He has a lot of QB's retiring...

Jimmy Garoppolo resigns with 49ers
- Drew Brees resigns with Saints
- Teddy Bridgewater resigns with Vikings
- Sam Bradford resigns with Vikings

And martaviusis Bryant being traded to us, don't see that

Edited by Boyst62
  • Haha (+1) 3

Not that I don't think it's interesting when people do this, but what a huge waste of time to speculate on the draft and trades that are made to this extent.

And to clarify his bills - Pitt trade, they swap firsts 22 for 28 and also send a 4th for Bryant.  Not Bryant for a 4th like he says under the WR trade section.

I don't have a problem with either of the trades since the bills would keep a first rounder but doubt they want to trade anything away at this point and want to get their guys in the draft.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Not that I don't think it's interesting when people do this, but what a huge waste of time to speculate on the draft and trades that are made to this extent.

And to clarify his bills - Pitt trade, they swap firsts 22 for 28 and also send a 4th for Bryant.

That's still a little rich for my taste on a guy that could be out of the league in a year. 

I would make that Bryant deal (but I’d prefer a 5th). He doesn’t address LB or CB and I doubt that the Bills deal a 1st for Foles. With that being said it can’t be easy to mock the entire league. I give the guy credit. 

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

And to clarify his bills - Pitt trade, they swap firsts 22 for 28 and also send a 4th for Bryant.  Not Bryant for a 4th like he says under the WR trade section.

I don't have a problem with either of the trades since the bills would keep a first rounder but doubt they want to trade anything away at this point and want to get their guys in the draft.

They actually swap 22 & 28 plus get a 3rd from Pittsburgh. They then trade their 4th. So Bills get: 28, 3rd round pick, Bryant

Pitt gets: 22, 4th round pick

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That's still a little rich for my taste on a guy that could be out of the league in a year. 

True.  I think that if we learned anything with this staff it's they aren't going to deal with guys with substance abuse issues.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Bills (surprisingly) tried to trade for martavis Bryant last year, so that’s probably why he went there

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Report-Bills-showed-interest-in-trading-for-Pittsburgh-Steelers-WR-Martavis-Bryant-109764154

Ehhh I think Martavis is as talented as they come but between the suspensions and his rift with the Steelers I don't see OBD making the move.

Everything we saw from them in year one was working towards creating a no nonsense locker room. I don't see that changing after a successful rookie campaign for the coach and GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would make that Bryant deal (but I’d prefer a 5th). He doesn’t address LB or CB and I doubt that the Bills deal a 1st for Foles. With that being said it can’t be easy to mock the entire league. I give the guy credit. 

They actually swap 22 & 28 plus get a 3rd from Pittsburgh. They then trade their 4th. So Bills get: 28, 3rd round pick, Bryant

Pitt gets: 22, 4th round pick

I missed that 3rd rounder.  Good catch.  

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

22 was used on Foles. 21 was traded to Pitt. 

Fun read Kirby! I'm planning on doing something similar, including contracts & cap stuff, once I get some time.

Thanks

Please do!! It will be fun. I was going to do it for the Bills and keep saying I will but haven’t dedicated the time. 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

22 was used on Foles. 21 was traded to Pitt. 

Fun read Kirby! I'm planning on doing something similar, including contracts & cap stuff, once I get some time.

I recommend blowing off your high level business meetings and get cracking. We come first.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Some guy mocked the entire offseason. There are trades, fa, and a 4-round mock. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kJ5ozdIyztU_yl5n8vFL3zr-3yAAOI14zqmHCt7HfSY/mobilebasic

The scenario that is very plausible is that the top qbs in this draft go very quickly. The Foles deal doesn't makes sense for the Eagles. The Wentz rehab timetable is still in question. A Fole acquisition for Buffalo would demonstrate how desperate this regime is for adequate qb play. Wouldn't that trade slot be a good place to take Rudolph or Jackson? Making a small trade down maneuver would be a good move to get another pick and not lose much value from the dealt pick. 

A Derek Wolfe signing would fit in the mold for what McDermott prefers in a DL i.e. versatility. That would be a very useful deal. 

Minnesota has some tough decisions to make regarding which qbs to keep and how much to pay them. Keenum gong to Arizona seems like a perfect fit. If Bridgewater is vocal about retaining his starting role it is going to be interesting on how the organization responds. 

This type of exercise gives a little inkling of all the many decisions that a front office has to consider in putting together a roster. Free agency and cap considerations are challenges that separate the good organizations from the mediocre organizations. Teams such as the Patriots that understand the relationship between talent to cost have more sustained success while other less astute teams that go for the quick fix without much strategic thinking fall by the wayside. 

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Why are people so down on Foles? Doesn't Daboll like running RPOs? Foles has played really well with two different OCs who allowed him to do what he is good at. He is far from a sure thing but then again so are all the kids coming out.

Foles would be a tremendous update from what we have now. That is indisputable. The issue comes down to value. Is using a first round pick on Foles worth giving up an opportunity to take a qb prospect such as Rudolph or Jackson? The issue comes down to pursuing short term goals at the expense of a long term solution. No one is saying that a drafted qb is a sure thing. Or the flip side of the question is Foles a long term answer at qb? 

10 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Why are people so down on Foles? Doesn't Daboll like running RPOs? Foles has played really well with two different OCs who allowed him to do what he is good at. He is far from a sure thing but then again so are all the kids coming out.

Plus the Bills showed interest in him last year as an FA. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if they tried to acquire him. Just not sure the price in a trade (Bill Polian said it will take “multiple ones”) will be something they want to do given their needs in the draft and because I think ultimately they will need assets to get their QB of the future, not their bridge QB. If he was an FA, I think they would be all over it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Bills (surprisingly) tried to trade for martavis Bryant last year, so that’s probably why he went there

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Report-Bills-showed-interest-in-trading-for-Pittsburgh-Steelers-WR-Martavis-Bryant-109764154

It sounds like when we failed to nab Bryant we grabbed Benjamin instead. So am guessing McBeane wanted to grab a big WR which we now have, I can't see us pursuing Bryant now. As right now, to me, our need at WR is a slot guy and a someone that could replace Tate as KR/PR. I've brought him up before,  and we showed interest in him https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/5/16101808/buffalo-bills-news-claim-for-bruce-ellington-sammy-watkins-zay-jones-andre-holmes-rod-streater, but think  Bruce Ellington be a solid add this offseason. 

13 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

For me I think that he has had times where he has been awful and great. He is on fire at the moment. He has been good at running RPOs for sure. I’m not positive that he is an upgrade from Tyrod in that scheme. I’m not interested in spending a 1st on him (despite how well he played in the playoffs). He had a great year, a great playoffs but struggled the rest of his career. Trade up and get a guy that can be a star. Have a vet here to hold down the fort. I wouldn’t hate a trade for Foles but wouldn’t be excited either. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For me I think that he has had times where he has been awful and great. He is on fire at the moment. He has been good at running RPOs for sure. I’m not positive that he is an upgrade from Tyrod in that scheme. I’m not interested in spending a 1st on him (despite how well he played in the playoffs). He had a great year, a great playoffs but struggled the rest of his career. Trade up and get a guy that can be a star. Have a vet here to hold down the fort. I wouldn’t hate a trade for Foles but wouldn’t be excited either. 

if it's a third and we don't give him a new contract i'm on board. or at least maybe just a one year extension i'm good. but people are saying he's gonna get a longer big money deal on a team team similar to alex smith or something. i'm not willing to risk that. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Foles would be a tremendous update from what we have now. That is indisputable. The issue comes down to value. Is using a first round pick on Foles worth giving up an opportunity to take a qb prospect such as Rudolph or Jackson? The issue comes down to pursuing short term goals at the expense of a long term solution. No one is saying that a drafted qb is a sure thing. Or the flip side of the question is Foles a long term answer at qb? 

I agree John. If I have to choose between Rudolph, Foles, Jackson and the cost is #22 I'm taking Foles each and every time. I haven't seen a good argument that would explain otherwise. 

If the cost is multiple firsts or a trade and a 100 million dollar contract then obviously that is a different discussion entirely. Right now Nick Foles for the 22nd pick, lets go. You're correct when you said he would be a huge upgrade over TT. He understands the game at the LOS and if given time he is an above average passer. 

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

First he says it's early and we don't know what the Bills front office will do, shortly after he has them trading for Martavis Bryant. 

I understand it's a lot to cover all 32 teams but as a Bills fan that trade shows yah all you need to know. Just freeballing. 

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Good point re: Foles.  I think whatever Vet we get the OC will have to focus on what the vet does and does not do well.  None of the Vet QB's we get will be the long-term answer.  Just have to find the best bridge for the rookie QB to learn from.  

And I totally agree on cost.  No way am I paying above a 3rd for a vet QB, esp. when you can pick up a FA Vet (from Minny for ex).  

I have had Martavis Bryant to the Bills for a 4th rounder on most of my offseason mocks.

It makes sense because:

1) the Bills tried to trade for him before the deadline

2) he is the true speed X or Z receiver that they need

3) he has the size that the Carolina guys seem to want

4) He is still on his rookie contract

5) but on the outs with the Steelers, who are deep at WR...... and entering his walk year

6) McD and Tomlin are part of that William and Mary connection so Tomlin would probably tell him if he is worth the risk

7) if he pans out he will probably have to accept less in FA due to his suspension issues.....making it possible for the Bills to potentially ink both he and Benjamin beyond next year

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He spent it well. It's clearly his hobby, and he's good at it.

It was great work.........would love to have his input here on TSW.

That draft he did may not thrill people but would make a good deal of sense............I just don't see the Bills trading a #1 for Foles and not drafting a QB.

If you gotta' run RPO........and you do if you have Foles..........then just keep Tyrod and go get your potential franchise QB on the roster.

Sleeper to Bills IMO.......NaVorro Bowman.    Seems like a poor fit on paper......too slow.......but I could see this team trying to patch up some holes on defense with instinctive/savvy vets on short term deals rather than turn over a lot of starting jobs to rookies.

• Like (+1) 1

Gaines gets away in FA but the Bills pick a WR(Gallup) then trade for one with a BA(MB).

I also didn't see Jordan Matthews landing spot.

No help on the O line.

PB gets signed away and there is no replacement at MLB drafted or FA

I am glad he is not the GM ;)

On 2/12/2018 at 8:22 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Wonder if they were just trying to get additional estimates for what Kbenj should be worth or needed another option to reference for the negotiations with Carolina ? 

Character fit seems off for it to be genuine interest 

Here's my crummy Bills only pipe-dream version in step-by-step excel format:

2018 Offseason

Highlights if you don't want to view everything:

- I'm under the projected T-51 salary cap with my camp roster, though my valuation numbers may be off on players. But I tried, so there's that. I did most of that actual cap stuff with Spotrac's tool plus their estimated pick costs.

- I have at least 1 of every position on the camp roster (71 total players at this point)

- Bills FAs Retained: Preston Brown, Leonard Johnson, Ramon Humber, Nick O'Leary, a few more depth guys

- Tyrod cut

- Bills trade Cordy Glenn, Picks 21, 22, and a 2019 1st to Indianapolis for the 3rd overall pick

- Bills sign Bennie Logan, Kyle Fuller, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Connor Barwin, and Taylor Gabriel in FA

- Bills draft Josh Rosen (or Mayfield, or Darnold... w/e), and get help at LB, G, DT, RB, EDGE, & CB

I'll probably modify it more as I invest more time into it.