Romo/Nance Announcing Team

Irv

I thought Tony Romo did a great job yesterday and all year long.  In my opinion, the combo of Nance and Romo is right up there with the all-time best.  Romo a) knows what he is talking about, b) is not afraid to say it when players do well/screw up,  and c) has a great, down-home delivery.  The other thing I like is that he is not too technical that you can't understand him.  While I love Kelso, sometimes I get lost in all the football jargon.  I wonder if Jay Cutler will be similar to Romo?  Let's hope so.   

• Like (+1) 4

I was at the game so I didn't listen to the broadcast and I didn't record it and it was such a boring game I don't plan on re-watching, but I'm curious... how critical were they of Taylor?

From my seat it looked like there were open receivers on plays where Taylor threw it away. Did they mention that on the broadcast?

Romo has been a great addition to commentary, he is already one of the best ever for my 40 years of watching.

Nantz is a passive nothing of an announcer that was being dragged down by Simms.

4 minutes ago, fridge said:

I was at the game so I didn't listen to the broadcast and I didn't record it and it was such a boring game I don't plan on re-watching, but I'm curious... how critical were they of Taylor?

From my seat it looked like there were open receivers on plays where Taylor threw it away. Did they mention that on the broadcast?

He was more critical than most, highlighting specific weak areas if his game.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

I like Romo for his knowledge of the game over people who think they know the game.  

He's honest in his calls and tells you who missed what.  

I see nothing wrong with that. 

I find it incredibly refreshing. If the commentators aren't giving me tools to help better understand the game, I'd rather they just not be there. That's why I like Romo. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

I thought Tony Romo did a great job yesterday and all year long.  In my opinion, the combo of Nance and Romo is right up there with the all-time best.  Romo a) knows what he is talking about, b) is not afraid to say it when players do well/screw up,  and c) has a great, down-home delivery.  The other thing I like is that he is not too technical that you can't understand him.  While I love Kelso, sometimes I get lost in all the football jargon.  I wonder if Jay Cutler will be similar to Romo?  Let's hope so.   

1.  Love the combo of Romo and Nantz

2.  Love Romo

3.  Nantz is spelled Nantz not Nance

4.  I NEVER want to listen to a word out of Cutler's mouth

2 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

I find it incredibly refreshing. If the commentators aren't giving me tools to help better understand the game, I'd rather they just not be there. That's why I like Romo. 

Agreed

Romo's....ability?...to say the truth about what is happening is refreshing. So tired of the hedging on guys: 

"He missed that throw, but ya know...the sun was in his eyes and earth's axis tilted 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% during that play."

Nantz said "McCoy" when he was referring to Taylor. It was just once, but I thought it was funny because when a female announcer did it, people got on her case.

In general, Nantz is a good play-by-play announcer. Romo is quickly becoming my favorite color guy.

One thing I liked about both of them was when they were discussing the final interception and whether it should be overturned. Frankly, I thought it was a clean pick - the ball moved, but it sure looked like his hand was under it. Either way, it wasn't conclusive. Romo said, "Well it's inconclusive, so they shouldn't overturn it." Nantz replied, "They've been  doing it all season!" I wonder if he'll get a nasty note from the league for that.

1 hour ago, Badthingsman said:

Absolutely agree.  Romo is the best analyst around.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Romo is good.

i think anyone who thinks Nantz is good has never heard him call a Pats game.

Nantz does the drone work well, he doesn't interject himself into the call at all.

1 hour ago, fridge said:

He repeatedly explained on the replays that receivers were open but the qb didn't come close to recognizing it. He was diplomatic and not harshly critical. He showed on the replays that the receivers were open but TT couldn't see it. 

From an offensive standpoint this was a garbage game. If you had no association with either team this game was not only not entertaining but was painful to watch. I  thought that both Nance and Romo handled this drudgery with class and patience.   

Romo needs some polishing, but gives excellent analysis and really helps the common fan understand what is going on. I also like how he is not afraid to throw guys under the bus when they make mistakes. He'll call then out and say exactly what they did wrong. He does it in a way that is not condescending, too.

I think he'll get better with time and will go down as one of the best ever. I wonder if he'll ever go coach, though.

2 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

Yup, I totally agree.  Romo is excellent to listen to.  (Can't believe I'm saying that)  He and Nance are A+ together.

8 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Yup, I totally agree.  Romo is excellent to listen to.  (Can't believe I'm saying that)  He and Nance are A+ together.

a few podcasters like Simmons warned us that Romo would be this good just by watching games with him in a living room the prior season

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Jay Cutler in the broadcast booth would probably be amazing.

Yeah, I can see it now......When the QB does something wrong you're going to hear Cutler turn to the play by play caller and say "here, hold my cigarette, I need to run down to the field and show him how to run that play".

2 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

Romo is fantastic.

I feel the same way I used to feel listening to Tim McCarver do baseball games.  I often seemed to learn something and enjoy their insight.

12 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Yeah, I can see it now......When the QB does something wrong you're going to hear Cutler turn to the play by play caller and say "here, hold my cigarette, I need to run down to the field and show him how to run that play".

lol... I’m thinking he wouldn’t say a word, except when prompted to by the play-by-play announcer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sodbuster said:

Even when the game is "all but over "he will entertain us with football and not squirrels or pigeons or candy wrappers on the field (or dildo's)

4 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

I hate Nantz he made a comment yesterday that really irritated me but forgot what it as just that he is a jerk

15 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

I hate Nantz he made a comment yesterday that really irritated me but forgot what it as just that he is a jerk

Nantz's worst is the trio for college hoops, he just says what we can see, Hill yells out someone dunked it and the old senile fool says "babalefjiaefoajseofoiQ!!!!!!!" and people worship this nonsense....

Romo does a great job explaining what some of the strategy of the game. For example: "Jacksonville is playing cover 4, therefore the Bills will want to look for an out-pattern".

Maybe you all feel differently, but it seems to me that Romo wants to see the Bills do well.

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

Romo does a great job explaining what some of the strategy of the game. For example: "Jacksonville is playing cover 4, therefore the Bills will want to look for an out-pattern".

Maybe you all feel differently, but it seems to me that Romo wants to see the Bills do well.

he did comment many times that in cover 4 we had chances deep but Tyrod doesn't see coverages