AFC Championship GDT: Jaguars vs. Patriots at 3:05 PM ET on CBS

8 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

That's my point...they didn't get any controversial call go their way today.....nothing outrageous...they usually do...but I didn't see it today...

What game were you watching exactly?  Receiver goes OUT OF BOUNDS and comes back in.  NOT eligible receiver and gets a PI call that gives them a touchdown?????  That game was beyond terrible in terms of officiating.  Holding almost every play.  If I can see multiple O-linemen grabbing jerseys, there's holding.  Just one penalty for 10 yards for the pats.  Jags just get 98 yards worth.  Egregiously bad.

Just now, Luxy312 said:

What game were you watching exactly?  Receiver goes OUT OF BOUNDS and comes back in.  NOT eligible receiver and gets a PI call that gives them a touchdown?????  That game was beyond terrible in terms of officiating.  Holding almost every play.  If I can see multiple O-linemen grabbing jerseys, there's holding.  Just one penalty for 10 yards for the pats.  Jags just get 98 yards worth.  Egregiously bad.

Those PI called on Jax were legit.....and again, there was 1 holding call all game....the refs let them play....are you saying there were no holding from Jax at all either ?

2 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

I mean, if we are down to one bad PI call, and the rest called pretty even— I’d venture that the issue is expectations if calling it beyond terrible 

Just now, Iron Maiden said:

Nothing close to " outrageous "......we've seen calls like that throughout the league this year....

See em a lot when Cooks runs downfield, absolutely. Bad call is bad call.

Refs were twice as effective at moving the ball for the Patriots as their run game was. That’s not a statistic the winning team should benefit from.

Just now, NoSaint said:

I mean, if we are down to one bad PI call, and the rest called pretty even— I’d venture that the issue is expectations if calling it beyond terrible 

Lots of questionable holding/DPI on Jags TE in particular not called or even replayed. Happened enough to notice it.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

See em a lot when Cooks runs downfield, absolutely. Bad call is bad call.

Refs were twice as effective at moving the ball for the Patriots as their run game was. That’s not a statistic the winning team should benefit from.

Bottom line for me is this...we've seen calls this year that clearly helped NE and were questionable to say the least....not today IMO....Having said that, GO NFC !!

20 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Those PI called on Jax were legit.....and again, there was 1 holding call all game....the refs let them play....are you saying there were no holding from Jax at all either ?

There was clearly PI on Patriots defenders that were not called.  Twice alone on Lewis on third and long.  You can try to spin this however you want, but the officiating was a fat pile of ****.  Will be skipping the Superbowl this year personally.  Don't need to see another dumpster fire from the zebras.

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I like this one personally

z88ob4lmqhb01.jpg

#34.  What a great Patriot that guy is.

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Way more than one call.  The non-calls were egregious.  Easily two PI calls that should have been made on the Pats on passes to Lewis.  Holding more than a dozen times that I can count on offense.  Clearly one sided officiating to me.

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The Pats are a well coached and disciplined team and the teams they play aren’t?

Even that doesnt explain all the calls and non calls that went their way this year. Catches against them are noncatches and noncatches for them are called catches. It has become painfully obvious to even non Patriot haters to the point that announcers are commenting.

42 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you guys want to know about penalties this site is awesome.

Spoiler Alert:  New England is one of the least penalized teams and the teams they play have almost the most called!

Coincidence?  You can make the call.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/?year=2017

Interesting looking around, we had the least pre snap penalties in the league. 

All I will say is the only way I have seen NE get beaten and shut out of a football game is when a team has a crazy defensive line who can get after Brady CONSISTENTLY.  See Giants with Strahan, Tuck, Umenyiora.  That line made Brady's life hell and that's probably the only way you'll beat them.  That and when their WR's catch the football they must get knocked out (loss to the Ravens in the AFC championship, Bernard Pollard with the hit heard around the NFL.  Knocked Ridley clean out).  The Jags are halfway there.  But they had some stretches today where Brady was just too comfortable.

I know this is not a new observation, but there some pass plays in the 2nd half of that game where the holding going on by NE offensive linemen was so obvious it was laughable.  And not called.

There was one play where the NE player wrapped both arms around Dareus and was sort of spinning him around desperately doing whatever he could to protect Brady from being hurt, b/c he had been so badly beaten by Dareus...it was like he resolved to take the holding penalty instead of giving Dareus a free shot at Brady.

I was laughing as the play was unfolding...and there was no flag thrown.  I couldn't F-ing believe that one.

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Even that doesnt explain all the calls and non calls that went their way this year. Catches against them are noncatches and noncatches for them are called catches. It has become painfully obvious to even non Patriot haters to the point that announcers are commenting.

Yep, you'd have to be incredibly naive to believe that the Pats actually commit fewer penalties than other teams by such a wide margin. It's gone beyond the obvious call vs the opponent into blatant non calls that are overlooked or just not noticed by casual fans. These things have a huge impact in close games, which most NFL games are. Then the inevitable couple calls vs the Pats late when the game is out of reach. Not all penalties have equal impact. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

There was clearly PI on Patriots defenders that were not called.  Twice alone on Lewis on third and long.  You can try to spin this however you want, but the officiating was a fat pile of ****.  Will be skipping the Superbowl this year personally.  Don't need to see another dumpster fire from the zebras.

#34.  What a great Patriot that guy is.

Way more than one call.  The non-calls were egregious.  Easily two PI calls that should have been made on the Pats on passes to Lewis.  Holding more than a dozen times that I can count on offense.  Clearly one sided officiating to me.

Honestly, I’m not going to dive into comparing non calls right now. It makes for terrible conversation here (much easier in person, unless we both have video cued up).

ill stand by that they called nearly nothing on either team post snap. The refs kept the flags tucked, and generally got right turnovers, catches, etc... if you want to make a case that there was substantial no calls the pats got away with that the jags didn’t, id almost ask you if the jags should’ve pushed further too (but I obviously don’t think this one was poorly officiated)

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Honestly, I’m not going to dive into comparing non calls right now. It makes for terrible conversation here (much easier in person, unless we both have video cued up).

ill stand by that they called nearly nothing on either team post snap. The refs kept the flags tucked, and generally got right turnovers, catches, etc... if you want to make a case that there was substantial no calls the pats got away with that the jags didn’t, id almost ask you if the jags should’ve pushed further too (but I obviously don’t think this one was poorly officiated)

75 yards of DPI isn’t ‘nearly nothing’, it’s a huge advantage. 

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

2wice on Mercedes Lewis on would have been 1st down conversions.

I think one of these was on the drive right after the Pats TD that made it 20-17 3rd down. The Pats DB was early and seemed to impede the Jags player. No call and no replay despite how huge the incompletion was.  The Pats got away with a bunch of key holds on some big plays that were instrumental in their plays working. The refs just don't believe that the Pats O line even come close to holding apparently even when its obvious.

The only PI call I object to was the one at the end of the half. All these people saying it was obvious PI must be kidding. Both players were battling, the Pats receiver even has some of Bouye's jersey for a second, then he veers out of bounds and appears to end the play by batting Bouyes in the head with his forearm. Bouyes turned and faced the ball. I think it was textbook great coverage and a perfect place for a non call. The official who called it  was on the wrong side and made the wrong call. What was so weird to me on that play was the official who threw the flag's "excitement" at throwing the flag, He acted like "heres my big moment!!!" then he proceeds to visibly demonstrate what the call is and who its against before the ref does!! I cannot ever remember seeing that before. It was such a strange moment. Isnt it the ref's discretion on what actual penalties are called and if they stand?? But no this official decided it already!!

The bottom line for me is that the refs didn't win this game for NE. They just made it slightly easier when things were looking bad.  Yes the superstar Pats won it by themselves aided and abetted by some key bad calls by Hacket and some crucial poor plays by the Jags. That last Jags punt for instance. Of all the times to kick it just 41 yards that was not it. Then a 20 yard return by Amendola.  It was just so sickening, so familiar. The Pats get all the breaks, they know how to do it when the pressure's on and the script plays out as usual.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

75 yards of DPI isn’t ‘nearly nothing’, it’s a huge advantage. 

4 gameplay fouls vs 1 is nearly nothing called. If you want to jump in and change the discussion, I’m glad to go back that direction— but you’ve heard my take.

the call in the first half I only half saw and didn’t see a replay... I read a mixed bag on it

the dpi in the second half the guy got there considerably early, grabbed and twisted effecting the upper body on a very catchable ball. 

If we are down to one questionable dpi - the refs had a stellar day. There are calls and games I won’t defend but if that same exact game happened but Steelers vs jags instead, the board would be generally praising it.

Just now, NoSaint said:

4 gameplay fouls vs 1 is nearly nothing called. If you want to jump in and change the discussion, I’m glad to go back that direction— but you’ve heard my take.

the call in the first half I only half saw and didn’t see a replay... I read a mixed bag on it

the dpi in the second half the guy got there considerably early, grabbed and twisted effecting the upper body on a very catchable ball. 

If we are down to one questionable dpi - the refs had a stellar day. There are calls and games I won’t defend but if that same exact game happened but Steelers vs jags instead, the board would be generally praising it.

This is true, but they really need to get rid of DPI being a spot foul. 

I get why it is the way it is, but no call should be able to affect an outcome like that.  Too many calls are questionable to make it ever a good idea to hinge 50 yards on them.  That's not just an observation in this game, but the game in general.  Those jump balls are caught <50% of the time at least.  

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

But you’re not acknowledging the types of calls and their yardage awarded. Focusing on number of calls (and a post-snap qualifier to boot)...not even worth discussing.