[Please Change Title]Zay Jones

chef4131

4 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Hard to evaluate wrs when you have tyrod [hardly]throwing you the ball

He has one of the lowest catch percentages ever and pff has him ranked last of all of the eligible WR. Thompson and Benjamin are so much better than Zay. I don’t want to be a hypocrite because I loved the pick but he has been awful. He can’t get open and can’t catch. I’m not ready to give up on him but he’s been terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So your theory is that he's been demoted because of Tyrod? Lame excuse and blame shifting.

No not making an excuse for Zay but when your comparing him to other wrs who clearly have a better qb throwing him the ball, it's hard to compare. Zay has had some bad hands this year for sure.. 

But look at goodwin this year compared to playing with tyrod etc...

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

No not making an excuse for Zay but when your comparing him to other wrs who clearly have a better qb throwing him the ball, it's hard to compare. Zay has had some bad hands this year for sure.. 

Deonte Thompson sure seems to have no problem catching passes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So your theory is that he's been demoted because of Tyrod? Lame excuse and blame shifting.

That is fair and he's been bad, no doubt.   But how many WRs look good with Tyrod? The NFL is filled with ex Bills WRs playing big roles on other teams.

i think it all came down to confidence with Zay and he lost it. I also know it doesn't help your confidence when you get 1 or 2 accurate balls thrown your way all game.  Tyrod has some strengths but he does not elevate his WRs. 

18 minutes ago, chef4131 said:

I understand a rookie season does not a career make but Bills moved up in round 2 to pick Zay.    JuJu went late second round and Cooper Kupp early in round 3.

I LOVED Juju.  He's a stud.  But those guys have 1 and 2 WRs who help them get open.  You aren't getting as open with Jordan Matthews as your 1.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Tyrod is a factor, but you're forgetting to account for Kyle Shanahan's offense as opposed to Hackett's Roman's,  and Dennison's.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

To all the Tyrod apologists in this thread

I'm not blaming tyrod for his bad hands although I'm sure at least a few were because of bad throws I blame tyrod for bad stats (yards, catches) etc for all wrs especially when your comparing these stats against his peers on other teams 

Edited by Mrbojanglezs

if you have Tom Brady throwing you the ball then even Chris Hogan looks like a pro bowler.  if you have Tyrod throwing you the ball then good luck.  in the NFL you never get wide open so you need a QB that can fit it into those tiny windows when you do get a little separation.  hard to evaluate a WR when you don't have a QB that can get them the ball.

Just now, kdiggz said:

if you have Tom Brady throwing you the ball then even Chris Hogan looks like a pro bowler.  if you have Tyrod throwing you the ball then good luck.  in the NFL you never get wide open so you need a QB that can fit it into those tiny windows when you do get a little separation.  hard to evaluate a WR when you don't have a QB that can get them the ball.

How did Watkins look in 2015?

As for the drops, he seems to be getting out physicalled out there.  he needs to hit the weight room in the offseason.  it's a big step from a small college program to the NFL.  he might not have been prepared physically for the challenge.  hit the weights, become more physical, get a better QB and then lets see where he's at

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I must have missed this great pro bowl season that Sammy Watkins never had.  the 4th overall pick in the draft better make multiple pro bowls and yet here we are

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

As for the drops, he seems to be getting out physicalled out there.  he needs to hit the weight room in the offseason.  it's a big step from a small college program to the NFL.  he might not have been prepared physically for the challenge.  hit the weights, become more physical, get a better QB and then lets see where he's at

I must have missed this great pro bowl season that Sammy Watkins never had.  the 4th overall pick in the draft better make multiple pro bowls and yet here we are

Nice way to not answer the question.  60 catches for 1047 yards with 9 TDs.   Pretty lousy huh?  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Really good but those weren't precision type passes. There were a lot of just chuck it up and have Sammy come down with it, which is Tyrod's best pass.

i posted it before but Chris Hogan had more YAC in 2016 than Sammy did in his last 2 years here.

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Possibly so because Tyrod throws many uncatchable balls.  Zay does appear to have the yips but how much has TT contributed to this?  Nobody has the answer.

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

Possibly so because Tyrod throws many uncatchable balls.  Zay does appear to have the yips but how much has TT contributed to this?  Nobody has the answer.

Lame excuses with Thompson and now Benjamin displaying none of these issues with drops.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

ITS ALL TYRODS FAULT! ?

Isn’t that why we lost Sammy?  He didn’t live up to expectations?

if Zay keeps up with his stone hands he’ll be traded or cut by the deadline in 18.   

So says my inside source.  

It’s not all Tyrods fault they lost and it’s not all Tyrods talent they won.  

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Well actually the average of uncatchable balls by Tyrod is ~20%.  

24 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Based on the assumption that Zay looks bad because of Tyrod - and another excuse often used that Tyrod looks bad based on receivers...

How convenient!  A circular argument for all occasions - one size fits all. 

When will folks finally stop settling for mediocrity and demand the Bills do BETTER - MUCH BETTER.

IMO The Bills gave Zay far to many chances this season. Taylor had another chance to prove he could be a legitimate NFL starting QB and he failed. All he proved is that he is an above average BACKUP QB.

Please, lets move on!

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I wanted JuJu. Just saying..

That’s why I am careful to criticize Zay too much because he’s the guy I liked there. JuJu is MILES ahead of him at this point. He is infinitely more explosive. Zay may be okay at some point but I will be really surprised if he ever catches (no pun intended) JuJu. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s why I am careful to criticize Zay too much because he’s the guy I liked there. JuJu is MILES ahead of him at this point. He is infinitely more explosive. Zay may be okay at some point but I will be really surprised if he ever catches (no pun intended) JuJu. 

If I was GM, we wouldve had Watson and JuJu with our first two picks. 

Probably the first year I could've saved this franchise. What a shame.

41 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That is fair and he's been bad, no doubt.   But how many WRs look good with Tyrod? The NFL is filled with ex Bills WRs playing big roles on other teams.

i think it all came down to confidence with Zay and he lost it. I also know it doesn't help your confidence when you get 1 or 2 accurate balls thrown your way all game.  Tyrod has some strengths but he does not elevate his WRs. 

Sometimes TT elevates his WRs.  When they jump at the ball thrown over them.  Actually that's rare because the ball is typically thrown WAY over them.

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Hard to evaluate wrs when you have tyrod [hardly]throwing you the ball

Especially considering Zay jones has the highest amount of targets, least about of catches, and highest amount of drops in the NFL, i wont blame tyrod for it.

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Lame excuses with Thompson and now Benjamin displaying none of these issues with drops.  

I really hope we keep both and work a Taylor  Benjamin game plan for Sunday 

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

1 hour ago, chef4131 said:

I understand a rookie season does not a career make but Bills moved up in round 2 to pick Zay.    JuJu went late second round and Cooper Kupp early in round 3.

Zay Jones had a rough year, made a bunch of rookie mistakes and I think sometimes that happens with small school products, especially when you have QB issues to boot. Schuster came from USC and then has a future HOF QB throwing to him, much different scenarios for both players imo.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Zay Jones had a rough year, made a bunch of rookie mistakes and I think sometimes that happens with small school products, especially when you have QB issues to boot. Schuster came from USC and then has a future HOF QB throwing to him, much different scenarios for both players imo.

I agree with part of this (not sure the USC guy is a future HOF QB) but yeah, sometimes the switch from a small school (where he was the focal point of the offense) to the NFL can have a negative impact on a rookie. I think that Carolina game really got into his head and has been something he's had to deal with all season. 

Fans of the game are starved for instant gratification and when it doesn't happen it doesn't take long for a group to start calling some kid a bust 15 games into his NFL career. And comparing him to guys like JuJu or Kupp isn't really fair considering the QBs those guys have throwing them the ball. Goff has taken a huge step forward and Roethlisberger has been a top 5 QB for years now.