Marcell Is Talking Tough: Says He's an All-Pro and Bills Treated Him Like A "Nobody"

BuffaloRush

2 hours ago, teef said:

no one who writes as wonderfully as you has a small, petty, fat life.  i'm not buying it.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We rate folks here based on their BMI (Bills Mastery Index) and not their BMI (Body Mass Index)

You get four stars.

Aww shucks. Thanks fellas! I guess maybe my life isn't petty and small just because I don't live in a big city :) 

I shake my head at guys like Dareus. The same way I cannot understand guys like Karlos Williams or all the other morons who have made it to the NFL and instead of being grateful for being the best of the best and getting paid like a king, decide instead to blow it by acting stupid, doing drugs whatever . Dareus is not a particularly skilled player. He got to the NFL by his rare genetics of being the size of a house. For him to not appreciate where he is at in life or how much he got paid and is getting paid is pretty galling. All you have to do is show up on time, avoid some vices and you'll make enough for life, for your kids lives, grandkids, parents whatever. He had so many chances to get it right here and he was lazy entitled and stupid. He just sounds like a petty little man for such a big guy. Good riddance and good luck avoiding the next personal f'up when you get suspended for a year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/15/2018 at 1:52 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

LMAO?  How is he behaving like a child?  For honestly answering questions by the media that are the truth?  Geezus

Really, you need this explained to you.  By spouting off that he was “being treated like a Nobody”.

The guy is the highest paid player on the team and he can’t stay healthy or in shape.  He has a history of off-field mishaps and suspensions, making him unreliable.  The coach has a rule on how injured players will travel with the team for a game.  He breaks the rule, in effect testing the coach.  The coach invokes the punishment, the same one others would get.  I guess when you make $100M and have a few Pro Bowls you are entitled?   Apparently that makes you a somebody?  That makes you special?   Instead he feels like he was treated like a Nobody.  That is childish.  

The reality is the Bills paid an unmotivated guy with no leadership ability the biggest contract on the team.  The new regime expects more.  Heck, even Rex expected more.   They really needed to clear that contract, even though Dareus is a good guy and a decent player.  

Dareus is in a good place for him.  He can make big money while being the 5th best DL on the team.  He can play 40% of the plays and he will only  be used to do what he is best at.  He won’t be called upon for leadership.  He willl make some plays and be in an environment where the pressure is off of him.  His Pro Bowl days are most likely in the past.  I can still see him pissing  off Marrone but maybe  he has decided to  grow up?  We shall see.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/16/2018 at 9:54 AM, elroy16 said:

Kyle's been trying to mentor this guy for over 6 years and now in 2 months the Jags have changed his life? Seems like a slap in the face. Thanks for all the hard work Kyle!

Who said Kyle was Obie wan Kenobi.for all we know, he could have cared less

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

On 1/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, CuddyDark said:

Environment is everything to a kid like Marcell. Bills didn't help him. He's lost a lot in life and he needs someone to believe in him. Bills didn't. We'll see but my guess is Marcell will be the best DT in football going forward. I really don't even look at this year because I think he's still in his NT shape.

The Bills massively helped him, most teams would have kicked him out of town long before the Bills did.

Oh, and he hasnt been very good in Jacksonville either......

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/16/2018 at 7:57 AM, Lfod said:

No one owes him anything either. That's why maybe he should be a big boy about getting shipped out. He doesn't owe me that but he owes it to himself. Consequences is a thing people don't understand 

You mean like going to the AFC championship for the first time in his career? Debt paid.

3 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Keep telling yourself that. Their run defense, coach, locker room and upcoming conference championship game, beg to differ

3 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

The Bills massively helped him, most teams would have kicked him out of town long before the Bills did.

Oh yea, I’m sure Rex was awesome for his growing up. I also don’t think McD handles him ideally (not as poorly but not ideal)

even if we accept at face value that he shouldn’t be here long term — maximizing his play for 2 years was probably the better goal.

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Oh yea, I’m sure Rex was awesome for his growing up. I also don’t think McD handles him ideally (not as poorly but not ideal)

even if we accept at face value that he shouldn’t be here long term — maximizing his play for 2 years was probably the better goal.

Guess what?

He was whining about his contract and being treated unfairly before he signed the big deal.

He was given the most guaranteed money in the NFL (60 mil) to a non QB after they already knew he would be suspended for 6 games for drug use.

He responded by bitching and moaning all season, then getting suspended another 4 games to start the next season for, guess what, drug use again.

Stop making excuses for him.

He's an adult, with a multi-million dollar contact, it's nobody's fault but his own that he didn't "grow up"

I don't care about his upbringing and his personal tragedies prior to the NFL.

None of those excuse a poor work ethic, an entitled attitude, being lazy on the field, showing up late (or not at all) to meetings and practices, showing up late TO A GAME, and multiple violations of the league drug policy, all while taking $70+ mil to the bank (with another $50+ on the way).

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Guess what?

He was whining about his contract and being treated unfairly before he signed the big deal.

He was given the most guaranteed money in the NFL (60 mil) to a non QB after they already knew he would be suspended for 6 games for drug use.

He responded by bitching and moaning all season, then getting suspended another 4 games to start the next season for, guess what, drug use again.

Stop making excuses for him.

He's an adult, with a multi-million dollar contact, it's nobody's fault but his own that he didn't "grow up"

I don't care about his upbringing and his personal tragedies prior to the NFL.

None of those excuse a poor work ethic, an entitled attitude, being lazy on the field, showing up late (or not at all) to meetings and practices, showing up late TO A GAME, and multiple violations of the league drug policy, all while taking $70+ mil to the bank (with another $50+ on the way).

I know it’s fun to make the answer 110% black and white... and I agree the overwhelming majority lands on marcell... 

but the truth is th is a lot of dudes in this league exist on the fringes of what you and I would consider acceptable. Lots of bad backgrounds, enabling, etc... in their pasts. 

A guy like Marcell, even short of his full potential, is still a world class talent. As an organization you have choices in how you manage those situations. As an organization the bills have had a lot of disfunction through the years. I feel like the organization managed to hit the worst on both sides by giving him the biggest financial commitment possible with little team leverage, while also giving him little structure to maximize his talents.

in turn the new regime shipped him out quick eating a TON of cap for a player I think we probably could’ve reached well enough to make the 2 year plan worthwhile (maximizing the contribution received per dollar spent). 

Marcell was and is a high maintenance guy - I’m not making excuses or letting him off the hook —- just acknowledging it’s a waste to take the stance that the team has no role in the success of these guys 

1 hour ago, 87168 said:

You mean like going to the AFC championship for the first time in his career? Debt paid.

Keep telling yourself that. Their run defense, coach, locker room and upcoming conference championship game, beg to differ

You do realise he has even worse stats and played even less in Jacksonville than he did in Buffalo?

Don't get sucked in by Jags media narrative. He has done even less from the Jags than he did for the Bills and all the talk is a convenient distraction for them, it's stopping the media questioning why they traded for a dud.

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

You do realise he has even worse stats and played even less in Jacksonville than he did in Buffalo?

Don't get sucked in by Jags media narrative. He has done even less from the Jags than he did for the Bills and all the talk is a convenient distraction for them, it's stopping the media questioning why they traded for a dud.

Dareus claimed the Bills "treated him like a nobody" because they didn't play him.  I assume he meant they didn't play him every down.  The fact of the matter is he can't play every down because of his (lack of) conditioning, and even the Jags weren't playing him every down and (at the time) had only started him in 1 of his 9 (now 2 of 11) games with them.  The hard-hitting Jax media missed on that follow-up. 

No, what he was really mad about was that despite his $100M deal and being (a former) All-Pro, the Bills treated him like everybody else in expecting him to show up for meetings and games on-time and giving his all on every down he did play...after partying in strip clubs or wherever the night before.  And then they traded him like he was a nobody, for a conditional 5th rounder.

And the Jags would likely have been in the AFCCG anyway without Dareus.  They had the easiest schedule in the NFL, ended up facing an offensively impotent Bills team in the playoffs, and faced a team they trounced without Dareus earlier in the season.  Of course Dareus' ego will tell him he had a big hand in it, but the Bills also making the playoffs without him (thankfully, because he would have been sqauwking about that as well) has got to be a kick in the ass for him.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I know it’s fun to make the answer 110% black and white... and I agree the overwhelming majority lands on marcell... 

but the truth is th is a lot of dudes in this league exist on the fringes of what you and I would consider acceptable. Lots of bad backgrounds, enabling, etc... in their pasts. 

A guy like Marcell, even short of his full potential, is still a world class talent. As an organization you have choices in how you manage those situations. As an organization the bills have had a lot of disfunction through the years. I feel like the organization managed to hit the worst on both sides by giving him the biggest financial commitment possible with little team leverage, while also giving him little structure to maximize his talents.

in turn the new regime shipped him out quick eating a TON of cap for a player I think we probably could’ve reached well enough to make the 2 year plan worthwhile (maximizing the contribution received per dollar spent). 

Marcell was and is a high maintenance guy - I’m not making excuses or letting him off the hook —- just acknowledging it’s a waste to take the stance that the team has no role in the success of these guys 

Who cares about his background.

Stop making excuses.

What did the bills do poorly?

He was the #3 pick in the draft.

Made two pro bowls on his rookie deal.

Had his career year in a contract year. (Sounds familiar)

Arrested for drag racing. Arrested for drugs.

GOT SUSPENDED 6 GAMES TO START THE NEXT SEASON.

Then started bitching publicly that he wasn't being treated right, felt unwanted, etc.

They turned around, paid the man THE BIGGEST NON QB CONTRACT IN FOOTBALL, put faith that he would live up to it.

What did he do?

Got suspended AGAIN for drugs and had two miserable seasons full of whining and complaining.

He's an ungrateful diva.

My job doesn't give great raises, I don't always feel wanted or appreciated, but guess what? 

I get up and go to work like a responsible adult and do my freaking job.

About keeping him and "eating a ton of cap" and "making it work for two years" as you said:

I'm not sure if you understand his contract, but this saved a ton of money and cap.

The move cleared about $5 million in 2017 salary-cap space and about $2 million in 2018 cap space, in addition to erasing about $47 million in cap hits from 2019-21.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Who cares about his background.

Stop making excuses.

What did the bills do poorly?

He was the #3 pick in the draft.

Made two pro bowls on his rookie deal.

Had his career year in a contract year. (Sounds familiar)

Arrested for drag racing. Arrested for drugs.

GOT SUSPENDED 6 GAMES TO START THE NEXT SEASON.

Then started bitching publicly that he wasn't being treated right, felt unwanted, etc.

They turned around, paid the man THE BIGGEST NON QB CONTRACT IN FOOTBALL, put faith that he would live up to it.

What did he do?

Got suspended AGAIN for drugs and had two miserable seasons full of whining and complaining.

He's an ungrateful diva.

My job doesn't give great raises, I don't always feel wanted or appreciated, but guess what? 

I get up and go to work like a responsible adult and do my freaking job.

About keeping him and "eating a ton of cap" and "making it work for two years" as you said:

I'm not sure if you understand his contract, but this saved a ton of money and cap.

The move cleared about $5 million in 2017 salary-cap space and about $2 million in 2018 cap space, in addition to erasing about $47 million in cap hits from 2019-21.

you need to write a book. call it "how I am obsessed with a football players life" and you could probably find several co-writers in this thread to join in with you.

just think, it could be a best seller. 

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you need to write a book. call it "how I am obsessed with a football players life" and you could probably find several co-writers in this thread to join in with you.

just think, it could be a best seller. 

Where am I obsessed?

All those things I listed were big media stories.

I have a very good memory.

How does that equal obsessed?

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

From a purely football-value standpoint, I agree with you that maximizing his play for 2 years would have helped the team.

I think there are two other factors:

1) it has an inevitably corrosive effect on the team's "culture" when the highest-paid guys aren't the highest-effort guys.  If rookies see the $95M man showing up late and dozing off in meetings, being unhappy, putting up less than 100% effort in practice and on the field, maybe not taking coaching - any talk about "earning the right to win" and "championship caliber" ring hollow.  From a morale/coaching POV, your highest paid guys have to be your leaders, the ones who set the example.

2) by taking a hideous cap hit in 2018, the Bills cleared Marcell off the books in 2019 and forward, freeing cap if they want to make a move in FA.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From a purely football-value standpoint, I agree with you that maximizing his play for 2 years would have helped the team.

1) it has an inevitably corrosive effect on the team's "culture" when the highest-paid guys aren't the highest-effort guys.  If rookies see the $95M man showing up late and dozing off in meetings, being unhappy, putting up less than 100% effort in practice and on the field, maybe not taking coaching - any talk about "earning the right to win" and "championship caliber" ring hollow.  From a morale/coaching POV, your highest paid guys have to be your leaders, the ones who set the example.

2) by taking a hideous cap hit in 2018, the Bills cleared Marcell off the books in 2019 and forward, freeing cap if they want to make a move in FA.

Agreed on all of it except keeping him 2 more years.

Even with the cap hit next year, it still gave us $2mil of cap space vs keeping him

After that it saves us over $15mil each year from 2019, 2020, 2021

That, combined with everything else you said, I am still all for the move.

Even if he turns into a dominant pro bowler again (he is only 27) I don't think that would have happened here.

McDermott seems like a guy who doesn't take crap from his players, doesn't make exceptions to team rules, so I feel like Dareus would have just been a mess with us.

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Where am I obsessed?

All those things I listed were big media stories.

I have a very good memory.

How does that equal obsessed?

why even post about it? why even care about a former player? what affect does it have on you personally?

seems you're not the only one based on this thread that seem to have this obsession, kind of like little choir boys who never do no wrong want to hang on to a former player and criticize his past actions like it really matters now. it doesn't.

he's gone. if you're still running your mouth about him, that's an obsession, period.

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

why even post about it? why even care about a former player? what affect does it have on you personally?

seems you're not the only one based on this thread that seem to have this obsession, kind of like little choir boys who never do no wrong want to hang on to a former player and criticize his past actions like it really matters now. it doesn't.

he's gone. if you're still running your mouth about him, that's an obsession, period.

Why even come on a message board and post?

You're still running your mouth telling people on a message board that they are obsessed for debating a topic, which is the exact purpose of this message board, to have discussions.

Obviously you are obsessed too, based on you logic.

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

Dareus claimed the Bills "treated him like a nobody" because they didn't play him.  I assume he meant they didn't play him every down.  The fact of the matter is he can't play every down because of his (lack of) conditioning, and even the Jags weren't playing him every down and (at the time) had only started him in 1 of his 9 (now 2 of 11) games with them.  The hard-hitting Jax media missed on that follow-up. 

Lack of conditioning? Aside there being no proof at all. He would be responsible for his own conditioning, it's no one's responsible except his own.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Why even come on a message board and post?

You're still running your mouth telling people on a message board that they are obsessed for debating a topic, which is the exact purpose of this message board, to have discussions.

Obviously you are obsessed too, based on you logic.

I am. you're correct. I come to read the bull **** and in some cases read about the team GOING FORWARD. but, as obsession is, some are obsessed with the past, can't let go and some are obsessed reading bull ****, plenty of that going around here.

the topic you're debating serves what purpose? will it change anything? can you change the past? if not, then the topic/debate is useless and nothing more then bull ****.

carry on, carry on.

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I am. you're correct. I come to read the bull **** and in some cases read about the team GOING FORWARD. but, as obsession is, some are obsessed with the past, can't let go and some are obsessed reading bull ****, plenty of that going around here.

the topic you're debating serves what purpose? will it change anything? can you change the past? if not, then the topic/debate is useless and nothing more then bull ****.

carry on, carry on.

Debating moves the team has made (or chose not to make) is one of the biggest things people do in regards to sports talk.

People learn from the past.

Discussing if it was a good move or not, and assessing the trade after some time has passed, is useful.

We can assess what it did for the team's future, in this case freeing much needed cap space being used by a player who wasn't contributing, as well as removing a locker room cancer (in the eyes of many) which helps the roster going forward (removing negativity, showing other players and teams that we mean business and aren't a joke)

Also, debating it and reflecting on it later down the road can teach things, like if it was a poor trade /roster move (aka trading up for losman, Sammy, or just taking ej early) let's you try to not make similar mistakes again.

Do you never reflect on past decisions in your life?

You always "move forward"?

I doubt that.

I don't see how us debating a player trade affects you or your viewing of any other topics, you are the one choosing to ride this thread.

You just sound like a cranky old man yelling at the tree in his front yard.

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

Lack of conditioning? Aside there being no proof at all. He would be responsible for his own conditioning, it's no one's responsible except his own.

I agree it’s on him.  The point is that several different coaching staffs didn’t/don’t think that he’s an every down player.  So that means everybody is treating him like a nobody

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

So you’ve never posted about a Bills player who left the team, right? I doubt that. 

And what do you have for Dareus anyway?  Sure he's gone, but he's the one who brought up the Bills and how they allegedly disrespected him.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree 100%. This idea that a new staff should tolerate a career malcontent in the midst of establishing their own culture of 100% buy-in is absurd. Their is no “maximizing” value in that scenario. None.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Why post about anything then?  Just let the board close.

People here opine about Bills stuff.  An ex-player criticizing the team is a subject to opine upon.

• Like (+1) 1

He acted and starting performing like a nobody.  If he was playing to the same level he was signed at this would be a non story.  You can get away with all the other stuff if Sunday's for 3 hours you are one of the best players on the field.  When you are not meeting your performance expectations the other things become a problem.  He has steadily declined in performances for 2 years and his diva tactics wore bare.