Did Gaines just re-sign???

MAJBobby

If Gaines resigns, he won't be the first player who tested the market,came to a  "tentative" agreement with another team, then decides to stay put.

Why stay in Buffalo?

1.He was hand picked by GM  Brandon Beane in the high profile Sammy Watkins. trade. Though, unknown by most Bills fans, he turned out to be a perfect in the Bills defense. Beane knew and thus, has strong belief in him.

2.  He is rumored to be signing with the Bucs, Dirk Koetter the Bucs head coach IMHO is one the most likely head coaches to be fired next year.What defense will the Bucs be running once he is canned? Will it be suitable for Gaines skillset? Will the new regime that takes takeover consider EJ to be one of their guys?

3. It certainly appears that Beane and McDermott are at the beginning of building something special,leaving a few dollars  on the table my be in his interest long term. That being said, as all these contracts do, it comes down to the guaranteed money, if the offers are at least in a similar ballpark, I could see him staying. 

Edited by Bag of Milk

1 minute ago, Bag of Milk said:

If Gaines resigns, he won't be the first player who tested the market,came to a  "tentative" agreement with another team, then decides to stay put.

Why stay in Buffalo?

1.He was hand picked by GM  Brandon Beane in the high profile Sammy Watkins. trade. Though, unknown by most Bills fans, he turned out to be a perfect in the Bills defense. Beane knew and thus, has strong belief in him.

2.  He is rumored to be signing with the Bucs, Dirk Koetter the Bucs head coach IMHO is one the most likely head coaches to be fired next year.What defense will the Bucs be running once he is canned? Will it be suitable for Gaines skillset? Will the new regime that takes takeover consider EJ to be one of their guys?

3. It certainly appears that Beane and McDermott are at the beginning of building something special,leaving a few dollars  on the table my be in his interest long term. That being said, as all these contracts do, it comes down to the guarenteed money, if the offers are at least in a similar ballpark, I could see him staying. 

Good thoughts.  I always wonder how much athletes should consider their landing spot and fit as much as they should.  For example, if you are playing at a high level become the player's skill matches the team's scheme and the player excels........will that help them maximize their current contract and help them get a good contract after.

I don't think agents care as much as they are in a pay now business FOR THEMSELVES. 

36 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm not reading much into it. Him re-signing just doesn't make sense to me for any party involved. Neither he nor Vontae Davis would sign up to be the third outside Corner off the bench or the Nickel. And paying either guy what it would take to get them just to have depth is a waste of resources that should be allocated elsewhere IMO.

"E.J.'s flexible, too," Beane said. "He can play inside at nickel. ... Vontae's not really an inside guy. E.J. will see his value here, and we'll talk, but it definitely does not close the door either way in my mind. I can't speak for E.J."

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/28/brandon-beane-says-vontae-davis-signing-doesnt-preclude-bills-from-bringing-ej-gaines-back/

I can't find it right now but I'm positive I saw something from McDermott saying Davis would start out on the outside and they would take it from there.

39 minutes ago, DJB said:

Would be amazing! !! 

Why wouldn’t he try and see what he can get in an open market ? IMO I don’t think he gets top 10 CB money , not even because of injury concerns but is he really a top 10 CB ?  I just don’t see anyone paying him $12 plus million a year , I sure as hell hope we don’t 

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

"E.J.'s flexible, too," Beane said. "He can play inside at nickel. ... Vontae's not really an inside guy. E.J. will see his value here, and we'll talk, but it definitely does not close the door either way in my mind. I can't speak for E.J."

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/28/brandon-beane-says-vontae-davis-signing-doesnt-preclude-bills-from-bringing-ej-gaines-back/

I can't find it right now but I'm positive I saw something from McDermott saying Davis would start out on the outside and they would take it from there.

The issue being that odds are someone pays him more for a bigger role. I don’t think there’s hard feelings- just unlikely to make sense 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Why wouldn’t he try and see what he can get in an open market ? IMO I don’t think he gets top 10 CB money , not even because of injury concerns but is he really a top 10 CB ?  I just don’t see anyone paying him $12 plus million a year , I sure as hell hope we don’t 

He already knows 

btw 12 mil per? Lmao. Casey heyward just signed for 9 and he’s an all pro.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The issue being that odds are someone pays him more for a bigger role. I don’t think there’s hard feelings- just unlikely to make sense 

I don't see it that way at all. I see a guy that has had 2 years of injury concerns. He has played well, but it's a really really deep CB market this year in FA. It may be better for him long term to take a little less and stay here...a system he knows already and knows he can perform well in to rehab his value. It really wouldn't shock me to see him get about the same deal Davis got. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I don't see it that way at all. I see a guy that has had 2 years of injury concerns. He has played well, but it's a really really deep CB market this year in FA. It may be better for him long term to take a little less and stay here...a system he knows already and knows he can perform well in to rehab his value. It really wouldn't shock me to see him get about the same deal Davis got. 

Like I said- not impossible, but no way that I’m buying it’s likely 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He already knows 

Look I like EJ he  did a good job for us and we were a better defense with him on the field , at the same time I don’t believe we need so called shut down CB ( $15 million ) in McD defense , 

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

Look I like EJ he  did a good job for us and we were a better defense with him on the field , at the same time I don’t believe we need so called shut down CB ( $15 million ) in McD defense , 

He is not a shut down corner.  He is a zone corner.  And, he isn't getting shutdown corner money at $15 million a year.

Edited by Manther
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm not reading much into it. Him re-signing just doesn't make sense to me for any party involved. Neither he nor Vontae Davis would sign up to be the third outside Corner off the bench or the Nickel. And paying either guy what it would take to get them just to have depth is a waste of resources that should be allocated elsewhere IMO.

No different than back when the Bills signed Flutie, then a month or two later Rob Johnson.  I always felt Flutie never would have signed here if he didn't think he would be the undisputed stater.

While I’d rather us spend the money elsewhere (DT, LB, G), having him in the slot with Davis and Tre outside combined with our stud safeties could give us the best secondary in football 1 through 5.  The rams might have something to say about that, but they have a midget in the a slot.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Already spending TT’s bonus I see 

maybe we roll with nate...mayfield/rudolph and use the fa qb money elsewhere. i wouldn't doubt it or be mad about it. i trust these guys. it's only the leftover subconscious whaley thing that worries people.

with his injury history, i can see him signing a deal like davis and we play a ton of nickel and they can rotate. it would be well worth the investment for the bills as well as having davis and e.j wholly devoted to building a kick ass unit. i would not bet against this happening. i hope it does. ...sorry l. johnson/shareece wright good luck to youz

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He already knows 

btw 12 mil per? Lmao. Casey heyward just signed for 9 and he’s an all pro.

That’s what everyone we’re saying that he’ll be looking for in free agency , personally I think $7 million is what he’s worth when healthy , what do you think he’ll be looking to get ( not what he’s worth ) but we know the importance of a good CB now days , 

Just now, Putin said:

That’s what everyone we’re saying that he’ll be looking for in free agency , personally I think $7 million is what he’s worth when healthy , what do you think he’ll be looking to get ( not what he’s worth ) but we know the importance of a good CB now days , 

Maybe 7

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe 7

Guess we’re on the same page then ! 

What about guaranteed money ? That’s where I’m a little worried , I’m sure you know why 

I think anything more then 4 years $22 million with $15 mill guarantee ( would be very risky) 

In my opinion of course ...