Tom Savage shakes after headshot, allowed to continue playing

Buddy Hix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4A21ZW6_f4

This clip is pretty scary in its own right. But to think that Savage was allowed to play the next series is criminally negligent IMO. The ref watched him shake from a headshot off the turf and doesn't have the ability to rule him out? How does the team let him play after seeing that?

I know he only threw a few passes in the next series before the Texans did the right thing but this is ridiculous.

Edited by Buddy Hix

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaM_YhgnPJQ

This clip shows the seizure (or whatever it was) better.

That's him doing weird things because he is knocked silly at that moment; I've seen guys hold up hands and do weird things while flat on their backs out cold.

The official is touching him and looking at his face; the fat that he somehow continued to play after that shows a flaw in the system; he should never have been allowed to remain on the field.

It just shows how often this sort of thing must have happened in past years, with the player remaining in the game.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

My son and I watched that and figured he'd be taken out immediately.  Dumb on their part to wait.

I know the concussion protocol is a work in progress but if the refs don't currently have the ability to rule a player out, they should. Implement training for officials to at least recognize symptoms and make recommendations for evaluations at bare minimum.

If Savage takes another blow after that he could be permanently disabled.

1 minute ago, MarkAF43 said:

Aren't there supposed to be independent spotters to take these guys out?  What happened??

Who knows?

Ref saw it, commentators saw it, everybody watching the broadcast saw it....and yet Savage was put in the next series.

13 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Who knows?

Ref saw it, commentators saw it, everybody watching the broadcast saw it....and yet Savage was put in the next series.

But that's what I don't get. I thought it was supposed to be independent so they weren't protecting the team and focusing on the player. Apparently more BS from the NFL on safety 

• Like (+1) 1

IMHO anybody arguing he wasnt that bad....guy for sure had something go haywire neurologically.   You would think a league that is paying out 700 million in settlements would be a little more careful.    Shazier is in a hospital right now....and nobody knows anything long term with him a week later.   No way Savage should of went back in.   Doesnt pass the eye test

3 hours ago, MarkAF43 said:

But that's what I don't get. I thought it was supposed to be independent so they weren't protecting the team and focusing on the player. Apparently more BS from the NFL on safety 

Or he passed a quick sideline evaluation but the league caught what happened shortly after? 

Edited by NoSaint

Neuroscience student - this is what you call a fencing response that's an easy way to localize damage into the brainstem

It's an ominous sign that is received after a concussion. Once the brainstem gets damage, your extensor muscles are contract because of a lack of input into the flexors. 

Worst of all, this is an UNCONSCIOUS response. The league deserves all sorts of negative publicity for this and its discontinued partnership with CTE research - far more than the **** show officiating and (imo) relatively-irrelevant anthem protests fueled by our assclown of a president.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

12 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Or he passed a quick sideline evaluation but the league caught what happened shortly after? 

The evaluation is supposed to include watching the tape of what happened. 

16 hours ago, MarkAF43 said:

Aren't there supposed to be independent spotters to take these guys out?  What happened??

They are extremely inconsistent in making the right decision on plays like this.

Michigan sent a QB back out a few years ago that didn't know what huddle to return to.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

They are extremely inconsistent in making the right decision on plays like this.

Michigan sent a QB back out a few years ago that didn't know what huddle to return to.

I thought it was weird in the Eagles game after Wentz was sandwiched in the end zone on the TD that was called back that he didnt get taken out, I thought after the next TD that they had shown he was taken into the sideline tent to be evaluated and thought he should have been after the hit  not after he finishes the drive. 

Basically, what is going to have to happen is the NFL will either have to get serious and have players checked and evaluated more often which will kids off the fans when players are being taken out to get checked all the time, or just say that it's a violent game and head injuries are going to happen, if tou want to make the money playing, your going to have to accept the consequences and risk your long term health.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

A few things. 

First, it wasn't a "head shot".

Second, he did go off, was examined by a non team independent neurologist and then allowed to go back in.  He was subsequently reassessed and taken out.

Then that guy needs to be fired, immediately.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why?  He was following the sideline e v a l protocol. 

Because if he were at his medical practice, taking care of you or I, he would be sued for malpractice. There is no way in hell that a medical professional would not face legal repercussions for that decision. It was medical malpractice regardless of NFL procedures. 

Just now, Mango said:

Because if he were at his medical practice, taking care of you or I, he would be sued for malpractice. There is no way in hell that a medical professional would not face legal repercussions for that decision. It was medical malpractice regardless of NFL procedures. 

You have no idea what you are talking about.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Not to sound snarky. What am I wrong about and why? 

How is what happened hear not negligence? How did the diagnoses not lead to putting Savage (the patient) at risk of further harm? I am asking genuinely. 

They are not going to yank out a star in a crucial moment of a big game.  He's going to have to be carried out in an iron lung and on a forklift.  We've seen half a dozen concussions ignored in the last few playoff runs. 

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not to sound snarky. What am I wrong about and why? 

How is what happened hear not negligence? How did the diagnoses not lead to putting Savage (the patient) at risk of further harm? I am asking genuinely. 

First, there was nothing "illegal" done, so no "legal repercussions" would apply.

Second, all sideline evaluators are likely given the same accepted protocol for examination of a player immediately after a hit like that.  It's likely a neuro check with a physical exam and questions/following commands.  If the player satisfies the criteria for re-entry, the neurologist tells the coach.  It is certainly likely that Savage was alert, responsive and appropriate during his exam and judged stable for re-entry. 

In order to prove malpractice, you would have to prove that the neurologist deviated completely from the standard of care that has been adapted for this specific scenario (i.e.: Savage was totally out of it when examined)---AND that his disregard for the standard of care and poor judgment led to damages in the patient/player.  None of these are true in this case, so...no malpractice.

You watching this on SportsCenter later in the day and saying "look---his hand is twitching for crissakes!!" doesn't really count as a neuro assessment.

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

First, there was nothing "illegal" done, so no "legal repercussions" would apply.

Second, all sideline evaluators are likely given the same accepted protocol for examination of a player immediately after a hit like that.  It's likely a neuro check with a physical exam and questions/following commands.  If the player satisfies the criteria for re-entry, the neurologist tells the coach.  It is certainly likely that Savage was alert, responsive and appropriate during his exam and judged stable for re-entry. 

In order to prove malpractice, you would have to prove that the neurologist deviated completely from the standard of care that has been adapted for this specific scenario---AND that his disregard for the standard of care and poor judgment led to damages in the patient/player.  None of these are true in this case, so...no malpractice.

You watching this on SportsCenter later in the day and saying "look---his hand is twitching for crissakes!!" doesn't really count as a neuro assessment.

I guess I am saying that while he followed NFL procedure, that does not mean he was following standard medical practice, which are two different things. I am also implying that I do not think that there was a "real" neuro assessment done because anything I read (I know internet is not always true) from neurologists say that during the convulsion he was also unconscious.