McDermott: Bills Need More Urgency from Dareus

26CornerBlitz

Dareus to me is still and above average effective player even though he is supposedly not busting his ass out there. I really hope that he gets it in gear, because he is an absolutely dominant force when he is locked in. If this defense is going to be dominant against the better offenses in the league then they will need Dareus out there performing at a high level. Interior pressure is the most direct way to get after a QB and Dareus can be a great interior pass rusher and run stuffer.

Hopefully McD can find a way to reach him, otherwise I see a pennies on the dollar trade coming in the off-season.

Dareus still being a effective player and the tantalizing potential he has leads me to think that a team would take on his large contract for a mid round pick. Some team desperate to improve defensively would easily be willing to give up a 4th or 5th round pick for him hoping that a new environment could turn him around or at worst they get a above average player who is still better than what they had.

For me it is frustrating that he isn't the dominant force he can be, as good as the defense has been they need Dareus to be the man up the middle if they want to be dominant against New England, Atlanta, and other elite offenses.

I'm not denying his enormous talent, but the track record for very large men with questionable drive and vast bank holdings isn't especially good.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not denying his enormous talent, but the track record for very large men with questionable drive and vast bank holdings isn't especially good.

At this point I would be surprised, for sure, if he reached his potential.

I did hear from a very valid source, that Marcel was really influenced by Mario, and held him in huge regard as soon as he got to Buffalo, and (this is my reading of what was told me) Mario basically fukked him because Mario became a malcontent and locker room lawyer and Marcel was influenced by all of that nonsense.

Surely not an excuse. Surely Mario has been gone for a year and a half. But I could see that happening. I have given Marcel the benefit of the doubt too many times. He clearly needs to clean up his act and game and start to earn that paycheck. But I think that did likely play a part in his lethargic play the last couple years.

In 2014 he did live in the opposing teams backfield. He was a one man wrecking crew. It was beautiful.

Such a shame he just doesn't care.

Anyone remember the Players Tribune written by Albert Haynesworth? It's my point of reference for all things Marcel. Specifically this:

If nothing else, listen to me on this, Albert: Do not leave the Tennessee Titans. Your defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is a mastermind. No matter how much I tell you this, you’ll probably never realize it until your career is over, but it’s true. You’re like a system quarterback. You thrive in a very specific scheme. When you hit free agency, the Washington Redskins are going to offer you $100 million. Everyone will talk about this (they won’t talk about the fact that most of that money is not guaranteed, or that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offered you $135 million). The $100 million will become a huge burden. Take less and stay in Tennessee where you belong.

Oh, when you get on that first phone call with Dan Snyder and the organization in Washington, it’ll be all good. “We want you to play just like you did in Tennessee, Albert. We’re going to let you loose and destroy the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles. That’s your job.”

Then during your first OTA, you’re going to be introduced to a different brand of football. I can already see you rolling your damn eyes. How can football be different? I’m a defensive lineman. Well, football in Washington versus football in Tennessee was like the difference between a general physician and a cardiologist. Both doctors. One is just a little more sophisticated.

People are going to be all over you for your contract, and you’re going to feel really frustrated. You’re going to do some dumb things. But what people aren’t going to see is Mike Shanahan calling you into his office and saying, “Albert, we just want you to eat up space. All we want you to do is grab the center and let the linebackers run free.”

You’re going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, “You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?”

And he’s going to say, with a straight face, “Albert, if you have more than one sack this season, I’m going to be pissed.”

The last thing you’ll say before walking out of the office is, “Can’t you just pay someone $300,000 a year to do that?”

Edited by The Big Cat

I did hear from a very valid source, that Marcel was really influenced by Mario, and held him in huge regard as soon as he got to Buffalo, and (this is my reading of what was told me) Mario basically fukked him because Mario became a malcontent and locker room lawyer and Marcel was influenced by all of that nonsense.

Surely not an excuse. Surely Mario has been gone for a year and a half. But I could see that happening. I have given Marcel the benefit of the doubt too many times. He clearly needs to clean up his act and game and start to earn that paycheck. But I think that did likely play a part in his lethargic play the last couple years.

I think it also doesn't help that Rex was the coach the first two years of his huge contract. Dareus for sure was one of the top defensive players in the league in 2014 and was pretty dam good from 2011-2013. He certainly justified a big contract either from the Bills or from someone else. But he gets his huge money while the team has a undisciplined players coach at the helm.

Rex lost that locker room and Dareus lost his focus. Now McD is trying to get him back on track but the damage might be done. I think that with Sammy and Darby gone you really have Dareus out there on an island. It seems like all the other vets have bought in and the rest of the team is new. Hopefully McD is able to get him to buy in because this defense can be that much more scary if Dareus buys in.

Anyone remember the Players Tribune written by Albert Haynesworth? It's my point of reference for all things Marcel. Specifically this:

I remember that piece well. The issue is that when he got out of there (after a scant two years!), he didn't pick up his game at all.

Interesting story, and it has the ring of truth. But no excuses with a contract like that.

Makes sense that Dareus would choose a guy who threatened suicide to his girlfriend because she hurt his feelings to be his role model rather than a man whose done nothing but the right thing on and off the field for 10+ years in the same organization.

USATSI_8775700_168380616_lowres.jpg

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Peer pressure is what is needed. Don't be surprised if that happens. There are a lot of big boys in that locker room that care. It will be interesting how the rest of the year plays out.

....an earful from Kyle and Richie could do the trick...cautiously pessimistic though.......

@WGR550

McDermott - I believe Dareus is mentally and emotionally on board here #Bills

thatone of the weirdest statements i have read in quite awhile

Having Kyle and Richie pin him against the locker room wall and tell him they'll kick his sss if he doesn't shape up might be even more effective

or just kick it to he promises to be on time

@MatthewFairburn

What Marcell Dareus said about why he took a knee, his foundation work and Jim Kelly's reaction to team: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/what_bills_marcell_dareus_said_about_jim_kelly_protests_and_community_work.html

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- Marcell Dareus can't tie his shoes without facing criticism from Buffalo Bills fans. The hulking defense tackle hasn't lived up to the enormous contract extension he signed in 2015. Injuries, poor effort and off-field trouble have held him back.

So when he decided to take a knee during the national anthem along with some of his teammates on Sunday, he faced some of that same criticism. Of course, his play on the field shouldn't have anything to do with the message he is trying to deliver.

I always root for people who live up to their potential...but Dareus is CHOOSING to squander the opportunities that he has been blessed with. I have zero patience for that kind of 'urgency'. A true waste.

he's choosing to collect a paycheck that is more than most of us see in our entire lifetime which is worse to me.

I look at someone like Kyle and then look a Marcell and get sick of how both agents work over teams and players mail it in when they get paid.

he's choosing to collect a paycheck that is more than most of us see in our entire lifetime which is worse to me.

I look at someone like Kyle and then look a Marcell and get sick of how both agents work over teams and players mail it in when they get paid.

I look at someone like E.J. GAINES who has fought and fought and fought through injuries and is finally making a huge impact in the NFL. That's more effort and determination than Dareus could ever possibly match.

I always root for people who live up to their potential...but Dareus is CHOOSING to squander the opportunities that he has been blessed with. I have zero patience for that kind of 'urgency'. A true waste.

I do not think the game is over yet, so dont fold your dareus cards just yet. stand pat

I look at someone like E.J. GAINES who has fought and fought and fought through injuries and is finally making a huge impact in the NFL. That's more effort and determination than Dareus could ever possibly match.

that's fair. I compare him to meatball because they are the same build and other than, you know, a broken leg and bone spurs Kyle has been grinding it for years without an issue. Edited by The Wiz

Through the years I've learned we know only so much of what people are dealing with. Dareus was blessed with many physical skills but what little we know about him personally points towards an incredibly tough road. Just because he's huge and quick doesn't mean he's been given some of the mental, social and emotional advantages some of us have.

$100m is tempting but I'd have to think twice about whether I'd trade spots with him due to my many blessings and relatively few challenges I've had to face.

Through the years I've learned we know only so much of what people are dealing with. Dareus was blessed with many physical skills but what little we know about him personally points towards an incredibly tough road. Just because he's huge and quick doesn't mean he's been given some of the mental, social and emotional advantages some of us have.

$100m is tempting but I'd have to think twice about whether I'd trade spots with him due to my many blessings and relatively few challenges I've had to face.

Well said. One thing I've learned through some rough life lessons is I personally want to judge less. I get wanting people to excel and do their best, but sometimes what you are seeing IS their best, or the best they can do at that time. It does NOT mean they can't learn to live up to potential. They may just be acting lazy, who knows? But they are people with all the strengths and weaknesses the rest of us have but on a higher stage magnifying everything.

Don't get me wrong, fans will always judge players (and that's fine), but judging people is different. Dareus is not choosing to say "I will underachieve today". It's far more complicated, IMO.

Peer pressure is what is needed. Don't be surprised if that happens. There are a lot of big boys in that locker room that care. It will be interesting how the rest of the year plays out.

You can't get rid of him so I'm hoping he'll get with the program. He might surprise us Sunday.

Well said. One thing I've learned through some rough life lessons is I personally want to judge less. I get wanting people to excel and do their best, but sometimes what you are seeing IS their best, or the best they can do at that time. It does NOT mean they can't learn to live up to potential. They may just be acting lazy, who knows? But they are people with all the strengths and weaknesses the rest of us have but on a higher stage magnifying everything.

Don't get me wrong, fans will always judge players (and that's fine), but judging people is different. Dareus is not choosing to say "I will underachieve today". It's far more complicated, IMO.

This is nonsense. I have seen humans perform in the most demanding and in the harshest environments under extreme stress thousands if miles away from there family.

There is literally nothing holding him back but himself. Himan will is an amazing thing.

This is nonsense. I have seen humans perform in the most demanding and in the harshest environments under extreme stress thousands if miles away from there family.

There is literally nothing holding him back but himself. Himan will is an amazing thing.

Describe nonsense.

I don't care for Dareus to be on our team at this point. But, things aren't always black and white with humans. And, Dareus is human. And, all humans are different.

Thank you! Nobody's saying that Dareus should be taken out and beaten. He can wallow in a lack of self motivation till the proverbial cows come home. Everyone has stuff that has, or is, happening to them...EVERYONE. I'll compare my list to of stuff with anyone's. What defines people is not what happens TO them but what they DO about it. Sadly this has been lost in modern day America.

Marcel....get up off the sofa!

Thank you! Nobody's saying that Dareus should be taken out and beaten. He can wallow in a lack of self motivation till the proverbial cows come home. Everyone has stuff that has, or is, happening to them...EVERYONE. I'll compare my list to of stuff with anyone's. What defines people is not what happens TO them but what they DO about it. Sadly this has been lost in modern day America.

Marcel....get up off the sofa!

I don't know. I said earlier, maybe if Kyle and Richie pinned him against a wall and threatened to beat the snot out of him he'd wake up.

@JonScottTV

McDermott says Marcell Dareus is set to play Sunday vs. #Falcons. #Bills

Good news. I'm as frustrated with Dareus as anyone but also amazed at how many here freely conflate his past character/emotional issues with his current injury. What if he was just hurt? Or is he no longer allowed that possibility?

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Good news. I'm as frustrated with Dareus as anyone but also amazed at how many here freely conflate his past character/emotional issues with his current injury. What if he was just hurt? Or is he no longer allowed that possibility?

I think it's because injury and urgency are two different things. He's got one, but lacks the other. Bills fans wish it was flipped.