Make the cuts to get the comp pick

The juice

People complaining about Team Chemistry? No one is going to miss Davis. We just brought in a new WR: Benjamin, Mattews, Jones will be the 1-2-3. So no need for Holmes. I wouldn't mind cutting the FB DeMarco but Ducasse isn't exactly impressive.

Right. No need for Holmes. Players don't get injured. Ever.

The dude does his job and has helped this team win football games. You don't cut a guy helping you win football games.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you are hung up on these comp pics. They don't need them. You keep the players that fit your system.

Taylor fits this system and is playing great, you surround him with talent and develop Peterman behind him this team is going to be solid.

I have always wanted the comp picks, but at this stage with the team having a legit shot at the playoffs and with Davis and Holmes unlikely to clear waivers, I say "Pass" and go into next years draft with one 3rd rounder less. The only exception would be if Davis and / or Holmes were to be injured or something (meaning no team would pick em off the waiver wire). Then I will revisit this prior to week 10.

It would, essentially, be trading those three for Benjamin. Which is a huge win still... but I agree they wont do it to avoid upsetting the balance and atmosphere we seem to have (well, that and no gm does this ever despite a full offseason talking about the big week 9 cuts)

I mean, if you look at it that way trading those 3 for Benjamin is a good trade.

But of course they will have a better team for this year, if they have Benjamin and keep those 3 guys.

Short term it is better to have all of them.

Future it is better to cut those 3 guys and get the draft pick.

So it really depends how you want to look at it

Edited by billsfan11

OP and some other posters: Let's relax a bit.

You're ready to get rid of pieces that helped you get to where we are now.

Getting rid of those pieces might hurt the process and gain what? A mystery 3rd round pick. An unknown. A what if.

I don't agree with getting rid of Holmes and I can't believe I'm saying this but, Ducasse has shown major growth in the 2 games he started. It may be that the Bucs and Raiders Dlinemen going up against Ducasse was just plain old bad but I don't study enough gameplay to give a fair assessment of that situation.

We still have two 1sts, two 2nds and a handful more picks in next year's draft. We "added" a piece to the puzzle. No need to go and remove pieces for a 3rd round pick.

OP and some other posters: Let's relax a bit.

You're ready to get rid of pieces that helped you get to where we are now.

Getting rid of those pieces might hurt the process and gain what? A mystery 3rd round pick. An unknown. A what if.

I don't agree with getting rid of Holmes and I can't believe I'm saying this but, Ducasse has shown major growth in the 2 games he started. It may be that the Bucs and Raiders Dlinemen going up against Ducasse was just plain old bad but I don't study enough gameplay to give a fair assessment of that situation.

We still have two 1sts, two 2nds and a handful more picks in next year's draft. We "added" a piece to the puzzle. No need to go and remove pieces for a 3rd round pick.

Ducasse (and the rest of the O-Line) look better because they've backed away from the zone blocking scheme, and that's a good thing.

I'm not a fan of cutting for the pick.

Holmes costs more cap space to cut as he's on a 3 year deal - makes me think they never really wanted to cut him - and he's a special teamer.

Dimarco is the starting fullback, and has been helping our run game get going recently.

Haushka is the only kicker on the roster...

Davis is a core rotational pass rusher - we only have 4 on the team.

Ducasse is starting at RG and currently playing better than he did all year.

When we thought the team was going to be 4-12 we all thought, what difference will these guys make? At this point, they're making enough difference's to keep on the roster.

I am at a point with current management where there is no point to offer up what i think they should and shouldnt do. They have earned the right for me for me to hold off until the offseason and talk about the draft, FAs etc. I wouldnt have traded Sammy, and i wouldnt have traded Darby. At the start of the season, i couldnt imagine them trading Marcel. I think these guys know what they are doing so for me its time to sit back and just assume what they do as probably a good decision...a foreign but wonderful place to be. enjoy the ride

Incorrect. Comp picks can be traded. That said, there is far too much obsession about compensatory picks.

I loved Beane's response when one of the local reporters asked him about whether the Bills are evaluating the comp pick scenario after the KB trade.

<shrug> "No, that doesn't play into it" or something like that.

:thumbsup:

Usually, this type of thread is ridiculous. However, in this case I get why some are looking at this as a real possibility, and thats because it is given the amount of players we signed. That doesn't make it a good idea necessarily though.

Ducasse, no way should we be cutting a starter on our OL right now. He may not be world beating, but that means the guy behind him is worse. The last thing we need to do is weaken our OL and he WILL get claimed. Holmes is still a guy with value at depth, ST and has rapport with TT. Injuries have plagued the WR group the last few years, we shouldn't thin it out now that we have strengthened it. Davis, well thats no biggie, doubt he would get claimed and we could resign him.

So I don't think it was a crazy to explore, but just don't see how a 3rd thats essentially a 4th is worth losing a guy on ST who provides depth at WR and a starting OL player. I would bet Bene feels the same way.

PS: One thing being overlooked by those who want to do it. We have a LOT of draft picks already in the next draft. We have a pretty talented roster overall, its going to be harder for a 4th rounder to make this team next year than before and it will not be a slam dunk. They will have 5 players chosen ahead of that comp pick if we got it...plus more picks after and UDFA too, not to mention FA. That 4th next year (I know its a 3rd, but comes at end, so basically a 4th) will have even less value given how many rookies we will already be bringing in both ahead of them and overall. We wont be an easy roster for them to make, so to cut a depth guy and 2 contributing players this year for a coin flip prospect next year just doesn't fit the plan for a team pushing to both make the playoffs, and maybe even win the division this year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

So it's the FB not the OLine that's gotten the running game in order? lol Not to mention they've played the two worst defenses they have the whole year the last two weeks. FBs are useless. You could easily put Tolbert in to block the first LB that breaks through.

Quick Quiz: How many FBs are currently in the league?

This shows a desperate lack of understanding of how a good run game works

Ducasse (and the rest of the O-Line) look better because they've backed away from the zone blocking scheme, and that's a good thing.

Replacing the turnstile of Miller with Ducasse has helped massively

• 2 weeks later...

Yep make the cuts 

buh bye

Ducasse

Davis 

Holmes

hello 3rd round pick 

17 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Bumping this topic .... is it too late to make comp pick cuts? Do we know exactly when the deadline is?

I think it is this week the deadline. Might have already passed though