Fire Rico Now; be done with it.

Who knows, maybe Dennison is incompetent. It's quite possible.

However, let's say for sake of discussion that he is not. Why would the offense be having such problems after such efficient seasons in 2015 and 2016 if Dennison is in fact good?

• Offensive Line - Cordy Glenn's injuries, John Miller's regression, Jordan Mills is still Jordan Mills, and the overall learning curve of a new and entirely different blocking scheme has caused the OLine to go from very good to not-so-good.
  • Taylor staying in the pocket - Considering the absence of the read-option play and Taylor remaining in the pocket like a prototypical NFL quarterback, it's been much easier for opposing defenses to stop the run. They don't have to take Taylor's mobility into account nearly as often. You could say, "Then why doesn't Dennison put in the read-option and let Tyrod run more?!" And I would say it's a call the entire organization made before the season began: seeing if Taylor could be a real NFL quarterback who could pick opposing defenses apart with his arm.
  • Wide Receiver unit - A regression in the skill and talent from this unit considering injuries and other factors. Without having to pay quite as much attention to the WR's, opposing defenses can stack the line and dare Taylor to beat them with his arm.
  • Tyrod Taylor is still a flawed NFL QB - Taylor still has trouble making his progressions at a sufficient rate, still lacks pocket awareness, and still refuses to attempt to throw receivers open on a consistent basis. Whether the wide receivers can make the play or not - it's Taylor's responsibility to attempt the passes instead of hesitating and taking the sack. Because of this, he hasn't been able to keep defenses honest and prevent them from stacking the line.

Couldn't all four of these things be true? And if so, wouldn't that result in the offense's regression even with a talented offensive coordinator?

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Ok. So you want Dennison coaching up a 1st round rookie QB, and requiring at least 3 new offensive linemen bc the current olinemen we have cant block in his scheme? Miller was rated as one of the best OG last season; a really good young player. And now hes benched in favor of Ducasse. DUCASSE?!

We dont owe Dennison anything. He clearly wasnt McD's first choice. Its not working. Cut it loose now.

Seriously, I have not previously heard that Dennison was not McDermott's first choice. Is there a link, or can you tell me how you know this?

Ok. So you want Dennison coaching up a 1st round rookie QB, and requiring at least 3 new offensive linemen bc the current olinemen we have cant block in his scheme? Miller was rated as one of the best OG last season; a really good young player. And now hes benched in favor of Ducasse. DUCASSE?!

We dont owe Dennison anything. He clearly wasnt McD's first choice. Its not working. Cut it loose now.

Agree. Cut it before the stench sticks to the rookie QB we draft.

Dennison is every bit as bad as Hackett. Find a dynamic OC and draft Tyrod's replacement. Let Sean run the defense.

Sadly i dont think derm has the stones to fire him. And Pegs will be advised against it.

This offense is the product of a bad OC - yes the talent at WR and TE isn't good, but running stretch zone plays, not utilizing play action and benching good players is on the OC. They had good coaching with the same talent up front the past two years and they could run the ball. Don't oversell yourself on how good the WRs were the past two years - they were better than these guys now, sure - but not exactly a group that instilled fear.

I don't care about his past with other teams.

There is not an OC in history who could make this offense decent with the current roster.

You don't think there's an OC in history that could make the rushing offense better than 28th in rushing YPA? I can think of 2. Hint: they both coached the Bills last year, when our rush offense was #1.

Wood and Incognito have hit the wall, they were running around like the Keystone cops. In specifically Richie at 34 years old. John Miller has fallen out of favor, Vlad is brutal but Castillo's boy. Mills is a dime a dozen tackle, Dawkins was drafted to be a right tackle and forced to play left which the outside shoulder to punch with is not his strongest arm. Your wide receivers that the opposing team doesnt respect or Zay Jones and Tate. You lose Clay and you have O'Leary running around not near the threat Clay is.

Fire the OC ? He's an offensive coordinator we are expecting the qb to make up for lack of players ? He's a descent qb but not capable of that.

Chill out take the week off, they can't lose next week and we'll see where we are two Sundays from now

Edited by CardinalScotts

Seriously, I have not previously heard that Dennison was not McDermott's first choice. Is there a link, or can you tell me how you know this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/report-sean-mcdermott-wants-to-bring-mike-mccoy-with-him-as-oc/

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/10/14233386/mike-mccoy-still-linked-with-sean-mcdermott-as-potential-buffalo-bills-offensive-coordinator

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/11/sean-mcdermott-expected-to-hire-mike-mccoy-as-oc-if-hired-by-bills/

McCoy is one of the brightest young minds in the NFL, having spent eight years with Carolina before being hired as the Denver Broncos offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, where he showed that he was capable of adjusting an offense to fit the skill set of varying passers. In 2009, quarterback Kyle Orton enjoyed one of his most successful seasons as a pro, but when he began to regress, he was replaced byTim Tebow.

RELATED

usatsi_8165493.jpg?w=100

Instead of trying to pigeonhole Tebow into the Broncos’ current scheme, McCoy completely altered the offense to fit his strengths. Denver relied on a dominant offensive line and rushing attack that kept Tebow from having to rely on his arm. The Broncos led the NFL in rushing with 2,632 yards, while Tebow attempted just 271 passes, rushing for 660 yards and six scores. The plan worked, as Denver posted a 7-4 record under the former Gator ran a lot of read-option.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/report-sean-mcdermott-wants-to-bring-mike-mccoy-with-him-as-oc/

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/10/14233386/mike-mccoy-still-linked-with-sean-mcdermott-as-potential-buffalo-bills-offensive-coordinator

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/11/sean-mcdermott-expected-to-hire-mike-mccoy-as-oc-if-hired-by-bills/

McCoy is one of the brightest young minds in the NFL, having spent eight years with Carolina before being hired as the Denver Broncos offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, where he showed that he was capable of adjusting an offense to fit the skill set of varying passers. In 2009, quarterback Kyle Orton enjoyed one of his most successful seasons as a pro, but when he began to regress, he was replaced byTim Tebow.

RELATED

usatsi_8165493.jpg?w=100

Ahhh, yes. I remember now. Thanks!

Watkins and Woods were both out last yr at the same time. Shady got injured in the same game vs the Dolphins. We were missing Sammy, Woods, and Shady. And we still moved the ball, on the road, and scored what 25pts? Its been done.

Problem #1 the Oline cant run block. Thats a pretty large problem when youre built to run the ball, wouldnt you say? Its the equivalent of putting racing tires on a wrangler and being surprised when it cant function Offroad

OK so: last year through 5 games we had, offensively:

-Played the Ravens, Jets, Cards, Pats, and Rams

-833 passing yards

-686 rushing yards

-82 first downs

-23.4 ppg

This year through five games we have, offensively:

-played the Jets, Panthers, Broncos, Falcons, and Bengals

-825 passing yards

-533 rushing yards

-81 first downs

-17.8 ppg

By my estimation, averaging the 2016 end of year defensive rankings of yards and PPG of the defenses we played last season, as compared to the defenses we've faced this year thus far, we have played a more difficult slate of games through five games in 2017 than in 2016. It does not surprise me, then, that rushing yards and PPG are off the pace of last year. It's similarly unsurprising (to me at least) that we're right on pace for the same output from the passing game, and have gained the same amount of first downs in total. Finally, it is wholly, completely, and utterly unsurprising that Bills fans are calling for the OC to be fired already.

The even bigger problem is

Juan Castillo

Offensive Line / Run Game Coordinator

Plus Dennison not letting Taylor do what he is best at scramble , run , not pocket and timing passes.

100%. Need to fire this bum

this was talked about last season....

How many more OC's shall we run through before we find one that can make TT great?

Theres only been 1 OC change. Roman. And that was done bc rex couldnt fire himself.

Lynn became a HC on the backs of TT and Shady.

I second his nomination for the position of ex-coach. Whar's Gailry up to?

One thing I will note: we have made OC changes recently and seen pretty big improvements right away, suggesting that you really can boost an offense by changing the guy drawing up and calling the plays.

Why not? Our offense looks horrid, and I don't think Tyrod's running asset is being used correctly....meaning....it's not being used hardly at all.

One thing I will note: we have made OC changes recently and seen pretty big improvements right away, suggesting that you really can boost an offense by changing the guy drawing up and calling the plays.

Why not? Our offense looks horrid, and I don't think Tyrod's running asset is being used correctly....meaning....it's not being used hardly at all.

There's a reason for that.

I haven't found a reason to blame Dennison specifically.

It seems like a lot of our woes have come down to a lack of execution. The lack of a passing game is our biggest issue, and I'm certainly not going to blame Dennison for that.

Who knows, maybe Dennison is incompetent. It's quite possible.

However, let's say for sake of discussion that he is not. Why would the offense be having such problems after such efficient seasons in 2015 and 2016 if Dennison is in fact good?

• Offensive Line - Cordy Glenn's injuries, John Miller's regression, Jordan Mills is still Jordan Mills, and the overall learning curve of a new and entirely different blocking scheme has caused the OLine to go from very good to not-so-good.
  • Taylor staying in the pocket - Considering the absence of the read-option play and Taylor remaining in the pocket like a prototypical NFL quarterback, it's been much easier for opposing defenses to stop the run. They don't have to take Taylor's mobility into account nearly as often. You could say, "Then why doesn't Dennison put in the read-option and let Tyrod run more?!" And I would say it's a call the entire organization made before the season began: seeing if Taylor could be a real NFL quarterback who could pick opposing defenses apart with his arm.
  • Wide Receiver unit - A regression in the skill and talent from this unit considering injuries and other factors. Without having to pay quite as much attention to the WR's, opposing defenses can stack the line and dare Taylor to beat them with his arm.
  • Tyrod Taylor is still a flawed NFL QB - Taylor still has trouble making his progressions at a sufficient rate, still lacks pocket awareness, and still refuses to attempt to throw receivers open on a consistent basis. Whether the wide receivers can make the play or not - it's Taylor's responsibility to attempt the passes instead of hesitating and taking the sack. Because of this, he hasn't been able to keep defenses honest and prevent them from stacking the line.

Couldn't all four of these things be true? And if so, wouldn't that result in the offense's regression even with a talented offensive coordinator?

....if theoretically TT is NOT part of the long term plan, why not utilize his skillset that made 2015 & 2016 far more successful capitalizing on his mobility?.....forcing a "round peg into a square hole" when the "peg" is likely to be gone in 2018 at the expense of winning games doesn't add up IMO..........

The problem is that we dont fire coaches soon enough. Rex shouldve been gone after week 2 last season. We let them linger, bring in their own crappy schemes and set the team back another 3yrs.

Now we are going to have to give Dennison 2-3yrs to bring in Olineman that can run his offense?

No.

You don't be the Browns and fire everybody. This constant changing of schemes is stupid and has caused this drought to go on and on.

Keep Dennison at least for this year unless something absolutely drastic happens. Firing him in week 5 of his first year here is silly.

Also, I bet half the people calling for G-ro to come back were the same ones calling for his head last year.

Edited by BillsEnthusiast

Let's not forget Dennison was a linebacker in his playing days. I asked the question before: has there ever been a defensive player that decided to coach offense and went on to have measurable success? Rico is a bright guy, his fallback job if football didn't work out was one of those high level science careers. Unfortunately he's just not a good offensive coordinator. I would love if the Bills took the Bengals route and dismissed him during the bye week. Maybe we'd get lucky with another Anthony Lynn type if Culley was promoted, the current QB coach. Remember, Lynn had never called plays before his promotion either...

I am not a fan of the play calling but there is a lot more to it. No OC is going to be fired with a 3-2 record. 3-2 with no stand out offensive talent besides McCoy and Clay. The Bills do not have any legit WR's. Nobody that needs to be doubled. Taylor doesnt seem to have any confidence in who he is throwing to and he is still missing chances to make plays. The Oline is not taking to the zone blocking scheme very well. If Dennison calls more passes but Taylor doesnt throw it while taking a sack or scrambling out of bounds then changing the OC will make no difference.

While this is colossally stupid idea, it is hardly the stupidest ever to emerge from the bowels of this board, I do you give you credit for elevating the stupidity...

This is the exact kind of thinking that has lead to 17 playoff-less years.

While this is colossally stupid idea, it is hardly the stupidest ever to emerge from the bowels of this board, I do you give you credit for elevating the stupidity...

This is the exact kind of thinking that has lead to 17 playoff-less years.

So you're saying you think it might work.

The even bigger problem is

Juan Castillo
Offensive Line / Run Game Coordinator
Plus Dennison not letting Taylor do what he is best at scramble , run , not pocket and timing passes.

This!!!

The run game is in the toilet at #12th in the league in rushing after being first the previous two years. 2015-2016. McCoy averaged 4.4 yards per rush in 2015 and 5.4 in 2016 and he is only averaging 3.2 YPC which is less then he has in his entire career.

The problem isn't McCoy either as he is doing his Marshawn Lynch in Buffalo impression by getting hit about as soon as he touches the ball.

RELATED

usatsi_8165493.jpg?w=100

Instead of trying to pigeonhole Tebow into the Broncos’ current scheme, McCoy completely altered the offense to fit his strengths. Denver relied on a dominant offensive line and rushing attack that kept Tebow from having to rely on his arm. The Broncos led the NFL in rushing with 2,632 yards, while Tebow attempted just 271 passes, rushing for 660 yards and six scores. The plan worked, as Denver posted a 7-4 record under the former Gator ran a lot of read-option.

He was never coming to Buffalo, or anywhere else. He made that clear, that Denver was really his only choice. And he was contacted by something like 7 different teams when he was fired by the Chargers. He had options.

But for the point of discussion..the theme of the article can't be emphasized enough. McCoy is a coveted coordinator because 1) he knows how game plan to defeat a defense and 2) he can, and will adapt to the players he has.

People want to just accept that an OC..or a DC, will run "their" system, that the players must adapt to that system, or an entire squad of new players must be brought in who "fit" that system.

It is a bad way to coach and a bad way to run an organization. This is especially true when the coordinator is questionable at best.

I will say that I thought he showed a little promise after the Carolina game. He implemented some PA and some bootlegs in the pass game to add a little misdirection. But his continuous use of the stretch play in the run game reminds me of Hackett continuously running the read option with a QB (Manuel), who had little desire to carry the ball.

I'd consider firing him if there was a good alternative, I just don't know who would be available.

At the very least, this two weeks is a really good time to look back at the 2015-2016 game film and playbook and start putting things in that worked. If you're going to be a run heavy team, which they are...make it a productive run heavy team.

This is what is most frustrating...in 2015-16, the Bills finally had some semblance of an offense. But we watched a coach married to a scheme who ruined a high quality D. And for those 2 years, we missed the playoffs because the coach was married to a scheme.

Now, the D is back. There is really no reason to miss the playoffs again because a coach is married to a scheme.

Go back to what works.

....if theoretically TT is NOT part of the long term plan, why not utilize his skillset that made 2015 & 2016 far more successful capitalizing on his mobility?.....forcing a "round peg into a square hole" when the "peg" is likely to be gone in 2018 at the expense of winning games doesn't add up IMO..........

They're here to build a winner for the long-term, not just put a band-aid on the current season. A strictly mobile quarterback is not sustainable over the long-term. They love Taylor's character but if he can't function like an NFL quarterback then he's not someone we want to keep around.

I don't think I've ever openly advocated for anyone to be fired this soon. In no specific order:

1. He was't McD's first choice to be the OC for the Bills; he was essentially the best option left on the table for the Bills.

2. His last stints as OC (Denver and Houston) his offenses have managed to finished 11th; 11th; 10th; and 31st (Houston)....then 18th; 21st (Denver); in points scored (we're currently 26th); much like Rex Ryan, his schemes and gameplans haven't evolved; his offenses have gotten stagnant or worse over the years. And that was with him being linked to Kubiak, who sometimes took over control of the playcalling at halftime according to Denver fans b/c it wasn't working out for the team (as per their message boards). Houston fans were happy to see him leave; Denver fans were really happy to see him leave. How many people here were actually happy to see Lynn leave? Not many. For good reason.

3. The guy is 60yrs old and he wasn't McD's first choice. Forget Tyrod, do we want Rico to be the OC for a rookie QB? Is this the offensive mind we intend to have groom our future QB? Is this the guy that's going to be here for the next 3-5yrs?

4. Dennison, in less than half a season, has managed to turn the #1 rushing offense in the league in 2015/2016, to a bottom-half rushing offense. Shady has one rushing game of +100yds this season; he has 4 consecutive games of garbage. Shady has scored 0 Touchdowns so far. He is averaging 3.2yds per carry. His career low prior to this was 4.1ypc back in his rookie season.

4a. Tyrod is averaging 3.8 yds per rush; and he averaged 6.1 last season. Tyrod has zero rushing TD's as well; he had 6 last season. Tyrod and Shady have combined for ZERO RUSHING TD'S THROUGH 5 GAMES. Let that sink in. This team was built to run the ball and its two main threats have a combined ZERO RUSHING TD'S. How we're even 3-2 is a miracle.

5. Miller and the offensive line dominated the run game last season; they look lost this season. Miller is now being benched in favor of Ducasse. Ducasse is not the future, he's garbage. If Rico thinks Ducasse is better than Miller, then that alone is an indictment of where Rico's worth to this team. This O-line clearly doesn't work well with Rico's run blocking scheme because the majority of the run plays the D-line is blowing up our O-line at the LOS. How many rushes has Shady had for -3 or -4 yards because the defender is in the backfield before Shady even has the ball.

What Rico is doing to this offense is no different than what Rex did to the defense. Rico is taking players out of their element and making them perform functions they don't excel at in order to fit his antiquated scheme. Is this the guy we plan on developing our future QB? His play calling is wildly inconsistent, at best; it lacks imagination; it simply doesn't perform. His offenses haven't performed well since at least 2012.

Cut the cord now; the Bengals cut it and have vastly improved. We cut it last year with Roman and vastly improved. Rico is not the future for anyone currently on this offense or anyone that we'll be drafting next year.

There is a reason why Denver allowed the Bills to interview him and not their other OC.

Let's not forget Dennison was a linebacker in his playing days. I asked the question before: has there ever been a defensive player that decided to coach offense and went on to have measurable success? Rico is a bright guy, his fallback job if football didn't work out was one of those high level science careers. Unfortunately he's just not a good offensive coordinator. I would love if the Bills took the Bengals route and dismissed him during the bye week. Maybe we'd get lucky with another Anthony Lynn type if Culley was promoted, the current QB coach. Remember, Lynn had never called plays before his promotion either...

Who cares if he was a backup linebacker in the NFL? He played wide receiver in college and has spent the last 22 years immersed in Shanahan's offense. Mike Leach didn't even play football and he's one of the greatest college football coaches of all-time. Awful take.

If they fire Rico, they will just promote Castillo!!

Wash your mouth...er, fingers off with soap!

(See, that doesn't really translate well....) .

They're here to build a winner for the long-term, not just put a band-aid on the current season. A strictly mobile quarterback is not sustainable over the long-term. They love Taylor's character but if he can't function like an NFL quarterback then he's not someone we want to keep around.

SOME mobility is great. A serious running QB won't last too long, IMO. Edited by Augie