Hypothetically if Giants release Manning

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Would you want the Bills to claim him?

he would carry this year and next two under contract but would be able to move on from him at really any time. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning-4348/

Pass, he’s no better than Tyrod at this point. Tyrod has been more effective across the board for a year and a half. If you are looking for a vet break the bank for Cousins. If not, roll with the rookie and sign someone like Teddy Bridgewater.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I don't think this would ever happen, but yes I'd claim him. He'd be gone before it ever got to the Bills though. 

Yeah i could see CLE putting in a claim. They are going to sell that 1st overall anyway once they sign AJ McCarron in offseason

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Why?  Just roll with what we have and draft a QB.  Manning isn't that great.  He had a few really good years and that's about it.

Well reason is you can dump in at anytime for Nada. So it was more about win now. If he was released would you claim him for this year or better chance to make playoffs. Also have a vet for next year with no real financial tie

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He’s under contract for $18 Mil IIRC through 18.  

the Giants won’t eat that contract 

They save money against cap this year and next year and then free and clear of contract cutting him now just saying

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Well reason is you can dump in at anytime for Nada. So it was more about win now. If he was released would you claim him for this year or better chance to make playoffs with TT?

I think if we were to claim him it would be more about the future than the now.  I don't see him in the future.  The reason I say that is because it usually takes weeks to work into a new system and get some chemistry with a new team.  There are only 5 weeks left.  At best Eli would play 2 or 3 games with a limited play book.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

he would carry this year and next two under contract but would be able to move on from him at really any time. 

Don't think we have anywhere near a good enough O line to protect a QB like Manning. For all of Taylor's shortcomings, he can move. Manning would get constantly buried considering the holes we have on this O line.

Edited by buffalo2218

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I think if we were to claim him it would be more about the future than the now.  I don't see him in the future.  The reason I say that is because it usually takes weeks to work into a new system and get some chemistry with a new team.  There are only 5 weeks left.  At best Eli would play 2 or 3 games with a limited play book.  

Ok i get that argument however they are both Zone Run West Coast offenses so how much is different some terminology?

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

NOt worth the price which i imagine will be high for a QB ready to hang them up......apparently this is the draft to get a QB so trade up if need be and get one.....

Just now, JPP said:

NOt worth the price which i imagine will be high for a QB ready to hang them up......apparently this is the draft to get a QB so trade up if need be and get one.....

What price. I am talking about if they released him we claim him. Not trade for him

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Pass, he’s no better than Tyrod at this point. Tyrod has been more effective across the board for a year and a half. If you are looking for a vet break the bank for Cousins. If not, roll with the rookie and sign someone like Teddy Bridgewater.

I'll second this. I'd rather a rookie over an older QB who couldn't win with OBJ, Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard and Evan Ingram. Manning is 2-9 this year. Besides, he just got benched for Geno Smith :lol:

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Ok i get that argument however they are both Zone Run West Coast offenses so how much is different some terminology?

I honestly don't know.  I just know that every time I have seen a move like you are suggesting its a while before that player is able to contribute anything meaningful.  Its not a bad thought if he were released.  I just don't think he could contribute much this season and hopefully next season we will have drafted a stud.

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The last sentence here is really exactly what i want to do. Identify and get your Rookie and sign Bridgewater if health ok for the vet 

Just now, BobChalmers said:

There is no way Eli signs for some low salary.  He will cost more than TT in FA, and TT costs too much.

Does anyone know how freaking waiver works in NFL

if he is released tomorrow he is subject to waivers, hence all you have to do his claim him

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I'll second this. I'd rather a rookie over an older QB who couldn't win with OBJ, Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard and Evan Ingram. Manning is 2-9 this year. Besides, he just got benched for Geno Smith :lol:

To be fair, Manning hasn't had OBJ or Marshall for the majority of the year

Just now, buffalo2218 said:

To be fair, Manning hasn't had OBJ or Marshall for the majority of the year

Yep, and the list of players on IR this year for the Ginats is 17 players and growing. Nonetheless, they lost the first 5 in a row to the Cowboys, Lions, Eagles, Bucs and Chargers.

Manning is stinking it up and I kinda doubt a change of scenery will improve him at this point. I'd rather Kirk Cousins or a top 5 rookie in the 2018 draft. 

The only way I'd think about signing Eli is if his brother would come to Buffalo to coach. 

I wouldn't mind the idea but I think he might be getting ready to retire, and I would rather go with a young QB option

Cousins will be out there, and it looks like the obvious landing spot in SF is now taken. He'll have options, but the Bills could be one of the better ones. Maybe Denver or Arizona but there won't be many other landing spots that are even somewhat attractive. I think the Bills will be top 3.

Just now, Nihilarian said:

Yep, and the list of players on IR this year for the Ginats is 17 players and growing. Nonetheless, they lost the first 5 in a row to the Cowboys, Lions, Eagles, Bucs and Chargers.

Manning is stinking it up and I kinda doubt a change of scenery will improve him at this point. I'd rather Kirk Cousins or a top 5 rookie in the 2018 draft. 

The only way I'd think about signing Eli is if his brother would come to Buffalo to coach. 

Yeah I'd take my chances with Cousins as well before Manning. But to bring in any QB that doesn't have escapability would mean drafting nothing but O line in the first round. Well at least one O lineman, still have other big holes to fill

13 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

To me, at least, this would feel a lot like when we signed Bledsoe. That's not a good thing.

That's what I was thinking.  We'd be looking at double-a-gap blitzes for two years and then restarting with the cupboard bare once again.

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

his best days are behind him and he should just hang them up. he had a pretty good career with a couple rings to boot!

Eli was always in the shadow of Peyton.  The Manning name gave Eli more than he deserved lately.  

Age got to him faster.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1