In-Depth Breakdown of Sam Darnold by Eliot Crist and Other Analysts

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

So...makes mistakes, scary mechanics, and he's from USC?  What's not to love?

but...he could be good...maybe...

his mechanics are horrible.  not sure how he got this far throwing like that.  he worked with Jordan Palmer to fix it last year yet he's right back to throwing that way so that tells me there's no changing it at this point.  you just have to accept it if you want the player and he has shown that he can be a good player.  his ceiling isn't as high as someone like Josh Allen but his basement also isn't as low.  he's likely to be a middle of the pack type QB.  not exactly a screaming endorsement for what might be the #1 overall player selected in the draft.  tough call for Cleveland.  do they gamble and take the QB that has the potential to be a top 5 player or do you take the QB that has proven he's a player and has had success at the position?  i'd personally take Josh Rosen but he apparently doesn't want to play for them so that only leaves those 2 guys.  it will be interesting to see how it goes

19 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

his mechanics are horrible.  not sure how he got this far throwing like that.  he worked with Jordan Palmer to fix it last year yet he's right back to throwing that way so that tells me there's no changing it at this point.  you just have to accept it if you want the player and he has shown that he can be a good player.  his ceiling isn't as high as someone like Josh Allen but his basement also isn't as low.  he's likely to be a middle of the pack type QB.  not exactly a screaming endorsement for what might be the #1 overall player selected in the draft.  tough call for Cleveland.  do they gamble and take the QB that has the potential to be a top 5 player or do you take the QB that has proven he's a player and has had success at the position?  i'd personally take Josh Rosen but he apparently doesn't want to play for them so that only leaves those 2 guys.  it will be interesting to see how it goes

He's 20. And he actually had a good season. 

20 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

if you are Cleveland and Rosen is your top guy, take him.  he either plays for you, or you trade him for a mother-load of picks.  CLE is in a great position draft wise if they don't screw it up.  (a BIG if) 

• Like (+1) 2

Don't see the Rodgers comparison as the ceiling either. His arm isn't that electric 

I think on the high end he is a Big Ben. Big, athletic, can throw from the pocket but is dangerous throwing on the move, tough to sack 

If he becomes Big Ben whoever drafted him will be mighty happy 

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

His mechanics are far from horrible. He has a long throwing motion, but that doesn’t mean the mechanics are “horrible.” His footwork is fine and he knows how to manipulate the pocket.

You know who else has a long throwing motion? Russell Wilson.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Watched him only twice last year, wasn't impressed either time.

Probably a lock to be a Bill then...:death:

I was trying to Google your scouting report. Glad I came here.

After watching him in the Cotton Bowl, I was less worried about his ability and more concerned with his demeanor. He made some big time throws and was under extreme duress the whole game. His teammates - from the OL to the running game to the WRs - did very little to help him out. However, what struck me the most was how he looked at various times terrified, dazed, uninterested, disengaged. He didn’t look like a leader or that he cared about the outcome of the game. Everything he did just looked really slow. I came away thinking that he needs another year. But I understand why he declared. He has a ton of potential as a nfl qb imo, just don’t see the fire/competitive drive in him. Maybe it is there, and just didn’t come through during that game.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Watched every game he played. Impresses the hell out of me.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Don't see the Rodgers comparison as the ceiling either. His arm isn't that electric 

I think on the high end he is a Big Ben. Big, athletic, can throw from the pocket but is dangerous throwing on the move, tough to sack 

His arm is plenty good and his accuracy is outstanding. And he's not a timid thrower.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

After watching him in the Cotton Bowl, I was less worried about his ability and more concerned with his demeanor. He made some big time throws and was under extreme duress the whole game. His teammates - from the OL to the running game to the WRs - did very little to help him out. However, what struck me the most was how he looked at various times terrified, dazed, uninterested, disengaged. He didn’t look like a leader or that he cared about the outcome of the game. Everything he did just looked really slow. I came away thinking that he needs another year. But I understand why he declared. He has a ton of potential as a nfl qb imo, just don’t see the fire/competitive drive in him. Maybe it is there, and just didn’t come through during that game.

First time you've watched him?

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah, those intangibles are hard to gauge, especially from a fan's perspective. And then the transition to the NFL can !@#$ it up for better or worse.

I watch mostly Pac12 games because it's my local region. The kid seems to have "it." Rosen, also. 

Sometimes "it" is different at the college level than it is at the NFL level.

7 minutes ago, yungmack said:

His arm is plenty good and his accuracy is outstanding. And he's not a timid thrower.

Well I don't think I ever said his arm or accuracy wasn't good... I compared him to a HoF QB...

His arm isn't as electric as Rodgers and that's just a fact. He doesn't have the velocity or put the same rotation on the Ball as Rodgers... and that's not a knock , Rodgers has one of the best arms ever

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

I wasn't always impressed with the results but I think his talent is very clear.  He should have stayed at USC to polish his game.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, yungmack said:

First time you've watched him?

No, I watched his bowl game last year (loved).  I saw a couple USC games this year but didn’t watch closely. PAC 10 after dark is too late for yolo

• Haha (+1) 1

He's a winner, has excellent pocket presence, can extend plays, is very accurate, shows command and plays his best football in the clutch.  He's the best QB in the draft and if the Bills find a way to get him he'll be the best we've had since Jim Kelly.  

Rosen has all of the tools but my bet is he wouldn't have finished the Ohio State game with the pressure they were bringing and his receivers not winning against tight man coverage.  Darnold is a competitor and he's going to be great.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I was anti-Darnold up until the Cotton Bowl.  He was under extreme pressure most of the game, but when he did have a clean pocket he made some great throws.   He's tough and not gun-shy at all.  Live arm and great accuracy.

He really had no time to do anything - it was like they lined up 5 turnstiles for an OL...the downfield throws that he made  with DL in his face (except for the pick 6) were impressive 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

His mechanics are far from horrible. He has a long throwing motion, but that doesn’t mean the mechanics are “horrible.” His footwork is fine and he knows how to manipulate the pocket.

You know who else has a long throwing motion? Russell Wilson.

I was trying to Google your scouting report. Glad I came here.

Darnold's decision making can be very problematic.  He will give the ball away.   He's got a great deal of physical talent, but he is no sure thing, draft hype notwithstanding.  

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Darnold's decision making can be very problematic.  He will give the ball away.   He's got a great deal of physical talent, but he is no sure thing, draft hype notwithstanding.  

At 20 years old he has time on his side to develop further. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

At 20 years old he has time on his side to develop further. 

Most definitely.  I'm just saying he needs that development.  Folks shouldn't expect him to come into whatever organization and be a difference maker from the jump.  It could happen, but...

10 hours ago, purple haze said:

Most definitely.  I'm just saying he needs that development.  Folks shouldn't expect him to come into whatever organization and be a difference maker from the jump.  It could happen, but...

I agree with that. DeShone Kizer was the youngest starting qb in the league last year on a bad team. I agreed with the decision to start him,  because why not when you have no one else but marginally talented  inexperienced guys like Kessler and Hogan and Brock Osweiler who they eventually cut.

But he needed another year of cfb as well (though I understand why he came out). Similar to Kizer, Darnold may get drafted by the Browns and show flashes but look confused and turn the ball over a lot. That fan base will have zero patience for that again. Last year some were like ok, let’s get the #1 pick and get Darnold, it’s ok if we are winless. Well, now you did that, got Darnold, might be in same place as with Kizer on development and time needed. Now, I agree with starting the rookie right away and I believe Darnold has a higher potential for success overall than Kizer. But it’s a bad team coached by a bad HC. And it’s still going to take time. The quick “fix” for the Browns is Cousins if they can get him. But that fix is likely to 7-9 imo, not playoffs. Cousins is almost 30. I think their window isn’t now, it’s 2-3 years from now. The best fit for Cousins is a team with a currently open window with strong coaching, personnel in their prime, and a strong culture. 

OTOH, if they can get Cousins in FA it will help them sign other players in their prime in FA. That’s the key for them, as their team is a ton of rookies and inexperience atm.

Edited by YoloinOhio

There are always going to be varying degrees of opinions with top QB prospects like this. But my sources out west (specifically those dialed in to USC) insist Darnold's floor is Phillip Rivers, and if that's the case he's obviously a true blue chip prospect because if PR is worst case it's scary to think what the ceiling is.

This is also why it's my understanding the Bills (and probably many other teams) have him #1 on their draft board or near the very top. It would be great to land him but likely a pipe dream for us because no way the Browns are passing on him twice with their two top 5 picks.

At the end of the day you need to truly suck to have a chance at a generational talent like this the Bills obviously didn't last year.

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Darnold is about 220lbs.

Rodgers was 224@ combine I think.

Ben was 240+@combine.

He's more comparable to Rodgers size, but I do agree about the arm and style being more comparable to Ben

11 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

There are always going to be varying degrees of opinions with top QB prospects like this. But my sources out west (specifically those dialed in to USC) insist Darnold's floor is Phillip Rivers, and if that's the case he's obviously a true blue chip prospect because if PR is worst case it's scary to think what the ceiling is.

This is also why it's my understanding the Bills (and probably many other teams) have him #1 on their draft board or near the very top. It would be great to land him but likely a pipe dream for us because no way the Browns are passing on him twice with their two top 5 picks.

At the end of the day you need to truly suck to have a chance at a generational talent like this the Bills obviously didn't last year.

"Sources out west" "dialed in at USC"

Stahp.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Darnold is about 220lbs.

Rodgers was 224@ combine I think.

Ben was 240+@combine.

He's more comparable to Rodgers size, but I do agree about the arm and style being more comparable to Ben

"Sources out west" "dialed in at USC"

Stahp.

Yea I know he said not Big Ben weight ...

i was just comparing playing style and I see a lot of similarities 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah fair enough

I just think he needs to fill out or he'll get killed

Yea but he has not weighed in officially to my knowledge yet

I wouldn't surprise to see him at 225 , maybe more 

He a thicker guy, bigger than Rosen and Mayfield who just weighed in at 216

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea but he has not weighed in officially to my knowledge yet

I wouldn't surprise to see him at 225 , maybe more 

He a thicker guy, bigger than Rosen and Mayfield who just weighed in at 216

That's solid

I'm surprised how thin Lamar Jackson legs are, he's gone get broken in half

13 hours ago, purple haze said:

He's a true gunslinger and quite frankly USC had somewhat of a down year because of constantly being depleted of talent year after year in the NFL draft.

I would love to land Sam Darnold and unless the Browns are completely retarded and inept the guy they have been waiting for to turn their pathetic franchise around has fallen right into their laps.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is pretty skinny... some guys just can't get that thickness 

He has to change his game definitely 

He might be able to get there. It was a question mark of mariota as well (thin). Mariota has been banged up a bit though.

edit: I wanted to look up mariota’s weight at the combine - 222 as compared to LJ who is about 10 lb lighter. Yet he’s an inch taller than LJ. I do remember criticism of skinny legs with mariota.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He might be able to get there. It was a question mark of mariota as well (thin). Mariota has been banged up a bit though.

He can get there. It will take a lot of hard work but he's a gamer

hard work is nothing new to Lamar

• Like (+1) 1