFC championship.

So if Cousins feels he's better than Keenum, which I'm sure he does, "come in and grind" and he's there.

Why do you feel Denver has them some Allen love?

1 hour ago, greeneblitz said:

Two words: Dashawn Kizer

Cleveland threw him to the wolves last year and we saw what happened. Not sure if the kid will ever recover. I doubt McD wants to start the rookie no matter who it is until he's good and ready. It's Rare for a rookie to flourish immediately. That being said if there is no bridge signed than they REALLY believe in one of the Rookies.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dahm.  Well, when we see the deal we'll know how likely it is to take them out of the QB hunt.

If Cousins wants to win,  Minn. makes far and away the most sense, as they're the team that was actually contending for the NFC championship.

So if Cousins feels he's better than Keenum, which I'm sure he does, "come in and grind" and he's there.

Why do you feel Denver has them some Allen love?

1. Allen went to school in Wyoming, and there's been buzz about him here in Colorado for a couple years now.

2. The size. The arm. The, umm, Elway-esque "mold him in my image" thing that the other guys don't have.

7 hours ago, betop said:

So Bradford for us??

Please no. 

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1. Allen went to school in Wyoming, and there's been buzz about him here in Colorado for a couple years now.

2. The size. The arm. The, umm, Elway-esque "mold him in my image" thing that the other guys don't have.

I would have thought that Elway would have learned his lesson from Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch, but apparently not.

4 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I like this as well. Great leader and basically a coach now, per Jets reporters.

If you threw Josh McCown's name into the google machine, check out where it says he coached last year:

Current team: New York Jets (#15 / Quarterback)
Team coachedNew York Jets (Player-coach, 2017–2017)

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

Two words: Dashawn Kizer

Cleveland threw him to the wolves last year and we saw what happened. Not sure if the kid will ever recover. I doubt McD wants to start the rookie no matter who it is until he's good and ready. It's Rare for a rookie to flourish immediately. That being said if there is no bridge signed than they REALLY believe in one of the Rookies.

First off, Kizer isn't that good, I am a huge Notre Dame fan and saw every game he played in college.  He has a cannon arm but isn't that accurate and not great decision maker.  Compound that with one of the absolute worst rosters in NFL history.  By no means are the recent Browns teams any sort of a model for how to go about playing a rookie QB.  Dak Prescott went 12-4 a year prior as a rookie and almost went to the Super Bowl.  We may not be where the Cowboys were in talent two seasons ago, but we are far and away more talented than the current Browns roster.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please no. 

I would have thought that Elway would have learned his lesson from Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch, but apparently not.

He is an ego maniac. I think he will continue to draft this type until he hits on one. He only has a job because he was a great player and Peyton Manning fell into his lap. 

Denver has always wanted to sign their QB of the future this year rather than draft him. Cousins to the Jests might help us, too, but I don't really want them to get a QB of that caliber. We are positioned well to react appropriately and draft the guy we want for the future and sign who we want for now.

9 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

This takes the Broncos out of this QB market.  Here is why.  Keenum is being brought in to keep the window they think they have open. (I'm not sure they really have any open window left, but whatever)  Keenum is going to cost WAY TOO MUCH to be a bridge...this is to be the starter for the next 2-3 years while they still have a good WR pairing, still have Von Miller, still have Harris...they aren't completely bereft of talent.  Paxton Lynch is now officially a bust, but he's still on his rookie deal, still a guy they drafted in round 1 and paid dearly for to move up...and Trevor Simien....Simien isn't very good, but he's experienced and also cheap.  They aren't going QB this year....they will stay put at 5 and get one of the top 3 Non QB players in this draft....again in line with trying to win while the window is open.  AND....the coaching staff are all basically working THIS SEASON to prove themselves....this is not a situation where they have a staff in place, ready to start the franchise rebuild with a new QB....this staff won't be coaching any QB they take in the draft now...they are all in with Keenum and winning to save their jobs.  Elway isn't going to ask for their input on wich QB fits their system etc.  

I agree. They have a weak offensive line and defense is getting older. They may even trade down a few slots to grab that killer guard. They need youth. Keenum is not flashy but can take you to the playoffs with a running game. Guessing 22 million?

I figure I would give the board the fan's perspective from "Donkeyland".

Before the Keenum signing it was a lot similar to the Bill's fan's thoughts.

Most people happy Bronco's didn't sign Cousins.

At first mixed feelings about Keenum until they seen what Bradford signed for.

More fan's thinking Elway goes for a non-QB at #5 than a QB.

They mostly say roll with Keenum, Lynch and Kelly.

Most fan's wanted Rosen/Mayfield if they draft a QB.

FWIW

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

2 year, 36 mil.  I personally thought he'd get more.

Just low enough where I think Denver could still take a QB, but wouldn't be shocked if they didn't.

Agree, I will add that it would seem strange if Elway moves up after today.

That was the biggest question mark concerning Denver and a QB pick.