Mason Rudolph

I just listened to this kids interview and he seems to have a knack for addressing the media and a chip on his shoulder. Comes across as a real pro. 6'4" 1/2 237lbs, God Arm, Accurate, and may be there in Round 2. I know he comes from a spread system and the Big 12, but I would be on board with bringing in a vet and taking Rudolf & James Washington in Round 2. Use the 2 1st rounders to build up the front 7 instead of giving up a ton for one of the big 4. There is no Peyton Manning, Carson Wentz, or Andrew Luck in this draft.  

I am including the link to the interview, but pay attention to the look and body language at the 6:42 mark when asked about the Bills. I believe that Beane was at Oklahoma State 2x this year scouting him. 

Mason Rudolph Combine Interview: Scroll to 6:42 to see his reaction when asked about the Bills

Edited by Sharp1128
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

I think he wouldn't make it past the Pats in all honesty. I am excited to see him at the combine tomorrow in comparison to the big 4 qbs, how does he stack up? There is always someone that becomes a riser after the combine, you may have to take him at 21 if he has a good performance and pro day. 

He doesn't have a strong arm, which unfortunately is a need in BUF because of the field conditions and he comes from a spread offense where he wasn't required to go through progressions. I'd prefer someone who has a strong arm and has already spent years doing the things required of him at this level rather than trying to learn them on the fly.  

6 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I like him. I'd go as far to say that under the right scenario I'd take him at 21. I understand he is slotted as a RD2 guy, but I think he can be a good pro.

I'm not as high on Rudolph after looking more closely at his games and considering the lack of good defenses he faced in the Big 12 Conference.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not as high on Rudolph after looking more closely at his games and considering the lack of good defenses he faced in the Big 12 Conference.

Same could be said about Allen and (Mayfield?). I'm not a pro scout, I am not a college guru and I am far from an expert, but Rudolph comes from an offense where the ball was constantly in his hands, he is also very accurate. I've liked Rudolph for a long time, it wouldn't upset me if he was the guy, let me put it that way.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

Same could be said about Allen and (Mayfield?). I'm not a pro scout, I am not a college guru and I am far from an expert, but Rudolph comes from an offense where the ball was constantly in his hands, he is also very accurate. I've liked Rudolph for a long time, it wouldn't upset me if he was the guy, let me put it that way.

I think he's okay, but nothing makes me say wow about him and he's really not a guy who's going to make something happen when plays break down. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think he's okay, but nothing makes me say wow about him and he's really not a guy who's going to make something happen when plays break down. 

I understand that, but he is malleable, he can throw the ball. Allen and Jackson both have accuracy issues, but they get a free pass. Rudolph is one of the most accurate throwers in the draft and he is smart, he knows where to go with the ball. Allen and Jackson have big arms, but they don't know where to go with the ball. Rudolph is very accurate and smart, while he won't wow you away with arm talent, he can get it there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I understand that, but he is malleable, he can throw the ball. Allen and Jackson both have accuracy issues, but they get a free pass. Rudolph is one of the most accurate throwers in the draft and he is smart, he knows where to go with the ball. Allen and Jackson have big arms, but they don't know where to go with the ball. Rudolph is very accurate and smart, while he won't wow you away with arm talent, he can get it there.

He's okay, but he's last among the so called big six that most are talking about these days.   I believe he greatly benefited from the talent surrounding him as well as from weaker defenses in the Big 12.  Hasn't really grown his game while at Oklahoma State. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's okay, but he's last among the so called big six that most are talking about these days.   I believe he greatly benefited from the talent surrounding him as well as from weaker defenses in the Big 12.  Hasn't really grown his game while at Oklahoma State. 

Allen and Jackson are above him because of their ceiling IMO. Rudolph has a lower floor. But Allen and Jackson were both completing less than 60% (56% and 59%), Rudolph completed 63% and every year at Oklahoma St. his accuracy improved. 

Edited by NewDayBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Very impressive interview. The kid has the personality of a franchise QB for sure. 

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I would put him ahead of Allen and Jackson at this point, his game is much more developed. He was also a much better player as a senior compared to his Junior season so I would have to disagree. My only concerns with him are arm strength and mobility. 

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Very impressive interview. The kid has the personality of a franchise QB for sure. 

I would put him ahead of Allen and Jackson at this point, his game is much more developed. He was also a much better player as a senior compared to his Junior season so I would have to disagree. My only concerns with him are arm strength and mobility. 

No way for me.  His game looks like it has reached a plateau that isn't very impressive.  He's just okay to my eye and that doesn't translate to a 1st round slection. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No way for me.  His game looks like it has reached a plateau that isn't very impressive.  He's just okay to my eye and that doesn't translate to a 1st round slection. 

I don't think any of them are worth a first round pick. I will take the proven asset over potential every time. Accuracy issues almost never improve at the NFL level. I think Rudolph is a very similar prospect to Teddy Bridgewater. 

1 minute ago, billspro said:

I don't think any of them are worth a first round pick. I will take the proven asset over potential every time. Accuracy issues almost never improve at the NFL level. I think Rudolph is a very similar prospect to Teddy Bridgewater. 

I don't. Bridgewater is a better short to intermediate passer while Rudolph is a better deep passer.  

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I get the same vibe from him as a QB as I got from Christian Ponder in a sense that they are both unspectacular prospects that will be drafted too high because of the position they play. 

2 minutes ago, freester said:

Many draft pundits compare him to Bryce Petty who came from a similar offense. 

I've seen that, I kind of get the comparison but I actually though when he came out Petty has a slightly higher ceiling had he gone to a team with a solid offensive coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He said smart because he gets the ball and throws to the first option as fast as he can?  I don’t see smart.  Once he sees his first option isn’t there......the trouble begins.  He’s pretty good at staying the the pocket and taking hits though.  I’ll give him credit for hanging in the pocket and for throwing a high arcing, catchable deep ball.

I guess my biggest problem with the guy is that he’s not good at making plays outside of the pocket......while not being very effective going through progressions. So what happens when the first read is taken away (and it will happen to him at a MUCH higher rate in the nfl than it did playing vs Big 12 defenses). To me, that screams “product of a system”. First read not there,  chance of success is limited with the ball in his hands. And he had 2 NFL WRs he was throwing to in college.  Our WRs are among the worst in the league, if not THE worst.   I’d rather have TT.

Tiny Trump hands, below average arm, not mobile, comes from bs college offense where he just throws bombs to wide open receivers. He's a 2nd-3rd round pick, too many questions marks. Someone will be dumb enough to pick him late 1st early 2nd

32 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Tiny Trump hands, below average arm, not mobile, comes from bs college offense where he just throws bombs to wide open receivers. He's a 2nd-3rd round pick, too many questions marks. Someone will be dumb enough to pick him late 1st early 2nd

ANY comparisons to Trump is a definitive NO!!

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the statement here is just factually inaccurate. In fact it’s one of the things I’m drawn to about him. His yards, completion %, TDs, all went up year over year while his INTs remained static. 

He he won the Johnny Unitas award this year over Baker Mayfield and those who say he doesn’t have a strong arm are missing something. He does not have an elite arm, but watch his video and you’ll see long bomb throws and some tight window throws, and if you watch opposite hash to boundary throws, not all of them good admittedly, but they’re there. And, arm strength within reason can be modestly improved and is certainly nowhere near the most important trait. 

I'm on record in other threads here saying the same thing, but this is the guy that is going to have draft day stock go up.  ....he's prototypical size...lots of reps...good arm...well spoken and articulate speaker....looks and sounds the part....Not comparing from a physical talent perspective, but that guy sounds JUST LIKE TRENT GREEN.  This guy has more physical gifts than Green had....Green had to max out his brain to get the most out of his limited tools...and he did it....The guy sounds like he could confidently command a huddle.  ....This is the guy I am predicting will be the ultimate winner out of this draft class.  Allen will bust.  ....I am on the fence about Jackson but heard his interviews today, and all I could think of listening to him speak was Geno Smith.  .....anyhow.....Here is your target Bufallo.  You missed Mahomes, but you can totally redeem the day, and WIN the KC trade by getting the franchise QB in this draft (because it will have paid off for you to get the high end CB AND the draft capital)  

*Prediction*  Rudolph goes in top 10.  Buffalo will need to get up there.....and they have the ammo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I like him a lot for two reasons;

1. His floor seems a lot higher than those of the other top-6 QB’s. His upside may be limited but I think he’ll be comparable to Cousins in terms of how his career goes, i.e. solid but unspectacular, a top 15QB but not a top 10QB

2. Of all the flaws of all the QB’s, his seem the least concerning. 

A. His arm isn’t strong enough:

Answer: but he has enough to make all the throws (and is especially good with the deep ball).

B. He plays in a spread against the Big12:

Answer: Many people don’t realize Darnold was also playing a lot of spread & RPO this year. Mayfield as well, and also against Big12 defenses. Rosen and Allen played more pro-style. But the league is moving far more towards the spread and using RPO’s anyways.

Meanwhile:

Rosen- “Attitude” questions, and moreso, injury questions. He’s had multiple injuries and multiple concussions at UCLA.

Darnold- Weird delivery. Small hands (by itself not always an issue). Led the nation in fumbles (AND that’s what makes it an issue). Prone to interceptions as well.

Mayfield- Attitude could cause him to implode. Height is a concern. Not only that, his height causes restrictions on the type of offense that can be run. Developing the correct throwing lanes is vital with a guy his height, and therefore a play-action pro-style offense will likely be key, from a guy who hasn’t taken snaps from center. 

Allen- The inaccuracy is scary. That’s all I’ll say. He’s got the rocket but no touch.

Jackson- I worry that he’s going to get injured. For such An amazing athlete, he’s incredibly lanky and I could see him getting injured early on in his career. Also the fact that I believe his play making ability, while an amazing asset, will always cause him to bail on plays too quickly and look to run.

People want to compare him to Bryce Petty? I don’t see it. His throwing motion is better, he’s more accurate, his arm is stronger and he has a quicker release. He also seems to have the right attitude to lead a team, and that’s huge. Also, I think he’s probably right with Mayfield for being the most accurate short to intermediate passer. Along with the fact that I think he has the most accurate deep ball. 

If the price to move move up is too costly (and in my opinion it likely will be), I’d stay at 21 and take Rudolph. Put him in a competition with a veteran for a year (McCown? Bridgewater? Bradford? Keenum? Chase Daniel? Matt Moore? Derek Anderson?) and let him take the job when he’s learned a bit. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the statement here is just factually inaccurate. In fact it’s one of the things I’m drawn to about him. His yards, completion %, TDs, all went up year over year while his INTs remained static. 

He he won the Johnny Unitas award this year over Baker Mayfield and those who say he doesn’t have a strong arm are missing something. He does not have an elite arm, but watch his video and you’ll see long bomb throws and some tight window throws, and if you watch opposite hash to boundary throws, not all of them good admittedly, but they’re there. And, arm strength within reason can be modestly improved and is certainly nowhere near the most important trait. 

You're talking numbers while I'm referring to him being the same QB in terms of skill set and I couldn't care less about him winning the Unitas award that means nothing regrading his potential as an NFL QB. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

9 hours ago, Sharp1128 said:

I think he wouldn't make it past the Pats in all honesty. I am excited to see him at the combine tomorrow in comparison to the big 4 qbs, how does he stack up? There is always someone that becomes a riser after the combine, you may have to take him at 21 if he has a good performance and pro day. 

If they want Rudolph, I think that they will have to either take him in the 1st or would have to trade up in the 2nd.  I don't think they can expect him to be available at pick 53.

I think the Petty comparisons are off.  Rudolph has a season more of starts under his belt and was more productive.  Id love to have Rudolph, checks all the boxes just hasnt been as tauted by the media as the other five guys.

One of only two guys in the top 5 or 6 that meets the Parcells critera.  Very impressive Manning like interview there.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Not a lot of arm talent. I just don't see him being anything more than a middling starter or backup. Let's not settle, let's go after one of the top four.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You're talking numbers while I'm referring to him being the same QB in terms of skill set and I couldn't care less about him winning the Unitas award that means nothing regrading his potential as an NFL QB. 

Fair enough that you don’t believe his skill set translates to the NFL. But consider some of the previous of Unitas award winners:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Carson Palmer

3. Eli Manning

4. Matt Ryan

5. Andrew Luck

6. Deshaun Watson

So it’s no guarantee at all, but to dismiss it out of hand seems myopic as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Fair enough that you don’t believe his skill set translates to the NFL. But consider some of the previous of Unitas award winners:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Carson Palmer

3. Eli Manning

4. Matt Ryan

5. Andrew Luck

6. Deshaun Watson

So it’s no guarantee at all, but to dismiss it out of hand seems myopic as well.

I wonder why you didn't post the entire list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Unitas_Golden_Arm_Award

:lol:

Year Player School Refs
1987 Don McPherson Syracuse  
1988 Rodney Peete USC  
1989 Tony Rice Notre Dame  
1990 Craig Erickson Miami  
1991 Casey Weldon Florida State  
1992 Gino Torretta Miami  
1993 Charlie Ward Florida State  
1994 Jay Barker Alabama  
1995 Tommie Frazier Nebraska  
1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida