Week 10: Saints' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced with Gaines Out

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, it's always easier to say than to do...I actually think that Buffalo's back-7 is fairly well-equipped to match up with NO's passing game.

I'm much more worried about their ability to hold up against the run.  The Dareus trade left them without a bona fide run-stopper in the middle, and teams know it.

No doubt about that from my perspective.  They will also be tested in the passing game with Kamara and Fleener matching up against Bills' LBs.

I know others have asked but I will ask again: Does anyone know if there is a reason this thread is not pinned?  Like many others I am sure, I use this thread as a go to each week for the latest information on the coming game and some reasonable conversation.  It is a pain to have to hunt for it.  

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Speaking of QB pressure or lack thereof:

Yeah our lack of pressure's been worrying me - that's a big reason why we're 26th in passing D in the league. Hughes and Lawson needs to do more. 

New Orleans Saints (6-2) at Buffalo Bills (5-3)

Sunday, 1 p.m., Fox

Against the Jets, the Bills suddenly forgot how to protect Tyrod Taylor, and that weakness exposed all the other weaknesses in this offense. They should get Kelvin Benjamin this week following the too-short turnaround after his trade. They at least should be more of a challenge to a Saints defense that has performed well against some … questionable opposition the last three weeks (Brett Hundley, Mitchell Trubisky, an injured Jameis Winston/Ryan Fitzpatrick).

Prediction: Saints, 26-23

11-7: Travaris Cadet on the John Murphy Show (14:47)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

New Orleans Saints (6-2) at Buffalo Bills (5-3)

Sunday, 1 p.m., Fox

Against the Jets, the Bills suddenly forgot how to protect Tyrod Taylor, and that weakness exposed all the other weaknesses in this offense. They should get Kelvin Benjamin this week following the too-short turnaround after his trade. They at least should be more of a challenge to a Saints defense that has performed well against some … questionable opposition the last three weeks (Brett Hundley, Mitchell Trubisky, an injured Jameis Winston/Ryan Fitzpatrick).

Prediction: Saints, 26-23

11-7: Travaris Cadet on the John Murphy Show (14:47)

Frankly I am ok with being the underdog.....

and of course the only thing they are focusing on is Kelvin Benjamin....we we might actually get back EJ Gaines and Clay as well

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, it's always easier to say than to do...I actually think that Buffalo's back-7 is fairly well-equipped to match up with NO's passing game.

I'm much more worried about their ability to hold up against the run.  The Dareus trade left them without a bona fide run-stopper in the middle, and teams know it.

But how did we manage to stop other run teams when Dareus only played 1/4 of the snaps? I think we have the horses. We just have to adjust what we've been doing.  The other part answer is keeping the ball away from the Saints offense. Ball possession with KB!

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But how did we manage to stop other run teams when Dareus only played 1/4 of the snaps? I think we have the horses. We just have to adjust what we've been doing.  The other part answer is keeping the ball away from the Saints offense. Ball possession with KB!

I don't have the stat in front of me, but I believe that the run defense averaged a yard-and-a-half less per carry with Dareus on the field than they did without him.

4 hours ago, CanadianFan said:

Yeah our lack of pressure's been worrying me - that's a big reason why we're 26th in passing D in the league. Hughes and Lawson needs to do more. 

....why is that?....what Frazier afraid of?........Schwartz did a fine job mixing in blitzes when he was here........unless I've been sleeping, don't recall much from Frazier.....

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Another poor performance like that and the crticisms of McBeane about trading Dareus in the middle of a good season will be out in full force.... yea I know, Dareus sucks and is a fat piece of **** who didn't even play a quarter of the snaps when he was here.?

as he should be. I like what he's been doing but that is one move he could of waited until the off season, in my opinion.

ESPN: Saints' most complete team in years a contender in wide-open NFC

With Drew Brees leading the offense and defensive MVP candidate Cameron Jordan on the other side, the Saints are a Super Bowl threat.

ESPN: What We Learned: The case for Sean McDermott as Coach of the Year

McDermott's case was stronger a week ago, before the Bills committed 11 penalties and doubled their season turnover total in a Thursday night loss to the Jets.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Saints vs. Bills Week 10 game preview  (2:29)

Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks preview the Week 10 matchup between the New Orleans Saints and the Buffalo Bills.

John Breech (CBS Sports) Week 10 Picks: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-10-picks-bills-upset-saints-broncos-stun-patriots-in-denver/

NFL Week 10 Picks: Underdog edition

New Orleans (6-2) at Buffalo (5-3)

1 p.m. ET (Fox)

The Bills are the only team in the AFC that's still undefeated at home this year and I'm guessing it's because the bus ride from the visiting team's hotel to the stadium is the most intimidating 15-mile ride in the NFL. First, you have to go 14 miles through Buffalo, and then if that's not enough to make you want to forfeit the game, you have to drive by all the insane tailgaters at New Era Field. 

I mean, how are you supposed to concentrate on football when you see fans setting themselves on fire and jumping through tables. 

There's a good chance Bills fans won't actually be able to set themselves on fire this week and that's because it looks like there's going to be low temperatures and rain, according to the weather app on my phone, which is only right about 60 percent of the time. 

The temperature is supposed to be in the low 40s, which I'm only mentioning because Drew Brews never has to play in temperatures that low. Since joining the Saints in 2006, Brees has only played a total of 11 regular season games when the temperature is 45 degrees or below and he's 4-7 in those games. Oh, and he hasn't played in a game this cold since 2014. The Saints are basically an indoor cat that's being let outside in cold weather this week and that never seems to work out well for the cat. 

The pick: Bills 20-17 over Saints 

Pete Prisco's Picks: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/writers/prisco/picks

Saints 23 Bills 20

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Week 10 Odds CBS Sports: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-10-odds-winless-49ers-open-as-favorites-cowboys-open-as-underdogs/

Saints (6-2) at Bills (5-3)

Opening line: Saints, -2.5 points

This has been one of the most lopsided series between an AFC team and an NFC team in recent NFL history. Since the turn of the century, the Saints have gone 4-0 against the Bills and have outscored them 105-37. The Saints will come into this game as one of the hottest teams in the NFL against the spread, going 6-0 ATS during their six-game winning streak. Overall, the Saints are 6-2 ATS this season, which is tied for the second-best mark in the NFL. Of course, that doesn't mean you should count out the Bills. For one, Buffalo is 5-1-1 ATS in its past six games against NFC teams (5-2 straight up). Also, the Bills are unbeaten at home this year both straight up (4-0) and ATS (3-0-1). 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....why is that?....what Frazier afraid of?........Schwartz did a fine job mixing in blitzes when he was here........unless I've been sleeping, don't recall much from Frazier.....

Frazier has NEVER been an aggressive, blitz-happy DC.  That is one of the things that is surprising about McDermott...He learned DC in a crazy blitz-happy scheme from Jim Johnson.  I wish they'd bring a little more.  I can't remember the last time I saw even a fake double-a-gap look.

I feel good about this game for two big reasons. 

The Bills are home, see there's a high of 43 predicted for a dome team, that should help

2nd thing is NO has won 6 straight, rarely these days do teams win 7 in a row as there just isn't that big of a difference between the best team and the worst team in the league.  So that I feel favors the Bills.

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Yeah I don't get it. And when we've blitzed we weren't getting there either in the last couple of games I've watched. I just don't think he does it very well. I don't think our front 4 is as dominant as it was under Schwartz so they aren't getting that pressure now. It's coaching and schemes man. Great coaches know how to hide your weaknesses. They've done a good job in first 7 games. Let's see how great our coaches are going forward.

1 hour ago, CanadianFan said:

Yeah I don't get it. And when we've blitzed we weren't getting there either in the last couple of games I've watched. I just don't think he does it very well. I don't think our front 4 is as dominant as it was under Schwartz so they aren't getting that pressure now. It's coaching and schemes man. Great coaches know how to hide your weaknesses. They've done a good job in first 7 games. Let's see how great our coaches are going forward.

The front seven will definitely be addressed this April in the draft. We have to replace Dareus and maybe Kyle. We'll need a supplemental pass rusher to help Shaq. I don't see Lorax back either. 

6 hours ago, JM57 said:

Finally a ref I actually respect after getting two clown princes back to back in Hochuli and Boger

Terry M is good and fair. Shouldn't have to worry too much about his crew.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Brees’ went to Purdue. I don’t think it’s really about him and the cold. 

He's played in San Diego and NO since then. He's been conditioned like many others on his team.

How much effect it has, who knows. The cold affects anyone's game, though.

14 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

From what I've seen, a lot of the reason that the team's pass defense has been successful at every layer of the field results from how effective the LBs have been at limiting passing windows with their zone drops.

As you guys well know: one fewer LB in the intermediate zones means more space to throw the ball.

I think they'll blitz when they feel they have to and no more often than that--it's one of the things I'm most interested in seeing in the next few weeks.  How they approach defending the guys like Brees/Smith/Rivers/Brady, who are more than happy to slink around the pocket for as long as it takes, will tell me a lot about their overall philosophy toward managing the talent they have on the 53.

This game is likely going to come down to our D-line winnings one on one matchups both in the run game and the pass rush game...if we can do that semi-effectively we should disrupt their offense.  Simply said, but harder to do. A wrinkle or two that we haven't yet put on tape on both sides of the ball could really help swing the game in our favor too (cough cough: screen pass, reverse, more d-line stunts)

Bills' Insider Chris Brown and Head Coach Sean McDermott talk about the addition of Wide Receiver Kelvin Benjamin, varying strengths of the defense during the first half of the season, and facing another tough offense on Sunday against the Saints at New Era Field.

TOP 7 STORYLINES FOR THE BILLS-SAINTS THIS WEEK

1108-top-storylines.jpg

The Bills have a four-game winning streak at home. The Saints have a six-game winning streak overall. One of the streaks will end on Sunday when the teams meet at New Era Field.

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The front seven will definitely be addressed this April in the draft. We have to replace Dareus and maybe Kyle. We'll need a supplemental pass rusher to help Shaq. I don't see Lorax back either. 

Terry M is good and fair. Shouldn't have to worry too much about his crew.

I agree. McAulay is one of the refs where I feel as though if his crew throws a lot of flags, they are justified as opposed to Hochuli who throws flags to hear himself talk. 

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

is this just a rest day for Glenn? Or is he still butthurt from the whooping he took on Thursday? Is being embarrassed on national TV reason enough to miss practice? 

Still recovering from two games in 5 days is my guess.

I guess I'm a homer but I'm having a hard time understanding why the Bills are an underdog this week.  4-0 at home, and the Saints' wins are just as unimpressive as the Bills' are.  Add in the weather and Brees' relative lack of success in the cold, and I just don't get it.

I'll be plunking a few $$ down on the moneyline for sure.