Make the cuts to get the comp pick

The juice

Can we please stop this stupid ass discussion regarding comp picks? Seriously! Who cares? Let's win now and stop worrying about this crap 💩

If I told you that todays trade was Benjamin for holmes, ducasse and whoever the third guy would be i bet youd be ecstatic.

That said, its stoll very unlikely

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the guys you need to cut are contributing and you are 5-2 you ride it out with them. Based on what Beane just said in that press conference you always look at your season. If the Bills were 2-5 we would not have traded for Benjamin and you can bet they'd be shedding players for comp picks. What they did this offseason was give themselves the flexibility to go either way. Now they are reaping the rewards.

There is no way it makes sense to cut multiple players on a playoff-bound team for a draft pick NEXT YEAR. Create holes NOW on a tight-knit team, eliminate depth we'll probably need later in the season, "reward" players who have been making good contributions by cutting them -- you've got to be kidding.

Not sure how in the world this hasn't been posted in this thread.

Per Rodak: "If the Bills want to recoup a 2018 third-round pick, they have a chance to do so through the NFL's compensatory formula. The Bills would have to release three of their seven unrestricted free-agent signings from this offseason before their tenth game. The most likely candidates would be WR Andre Holmes, DE Ryan Davis and G Vlad Ducasse. That would give the Bills a net loss of free agents from this past offseason (4 signings, 5 losses) and put them in position to receive a third-round pick for their loss of CB Stephon Gilmore."

Yeah, definitely a no-go. They'd have to cut Ducasse (now a starter), Davis (part of DL rotation), and Holmes who stepped up last week.

And it's a compensatory pick which means it comes at the end of the round. Not something to go cutting productive players in order to get.

People complaining about Team Chemistry? No one is going to miss Davis. We just brought in a new WR: Benjamin, Mattews, Jones will be the 1-2-3. So no need for Holmes. I wouldn't mind cutting the FB DeMarco but Ducasse isn't exactly impressive.

Based on my understanding buffalo has to cut 3 free agents they signed yo get a 3rd round comp pick.

The formula need to be adjusted to factor in where the player was drafted and how much they signed for.

As for this trade it's now basically a 3rd and watkins for a 2nd, benjamin, and Gaines.

Just remember Benjamin is a receiver with size, but not speed. WatKINS had both.

People complaining about Team Chemistry? No one is going to miss Davis. We just brought in a new WR: Benjamin, Mattews, Jones will be the 1-2-3. So no need for Holmes. I wouldn't mind cutting the FB DeMarco but Ducasse isn't exactly impressive.

Davis has been a useful rotational edge rusher, Holmes has made better plays than Zay and JMatt so far, and Ducasse is now our starting RG. DiMarco is playing well too. just don't see it.

Edited by Big C

Based on my understanding buffalo has to cut 3 free agents they signed yo get a 3rd round comp pick.

The formula need to be adjusted to factor in where the player was drafted and how much they signed for.

As for this trade it's now basically a 3rd and watkins for a 2nd, benjamin, and Gaines.

Just remember Benjamin is a receiver with size, but not speed. WatKINS had both.

He is 6'1. Not exactly screaming size.

Davis has been a useful rotational edge rusher, Holmes has made better plays than Zay and JMatt so far, and Ducasse is now our starting RG. DiMarco is playing well too. just don't see it.

1. No Davis hasn't

2. Mattews has been better than Holmes. Plus you don't spend a 2nd round pick and give up on the player. Right now: Mattews, Benjamin, Jones are locked. Tate is there for Special Teams. Bills have Thompson, Holmes and can sign Streater. Holmes is expensable.

3. I'd rather see John Miller than Ducasse.

4. FullBacks aren't very important; plus the Bills have one pretending to be a backup RB right now

1. No Davis hasn't

2. Mattews has been better than Holmes. Plus you don't spend a 2nd round pick and give up on the player. Right now: Mattews, Benjamin, Jones are locked. Tate is there for Special Teams. Bills have Thompson, Holmes and can sign Streater. Holmes is expensable.

4. FullBacks aren't very important; plus the Bills have one pretending to be a backup RB right now

1. No Davis hasn't

6-2 is size compared to most CBS and he has speed.

The ideal combo or receiver is having watkins snd benjamin on the same team.

I could ser Holmes being cut and demarcation being cut but who would be 3rd??? They can cut players prior to I think it's week 10 then resign them and then get the comp pick.

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer

Asked about potential to recoup 2018 third-round pick with compensatory pick formula, Bills GM Brandon Beane says his focus is on beating the Jets on Thursday and continuing to win games after that. Signals that he won't be releasing signed free agents in order to work NFL's compensatory formula in their favor to get pick back for losing Stephon Gilmore this offseason.

Exactly what the response should be. Just win baby!!!

Beane has already proven that he's not going to dismantle a team just for draft picks.

But seriously, if they were 2-5 (like we all expected over the summer), there might be some discussion. But not when we're actually getting the most out of those guys.

1. No Davis hasn't

1. Davis has been playing about as well as you want your 3rd or 4th DE to be playing. Not a ton of splash plays - although the strip sack on Winston was awesome - but he contributes to the depth and I don't see where we improve our backup DE in the case we release him.

2. It's not a matter of who is better than who. Holmes has played well and should continue to play well, and we have him on the cheap for two more years. Look at how many pass catchers the Patriots and Steelers have.

3. You would rather watch our offense suffer then. Ducasse has been playing better than Miller, much to all of our chagrin, and he needs to stay in there now so the line can gel moving forward.

4. Fullbacks are unsung heroes and ours might be the best in the game right now. Tolbert playing pure fullback would be a downgrade there and because he is the backup to Shady I'm sure they don't want him out there laying blocks in between carries.

Losing your quality depth for one third round player doesn't make sense when your team is winning now and your depth players are on multi-year deals. However, if Beane chooses to go that route, I'll hear him out and expect the team to continue to play well.

I havent seen anyone mention we can cut any of those 3 or 4 guys and then resign them. The danger is someone claiming them off waivers. Bills FO has to figure out if anyone might snatch these guys if cut. I personally think its worth the risk. I would cut all of them on Friday and resign them as soon as possible early next week.