JW - Real QB?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod is 12th in passer rating. He's tied for least INT (2) with about four others who have thrown a decent amount of passes. His average per attempt is equal to Derek Carr and Prescott and ahead of Stafford and just behind Rodgers, Big Ben and Wilson (00.2 yards behind). And he has no receivers and doesn't count his running.

Taylor has his limitations, but as others have said, outside of Shady, he has next to nothing at the other skill positions (now that Clay is out). It's actually amazing to me that we are sitting at 4-2 when you look at our offensive roster (both sides really). Kudos to TT, McDermott, Rico and Frazier for the job they've done to this point.

Also, for years we thought Sammy was the next GOAT WR if Tyrod could only get him the ball. Turns out he may just be a guy who was overrated and only destined to be a solid number two type.

Exactly. JW has a huge ceiling and I'd take him in a NY minute. TT played well today but no need to dump on JW.

Does he really have a "huge ceiling" any more? It seems unrealistic to think that Winston -- or any other QB -- is going to continue to improve significantly throughout their career. Generally, it takes about three years of starting for QBs to reach their best playing level, and from there on, the best ones will increase somewhat incrementally because they get smarter and wiser from experience, but most will stay about where they are, and their bad habits will tend to stay ingrained.

This is Winston's third year as a full time starter, so it's unlikely that he's going to get significantly better in the future or lose the gunslinger mentality. There's not much more that TB can do to help him improve, either, since they already field a respectable OL, a nice contingent of receivers and decent RBs.

Taylor, OTOH, who is also in his third year as a starter, could benefit greatly from the Bills providing him with a better WR corps, better OL play, and, this year at least, a better running game. Is it going to make him an elite QB? Highly unlikely, but it could probably put him on the same level as Dalton, Flacco, Tannehill, Bradford, etc.which wouldn't be bad.

If you watch games around the league, the two common denominators for QB "success" is effective OL play and good receivers. Having a strong running game helps, too. Numerous big name QBs have had disastrous game or are having seasons this year because their teams are lacking in those areas.

A blurb from CBS sports says teams that turn the ball over three or more times are 3-34 this year so far. JW only was responsible for two of them but as a team they had three, and it's another indication that TT doesn't get the credit he deserves for not turning it over.

One of those 3 wins is the Bengals against us :bag:

Saw many posts in the game thread to the effect of "See what a real QB can do"

He did play great at times and looks like a solidly above average QB. He threw for nearly 400 yards but had a pick and two other picks dropped.

TT goes for 268, made some good plays with his feet, avoided at least two sure sacks, and no turnovers. Hell he even caught the ball for Zay twice.

I will take 268 an no picks all the way to the playoffs

The Bucs scored more points on us than any other team we've played this year. Don't forget, Winston did this on the road against a damn good defense, with a bum shoulder.

TT had a good game. To answer the question, yes Winston is a real QB and I would take him over TT in a heartbeat.

The Bucs scored more points on us than any other team we've played this year. Don't forget, Winston did this on the road against a damn good defense, with a bum shoulder.

TT had a good game. To answer the question, yes Winston is a real QB and I would take him over TT in a heartbeat.

Winston is better then I give him credit for......lets keep in mind his targets are much better then ours and he was STILL trying to throw it to the other team.....we should have had 2 more interceptions then the ones we already did

Winston is better then I give him credit for......lets keep in mind his targets are much better then ours and he was STILL trying to throw it to the other team.....we should have had 2 more interceptions then the ones we already did

Gotcha.

One advantage TT has is he was able to sit and learn the NFL game for a few years without being thrown into the "fire" as a rookie. He sat for 4 years in Baltimore. He can sit back, take it all in and kinda have a feel for what he's getting into. Winston has the Bucs hopes riding on his shoulders and he's only 23. This is in no way a knock on TT. The OP asked if Winston is a real QB. He's still a puppy by league standards. He will get better, as opposed to what So Tier says. If we beat the Raiders and Carr has a similar game to Winston, is he now not a real QB?

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. Brees

4. Tyrod

32. Everyone else

Come on now, one look at NFL's QB statistics and we see that Tyrod is ranked 29th in yards, 30th in attempts (Deshaun Watson is ranked 29th in attempts and has 15 TDs and 5 picks to Taylor's 7 TD's an 2 picks), dead last in yards per game, and 22nd in QB rating, why? because it's easy to get a good passer rating throwing check-downs to your RB and TE, blame it on the offensive run first scheme all you want but running the ball is supposed to open up the passing game w/ play action.

Come on now, one look at NFL's QB statistics and we see that Tyrod is ranked 29th in yards, 30th in attempts (Deshaun Watson is ranked 29th in attempts and has 15 TDs and 5 picks to Taylor's 7 TD's an 2 picks), dead last in yards per game, and 22nd in QB rating, why? because it's easy to get a good passer rating throwing check-downs to your RB and TE, blame it on the offensive run first scheme all you want but running the ball is supposed to open up the passing game w/ play action.

Thanks for the response. Youve certainly given us a lot to think about.

No, Tyrod is definitely the 4th best QB in the league. Think about it. Think about it.

I am a Tryod supporter, and I think he has played very well, in all 4 of our victories this year.

That said, you guys who think Winston is not good are nuts. He may not be Aaron Rodgers good, but he is kinda Brett Favre good, in my opinion.

Does he really have a "huge ceiling" any more? It seems unrealistic to think that Winston -- or any other QB -- is going to continue to improve significantly throughout their career. Generally, it takes about three years of starting for QBs to reach their best playing level, and from there on, the best ones will increase somewhat incrementally because they get smarter and wiser from experience, but most will stay about where they are, and their bad habits will tend to stay ingrained.

This is Winston's third year as a full time starter, so it's unlikely that he's going to get significantly better in the future or lose the gunslinger mentality. There's not much more that TB can do to help him improve, either, since they already field a respectable OL, a nice contingent of receivers and decent RBs.

Taylor, OTOH, who is also in his third year as a starter, could benefit greatly from the Bills providing him with a better WR corps, better OL play, and, this year at least, a better running game. Is it going to make him an elite QB? Highly unlikely, but it could probably put him on the same level as Dalton, Flacco, Tannehill, Bradford, etc.which wouldn't be bad.

If you watch games around the league, the two common denominators for QB "success" is effective OL play and good receivers. Having a strong running game helps, too. Numerous big name QBs have had disastrous game or are having seasons this year because their teams are lacking in those areas.

Winston is still improving. Both the eye test and the numbers support that. That said I have seen some improvements in Tyrod too... more than I expected at this stage of his career.

Gotcha.

One advantage TT has is he was able to sit and learn the NFL game for a few years without being thrown into the "fire" as a rookie. He sat for 4 years in Baltimore. He can sit back, take it all in and kinda have a feel for what he's getting into. Winston has the Bucs hopes riding on his shoulders and he's only 23. This is in no way a knock on TT. The OP asked if Winston is a real QB. He's still a puppy by league standards. He will get better, as opposed to what So Tier says. If we beat the Raiders and Carr has a similar game to Winston, is he now not a real QB?

I didn't say he wouldn't get better. I said I didn't think he would get significantly better ... make more large improvements like he did between his rookie season and last season and over last season. That's because his issues don't seem to be related to things he can "fix" like getting better at reading defenses. He's probably not going to be able to curb his gunslinger mentality entirely, and that's his worst fault. He can exercise more self-discipline as he gains experience, but when the chips are down, he's not always going to be able to ignore the urge to try to force the ball where he shouldn't. Favre played for 20 years, and he never did quite master that either.

Winston is still improving. Both the eye test and the numbers support that. That said I have seen some improvements in Tyrod too... more than I expected at this stage of his career.

I think Jameis is a very good QB now, but I think his future improvement is probably limited by his temperament ... his gunslinger mentalitiy is part of who he is, and that's not something he can really change.

Most QBs, even the best ones, tend to not make huge improvements after about their third years as full time starters. Most of their improvements after they've been starters for three years or so tend to come from more experience or from improved situations. Russell Wilson played really well as a rookie, but he was great as a sophomore and even better as a third year QB. He's probably even better now because of his experience, but the difference between his play between now and when he was a third year player is probably no where near the difference between his first and second year or his second and third years.

I don't think Tyrod's improvement this year is all that surprising in that this is his third year as a full time starter. I had hoped to see more improvement from him last season but maybe Dennison's system actually fits him better. I think he'd do even better if the Bills had better WRs but Clay and O'Reilly seem to have taken up some of the slack. Perhaps Deonte Thomas will, too.

So you think Tyrod will improve in year 3 but Jameis won't? Or won't as much? That seems the wrong way round to me but each to their own.

I think Jameis will be a top 10 QB by year's end.

The way things are going in the NFL this season, both Jameis and Tyrod might be Top Ten QBs by year's end simply by attrition. I think both can and will improve some this year but probably not all that much in the future. The original post I responded to suggested that Winston's future improvement was almost unlimited. I think Jameis is limited by his temperament. I think that Tyrod is limited also but he might improve simply because the situation on the team improved (ie, OL and WRs).

Too many fans think QBs exist in a vacuum, that they aren't affected by their team's situation. When a QB is a real bust, he's probably a bust anywhere, but sometimes decent QBs can look better or worse depending what resources the team provides for them. Would either Jameis or Tyrod look decent playing for Indy this season? I doubt that Andrew Luck looks decent playing for Indy ...

I didn't say he wouldn't get better. I said I didn't think he would get significantly better ... make more large improvements like he did between his rookie season and last season and over last season. That's because his issues don't seem to be related to things he can "fix" like getting better at reading defenses. He's probably not going to be able to curb his gunslinger mentality entirely, and that's his worst fault. He can exercise more self-discipline as he gains experience, but when the chips are down, he's not always going to be able to ignore the urge to try to force the ball where he shouldn't. Favre played for 20 years, and he never did quite master that either.

My bad, hope it didn't sound like I was calling you out. Not my intention.

"It's easy to get a good passer rating throwing check-downs...." ?!?

Taylor may have less attempts than typical, but he makes big plays at a higher rate than average. How can this be tested? Simple : The NFL tracks +20yd pass plays, so it's easy to divide that number by attempts for a ratio. Currently leading in this big-play rate is Goff, Brady, Brees and Cousins. Then come Watson, slightly ahead of Taylor, who is sixth in the league. He pushes the ball downfield at a higher rate than :

• Carson Palmer
  • Ben Roethlisberger
  • Cam Newton
  • Alex Smith
  • Russell Wilson
  • Carson Wentz
  • Derek Carr
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Dak Prescott
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Jameis Winston

That doesn't sound like checkdown-charlie, does it?

Edited by grb

:thumbsup:

that works both ways....we dont have to slam Tyrod to appreciate the talent of other qbs

TT has trouble with accuracy, read “ball placement.” It would be great to have his receiver corps but that won’t fix his throwing issues.

Actually....it would a little bit

If players that have "large catch radius" like Zay Jones not dropping balls that him him right in the hands it would go a LONG way