Replay Rules

/dev/null

Can we have the people trumpeting the great call against Pittsburgh (as they did 100 times here last week) argue that they are always right by the rules, now that he Bills were screwed by replay officials calling whatever the frig they want for no reason at all and no accountability?

I hope all of you in the "get it right" crowd are happy with what replay has brought you.  Just another way to introduce arbitrary rules interpretations to the game, if not outright manipulation.   Officiating is worse than ever and replay is the direct cause.

• Like (+1) 1

NFL, please revamp your Instant Replay Policy !!!

Overall, I get it...getting the calls right is the main objective but your current policy is killing the spirit of the game and the fan experience.

Here are my thoughts & contentions to your policy:

1- The league is being way too technical in these reviews. Trying to make a decision on a play by watching it in super slow motion is a problem, what's a catch?

2.- When reviewing a play, watch at live speed (not slow motion) and make a decision. If inconclusive after viewing the play on the tablet at live speed, then the play should stand as called on the field.

3- The instant fan interaction suffers when everyone has to lie & wait for these scoring reviews to take place...hold your  cheers, wait for it, wait for it...the league is killing the fan experience.

So NFL powers to be, please revamp your Instant Replay Policy so I can enjoy the game again...

Signed, 

Loyal Fan :'(

2 hours ago, BuffaloWings said:

It was EXTREMELY close.

Because of that alone, they shouldn’t have overturned it.

I really was not extremely close.  If gained control with a foot in the air - which is a completely inconclusive decision by the league -  he still drug his foot before he went out, you can see the dirt flying. 

The ref on the field made the correct call. 

It's inexplicable.....if it was ruled incomplete and they came to that conclusion after the review I could possibly stomach it. But there is no !@#$ing way anyone with eyes can look at that play and say there was indisputable evidence that it wasn't a catch after they called it as such.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It's inexplicable.....if it was ruled incomplete and they came to that conclusion after the review I could possibly stomach it. But there is no !@#$ing way anyone with eyes can look at that play and say there was indisputable evidence that it wasn't a catch after they called it as such.

You haven't watched Pats* football in recent years, huh?  Par for the course.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Yup. Was a rough call. Lots of rough calls in every NFL game every week. Refs are human. Think you can do better?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Become-an-NFL-Referee

!@#$ off.

It wasn't the call ON the field. The problem was the secret viewing session in NYC. And yes, I could easily sit and watch replays to decide these challenged calls.

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

The fact that they initially called it a catch is part of the overall problem.  Anything in the endzone that is even close, they call it a TD knowing it will get automatically reviewed.  They seem to throw away the "indisputable evidence" part in these cases because of that.

Looking at the replay I think it was not a catch.  And if it was not in the endzone I don't think they overturn it, it was just too close.

Clearly they need to look at the "what is a catch" thing again this off season.  It clearly is broken the way it is.

9 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

How much of a bull **** call was this?

It looked like had control and got both feet in. Absolutely ridiculous that this call was overturned IMO.

Something really needs to be done about the awful NFL officiating. 

Looked like a TD to me and the Patriots' radio broadcast too. 

I wonder if all these issues could be solved if they just change the rules to even if the player is bobbling the ball, as long as the ball doesn’t hit the ground, it should be a catch...I mean if a baseball player can bobble the ball and it is still a catch, why should it be any different in the nfl- even if the player goes outta bounds? Just a thought

6 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

!@#$ off.

It wasn't the call ON the field. The problem was the secret viewing session in NYC. And yes, I could easily sit and watch replays to decide these challenged calls.

Wow, what holly jolly language you have there. You must have awesome wisdom and knowledge.

7 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Are you even a Bills fan? 

You aren't acting like one. lol

You're right. Most Bills fans take to whining and crying after a loss. 

So far questioned on fanhood and cussed at in this thread. No doubt by the clowns the fly through flaming tables. 

9 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

What's your address?

Really? That's what you comeback with? What's next? A mom joke?

9 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

What's your address?

Really? That's what you comeback with? What's next? A mom joke?

Here was the explanation from referee Craig Wrolstad:

Q: What was the conclusive evidence to overturn the call?

Wrolstad: When the receiver got confirmed control of the football, he was not able to get both feet down in bounds. So, his back foot was already off the ground and it stepped out of bounds. His firm control did not occur until after he had one foot off the ground.

Q: On replay, did you feel that was clear and obvious?

Wrolstad: It was clear and obvious that he did not have control of the ball until he brought it all the way down into his chest.

Q: Field judge Steve Zimmer pointed towards Benjamin’s feet after the play and he was the closest official. Was he consulted during that replay process to share what he saw?

Wrolstad: Well, he might share it with me before I go into the booth, but during the replay process, Steve is not consulted at that time.

Well when some idiots that are  sitting in their ivory tower in Manhattan with super slo-mo, and whatever else at their disposal. 

And, it still takes them minutes too reach their conclusion. And it is still wrong. Something is very wrong with the league.

Replay has it +\- but that call was over the top. Considering the Patriots and their rich history of always having the calls

go their way. Very suspect officiating to say the least. 

If that had been called incomplete on the play I would have been very upset. To say there was “conclusive evidence” that it was incomplete is pure BS. I wish the game had stayed closer so this would get MORE attention in the week to come. Anyone with ANY sense knows that was wrong, and a pivotal point in the game. (Along with the points awarded to the Pats when their WR wrapped up our DB who was trying to turn back to the ball.)That was just plain wrong. 

i'd have put the backups in when that happened. The NFL has made us playing the patriots basically an exhibition game they always win why bother risking our starters' health? 

Make a point of just giving them the game see how they like their ratings then.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

i'd have put the backups in when that happened. The NFL has made us playing the patriots basically an exhibition game they always win why bother risking our starters' health? 

Make a point of just giving them the game see how they like their ratings then.

agreed.

we need to see coaches gain some balls.

i will always give a **** ton of credit to wade phillips for leaving the field during the just give it to them game.

more coaches need to do this.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Bills WR Kelvin Benjamin told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that some Bills players on the sideline said, "only the Patriots could get a call like that" after Benjamin's touchdown was overturned late in the first half of Sunday's game.

Its a tough one, but having not seen the play til just now — it’s not as bad as what I read before.

its hard to tell if his foot is touching in the still frames but it seems clear it hits the ground out of bounds (which means it wasn’t touching before, unless the softest graze possible and the slightly coming up before going down again)

it probably shouldn’t be overturned but i don’t think calling it either way would be egregious. 

I do think that on some plays refs make the call that will obviously be reviewed when they aren’t 100% and then use a lower standard to overturn. I know that’s not proper but i do get the feeling that when in doubt there are guys that call the score or turnover and use the replay to simply make a call instead of indisputably overturning

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Its a tough one, but having not seen the play til just now — it’s not as bad as what I read before.

its hard to tell if his foot is touching in the still frames but it seems clear it hits the ground out of bounds (which means it wasn’t touching before, unless the softest graze possible and the slightly coming up before going down again)

it probably shouldn’t be overturned but i don’t think calling it either way would be egregious. 

I do think that on some plays refs make the call that will obviously be reviewed when they aren’t 100% and then use a lower standard to overturn. I know that’s not proper but i do get the feeling that when in doubt there are guys that call the score or turnover and use the replay to simply make a call instead of indisputably overturning

What happened to indisputable visual evidence where the call stands?