Play Calling Today

BillsFan130

I searched and did not see a thread about play calling, but if there is then please delete.

I thought offensively this was by far the best called game by Rico.

It really looked like he tried to implement things that worked well in the run game from previous years into this game plan.

And the end result?

Shady gets over 90 yards with 2 TD'S.

I for one have been very critical of Dennison the first 5 games as i think he completely destroyed the run game with his zone outside stretches and vanilla run plays.

But it was very nice to see him put his ego aside and make a game plan best suited for his team's strengths, rather then make a game plan based on his own style.

One decision that was very unusual and worked out great was the one play that Incognito got hurt on. They had to decide to play Groy or Dawkins at LG and remarkably, chose Dawkins. I doubt he had played one rep at LG in his career. He pulled, made a great cut block and Shady (I think) got about 10-12 yards running left. I couldn't believe they picked him and then it was a great call.

One decision that was very unusual and worked out great was the one play that Incognito got hurt on. They had to decide to play Groy or Dawkins at LG and remarkably, chose Dawkins. I doubt he had played one rep at LG in his career. He pulled, made a great cut block and Shady (I think) got about 10-12 yards running left. I couldn't believe they picked him and then it was a great call.

Was it the pitch play to the left on that 3rd and 1?

Was schit.

30 points (should have been 36 if it wasn't from special teams and poor clock management) and over 400 yards of offence wasn't good?..

It was a pitch and got a first down easily. I can't recall If it was 3rd and 1 but it was a great call and block and easy first down. I couldn't believe they put Dawkins there.

Ya I remember that. I really liked that play call. I believe they had a receiver in motion, going in the opposite direction as well

I searched and did not see a thread about play calling, but if there is then please delete.

I thought offensively this was by far the best called game by Rico.

It really looked like he tried to implement things that worked well in the run game from previous years into this game plan.

And the end result?

Shady gets over 90 yards with 2 TD'S.

I for one have been very critical of Dennison the first 5 games as i think he completely destroyed the run game with his zone outside stretches and vanilla run plays.

But it was very nice to see him put his ego aside and make a game plan best suited for his team's strengths, rather then make a game plan based on his own style.

I totally agree. And being more aggressive on 1st down, and letting TT use his legs more. TT's running is an added weapon that needs to be utilized.

Ya I remember that. I really liked that play call. I believe they had a receiver in motion, going in the opposite direction as well

I just looked it up. It was 3rd and 1 like you said. Second play of the second quarter. Pitch to Shady and he got 23 yards. Great blocks from Dawkins and Glenn. And maybe OLeary if I remember. Could have been a WR. Great call and execution though.

30 points (should have been 36 if it wasn't from special teams and poor clock management) and over 400 yards of offence wasn't good?..

No. For 1 blatantly obvious reason: zone blocking.

The players had a meeting with the coaches during the bye, and in no uncertain terms told them that they are power blockers/pulling guards. Every single one of these guys is a road grader, not a stretch play/horizontally get to a spot, guy.

We have the O line that BillinNYC has been demanding for 10 years...and we've misused it terribly this season Today, we actually ran some power blocking, especially on the TD drive where Shady tore it up. What a shocker that the run game looked better. :rolleyes:

Right after that, we went back to zone, for reasons passing all understanding, pissed the ball away and played JV defense right after, which let them get the tying TD.

For Pete's sake: let the O line play the way they were born to play. We saw it easy in the 4th qtr. Enough with "the scheme" let our guys hit the man in front of them and drive him back/get to the 2nd level. Shady is shady when we do that.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I actually still suspect that unless this team is already determined to move Cordy Glenn (which would be beyond stupid) Dawkins might end up at LG at some point as Richie slows down.... I honestly think he has more T/G versatility than he does L/R versatility.

I just looked it up. It was 3rd and 1 like you said. Second play of the second quarter. Pitch to Shady and he got 23 yards. Great blocks from Dawkins and Glenn. And maybe OLeary if I remember. Could have been a WR. Great call and execution though.

Also that play with Taiwan Jones that went for a huge first down was awesome.

I liked the offensive game plan. They finally realized those stretch run plays weren't working. One thing I'd throw in there that worked last year was the option near the goal line The choice to throw it on 3rd down to Shady before the game winning field goal was gutsy. Thankfully, he had the sense to stay in bounce.

I had Reggie Bush flashbacks in my head as it was a similar play. I'd pry be criticizing the conservative gimmicky call if Jones didn't make a couple of guys miss to get the 1st down.

Edited by Doc Brown

I dont like having a full back out there....it honestly clogs up the lanes and leaves shady less room for him to shift around.

I like the idea of trying to get the ball downfield....but there is no one that can do it. We saw that yesterday.

I dont like having a full back out there....it honestly clogs up the lanes and leaves shady less room for him to shift around.

I like the idea of trying to get the ball downfield....but there is no one that can do it. We saw that yesterday.

The first touchdown run we had the FB in and Demarco threw a key block and flattened a blitzing Buc.

Both Glenn and Dawkins pulled on that play and they easily took care of their assigments for an avenue to run through.

Overall, Rico did a nice job. The "pick play" where Logan Thomas scored was a nice play design withoug being illegal, he was wide open for the score. He called some designed QB runs, that was nice to see. Use TT's running ability, the guy is a playmaker with his legs.

I hated the way the 1st half ended, can't happen, though TT should be aware of the moment and to throw the ball away if the play isn't there. The Taiwan Jones play call was awful, it worked because of Taiwan Jones.

And now you wonder how good the team could have been if this "Brain Trust" decided to actually care about the offense and not go into that semi-tank mode.

How much better would they be with Watkins still on the team and as said a decent offense.

Of course they'll be talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Both Glenn and Dawkins pulled on that play and they easily took care of their assigments for an avenue to run through.

Overall, Rico did a nice job. The "pick play" where Logan Thomas scored was a nice play design withoug being illegal, he was wide open for the score. He called some designed QB runs, that was nice to see. Use TT's running ability, the guy is a playmaker with his legs.

I hated the way the 1st half ended, can't happen, though TT should be aware of the moment and to throw the ball away if the play isn't there. The Taiwan Jones play call was awful, it worked because of Taiwan Jones.

Watch bad Vlad on that play,he moved out into the middle on a zone block and had no one to block but the LCB on backside pursuit and he missed.

And now you wonder how good the team could have been if this "Brain Trust" decided to actually care about the offense and not go into that semi-tank mode.

How much better would they be with Watkins still on the team and as said a decent offense.

Of course they'll be talking out of both sides of their mouths.

He would probably be hurt by now ;)

BTW Thompson looked good and appears to be a great pick up.

No. For 1 blatantly obvious reason: zone blocking.

The players had a meeting with the coaches during the bye, and in no uncertain terms told them that they are power blockers/pulling guards. Every single one of these guys is a road grader, not a stretch play/horizontally get to a spot, guy.

We have the O line that BillinNYC has been demanding for 10 years...and we've misused it terribly this season Today, we actually ran some power blocking, especially on the TD drive where Shady tore it up. What a shocker that the run game looked better. :rolleyes:

Right after that, we went back to zone, for reasons passing all understanding, pissed the ball away and played JV defense right after, which let them get the tying TD.

For Pete's sake: let the O line play the way they were born to play. We saw it easy in the 4th qtr. Enough with "the scheme" let our guys hit the man in front of them and drive him back/get to the 2nd level. Shady is shady when we do that.

I agree with some of you points here.

But I think you are being a bit critical on yesterdays game plan.

They got 434 yards of offence and 30 points. (and should have been more as i mentioned earlier)

Were you expecting them to get 40 plus points and over 500 yards or something?

The final play of the first half was awful from top to bottom, but other than that things went well.

A smart coach doesn't call that play. Even if he does, the QB shouldn't make that throw. Even if he does, the WR should bat it down instead of catching it.

I'm just glad it didn't ultimately bite us in the butt.

The final play of the first half was awful from top to bottom, but other than that things went well.

A smart coach doesn't call that play. Even if he does, the QB shouldn't make that throw. Even if he does, the WR should bat it down instead of catching it.

I'm just glad it didn't ultimately bite us in the butt.

Ya I agree with what you said.

I am not going to put too much blame on Matthews though.

That one shocked me--especially in that situation and down and distance.

Maybe the most critical play/time of the game and they gave it to guy who hasn't had a snap all season, ran it wide...and it worked! Who are these guys...

YES! When that happened, for the weirdest of all feelings, my brain spoke to my eyes (saw the play visually), then my eyes had contact with my Brain again and told him to have communication with the heart and let him know what just happened. On the way to communicating with the heart, the lips said YOOOOOOOO lets GOOOOOO and word finally reached the heart and I just had that feeling that this team is definitely different than any other Bills team in the past decade.

I absolutely loved that play, that call and just who they chose to substitute in and not just substitute, but run the play on THAT side AND have him pull left. So good.