Case keenum the vet we bring in?

GoBills!

Looking at which vet would be a good fit. Case had a great 15 games with a good team. He averaged over 7 yards per attempt. 67% completion ratio, only 7 INT's. 

I feel with shady being better than the two rbs he relied on after cook went down would help him but we still would need WR help. Clay is better than Rudolph. 

Can we sign him for 3 years with a average cap hit of 12-14? Or will he command 16+ and a 4 year deal. 

GP 15 CMP 325
PAtt 481 CMP% 67.6
PYd 3547 Yds/Pa 7.4
PTD 22 Int 7
RAT 98.3 RuYd 160
RuTD 1

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I'm worried that he's a product of Shurmur's system and last season was just an anomaly. Hope it's not him. JMO

I'm worried his WRs made him look great but I think it's us, jets or cardinals. I think we look better than jets and the cards may be a better spot. But I rank him above foles. I'm not sold on a QB that will be available at 21 so I'd be happy loading up at LB, OL,DT WR to make this team better.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, trade up and get a young guy. Get a cheap vet like McCown.

If Cousins signs with Minnesota next week..trade up with who? The Giants are taking Barkley and Cleveland is done trading picks..and the Jets would never make a trade with us..not to mention the fact they are going QB..it's Cousins or Rosen for them.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, trade up and get a young guy. Get a cheap vet like McCown.

I've been leaning more towards McCown lately, myself, if they are going the draft route for a young signal caller. McCown is great in the locker room by all accounts and is ultra competitive. Good one year stop gap, IMO.

1 minute ago, GoBills! said:

I'm worried his WRs made him look great but I think it's us, jets or cardinals. I think we look better than jets and the cards may be a better spot. But I rank him above foles. I'm not sold on a QB that will be available at 21 so I'd be happy loading up at LB, OL,DT WR to make this team better.

Based on everything that's happening, it looks like the tea leaves are pointing to a trade up to get their guy. I honestly don't think they're going to sit at 21 and hope that someone they could "live with" falls to them, especially now that they've dealt Tyrod. They're going up to get their guy come hell or high water, IMO.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

If Cousins signs with Minnesota next week..trade up with who? The Giants are taking Barkley and Cleveland is done trading picks..and the Jets would never make a trade with us..not to mention the fact they are going QB..it's Cousins or Rosen for them.

The Giants, Colts, Browns and Broncos are all possibilities. The Daniel Jeremiah thought is interesting. The Giants go back to 4 and then back again with us. Cleveland takes Barkley and the QB and the Giants get a ton of picks.

• Like (+1) 1

..Keenum.....after 5 years did he mature or is he a "one hit wonder", possibly from the right system under Pat?...who knows...but with desperate QB crazy money, he is in a seller's market.....is Vikes letting him test FA any indicator?...flip a coin.....I'd bet he'll look for 4 years, $60+ mil with $30+ mil guaranteed MINIMUM......STILL think McBeane is committed to building through the draft and wants a MAX two year vet bridge guy to mentor the new 1st round QB and Peterman....McCarron probably looks for similar money with a lesser body of work.....both would have to be structured with a painless two year out capwise or neither are in the equation.   then again, I am guessing as to what McBeane is thinking....

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Giants, Colts, Browns and Broncos are all possibilities. The Daniel Jeremiah thought is interesting. The Giants go back to 4 and then back again with us. Cleveland takes Barkley and the QB and the Giants get a ton of picks.

That's a lot of "if's".Giants fans have no patience..they want the top dog.Mayfield is a shoe in for Denver...if you listen to out of town media..the Browns are not trading out at 4....The fans don't want to play the "wait till next year" lingo any longer,which is deservingly so.Looks like Indy is the only possible option..?

Keenum has been a practice squad/career backup his whole career.

He is going into his 7th season and has made 7 million dollars.

He has had 1, count it, 1 good year in his career last year with MIN.

Keenum's record before last year is 9-15.

He is going to sign with the highest paying team for the biggest contract he can get.

Spotrac has his Market Value at 20 million a year.................that is nuts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KeenCa00.htm

• Like (+1) 2

We could certainly do worse than Keenum. He would be a solid mentor also, and has already had the role with the Rams/Goff. I don't mind paying some money for the guy. You get what you pay for. He'll certainly cost more than he is worth, but so what? We need a guy. If we don't get someone solid, we may end up regretting the departure of Tyrod, at which point this board becomes intolerable.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

That's a lot of "if's".Giants fans have no patience..they want the top dog.Mayfield is a shoe in for Denver...if you listen to out of town media..the Browns are not trading out at 4....The fans don't want to play the "wait till next year" lingo any longer,which is deservingly so.Looks like Indy is the only possible option..?

The Giants are absolutely in play and Denver is too if they get Cousins. If Barkley is gone before 4, the Browns could be in play. A lot of “ifs” both ways. This is the ideal situation for a team looking to trade up. There are teams in the top 5 without a QB need.

I think the Broncos try to free up cap room for Cousins, but go for Keenum if their bid fails. Elway feels he still has a top D ( they were able to perform even hindered by a bad O) and a window to win now. I don't think they'll be wanting to plug in a rookie at QB

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I agree with what poster Kirby Jackson said, Josh McCown would be a solid pickup, he won't command as much as these other QB's and he'd be a top notch mentor for a rookie QB, all those would be a great learning curb for whichever young QB we decide to go with.

Mccown did play the QB position pretty good for an otherwise dismal jets team.......this would be possibly one of the best scenarios if our ultimate plan is to move right up into the top 10-5 to get a QB.......i dont know just cant see this FO being that aggresive (although i do love what has been done so far)

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny how no one wants Foles but Case Keenum and his 1 good partial season, or Bradford who hasnt finished a seaso  without time on IR are better choices?

For me I look at it like this. 

Foles

Or

Keenum+a 2nd rounder

That second rounder is good trade fodder for a move up. I think you would end up with about the same productivity between the 2 QBs in my opinion. In this case I'd take Keenum and the 2nd. 

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny how no one wants Foles but Case Keenum and his 1 good partial season, or Bradford who hasnt finished a seaso  without time on IR are better choices?

Neither of those other options cost a draft asset to go with the salary. It's a fair point by those who are opposed to a trade for Foles. 

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Doesn't matter who we bring in the rookie better be starting week 1

A veteran would be brought in with the thought of being a starter until a rookie is ready. The caliber of vet they choose to bring in should be a fair indication of how much draft loot they plan to give up. 

7 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Doesn't matter who we bring in the rookie better be starting week 1

It all depends who the rookie is and if he adapts to the NFL quickly.  Watson did it last year, but, none of those beloved puppy QB's have the body of work that Watson had with multiple national championship games under their belt and multilple 10 win seasons either.   Most if not all will sit a year or two (like A Rogers did behind Farve)  Get a grip my man!!!

30 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would like to have Foles on our team. So there's one.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Foles had a few good games, before that was about the retire. I think he was more a product of a system than keenum. 

Both are a risk but both could probably get you same amount of wins tyrod did.  I think keenum comes cheaper as he isn't a super bowl mvp. 

I wouldn't want to pay either one 45+ million  guaranteed for 4 years but 35 million guaranteed and incentives for 3 years is fine by me. 

1 hour ago, Zebrastripes said:

You bring in whoever you don't have to give a long term deal or over pay to land.  After all the plan is to draft a rookie and let him take over sooner rather than later.

Exactly this ^^^^^  

If I remember correctly McClown didn't want to come to Buffalo and picked the Browns instead, the Browns for crying out loud 

2 hours ago, GoBills! said:

Looking at which vet would be a good fit. Case had a great 15 games with a good team. He averaged over 7 yards per attempt. 67% completion ratio, only 7 INT's. 

I feel with shady being better than the two rbs he relied on after cook went down would help him but we still would need WR help. Clay is better than Rudolph. 

Can we sign him for 3 years with a average cap hit of 12-14? Or will he command 16+ and a 4 year deal. 

GP 15 CMP 325
PAtt 481 CMP% 67.6
PYd 3547 Yds/Pa 7.4
PTD 22 Int 7
RAT 98.3 RuYd 160
RuTD 1

If healthy I would rather have Bridgewater, would play for a short term contract.

2 hours ago, GoBills! said:

Foles has numbers like that in 2013. He also has a Championship, better playoff record and a Superbowl MVP. Foles will be cheaper since contract has 2 more years at decent numbers. 

27 minutes ago, GoBills! said:

Foles had a few good games, before that was about the retire. I think he was more a product of a system than keenum. 

Both are a risk but both could probably get you same amount of wins tyrod did.  I think keenum comes cheaper as he isn't a super bowl mvp. 

I wouldn't want to pay either one 45+ million  guaranteed for 4 years but 35 million guaranteed and incentives for 3 years is fine by me. 

Foles had a good year in 2013 under Chip, had a good year last year under Reich. Foles has a contract that is not a starters contract I believe for 2 years. Keenum is a freeagent and very well could be more expensive. If Foles retired it would only be because he didn't have a contract, he will not be retiring now so mott point.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Im cool with getting a cheap vet to help out our new rookie.

But if we go for a better FA QB ill take Keenum over McCarron.

Who are you pulling for if we go with the better QBs available

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Keenum has been a practice squad/career backup his whole career.

He is going into his 7th season and has made 7 million dollars.

He has had 1, count it, 1 good year in his career last year with MIN.

Keenum's record before last year is 9-15.

He is going to sign with the highest paying team for the biggest contract he can get.

Spotrac has his Market Value at 20 million a year.................that is nuts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KeenCa00.htm

I don't think our FO is going to pay 20M for Keenum.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

Im cool with getting a cheap vet to help out our new rookie.

But if we go for a better FA QB ill take Keenum over McCarron.

Who are you pulling for if we go with the better QBs available

Foles would be my first choice followed by Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron and Bradford I think. Haven’t put a ton of thought into it but the less questions the better for me.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Foles would be my first choice followed by Keenum, Bridgewter, McCarron and Bradford I think. Haven’t put a ton of thought into it but the less questions the better for me.

Right, i didnt even include foles because i dont wanna waste the draft picks we need to trade up for our rookie qb and our other needs to get younger at lb, dt, og, and rb.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Foles would be my first choice followed by Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron and Bradford I think. Haven’t put a ton of thought into it but the less questions the better for me.

Foles for the browns third rounder or our third is fine but I'm not giving up a first or our second for him. 

Now that Tyrod is gone, we can justifiably move forward with a new "bridge" QB without having the locker room/fan divide of whether or not he should be a starter or "the guy". Now if/when we draft our future QB early, by trading way up, we can without controversy, move forward. I think we should do so with Bridgewater on a 2yr-3yr (option) deal. He is competitive, young, and pretty much guilt free if he couldn't make it through a season or if the rookie outplayed him. Also, we could get lucky and he could have a great year and end up as valuable trade bait in a year or two (a la Bradford 2015-16). I just do not want to risk trading ANY picks for a QB when there are viable options on the FA market. What do you guys think?

Edited by FrankoElTanko

1 hour ago, FrankoElTanko said:

Now that Tyrod is gone, we can justifiably move forward with a new "bridge" QB without having the locker room/fan divide of whether or not he should be a starter or "the guy". Now if/when we draft our future QB early, by trading way up, we can without controversy, move forward. I think we should do so with Bridgewater on a 2yr-3yr (option) deal. He is competitive, young, and pretty much guilt free if he couldn't make it through a season or if the rookie outplayed him. Also, we could get lucky and he could have a great year and end up as valuable trade bait in a year or two (a la Bradford 2015-16). I just do not want to risk trading ANY picks for a QB when there are viable options on the FA market. What do you guys think?

I think it's pretty well known that the Bills offered a second for Foles. So they're willing to trade the pick for that player. Don't know what their thoughts are on the various FA QBs, but they obviously think more of Foles. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Boy I want your special abilities to predict the future.

Many Mocks have Barkley going 1 and Cleveland going best QB available at 4.

Keenum has some history with Rob Boras, our tight end coach who was his OC in LA. I still think he winds up in Denver as the bridge if they can't get Cousins. Kubiak had Keenum for awhile and is clearly in Elway's ear. 

Foles has has history with Boras, David Culley, and ofcourse Andy Reid. 

7 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

It all depends who the rookie is and if he adapts to the NFL quickly.  Watson did it last year, but, none of those beloved puppy QB's have the body of work that Watson had with multiple national championship games under their belt and multilple 10 win seasons either.   Most if not all will sit a year or two (like A Rogers did behind Farve)  Get a grip my man!!!

If you have it you have it... if you dont you never will at QB. Sitting doesnt help.

6 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

If healthy I would rather have Bridgewater, would play for a short term contract.

Foles has numbers like that in 2013. He also has a Championship, better playoff record and a Superbowl MVP. Foles will be cheaper since contract has 2 more years at decent numbers. 

Teddy would probably do a “prove it’ deal, which might be a good fit. A year or two mentor and to show he’s back, then get a big contract. If we take a top 5 guy, I still hope we take time and make sure he’s ready before throwing him in with live bullets flying.