Marquise Goodwin Signs a 3-Year, $20.3M Extension with the 49ers

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Hopkins just got $16M AAV and Alshon just got $13M AAV.

No one can seriously tell me that Watkins is gonna fall between the two of them on a long term deal.

Why not?  Jeffery has been an 800-yard receiver for 3 consecutive seasons, and he's totaled 15 TDs during that time.

In the last 3 seasons, Watkins has averaged 700 yards per season and scored 19 TDs.  He's also 4 years younger than Jeffery.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Why not?  Jeffery has been an 800-yard receiver for 3 consecutive seasons, and he's totaled 15 TDs during that time.

In the last 3 seasons, Watkins has averaged 700 yards per season and scored 19 TDs.  He's also 4 years younger than Jeffery.

because Jeffery is 10000% more well-regarded in league circles.

24 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Guy who works for me loves Woods, all I heard all season is what an amazing WR he is...I didn't even pay attention to his stats this year TBH

Dont get me wrong, he played well...but he still had less than 800 yards is all I was saying.  His production wasn't much better than it was here.  

My biggest issue with Woods when he was here is that he never really took advantage of opportunities to be a leading WR for a team.  Even in LA, he greatly benefited from the double coverage Sammy drew and also the array of other weapons teams had to defend in Watkins, Gurley (running and short passes), Kupp, Austin, and both TE's.  

Woods can be quite good when he is in a situation like he is in here in LA.  

31 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That's a good one.  I'm starting to wonder if Buffalo sports fans resent well-paid athletes... I'll leave it at that for now but I suspect there's more to it.

Right - Stevie was loved until he got paid (and dropped that bomb against Pittsburgh).

Once it's time to pay them, the fans turn.

Wonder no more.  The answer is yes.  Many Bills fans hate the highly paid, highly drafted players.  There is little controversy with the try hard UDFAs and late rounders...until they get paid.  See Johnson, Steven.  Captain of the USS Fukhmore.

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

For some reason I think people believe that the Eagles WR corps put up crazy individual numbers last year because someone was making big plays in highlights all the time............they did not.........they spread the ball around.    

Jeffery got paid in acknowledgement of his talent..........if they had less weapons he'd have put up much bigger individual numbers and that had to be accounted for if they didn't want to lose him.

I think Watkins would have had by far his best year with Tyrod in 2017 because he was the #1 and there wasn't a #2 or even a #3 really.    He was going to get his 10-12 targets per game finally.

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol come on BADOL.

You should know by now everything is Tyrods fault. 

As much money and draft capital as teams are spending on CB's now............is it ever surprising now when more CB's go in round 1 than WR?...........you gotta' start wondering who's really negating who's primary asset on gameday?:lol:

Watkins lined up against Jalen Ramsey, Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson and Josh Norman last year..........that's the shutdown archipelago..........and taking those guys 30 yards downfield and out of the play made life so much easier for the rest of the Rams offense.    

51 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I'm struggling to think of a Bills receiver since Andre Reed that the fans have actually liked.  Moulds?  Price?  We hated Goodwin, Sammy, Hogan, and Evans.  

I didn't hate any of those guys. The only problem I had with any of them was Evans' reluctance to run shallow crossers. 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The pass I suspect you're thinking of was thrown by EJ Manuel. There isn't a player in the league who wouldn't have been injured on that play given the ball placement and the angle of the defender making the hit. 

Yeah you are right but Tyrod has hung receivers out to dry too.  I will say, he seems to have done better with ball placement the past season

Good for Flash. Always liked that dude. That TD celebration of his right after he and his wife lost their premature infant was one of the most emotional moments I’ve ever seen onfield in any sport. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Rewarded for a great season, he is a talented guy (when healthy). Goodwin is a great guy and one that we should be happy for. Congrats to him!!!

i would absolutely echo this statement. very happy for him, and wish him nothing but the best. classy guy, glad to see good things come his way.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

That is highly suspect 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For some reason I think people believe that the Eagles WR corps put up crazy individual numbers last year because someone was making big plays in highlights all the time............they did not.........they spread the ball around.    

Jeffery got paid in acknowledgement of his talent..........if they had less weapons he'd have put up much bigger individual numbers and that had to be accounted for if they didn't want to lose him.

I think Watkins would have had by far his best year with Tyrod in 2017 because he was the #1 and there wasn't a #2 or even a #3 really.    He was going to get his 10-12 targets per game finally.

As much money and draft capital as teams are spending on CB's now............is it ever surprising now when more CB's go in round 1 than WR?...........you gotta' start wondering who's really negating who's primary asset on gameday?:lol:

Watkins lined up against Jalen Ramsey, Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson and Josh Norman last year..........that's the shutdown archipelago..........and taking those guys 30 yards downfield and out of the play made life so much easier for the rest of the Rams offense.    

Agreed on all counts 

39 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He was on track for a 1200 yard season through week 10. Had 170 yd game... then petered out got hurt etc 

Actually, thats really a myth.  Prior to the 171 yard game he played 8 games.  

In those 8 games he had a 100 game just once.  In the other 7 games, he totaled just 343 yards.  Which is an average of 49 yards per game, never having a game over 70 yards.

In fact, his 3rd biggest yardage total of the season was the very first game returning from injury with 81 yards.  So he didn't "Peter out" as you put it, in fact in the 2 games prior to getting hurt he had just 70 and 59 yards respectively.

People keep talking about this 1200 yard pace, but its an illusion and a fallacy all based on one game out of 11 that he had a big game.  Outside that one game, he averaged 55 yards per game in the other 11 games.  So had he played 4 more games, near his average, he would have finished with less than 1000 yards receiving and no where near 1200 yards.

Woods was a good contributor to the Rams, but it was not anything more than he did for the Bills despite being on a team that threw more than Bills did while he was here. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Fallacy.

Tyrod is limited but how do you explain Watkins putting up nearly 80 ypg with Tyrod in 2015?   Or Deonte Thompson landing back with Tyrod and suddenly, just a few days later,  looking like an NFL WR for the first time in his career and having by far his best season?

Good receivers put up good numbers if the QB fits their style.   Sometimes they actually get MORE opportunities with a limited passer than when the QB is excellent and distributes the ball better.   See the numbers of Josh Gordon in his big year or Nuke Hopkins basically every year with the bums he's played with at QB.

Tyrod fit Marquise style..........Goodwin just wasn't good at being an NFL WR yet.

He showed up to TC in August 2016 having not run routes or caught passes in almost a year.........he even refused to play catch in shorts during OTA's. :lol:   He showed up 15 pounds lighter than his football weight and had to battle to get thru the season and prove he could stay healthy so he didn't not only blow his Olympic dream but also kill his stated football goal of "a second contract".  After 2 years on the shelf training for the Olympics 2016 was a virtual rookie season for him.

Had he stayed in 2017 he would have likely had the same success with Tyrod.........but it's moot because he couldn't be trusted by the Bills at that point.

Tis true enough Sage One.

He was a good fit conceptually with Tyrod at the least. Would allowing time to pass and keeping him in Buffalo worked out as well?

not sure.

I would have kept R Woods too.His only true fault was injury

3 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

just to counter and have a poke, are you in these " league circles"  ?

kinda gross when misinterpreted 

:D

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I didn't hate any of those guys. The only problem I had with any of them was Evans' reluctance to run shallow crossers. 

he would have died . he knew and so should you. worst route when poorly thrown ever. and back then  MLB or even box safety could just stand there and cleaver his head clean off with only a 15 yard PI penalty.

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In those 8 games he had a 100 game just once.  In the other 7 games, he totaled just 343 yards.  Which is an average of 49 yards per game, never having a game over 70 yards.

In fact, his 3rd biggest yardage total of the season was the very first game returning from injury with 81 yards.  So he didn't "Peter out" as you put it, in fact in the 2 games prior to getting hurt he had just 70 and 59 yards respectively.

People keep talking about this 1200 yard pace, but its an illusion and a fallacy all based on one game out of 11 that he had a big game.  Outside that one game, he averaged 55 yards per game in the other 11 games.  So had he played 4 more games, near his average, he would have finished with less than 1000 yards receiving and no where near 1200 yards.

Woods was a good contributor to the Rams, but it was not anything more than he did for the Bills despite being on a team that threw more than Bills did while he was here. 

Well. thats still aint half bad is it?

and Bills did what last year with WRs? Nothing really. whilst all blame TT

piss poor moves generally speaking because all about picks and cap and the Vision.

1 minute ago, offyourocker said:

Hard to stay healthy when the ball is throw behind you a lot of times

He as a poor route runner unless thrown over him at that point in time. He had another gear you rarely see.
But getting off blocks and route running? nope. not so much when with Buffalo

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

... he would have died . he knew and so should you. worst route when poorly thrown ever. and back then  MLB or even box safety could just stand there and cleaver his head clean off with only a 15 yard PI penalty.

Well 3rd, that kind of makes the point, doesn’t it? Fear never stopped the likes of Andre Reed and others from venturing across the middle. Players can get hurt in any given play so fear needs to be managed and overcome. There’s also the element of how that route relates to the others run on a particular play as well. Route schemes are interdependent. 

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Well. thats still aint half bad is it?

and Bills did what last year with WRs? Nothing really. whilst all blame TT

piss poor moves generally speaking because all about picks and cap and the Vision.

I didn't say it was bad...I was correcting people who keep mistakenly saying he was on pace for a 1200 yard season based on the anomaly of one game in his 12 games.  Woods production was not really higher in LA than it was with the Bills despite playing on a team that threw more, but he keeps getting talked about like he had a huge season.  He was not going to even break 1000 yards had he played all 16 games.

LA is the perfect role for him.  He has Sammy drawing the best corner and double teams, he has Gurley making teams both respect the run and cover the short pass to him, with slot guys like Kupp and the two talented TE's drawing coverage over the middle.  He is a great weapon for the team, but still his performance gets blown way out of proportion on this board too often because of a single big game.  

What will be interesting is how he plays next year if Watkins leaves and he is now drawing the best coverage as the #1 target.  He has struggled in the past as the #1 WR and I don't know its a good fit for him.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn't say it was bad...I was correcting people who keep mistakenly saying he was on pace for a 1200 yard season based on the anomaly of one game in his 12 games.  Woods production was not really higher in LA than it was with the Bills despite playing on a team that threw more, but he keeps getting talked about like he had a huge season.  He was not going to even break 1000 yards had he played all 16 games.

image.thumb.png.7109001589f01e1faaacb62fa9b85cff.png

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Well 3rd, that kind of makes the point, doesn’t it? Fear never stopped the likes of Andre Reed and others from venturing across the middle. Players can get hurt in any given play so fear needs to be managed and overcome. There’s also the element of how that route relates to the others run on a particular play as well. Route schemes are interdependent. 

I did not mean to over simplify. But being thrown into coverage that is waiting for the bell ringing hit caused Evans to shy.

Trusting the QB.

Manuel screwed his receivers doing just that. They might have held a silent WR solidifying protest for all I know.

Perhaps Tyrod last year earned the same.

But Yes it was obvious indeed about Evans before and after he was traded (?) he was not going to run those crosses and or lay out for the ball.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dont get me wrong, he played well...but he still had less than 800 yards is all I was saying.  His production wasn't much better than it was here.  

My biggest issue with Woods when he was here is that he never really took advantage of opportunities to be a leading WR for a team.  Even in LA, he greatly benefited from the double coverage Sammy drew and also the array of other weapons teams had to defend in Watkins, Gurley (running and short passes), Kupp, Austin, and both TE's.  

Woods can be quite good when he is in a situation like he is in here in LA.  

I don't disagree, I think it is simply Goff & McVey > TT and Wrecks = more coverage

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I did not mean to over simplify. But being thrown into coverage that is waiting for the bell ringing hit caused Evans to shy.

Trusting the QB.

Manuel screwed his receivers doing just that. They might have held a silent WR solidifying protest for all I know.

Perhaps Tyrod last year earned the same.

But Yes it was obvious indeed about Evans before and after he was traded (?) he was not going to run those crosses and or lay out for the ball.

Great point about trust, especially when that trust is placed in an inaccurate QB. But again, not running the route causes the entire route scheme to suffer. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Well, Whaley's WR selections really don't seem all that bad. Woods, Watkins, & Goodwin have all gotten respect elsewhere that they didn't get here. The problem is and was the Bills offensive line, offensive scheme, and QB. I guess the last of the TT apologists are shriveling up at this point.

He is still crap.  The Shanahan offense does get production out of pretty useless little speed guys though. Taylor Gabriel went back to looking what he actually is this year without it.  It is a good fit for Goodwin though and that contract isn't too bad.  

Edited by GunnerBill

20 hours ago, Doc said:

F him.  He finally decided to grow up and take his job seriously instead of dicking-around with the Olympics and lo and behold he stays healthy and produces. 

Olympics are every 4 years, the window to make the team is very small. Expecially is athletics where younger athletes are coming on the scene every year. And considering only 3 guys make it in each event. Its an oporitunity you dont turn down. 

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We can debate math vs myth, but in the end the last sentence is the right one 

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is still crap.  The Shanahan offense does get production out of pretty useless little speed guys though. Taylor Gabriel went back to looking what he actually is this year without it.  It is a good fit for Goodwin though and that contract isn't too bad.  

you seem a bit bi polar here ?

:P

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. I think he is crap. He doesn't fit many offenses. That is maybe the one he does fit and they haven't tied themselves to him for too long or too much. 

But he a is a good fit ?

If he were truly crap. he would fit nowhere but the CFL perhaps.
Since he has been focused solely on the NFL, perhaps is no longer the crap you perceived him to be while in Buffalo ?:D