Why is Baker Mayfield getting the least amount of buzz?

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

OR... he’s extremely confident in his abilities and has an overwhelming sense of disproving people when their opinions are false.

Especially guys that have never played the game before and just shoot out generic “he’s too small” responses every time his name comes up. 

Yes, he may very well have extreme confidence and should be proud of that, but I think it is unhealthy to be focusing on proving others wrong. Maybe that is a trait he can overcome or maybe it won't affect his life as he matures. I hope I am wrong and it turns out all good.

4 minutes ago, mileena said:

Well, of course I can't diagnose him, but I have a personality disorder, so I am familiar with them and the DSM and know how to use the term..

Well....  On a humanistic side of things and without knowing you - I truly hope you are (continue to be)  successful in your endeavors.  However,  there is NOTHING about his actions that speak to a personality disorder either using the DMS IV or the newest DSM 5. I just think that people go to great lengths to prove their point about someone's mental stability to support their draft accumen.  I think it is lazy and wrong to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mileena said:

Yes, he may very well have extreme confidence and should be proud of that, but I think it is unhealthy to be focusing on proving others wrong. Maybe that is a trait he can overcome or maybe it won't affect his life as he matures. I hope I am wrong and it turns out all good.

Hey, you’re entitled to your opinion I just disagree. I personally don’t want him to change a bit. 

I think in sports, especially aggressive sports it’s perfectly acceptable to get added motivation in this way. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

Different kind of angst altogether than what drove Thurman and Brady. It's one thing to have a chip on your shoulder to prove something, whole other story keeping a list and stewing and "drawing lines" that are crossed, etc. Unhealthy, immature, and not a good characteristic in leadership.

For those comparing to Trump. Barf. His pettiness and unprofessionalism has nothing to do with an election victory, and has since proven to be a horrible leader. Not what I want in a president or a prospective franchise QB.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Brady still carries a chip on his shoulder about everything. Hasn't been too negative for him.

By all accounts it is an issue. Brady is able to channel his anger and frustration with negativity. 

When he looses football he will be in trouble.

22 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

He is focusing on himself, making himself better to prove the naysayers wrong. 

But he's not focusing on himself. Focusing on yourself means being deaf to all the criticism, and ignoring the haters. Drawing lines that are crossed and keeping clippings and lists is focusing on the outside static. Not a good sign.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dalton said:

If the chip drives you to excellence, then it is an asset.

If it eats your soul and distracts you, not so good.

I hope Mayfield is the first as I would like to see him on the Bills.

Everything in Mayfield’s career thus far would indicate the chip he has; has indeed driven him to excellence. So I would agree with your first statement that it appears to be an asset. 

6 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Well....  On a humanistic side of things and without knowing you - I truly hope you are (continue to be)  successful in your endeavors.  However,  there is NOTHING about his actions that speak to a personality disorder either using the DMS IV or the newest DSM 5. I just think that people go to great lengths to prove their point about someone's mental stability to support their draft accumen.  I think it is lazy and wrong to do so.

Thank you for your well wishes. Yeah I agree with the points you made. I think I went too far in saying his behavior is a sign of a personality disorder. And I actually feel he is on par with Rosen for a top prospect. Whether the Bills can get either is another story though.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Different kind of angst altogether than what drove Thurman and Brady. It's one thing to have a chip on your shoulder to prove something, whole other story keeping a list and stewing and "drawing lines" that are crossed, etc. Unhealthy, immature, and not a good characteristic in leadership.

For those comparing to Trump. Barf. His pettiness and unprofessionalism has nothing to do with an election victory, and has since proven to be a horrible leader. Not what I want in a president or a prospective franchise QB.

Political alignments aside, there is a major difference between a man who runs the nation through a network government in cooperation with multiple levels and systems.  In a dictatorship you'd have a better alignment. POTUS doesn't run the country. A QB runs the offense. 

Terrible analogy by those making it. 

If this dude is going to have anywhere in his head the impressions of those who do not coach him than he is never going to be successful unless he can channel his mentality toward a greater good than he himself is responsible for; as a QB he is a leader by default. Leaders lead internally. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

And you are a licensed mental health professional to know this?  Anger is a natural human response.  It can motivate OR debilitate depending on one's character.  So far for Baker...  It has motivated him.

PS his TEAMMATES absolutely love him and that says a lot of him as a young man.

Also, who knows if he is actually angry about these statements about him or just motivated to prove them all wrong. Though it seems petty, he could more likely be someone that cannot wait for the opportunity to say "I told you so". IMHO, an effective QB is one that exhibits great confidence and personal pride.

I played with a guy who used his detractors as fuel and it drove him to the most intense focus ever. He didn't have the inherent skill and athleticism to go beyond being a mid-level college QB, but he took that focus and moved it to the business world and sold his software company for over $200million 4 years ago. I loved playing with him as he didn't take less than your best every day and demanded you improve every single practice. It's awesome to be around.

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Hey, you’re entitled to your opinion I just disagree. I personally don’t want him to change a bit. 

I think in sports, especially aggressive sports it’s perfectly acceptable to get added motivation in this way. 

Yes, I have never been a top athlete or even a college or high school athlete. Whenever I did play though, people said I was being too nice. So I guess his traits may actually help in that regard. I do respect your opinion too. He probably does have what it takes to be great; I hope I am wrong about some of the mental stuff. Maybe maturity will help him in the coming years.

22 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It's called the Napoleon complex, they say 92% of all people under 6'0 have this in different degrees. Although is could be SPS ( Small Penis Syndrome), either way when your short in those areas your going to have some sort of complex.

Napolean wasn't that short btw

3 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Oh yeah, I don’t really give a sh*t either, it just makes me wonder where this kid’s head is at. By all accounts he’s an accomplished QB from a big time program almost assured to go in the first round. (As opposed to Brady who was a doughy backup with zero expectations.)

And so he chooses to focus on the “haters” to get motivated? That’s kind of weird to me. 

Why would it not be weird for Brady also.???

The guy was mostly a b/u in his college career, would not have played at all if Michigan could recruit an avg QB talent during that period, had the worst ever measurables at the combine,(watching him run the cone drill was beyond painful) invented Dad Body term before it was a thing, was so slow there is still a guy holding a stop watch at combine waiting for him to finish, had a weak arm, could not scramble, and passed no eye test saying he should be a good NFL QB.

And as you said had zero expectations. He should have been happy he was drafted at all and extra happy BB drafted him to sit behind Bledsoe.

Yeah he scored 33 on the wonderlick but has done numerous stupid things in his life mainly involving cheating in sports, not to mention lifestyle, dumping a pregnant girlfriend, his slimy health consultant, openly lying, water cures his concussions he supposedly never had, etc etc........to call into question the accuracy of that test for anything you can use to predict future actions.

Edited by cba fan
po

If you like him its Brady, if you hate him its Leaf. Both of these things are outliers. We are comparing this guy to the greatest of all time and one of the biggest bust of all time. The fact that Brady made it and Leaf didn't has nothing to do with Mayfield. 

Using examples from the past, that are both 1 in a million, aren't great way to defend this guy either way. 

The fact is that this guy is making a list of people who doubt him is weird, obsessive, and shows a huge amount of insecurity. This is not confidence, this is the constant feeling like he has to prove people wrong. He's gloating and talking about it as well which is really sick. This list is probably something he should have kept to himself. It doesn't show a guy with competitive fire, it shows a guy who probably needs therapy and could use some prozac. A quarterback needs to be able to block out all of the noise and the haters. This is not healthy for the leader of your team.  

What if he decides to throw the ball deep on a play because he wants to prove Colin Cowherd wrong and he throws a pick, when there was a wide open checkdown? That would be selfish and puts himself before the team. I've also seen hims make excuses quite a bit and this what insecure people do. When he had 8 uncatchable throws at his pro day he blamed it on the fact that he hadn't had practice with the recievers. It's a scripted pro day. None of this stuff is healthy guys. You might like it and it reminds you of Trump and whatever, but this dudes attitude is strange and it will only get worse in the NFL when there will be even more haters and talking heads.  

"The final proof of greatness lies in being able to endure criticism without resentment." --Elbert Hubbard

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If you like him its Brady, if you hate him its Leaf. Both of these things are outliers. We are comparing this guy to the greatest of all time and one of the biggest bust of all time. The fact that Brady made it and Leaf didn't has nothing to do with Mayfield. 

Using examples from the past, that are both 1 in a million, aren't great way to defend this guy either way. 

The fact is that this guy is making a list of people who doubt him is weird, obsessive, and shows a huge amount of insecurity. This is not confidence, this is the constant feeling like he has to prove people wrong. He's gloating and talking about it as well which is really sick. This list is probably something he should have kept to himself. It doesn't show a guy with competitive fire, it shows a guy who probably needs therapy and could use some prozac. A quarterback needs to be able to block out all of the noise and the haters. This is not healthy for the leader of your team.  

What if he decides to throw the ball deep on a play because he wants to prove Colin Cowherd wrong and he throws a pick, when there was a wide open checkdown? That would be selfish and puts himself before the team. I've also seen hims make excuses quite a bit and this what insecure people do. When he had 8 uncatchable throws at his pro day he blamed it on the fact that he hadn't had practice with the recievers. It's a scripted pro day. None of this stuff is healthy guys. You might like it and it reminds you of Trump and whatever, but this dudes attitude is strange and it will only get worse in the NFL when there will be even more haters and talking heads.  

"The final proof of greatness lies in being able to endure criticism without resentment." --Elbert Hubbard

I disagree with you wholeheartedly. Guess there’s only one way to find out. 

And outside of some fluke where we end up with Rosen I hope we find out with him in a Bills jersey. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I disagree with you wholeheartedly. Guess there’s only one way to find out. 

And outside of some fluke where we end up with Rosen I hope we find out with him in a Bills jersey. 

Fair enough. I really am just quoting everything I have ever learned about psychology and how the brain works and how these things affect who we are and how we handle stress. Everything I have ever learned says this is unhealthy. It usually comes with some sort of mental health disorder or disability like Asperger's.  

But I do think he has a chance to be very good if: 

A. His team fully embraces him and makes their offense fit his skill set.

B. He ignores the noise and just plays.  

That fact is that he is going to have some bad times. No matter what. Everyone does. When he is criticized during those times how will he react? With anger and disgust? Will he make excuses like he did after his pro day? Or will he simply let it roll off his back and work harder and says it is part of the process?

He is basically telling us he is incapable of doing the latter. 

A good starting indication this guy will be one of those “pain in the ass” players like OBJ, often surrounded by controversy.

Thought Rex ryan taught most of us already. 

no, this is not good. it’s creepy and ego driven.

Edited by BillsMafioso

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

Why would it not be weird for Brady also.???

The guy was mostly a b/u in his college career, would not have played at all if Michigan could recruit an avg QB talent during that period, had the worst ever measurables at the combine,(watching him run the cone drill was beyond painful) invented Dad Body term before it was a thing, was so slow there is still a guy holding a stop watch at combine waiting for him to finish, had a weak arm, could not scramble, and passed no eye test saying he should be a good NFL QB.

And as you said had zero expectations. He should have been happy he was drafted at all and extra happy BB drafted him to sit behind Bledsoe.

Yeah he scored 33 on the wonderlick but has done numerous stupid things in his life mainly involving cheating in sports, not to mention lifestyle, dumping a pregnant girlfriend, his slimy health consultant, openly lying, water cures his concussions he supposedly never had, etc etc........to call into question the accuracy of that test for anything you can use to predict future actions.

Under this premise the entire worldwide academic system would need to be changed. How does Brady being a jerk correlate to the Wonderlic test being completely useless? If producing a liar and a cheater renders a system invalid, it would be time to close every college campus on earth. 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Fair enough. I really am just quoting everything I have ever learned about psychology and how the brain works and how these things affect who we are and how we handle stress. Everything I have ever learned says this is unhealthy. It usually comes with some sort of mental health disorder or disability like Asperger's.

OMG....  What is it with Internet shrinks? First of all,  IF you were up-to-date on your incidental psychology....  You would quickly realize there is no such disorder as Asperger's since the DSM 5. Secondly,  IF his way of handling stress was oft putting (or pathological as your innuendo suggests) ,  then his teammates would not love him to death and swear by him.  They would NOT bring out his jersey to mid field when he got in trouble. As I said earlier in this thread....  It is okay to just say "I don't like him" without trying to create a biased psycho-assessment attempting to pigeon hole a young man to fit your unwarranted diagnosis and draft needs.

I'd love it honestly if we stayed put at 12 and he slid to us and we got him there because that chip on his shoulder would likely grow even bigger being the 3rd or 4th QB drafted with 11 teams passing him over.

The problem is that I have the feeling he's blowing a lot of teams away in his private meetings and he's going to be gone by pick #3.

I want him in a Bills uniform.

16 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

OMG....  What is it with Internet shrinks? First of all,  IF you were up-to-date on your incidental psychology....  You would quickly realize there is no such disorder as Asperger's since the DSM 5. Secondly,  IF his way of handling stress was oft putting (or pathological as your innuendo suggests) ,  then his teammates would not love him to death and swear by him.  They would NOT bring out his jersey to mid field when he got in trouble. As I said earlier in this thread....  It is okay to just say "I don't like him" without trying to create a biased psycho-assessment attempting to pigeon hole a young man to fit your unwarranted diagnosis and draft needs.

Well grad school was a while ago. But I do like him. I don't like this aspect of him. I think he is really going to struggle with the criticism of his play in the pros if he continues to keep this type of mindset. Wanting to prove people wrong as a way to motivate yourself from within isn't necessarily a bad thing. Keeping a list is weird, strange, obsessive, and a sign of insecurity. I mean if you had said list, why would you tell anyone about it? Napoleon complex is not cool for a starting quarterback to have. I think he has potential for success if he ignores the haters and just does his thing.  

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he has potential for success if he ignores the haters and just does his thing.  

I think all of our strengths can be turned to weaknesses IF not held in check and in the wrong context. I do worry that someone can burn out IF they don't have other avenues to vent. So as far as that goes....  I think we find ourselves in agreement.  What bothers me is when people throw out diagnostic impressions without the proper training or even without personally meeting someone. However,  I guess this IS crazy season. Good luck and enjoy the process.

• Like (+1) 1