Woman killed & eaten by her pet pit bulls

\GoBillsInDallas/

Controversial subject.

Pit bulls are bred killing dogs.  No one knows what triggers them, which is what's scary.  They can be the most loveable, snuggly dogs for years, but it doesn't matter.  There's always that chance.  Yes - that chance applies to all dogs ... but it's far more (most) likely with a pit bull.

• Like (+1) 4

I remember once we did a community volunteer day at the Richmond SPCA, part of the 'job' was to play with the dogs.  There was a pit bull in one of the enclosures and she was just screaming for attention.  I went in and spent probably an hour just playing and hanging out with her, she was the sweetest, most docile dog i've ever enountered, but I'd be lying if i said i didn't have an uneasy feeling in the back of my brain.  I am glad i ignored that feeling that day

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Controversial subject.

Pit bulls are bred killing dogs.  No one knows what triggers them, which is what's scary.  They can be the most loveable, snuggly dogs for years, but it doesn't matter.  There's always that chance.  Yes - that chance applies to all dogs ... but it's far more (most) likely with a pit bull.

The need to ban a lot of dogs being bred, including pits, bulldogs (French and American), and so many more.

I love dogs as much as the next guy but we can have plenty of different dogs in this world without dogs that cannot live a prosperous life like a French bulldog and we don't need any more pits

The god damn hood rat mentality that having big pit bulls on 3" chain leashes makes you some sort of badass to walk them, well, hope this is a lesson. 

16 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I remember once we did a community volunteer day at the Richmond SPCA, part of the 'job' was to play with the dogs.  There was a pit bull in one of the enclosures and she was just screaming for attention.  I went in and spent probably an hour just playing and hanging out with her, she was the sweetest, most docile dog i've ever enountered, but I'd be lying if i said i didn't have an uneasy feeling in the back of my brain.  I am glad i ignored that feeling that day

That uneasy feeling is the probably your instinct that there's a predator nearby.  Thanks, Darwin.

• Like (+1) 2

Horribly sad story, I'd like to know all of the facts before passing any judgment.

Totally agree with Boyst that there are certain breeds of dog that just should not continue -- mostly for the animals' sake because the breeding techniques have resulted in terrible health and quality of life issues.

• Like (+1) 1

This has been in the news last 3 days. Lots of folks that know the woman and dogs swear there is just no way those dogs turned on her. Be interesting to see what an autopsy of the dogs reveals.

In terms of pits, we have a pit/boxer rescue that has been the most gentle, loving dog I have ever owned. Have never even heard the dog growl, and he shys away when other dogs yap or get aggressive with him.

Love that dog

33 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Dog owners think it's unusual to be killed and eaten by their pet.

Cat owners know their pets would kill and eat them on a whim if they could.

<_<Ain't that the truth... I walk down my hallway with a mask, resembling a face, on the back of my head! <_<

On another note...

I only have one request:

Their animals... I wish people would stop anthropomorphising.

We all must have too much time on our hands.

[I am just as guilty at times]

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

The god damn hood rat mentality that having big pit bulls on 3" chain leashes makes you some sort of badass to walk them, well, hope this is a lesson. 

I was considering a second dog and thought a rescue would be great.  Go to their sites and 80% are pit bulls.  And most didn't look cuddly

24 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

I was considering a second dog and thought a rescue would be great.  Go to their sites and 80% are pit bulls.  And most didn't look cuddly

Still get a rescue no matter what, even if you do not rescue a pit. Plenty of dogs need homes that are not pits

• Like (+1) 2

We've had our Ellie for 7 yrs now....got her out of the SPCA center in tonawanda.she loves the young kids when they come over for visits..walks are a must just like sleeping with me and my bride is......she's basically a larger version of our deceased Boston terrier..we raised both doggies from the puppy stage..no crates allowed,just attention,training and lots of love works wonders.....poodles..those are the biters

No such thing as a bad breed of dog IMO. A dog's tendencies are 99% attributable to its owner. For the last 5 years we've been getting Catahoula/bully mixes from a very solid line and they're great dogs. Zero aggression toward humans that don't otherwise warrant it. Tough, loyal, great hunting/guard dogs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

New just had a report that the dogs were crated outside and had little human contact and could have snapped due to treatment..friends say the dogs were so sweet and passive and the owner loved them and was very tight with them..something not adding up.

Apparently, they were crated outside for the past month or so by a caretaker who was watching them while the owner was out of town.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

No such thing as a bad breed of dog IMO. A dog's tendencies are 99% attributable to its owner. For the last 5 years we've been getting Catahoula/bully mixes from a very solid line and they're great dogs. Zero aggression toward humans that don't otherwise warrant it. Tough, loyal, great hunting/guard dogs. 

A girl in college had her leg torn off by a pair of rottweilers.  The owner had trained them as a pair of attack dogs, and didn't keep them properly secured, so they got loose, and made their way on campus.  Police had to shoot the dogs as the dogs charged them.  I always felt the (*^*&amp;%^&#036;^#owner should have been shot as well, and am generally of the opinion that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners...

But only generally, as I narrowly missed having my thigh ripped open by a rott I knew, and was familiar with me, and was well-trained and firmly led by a responsible owner...and just one time I turned my back on it and it came at me, and was brought up a foot short by its chain.  So sometimes, dogs just "go bad" - have bad days, a momentary lapse, a spurious impulse, whatever.

Mostly, though...bad dog indicates bad owner.

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

arghh, that makes more sense. TY

Probably important to point out, too, that the dogs didn't "kill and eat" the woman, necessarily.  They pretty certainly mauled her, out for a walk in the woods, and weren't found until the next day, when they were witnessed eating her.

So while literally true...it may not be a case of "killed her out of hunger."  Could be "killed her, were in the woods for a day, and eventually thought "We're hungry...and fresh meat..."

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

A girl in college had her leg torn off by a pair of rottweilers.  The owner had trained them as a pair of attack dogs, and didn't keep them properly secured, so they got loose, and made their way on campus.  Police had to shoot the dogs as the dogs charged them.  I always felt the (*^*&amp;%^&#036;^#owner should have been shot as well, and am generally of the opinion that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners...

But only generally, as I narrowly missed having my thigh ripped open by a rott I knew, and was familiar with me, and was well-trained and firmly led by a responsible owner...and just one time I turned my back on it and it came at me, and was brought up a foot short by its chain.  So sometimes, dogs just "go bad" - have bad days, a momentary lapse, a spurious impulse, whatever.

Mostly, though...bad dog indicates bad owner.

Good perspective. It's important to keep in mind that some dogs, similar to some humans (or any animal, really) are unpredictable by genetic default. Those, however, are the exception especially in the case of domesticated canines as they owe their existence as a species to the evolutionary conceit that they're useful to us in terms of work and companionship. Aggression toward humans in dogs is a generally a learned trait as it serves no function in our codependency.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

We've had our Ellie for 7 yrs now....got her out of the SPCA center in tonawanda.she loves the young kids when they come over for visits..walks are a must just like sleeping with me and my bride is......she's basically a larger version of our deceased Boston terrier..we raised both doggies from the puppy stage..no crates allowed,just attention,training and lots of love works wonders.....poodles..those are the biters

All dogs have the capability to bite, not just rotties, pits, etc

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

With all due respect, this is patently false.  While some of the dog's tendencies/behavioral traits can be attributed to ownership, the killer instinct is something that no amount of love can control.  Nor can the dog.

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Looks like we have a couple members/fans on here with good thought skill...this is why it was a trophy winning day for them....also,no such thing as a bad kid...just bad parents!

I will give you a participation trophy. You tried. Definitely not going to the winners circle, but you tried.  Bad kid.

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

Maybe if they have a chemical imbalance.. But for the most prisons/jails are filled with people that had a tough life when they were growing up...poverty,broken home,sexual,drug and or physical abuse etc...

And the streets are filled with those people, too. What's your point?

#anothertrophy4u

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

With all due respect, this is patently false.  While some of the dog's tendencies/behavioral traits can be attributed to ownership, the killer instinct is something that no amount of love can control.  Nor can the dog.

I have been a dog person, and have been around dogs and dog people, my whole life. I don't believe dogs have a 'killer instinct', as it would be counterproductive to their evolutionary lot in life. Their species has been domesticated by humans in a way no other animal ever has before in history, and they've evolved/been bred to a point where their instincts and tendencies are reflexively beneficial to humans. They're no longer predators...we've adapted them to eat grain for crying out loud. A dog with a 'killer instinct' is either the product of his learned behavior or an evolutionary misfit.

Now, has selective breeding of dogs for aggression and physically intimidating characteristics like the pit bull increased certain breed's capacity for violence toward humans? Probably, but that isn't indicative of a lack of domesticity in the species...far from it: it's humans recognizing that the dog, for all intents and purposes, has lost whatever vestiges of its lupine ancestry predisposed it toward predatory behavior and are attempting (misguidedly, IMO) to reintroduce those characteristics in certain breeds.

• Like (+1) 2

Looks like we have a couple members/fans on here with good thought skill...this is why it was a trophy winning day for them....also,no such thing as a bad kid...just bad parents!

There's absolutely bad kids.  They are everywhere.

Maybe if they have a chemical imbalance.. But for the most prisons/jails are filled with people that had a tough life when they were growing up...poverty,broken home,sexual,drug and or physical abuse etc...

I currently know a people in my life who aren't in jail and have been involved with the bolded.  

I think everyone knows someone in their lives subjected to any of the above.